Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

🤦🏼*♂️
Old 10-01-2018, 01:55 PM
Slow_997
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by kkswow12
if so , could you tell me what sizes, offsets, tires, etc, i like the look...

hey sorry just seeing this ... wheels are ccw c10
18x9 fronts 44 Offset (6.75” bs)
18x12 rears 63 offset (9” bs)

tirer are Nitto nt01 fronts 245x40x18 rears 305x35x18
Old 10-01-2018, 03:36 PM
b0rderman
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BLU997
Hey b0rdernan, does fitting new rear engine mounts make the "difference" everyone says they do?
I won't co-sign on all the mystical powers attributed to engine mounts. It did clean up a hell of a lot of exhaust sag...that fact cannot be questioned.

It's an easy enough job to do that it's worth a shot. I went with genuine replacement mounts, I have no need for any more cabin noise/vibration.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:25 PM
amplitude
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 15 Posts

Just got the car back from a fairly extensive bit of service:

-60k PDK clutch oil change
-120k gear oil change w/ new pan/filter
-Driver and pass side half shaft flange seals replaced
-Oil change w/ Motul
-New rear brake rotors and pads
-Air filters replaced
-Bank account weight reduction stage 1 modification

All said and done, money well spent
Old 10-01-2018, 09:40 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by BLU997
Hey b0rdernan, does fitting new rear engine mounts make the "difference" everyone says they do?
Nah. But the butt dyno says the new mounts are "better!" Fairly easy DIY, just need some deep sockets and a jack to hold up the engine (ideally, two jacks).
Old 10-02-2018, 05:31 PM
jayi836
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 137 Posts

Installed a much need DRL LED bulb the rest are HID
went from 33 lumens to 200 lumens error free.
The rag in front of the left tire is from the windshield washer pump replacement, part arrives tomorrow.

Old 10-03-2018, 04:00 AM
Climarepair.com
Former Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by jayi836
Installed a much need DRL LED bulb the rest are HID
went from 33 lumens to 200 lumens error free.
The rag in front of the left tire is from the windshield washer pump replacement, part arrives tomorrow.

Awesome! Where did you get them?
Old 10-03-2018, 10:47 AM
jayi836
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Climarepair.com
Awesome! Where did you get them?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J3BHDDS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J3BHDDS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-03-2018, 10:55 AM
Darkhorse
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Couple questions about my 997.2

Questions...

I am about to put my 2009 997.2 C4S on stands for a bunch of winter maintenance. It is ten-years old, built 12/08, with 33,000 miles. Since these photos, I have installed 7mm rear and 5mm front spacers. Sounds minimal, but pushes the tires out to where they should be. Now, I'd like to get rid of the 4x4 ride height without sacrificing comfort.

While it is in the air with no time pressure; I won't be driving it until about April....

1) My right exhaust tip looks lower. How can I tell if there is an issue with the engine mounts?

2) Is it complicated to install Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs on my car with PASM? I understand this is an open-ended question with variables. Let me clarify; I installed Eibach springs on my 986 Boxster about fifteen years ago without any problems, still have the spring compressors and plenty of tools.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Darkhorse; 10-03-2018 at 10:59 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 10-03-2018, 11:11 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by b0rderman
I won't co-sign on all the mystical powers attributed to engine mounts. It did clean up a hell of a lot of exhaust sag...that fact cannot be questioned.

It's an easy enough job to do that it's worth a shot. I went with genuine replacement mounts, I have no need for any more cabin noise/vibration.
Like you, I was really skeptical about all of the improvements to ride, shifting and NVH that people have claimed with new motor mounts. I have to say, after two weeks with my new (stock Porsche) motor mounts, the difference in all 3 categories is measurably better. At first, I attributed this to the placebo effect, but after several days, that usually wears off. I can say that in my case, the mounts definitely made a difference.

What I find even more surprising is that my old mounts weren't visibly worn out. The studs had sagged between 1/4" and 1/2" when compared to the new mounts. I had expected much more sag and I was disappointed to see that minimal wear--thinking I had bought new mounts for no reason. Apparently, that small amount of sag makes a serious difference.

And, as you mentioned, that small amount of sag in the mounts translated into about 3/4" of exhaust tip movement. After installing the mounts, I had to remove my tips because they bumped up against the bottom of the exhaust cut-out on the rear valence.

As for shifting and NVH improvements, I have no idea why such a small change affects those categories so much, but in my case, it really seems to have improved. I would love to cut a mount in half and see a cross-section of it to try and figure out how they fail internally. Maybe then I will understand.

I have been converted. I am now a believer.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:23 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkhorse
1) My right exhaust tip looks lower. How can I tell if there is an issue with the engine mounts?

2) Is it complicated to install Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs on my car with PASM? I understand this is an open-ended question with variables. Let me clarify; I installed Eibach springs on my 986 Boxster about fifteen years ago without any problems, still have the spring compressors and plenty of tools.
1) Place a jack with a wooden block under the engine oil pan and very slowly lift the engine. Keep an eye on the exhaust tips and the car itself. If your exhaust tips lift a great deal before the car starts to raise, you may want to consider replacing the mounts.

2) Replacing springs is not particularly complicated but requires basic mechanical knowledge and a decent set of tools, including a strut-type spring compressor, jack stands and at least one decent jack--which is sounds like you have. There are several good tutorials on this site (and on YouTube) that detail the process. Watch them before you decide but the process is no different than any other car so since you've done it once, I'd say you should have no problem doing it on your 997. Having PASM only adds one additional step, which is unplugging the PASM wire at each shock (and being careful not to damage it).

I like your car, BTW. My '09 cabriolet is Meteor Gray and we have the same wheels and interior color. With the exception of your car being a wide-body, they could be twins.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:02 PM
AltVelo
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkhorse
As noted the PASM makes it a bit tricky since it comes out of the center of the strut shaft. Here's link that notes what Bruce did.

https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi...n-9972-w-pasm/
Old 10-06-2018, 10:50 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Cleaned out the radiators. Could not believe how much garbage was in there. Taking the front bumper off was a lot easier than I imagined it would be.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:36 PM
seigniorage
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installled sharkwerks bypass on Tuesday & RSS engine mounts today on my 2012 GTS...only driven 5ish miles with both, man I wish I’d done those sooner.

Was worried on cabin noise with the RSS given forum complaints, but I didn’t notice it...and the shifts were smooth with the 6MT

Sharkwerks + PSE is just about ideal for me

Left to do:
-still have the FF1 orange transmission inserts, going to try both semi solid engine mounts and these, if too much might just put them in for DEs
-ordered the 3rd radiation from suncoast, hasn’t arrived yet...mainly because I wanted 3 screens across the front, also won’t hurt in the Florida heat
-salivate over a numeric shifter

This is my daily, but my commute is like 5 miles on smooth roads...and man do I enjoy it a lot more now

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 997 today?