What did you do to your 997 today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 11:51 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

Originally Posted by ElectricChair
Well done! Much much better with paddles instead of buttons.
For sure and nicely done My993c2.

Even though my Cayenne Turbo is a Tip and not a PDK, my next project is to add paddles to my Steering Wheel using those from a Mercedes. The Tip buttons will remain and also be functional so either the paddle or the button or the shift lever will work. What I'm eliminating are the buttons on the back of the wheel that turn on the steering wheel illumination. Those lights will just come on with the vehicle lights.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:11 PM
youngvedder
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

installed H&R springs...stance is now on point...up next SSK and FAbspeed x-pipe
Old 09-29-2018, 04:31 PM
HeyJacu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installed GT3 front cooling ducts. Super cheap modification that many of my track day friends are really happy with. The new ducts are much more directional. Took more time to lift the car than to install.
Attached Images    
Old 09-29-2018, 08:33 PM
Darkhorse
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Got to be a better way to deal with brake dust

Originally Posted by rootwyrm
Two new air filters, cleaned out the engine-side screens in the air box, and did a bit of detailing on the airbox cover while it was out. Gave the spoiler the lubrication it has probably desperately needed for 2+ years, no more screeching! Attempt #2 at getting the brake dust off the centerlocks, now it's 95% instead of 85%. And my bottle of Meguiar's wheel stuff is at 25% instead of 75%. Eesh. There has got to be a better way. Washed it, and while I was at it I hit the exterior plastic with the last of my "PROTECTANT for product review." (Better known and available on store shelves as 303.) Gonna have to get somebody who is not me to detail it though, because I know better than to trust myself with an orbital.
I have been working on a better way to deal with brake dust since summer and will finish over the winter. I do not have spare wheels, so I ordered a pair of lift bars (very cool product recommended by a Rennlister) and plan to leave the car on stands for most of the winter. This will make it easier to do the work.

Here are my issues and corrective actions:

Too much black brake dust on the wheels and body sides. I did a comparison test, and solicited some opinions, between stock and Hawk Performance Ceramic brake pads. The Hawk ceramic pads throw less dust and the dust is a lighter, gray/tan color. They are a big improvement over stock, but there is more to be done. And, my 997 has required no repairs and only its usual minimal maintenance this year, so why not?

Rust drips from the factory vented brake discs and stains the wheel barrels after every wash. I ordered, through www.newparts.com, they advertise on eBay, a set of four Zimmerman Coat Z coated brake rotors so the vanes between the rotors will not rust and stain my wheels any more. BTW, I got the set of four discs for $477.95, shipped, no tax. Incredible price for four Zimmerman Coat Z rotors.

My Carrera Classic wheels have ten years of wear, some scratches, and two have a little curb rash. The wheels will be repaired and powder-coated over the winter. Two coats of powder; one of high-gloss Baltic Silver Metallic and one of high-gloss clear. The silver is a little bit darker than the silver wheel faces now, but a near-perfect match to the Porsche center caps. The barrels will be coated silver, too, so they will no longer be pale grey which shows all the dust. I believe this slightly darker silver color and the darker wheel barrels will help conceal the grey dust between washings, but if not, I have a plan.

I do not expect the powder-coat finish to clean any easier than the paint on the wheels now. So, when the wheels are finished, I am taking them inside and applying high-temp clear ceramic coating, probably two coats. The metallic finish should gleam and the wheels should simply rinse clean.

It's difficult to properly clean the red calipers. While the car is in the air and the rotors are off, I plan to remove the calipers, detail them, and apply one or two coats of the same high-temp ceramic coating. The clippers should rinse clean along with the wheels; maybe I'll need a little soap and my wheel woolies, but it will be easier than it is now. I am going to look into coating the new discs' hats with ceramic, too, to preserve their coated finish a bit longer.

That's my plan, everything has been purchased except the ceramic coating; I have not decided on the product yet (suggestions?). The weather's getting cooler here, so I will be getting started soon. Hopefully, next year, my wheels will stay clean and bright and brake dust headaches will be a bad memory.

Last edited by Darkhorse; 09-29-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:29 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Dealership drive today hosted by Porsche Plano. Good turnout despite the wet weather. Nice drive in the country. Got to see a new GT2RS in the flesh for the first time. Wow.
T
Attached Images   
Old 09-30-2018, 08:33 AM
karl1672
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Replaced the windshield cowl and wiper arms - originals were looking beat. Clean up and the area and vac'd out a ton of leaves and debris. Removed the battery to make it easier, but the whole battery reset is a pain.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:15 AM
b0rderman
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Lid strut, air filter, engine mounts and some waves.

Name:  DgIO2rvl.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  53.5 KB
Name:  J3243EVl.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  70.2 KB
Name:  YoHNAGzl.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  49.7 KB
Name:  Uao9dFil.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  87.4 KB
Old 09-30-2018, 08:42 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Installed new wheel.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:37 PM
saa106
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Installed a painted console. Bought it on Ebay, had it painted locally, installed myself. Total outlay 164.00.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:45 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by saa106
Installed a painted console. Bought it on Ebay, had it painted locally, installed myself. Total outlay 164.00.

Looks good. I plan to get rid of the worn soft touch paint for something more durable. Probably boring black. As the whole car is black.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:50 PM
saa106
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by doclouie

Looks good. I plan to get rid of the worn soft touch paint for something more durable. Probably boring black. As the whole car is black.
I'm sure happy with the end result. Painted black would look great. I paid 64.00 for a used tan console on eBay and had it pained Guards Red. Best mod I have done.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:50 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by saa106

Could you share where you got it painted? I'm also in Houston and have been wanting to paint my center console to match, like yours. Looks excellent!
Old 10-01-2018, 02:07 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
For sure and nicely done My993c2.

Even though my Cayenne Turbo is a Tip and not a PDK, my next project is to add paddles to my Steering Wheel using those from a Mercedes. The Tip buttons will remain and also be functional so either the paddle or the button or the shift lever will work. What I'm eliminating are the buttons on the back of the wheel that turn on the steering wheel illumination. Those lights will just come on with the vehicle lights.

Good move as long as you can maintain the original Benz mechanics of the paddles when you mount them on the Cayenne. I've tried the Mercedes paddles a number of times on rental cars and they did a much better job than Porsche with the paddles. The throw is much shorter and the feel is crisper. That's why I rarely use the paddles on my current PDK GTS and go for the gear lever instead. Better feel and with your right hand down there you're one step closer to a regular manual.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:08 AM
billh3508
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found My New Water Pump Leak
Old 10-01-2018, 12:42 PM
BLU997
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 103 Posts

Hey b0rdernan, does fitting new rear engine mounts make the "difference" everyone says they do?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 997 today?