Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 997 today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 12:10 PM
lebby83
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LISsailor
Went with what appears to be OEM from Suncoast. I bought one for each side ~ $100.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/997504SGF.html
Thanks. Those are the ones I was going to go with.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:43 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 408 Posts

Ok, thanks! I will get around to this then.

Originally Posted by LISsailor
It was much easier than anticipated. I heated it only for a short while with a regular hair dryer. I started to peel the guards with just my finger nail and no residue was left behind. Quick wipe with a cloth and new ones went on without much drama. I procrastinated this project for the same reasons as you but it went just fine and took less than 30mins.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:03 PM
Christian Stark
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

Sitting at the waiting room of my Indy today having the PDK Clutch and Transmission service done. 2009 C4S with 50K miles, but car is 10 years old, so just getting the 12 year/120K PDK service done. Car still had the original PDK pan on, so new pan and filter getting installed to.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:37 PM
chuckgm3
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Picked up my Getty Ducktail from the first paint shop I picked. It's been sitting there for over a week and they've barely touched it with some sandpaper. Dropped it off at another paint shop. Here's hoping the 2nd time is a charm.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:34 AM
Christian Stark
Racer

Originally Posted by Christian Stark
Sitting at the waiting room of my Indy today having the PDK Clutch and Transmission service done. 2009 C4S with 50K miles, but car is 10 years old, so just getting the 12 year/120K PDK service done. Car still had the original PDK pan on, so new pan and filter getting installed to.
Well bad luck strikes, and turns a $1200 maintenance into a $3500 job.

PDK had the OEM pan on it from 2009 - Needs new pan/filter
Tensioner is sticking when they are replacing the belt - Need a new tensioner
Hoses for coolant showing crusty dried coolant in several places - Hoses being replaced.

Oh well!
Old 05-08-2019, 11:48 AM
jayi836
Burning Brakes

Received 260 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian Stark
Well bad luck strikes, and turns a $1200 maintenance into a $3500 job.

PDK had the OEM pan on it from 2009 - Needs new pan/filter
Tensioner is sticking when they are replacing the belt - Need a new tensioner
Hoses for coolant showing crusty dried coolant in several places - Hoses being replaced.

Oh well!
Would love to see what that PDK fluid looks like after 50K, Great to be proactive just did similar service on my 08 turbo replacing all the fluids including coolant.(5 year or 150K)
Old 05-08-2019, 11:52 AM
Christian Stark
Racer

Originally Posted by jayi836
Would love to see what that PDK fluid looks like after 50K, Great to be proactive just did similar service on my 08 turbo replacing all the fluids including coolant.(5 year or 150K)
I asked one person to save the pan so I could inspect, but they probably forgot. I was waiting at the shop while they did the work yesterday, but once they had to order more parts to have shipped, they gave me a ride home.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:55 PM
EG997C2
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Added black Porsche side stripes to try something different along with the much needed black rear emblem to tie everything together.

Name:  PI1I4yih.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  279.7 KB
Name:  O1zifgAh.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  289.3 KB
Name:  opgnyduh.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  293.7 KB
Old 05-08-2019, 04:48 PM
chuckgm3
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EG997C2
Added black Porsche side stripes to try something different along with the much needed black rear emblem to tie everything together.
Humina!

I might need to do these. Where did you buy? Are they vinyl? Did you apply yourself? Any difficulty lining up?

Thanks
Old 05-08-2019, 04:55 PM
EG997C2
Banned

Originally Posted by chuckgm3
Humina!

I might need to do these. Where did you buy? Are they vinyl? Did you apply yourself? Any difficulty lining up?

Thanks
Yes, they are vinyl and can be purchased on ebay or renndecals in variety of colors and widths (these are 3"). You have to take your time to measure and mark if you want them to line up perfect. Start to finish probably took me 1.5-2 hours and they came out perfect.

Name:  Evg4HmDh.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  92.5 KB
Name:  QtIZGlnh.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  87.1 KB
Old 05-08-2019, 05:51 PM
jgrilo
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice!
Old 05-08-2019, 07:12 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 805 Likes on 453 Posts

I bought 997 GT3 coilovers from EG997C2 a few months back.
I also got some OEM 997.1 GT3 wheels.
Next, I had Glenn Yee disassemble the GT3 coilovers, inspect them, and dyno them.
While the coilovers were at Glenn Yee Motorsports, I also got the Eibach Swaybar Kit (front + rear) as well as their new front and rear adjustable endlinks.
Once I had everything needed for the install, I went to Pro Motorsports in Burbank and had Tyson Schmidt install everything and dial it all in.
I doubt I will write a separate exhaustive review of all this since others have written on these swaps previously but right away the car does not lean as much as before in corners, which I found annoying that a factory sports car would have so much lean stock. I also noticed that the car porpoises way less. This word is new to me but intuitive. Mainly I noticed dive during hard braking and the rear would squat down excessively on acceleration. I will eventually get semi-solid motor mounts as well but the GT3 coilovers + the Eibach swaybars and adjustable endlinks seems to have eliminated this altogether after a couple commutes. In addition, the GT3 coilovers feel like GT3 coilovers if you have driven a GT3. That sounds stupid but I mean that the suspension feels like other GT3s that I have driven regularly rather than a C2S with mods, which I have driven more regularly than GT3s unfortunately. This is to say that the overall setup is stiffer than a C2S in normal but more compliant than a C2S in sport mode. The real shocker is how compliant the GT3 PASM is over the C2S PASM in sport mode. The GT3 PASM in sport mode feels WAAAAY more livable on normal roads. I will continue to play with the settings as I drive but the difference between normal and sport is less on the GT3 coilovers than on the C2S PASM suspension. In time I will get a DSC box and GT3 LCAs but it might be a bit before I can get back on the track because I broke my wrist in January. Nevertheless, I can't wait to drive the car up and down Angeles Crest this weekend!!

The car is corner balanced and aligned. At some point, I will probably add 5mm spacers all around. I am really happy with this project though.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:20 PM
EG997C2
Banned

Looks great and glad everything worked out with the coils. My car with the 997.2 GT3 RS Coilovers (which use a different rear design and slightly stiffer spring rates) along DSC controller is actually way more comfortable then stock PASM and Eibach springs I had before. Literally night and day difference.

Originally Posted by jamesinger
I bought 997 GT3 coilovers from EG997C2 a few months back.
I also got some OEM 997.1 GT3 wheels.
Next, I had Glenn Yee disassemble the GT3 coilovers, inspect them, and dyno them.
While the coilovers were at Glenn Yee Motorsports, I also got the Eibach Swaybar Kit (front + rear) as well as their new front and rear adjustable endlinks.
Once I had everything needed for the install, I went to Pro Motorsports in Burbank and had Tyson Schmidt install everything and dial it all in.
I doubt I will write a separate exhaustive review of all this since others have written on these swaps previously but right away the car does not lean as much as before in corners, which I found annoying that a factory sports car would have so much lean stock. I also noticed that the car porpoises way less. This word is new to me but intuitive. Mainly I noticed dive during hard braking and the rear would squat down excessively on acceleration. I will eventually get semi-solid motor mounts as well but the GT3 coilovers + the Eibach swaybars and adjustable endlinks seems to have eliminated this altogether after a couple commutes. In addition, the GT3 coilovers feel like GT3 coilovers if you have driven a GT3. That sounds stupid but I mean that the suspension feels like other GT3s that I have driven regularly rather than a C2S with mods, which I have driven more regularly than GT3s unfortunately. This is to say that the overall setup is stiffer than a C2S in normal but more compliant than a C2S in sport mode. The real shocker is how compliant the GT3 PASM is over the C2S PASM in sport mode. The GT3 PASM in sport mode feels WAAAAY more livable on normal roads. I will continue to play with the settings as I drive but the difference between normal and sport is less on the GT3 coilovers than on the C2S PASM suspension. In time I will get a DSC box and GT3 LCAs but it might be a bit before I can get back on the track because I broke my wrist in January. Nevertheless, I can't wait to drive the car up and down Angeles Crest this weekend!!

The car is corner balanced and aligned. At some point, I will probably add 5mm spacers all around. I am really happy with this project though.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:11 PM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckgm3
Humina!

Thanks
Go with RennDecals... very affordable and easy to remove if you change your mind or style later. Easiest method is to use tape to mark where it needs to go and then use tape separating halves to apply one side then the other.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:22 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 805 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by EG997C2
Looks great and glad everything worked out with the coils. My car with the 997.2 GT3 RS Coilovers (which use a different rear design and slightly stiffer spring rates) along DSC controller is actually way more comfortable then stock PASM and Eibach springs I had before. Literally night and day difference.
That will be my next mod for sure!! Thank you again!!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 997 today?