Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2023, 06:34 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 541 Likes on 321 Posts

great job as always !!! you wouldnt have any photos of the inside of the unit would you?

Originally Posted by Steve W
BTW, after using the PCCM+ unit for a while, I did not like the ergonomics of how Carplay required the use of the front USB plug. The cable sticking out interfered with the operation of the Back button above it, and wtth the cable sticking out of the face of the unit so close to the buttons, I think there's potential for the port to get damaged from accidentally pressing against it too much. So I relocated the front USB Carplay port to the rear of the unit, and swapped the rear USB port to the front port of the unit. Now I can relocate the lightning cable to come out from the back and have the second USB port available at the front of the unit, as you can see in the picture below. Note the lit USB stick active at the front port, while my iPhone connects to the white lighting cable for Carplay coming from the back.

Old 03-22-2023, 01:15 AM
Jedi767
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

That won't work. In your case you'd want to delay the reverse trigger activation, to say 1/2 second after the cam receives power. It sounds like your cam may be slow to boot up, and so honestly, they're so cheap at $20, try a different cam, or maybe just go ahead and connect it to a 12v power source at the rear when the car is on, and if it goes out, like myw speculates could happen, just replace it. I think it may be fine to power continuously, if they are made with any quality. This way you won't get any 'no cam' message in or out of reverse gear.

BTW, after using the PCCM+ unit for a while, I did not like the ergonomics of how Carplay required the use of the front USB plug. The cable sticking out interfered with the operation of the Back button above it, and wtth the cable sticking out of the face of the unit so close to the buttons, I think there's potential for the port to get damaged from accidentally pressing against it too much. So I relocated the front USB Carplay port to the rear of the unit, and swapped the rear USB port to the front port of the unit. Now I can relocate the lightning cable to come out from the back and have the second USB port available at the front of the unit, as you can see in the picture below. Note the lit USB stick active at the front port, while my iPhone connects to the white lighting cable for Carplay coming from the back.
I just read through 100 pages of people trying to do this. And this guy walks in at the end 'ya I just did it no big deal'. Please tell us how! This would be a godsend for these units with this fatal front-USB design flaw.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jedi767:
maxw (03-22-2023), medicus (03-22-2023)
Old 03-22-2023, 04:24 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts

So I relocated the front USB Carplay port to the rear of the unit, and swapped the rear USB port to the front port of the unit. Now I can relocate the lightning cable to come out from the back and have the second USB port available at the front of the unit, as you can see in the picture below.
HOW? did you do that?
The following users liked this post:
medicus (03-22-2023)
Old 03-22-2023, 08:30 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I haven't been driving the 997 much lately but got back in the other day way early in the morning and the night time glare of a too bright screen still bothers the heck out of me. I have adjusted the menu to the lowest settings and it's still too bright for me. Are there any settings in the advanced(hidden) menu to turn the lighting down? My wife says I sit in the dark doing a lot of things so it's probably me and not most..... Thanks for any ideas.
Old 03-22-2023, 10:59 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Steven C.
I haven't been driving the 997 much lately but got back in the other day way early in the morning and the night time glare of a too bright screen still bothers the heck out of me. I have adjusted the menu to the lowest settings and it's still too bright for me. Are there any settings in the advanced(hidden) menu to turn the lighting down? My wife says I sit in the dark doing a lot of things so it's probably me and not most..... Thanks for any ideas.
does it not automatically dim according to the headlamps?
Old 03-22-2023, 11:29 AM
nikandriko
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

I think it may be fine to power continuously, if they are made with any quality. This way you won't get any 'no cam' message in or out of reverse gear.
I am concluding on the same approach, providing constant 12V accessory power to the camera. That’s also what my car mechanic had originally suggested. I think also lots of modern cars today have the cameras constantly powered. (Btw it’s a $120 backup camera, so hopefully it has some level of quality in it).

Now, in terms of accessory power I am thinking either (a) the engine bay and the unused “fog lights” connector or (b) re-routing the cable I had on pin8 to a 12V source behind or on the PCCM+.
Old 03-22-2023, 12:48 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
does it not automatically dim according to the headlamps?
It does, and in daylight it seems like it would be dark enough....but it isn't. And I have it on the lowest setting?
Old 03-22-2023, 07:44 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by nikandriko
I am concluding on the same approach, providing constant 12V accessory power to the camera. That’s also what my car mechanic had originally suggested. I think also lots of modern cars today have the cameras constantly powered. (Btw it’s a $120 backup camera, so hopefully it has some level of quality in it).

Now, in terms of accessory power I am thinking either (a) the engine bay and the unused “fog lights” connector or (b) re-routing the cable I had on pin8 to a 12V source behind or on the PCCM+.
what camera do you have? MANY usa branded cams are private label channel products.

you can also tap directly into the fuse box - there are a few fuses that will provide constant power. i *think* c5 / c6 if my memory from years ago serves me correctly (could be totally wrong).
Old 03-23-2023, 10:36 AM
jgoga
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

That won't work. In your case you'd want to delay the reverse trigger activation, to say 1/2 second after the cam receives power. It sounds like your cam may be slow to boot up, and so honestly, they're so cheap at $20, try a different cam, or maybe just go ahead and connect it to a 12v power source at the rear when the car is on, and if it goes out, like myw speculates could happen, just replace it. I think it may be fine to power continuously, if they are made with any quality. This way you won't get any 'no cam' message in or out of reverse gear.

How did you relocate the USB to the back? I believe there are several of us interested in this.

Thank you in advance!!!

John
brudomen (03-23-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 01:40 PM
vudores
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 41 Posts

I haven’t seen any recent info re stock, does anyone know of a parts department that has it and will match the suncoast price?
Old 03-23-2023, 01:43 PM
Jedi767
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by vudores
I haven’t seen any recent info re stock, does anyone know of a parts department that has it and will match the suncoast price?
I just ordered yesterday from McKenna Porsche (in Los Angeles area) and they beat SunCoast' price.
*Edit - that was for the 955 PCCM. They had a handful. Sorry - I forget I'm visiting the 997 section in hopes @Steve W will enlighten us on moving the USB to the back.
Old 03-23-2023, 01:50 PM
vudores
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jedi767
I just ordered yesterday from McKenna Porsche (in Los Angeles area) and they beat SunCoast' price.
*Edit - that was for the 955 PCCM. They had a handful. Sorry - I forget I'm visiting the 997 section in hopes @Steve W will enlighten us on moving the USB to the back.
man I got psyched! I’m on hold with them now just to confirm, he didn’t think they had it in stock.
Old 03-23-2023, 03:06 PM
vudores
Rennlist Member

For those looking, Porsche South Bay has it in stock, but won’t match suncoast price and are selling it for around $200 more.
Old 03-23-2023, 07:25 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,978 Likes on 2,054 Posts

Originally Posted by svandamme
HOW? did you do that?
Originally Posted by jgoga
How did you relocate the USB to the back? I believe there are several of us interested in this.

Thank you in advance!!!

John
Yes, also interested in relocating the USB to the back of the unit. That is the only modification I personally want to make to mine. If it's an easy (<1 hour) job with minimal risk to the unit itself, I'd probably consider doing it.

I think someone could probably make some money doing it, for those of us that don't have the confidence to DIY it.
brudomen (03-23-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 07:45 PM
brudomen
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Ditto
Originally Posted by jgoga

Thank you in advance!!!

John

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request