Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2023 | 05:48 PM
medicus
Advanced

Originally Posted by myw
there is the new aftermarket android pcm 12. that looks oem with dials + buttons.... with full android functionality that looks oem.
Do you have a link?
Old 02-07-2023 | 06:56 PM
Steve W
Racer

Talking

So, on Plug Connection B, when you ohm out pins 2, 4, 9, 16, 18, and 21, they all connected in continuity for ground as per the pin out connection chart. Pin 1 goes to the microphone MIC+ element, and if you look at the harness, pin 3 has a wire loop under the shrink tubing that connects to pin 4, which is the ground signal that tells the unit a MIC is detected. Pin 8 labeled on the chart as Camera 12v (max 200MA) is likely labeled as the power source for a reverse camera. So most likely pin 6 is the reverse camera 12v trigger signal input. On aftermarket Android units, this trigger wire is usually pink. Plug for pins 5-10 appear dedicated to the reverse camera input. So below is the plug modified to add the pink trigger input wire. Also notice the Fakra video input cable is replaced with an type RCA input. These were harvested from the 10pin Android plug harness referenced earlier, which now can be used to plug into the pin 23-32 section, and provide a 5v output lead off pin 30 for a second USB input power supply (green wire below). Of course I could be wrong about all this so who will be the first to fry - I mean try?

The following 3 users liked this post by Steve W:
maxw (02-08-2023), myw (02-07-2023), svandamme (02-08-2023)
Old 02-07-2023 | 07:39 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by medicus
Do you have a link?
some photos here + years of info here - https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post18585204

comes in both black + grey - with both the standard + quadlock adapters for both .1 + .2 cars

i have answered most if not all of the questions on the facebook '997 modification + retrofit' forums - with exactly which accessories / cams to buy etc + also uploaded 40 mins of videos of the prototypes + finalized versions of the unit in action with front/reverse/ smart dash cams / tpms, usb routing etc etc all in action working properly. make sure to join that fb forum - thank you!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...ct.mainProduct

Last edited by myw; 02-07-2023 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-07-2023 | 08:08 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by svandamme
Give me one example of an Android Radio that runs the latest Android, and allows you to download apps from the google store, like a pad does???
all native android radios running their native OS does this - they allow any/all apps downloadable on a phone/tablet to be downloaded on an android radio. netflix, chrome, fb, Ig, vlc viewer, youtube, weather app ... anything + everything.

of course the main apps used when driving are still waze, google maps, spotify, audible... etc

many future aftermarket branded radios (pioneer, kenwood etc etc) will likely be based on the android platform as porsche has done.... i'm sure the 987.2/997.2 pccm+ will also be a restricted android device as well (itll be the 3rd generation of porsche doing this) - it makes little financial sense to come up with a true oem (becker) solution.

An older, more stable android OS, running a custom skin (with all the car specific canbus programming built in) - while disabling most (if not almost all) the usb + front camera + internet connectivity seems to be the formula.

With that said, the multi channel fibre optic adapter is a custom, brand new adapter specific to porsche, which is awesome.

Last edited by myw; 02-07-2023 at 08:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
svandamme (02-08-2023)
Old 02-07-2023 | 08:11 PM
maxw
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steve W
In general all aftermarket Android head have a 12v trigger in to activate the reverse camera screen. Most likely the PCCM+ is no different. Aftermarket Android units give you options to tap the 12v trigger signal from one of a few different locations, such as the reverse light wire which most people connect to. The other option is through their provided CANBUS box, but that method can be a hit or miss depending on if the vendor supplied the proper CANBUS module to match the vehicle. Or through an OBD plug which taps the signal off there.

Connecting a reversing camera to an Android Headunit

Based on the 955 PCCM PLUS install document, it appears the 12v trigger input for the reverse camera screen is pin 6 of the Plug Connection B port:

If that is the case, pin 6 is vacant on the provided harness, and a new wire lead will need to be inserted into the vacant pin. You can source this from any aftermarket Android head unit harness as they all use the same type of connector such as listed below. Or if you are not using XM/satellite radio, you can unpin the yellow wire from pin 8 of the connector plug and use it on pin 6.

Universal 10 Pin Car RCA Rear View Camera Video Input Cable Adapter Wiring Connector Android Radio Accessories

If you use the type of harness as listed above, you can unpin the RCA video out cable from the harness, and it to replace the Farka type connection port, eliminating the need to source an RCA to Fakra adapter, reducing the number of connections.

Steve you've successfully scared some sense into me with your knowledge and who will be first to fry comment! Thank you...

How do you know the ordering of the pin assignments? I can see it's plug connect B from the document, but how you have them numbered/mapped - is this a standard firing order of sorts for electronics?

According to the document pin 8 is "camera 12v" which is where the yellow wire in the harness that I was GUESSING could be the appropriate camera trigger wire by the proximity of it to the camera in. Assume you're saying that won't work and more likely pin 6 is the appropriate trigger (and pin 6 has no wire going to it on the included connector)?
svandamme (02-08-2023)
Old 02-07-2023 | 08:21 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by svandamme
here's a thougth.. could the reverse camera run double duty as a rear pointing dash cam?
eg , power it all the time
display on pccm when hitting reverse gear
but record on some dash cam setup??
i dont believe so - even in native android mode i dont believe there is an app that records either of the front or reverse analog parking camera feeds - all the smart dash cameras (for android) have their own built in recording infrastructure inside the device itself (microSD).
svandamme (02-08-2023)
Old 02-07-2023 | 08:40 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by maxw
Wish there was official word from Porsche on the rear camera situation.

I'm not an electronics expert, but something we need to be mindful of is that by adding a camera we're potentially adding a load to the electrical system that it's not designed to handle. Assuming we need to power the camera off the reverse light - that circuit was designed to send a specific amount of power. By adding a camera to the circuit, we're increasing the load which MAY cause long term problems.

Assuming we do ultimately connect the camera to the reverse circuit - it may not be a bad idea to convert the reverse lights to LED if that's possible so there is less current/amp draw on them to try to balance out the new/additional load of the camera.

This general concern MAY be one of the reasons there may be no official support or documentation. That said I'm sure there is likely a way to wire it safely with the use of relays, LED converted reverse lights or the like (again, I'm not an electronics expert here). Would be nice to know if anything official has been given to the Porsche dealer/support network on this subject.
The cameras power should be connected directly to the PCCM+ itself (not the reverse trigger). the reverse trigger also is plugged into the pccm+ - which will turn only turn the power to activate the camera when the pccm is in 'reverse mode' (toggled by reverse trigger). I will explain in more depth via answering the next question below.

A few things I'm wondering - if anyone can shed light would appreciate it - seems at this point we may not have certain answers on these two items:

1. Does the PCCM+ support CVBS 480p only, or also AHD 720p high definition cameras? The cameras I ordered are AHD 720p but you can clip a wire to "downgrade" them to 480p if that is what is supported. The only camera I've seen reported here working is a Rydeen CM-LIP4 which is a 480p camera.

2. What is the trigger wire for a manual/stick? There is a wire on the PCCM+ that goes from the same camera/video out over to what I believe is the canbus connector, so maybe this base is covered and no trigger wire is needed? Maybe this is only supported for a Tiptronic though? If not supported this way on a manual and a trigger wire is needed - I imagine should connect the camera + to a switched or always on circuit and the trigger wire on the camera to a reverse light wire at the rear of the car?
1. android 9+ supports AHD 720p cameras. the oem porsche pccm+ running on android 6 likely will NOT support the AHD signal. keep in mind the pccm+ screen is also 480p. Having swapped out the 480p to an AHD camera, it does make a big difference (on various android radios for 997). Make sure to test the camera first in AHD mode - the PCM should give you an error signal (or just stay black/blank)

2. the 12v black + blue reverse trigger from the kickpanel or reverse taillights will need to be spliced into the reverse trigger of the pccm+. when the the pccm+ receives the 12v reverse signal, it will turn on the power out pin/wire (to be spliced into the camera). This prevents the camera to being on all the time. This is standard protocol for all android radios. Both camera power+ground as well as the reverse trigger should be directly connected to the pccm+ / android radios via useage of a standard DC extension cable. i have previously grounded the reverse camera into the taillight-harness ground - but it just doesn't look as clear (likely my splice isnt done well).

Originally Posted by Carrera01
Thanks that looks interesting, where would you run the cable? is there a hole currently behind the license plate?
to run the backup licence plate cameras, no drilling will be needed - but the camera cable can be fished to the license plate light bracket easily without removing the bumper. the entire license plate light casing will then be replaced with an aftermarket one (swapping the oem bulb + electronics), that the reverse cam fits in. Having run + installed both the licence plate backup camera as well as the discrete drill in reverse camera on multiple 997s - i wouldnt bother with the licence plate light-bracket type of camera.

Okay, I understand. Then you think it's not a disadvantage that the PCCM only runs on Android 6.0? And Bluetooth in version 1.0? These are really old versions in a 2k bucks device from Porsche.
But let's be honest, if it's all the way you describe, then I'm out of it. If I can't play around with this new Android PCCM as I want, I can also stick to my old PCM 2.1.
Works great for me!
I believe older android OS is used for stability when running a skinAPP on top. As for bluetooth 1.0 and the 7" 480p screen, that is to save porsche money. I believe that this internal hardware is mostly a carry over from 996 pccm+

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
You're more than welcome!

I wonder if there is a setting on the PCCM+ to control the brightness of the controls. Now my OCD is going to go into a tailspin! LOL
There may be in some sort of hidden menu. On the rest of android 8+ radios - the option is there to control illumination color and brightness (based on car lights)

Last edited by myw; 02-07-2023 at 09:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by myw:
maxw (02-08-2023), svandamme (02-08-2023)
Old 02-07-2023 | 08:47 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Steve you've successfully scared some sense into me with your knowledge and who will be first to fry comment! Thank you...

How do you know the ordering of the pin assignments? I can see it's plug connect B from the document, but how you have them numbered/mapped - is this a standard firing order of sorts for electronics?

According to the document pin 8 is "camera 12v" which is where the yellow wire in the harness that I was GUESSING could be the appropriate camera trigger wire by the proximity of it to the camera in. Assume you're saying that won't work and more likely pin 6 is the appropriate trigger (and pin 6 has no wire going to it on the included connector)?
I believe

Pin 6 - pccm+ reverse trigger (the signal here will flip the unit to reverse camera input mode)
Pin 8 - outputs POWER to the reverse camera (only outputs power) when pin 6 is receiving a signal

voltmeter can test these relatively quickly + easily
Old 02-07-2023 | 08:57 PM
Steve W
Racer

maxw, haha! Being that the mic cable plugs into port 1-4, just as per the connection chart, and the Fakra video cable pins into the 5-10 port with the center signal pin of the video cable verified to ohm to pin 10 just as the chart, and the pin out chart shows N/C for all pins 23-32, of which the PCCM kit provides no harness for, and that all the grounds ohm out together just as the chart, there is no other possible configuration for the pin numbers.

I suspect pin 7 labeled as parking is for a 12v input to trigger to the unit when the car is parked, so that if one wanted to input video from something like a DVD or TV tuner instead of a reverse camera, it would only allow such video to play when the car is parked.

Below is the camera I sourced that goes in place of the reverse light socket, and is as low profile as possible for such a location. I think it's profile not much different than if you drilled the bumper to mount a dedicated mount camera - I don't want a rear camera that bad to drill a hole in a $3000 bumper cover. The camera has a 170 degree fisheye glass lens, with Starlight night visibility, with optional guidelines, and can be set to output as either AHD or CVBS video output. AHD is short for analog high definition, which would be a 1080/720p video output, and CVBS (composite video SD video), is lower resolution 480p. Being that the screen is 480p, it is possible that the unit does not accept an AHD video signal, and only will take a CVBS signal and downconvert it to 480p. Newer Android units usually have an option in the menu to select either an AHD or CVBS video signal, something I think this unit does not show as an option setting. However hopefully the better optics of the lens and image sensors provide a clearer 480p CVBS picture than a standard SD cam.

AHD 1080P 1000TVL Vehicle Plate Reverse Backup Camera For VW Volkswagen Santana Polo(3C) Tiguan Touareg Passat B4 B5 Skoda Fabia

Last edited by Steve W; 02-07-2023 at 09:11 PM.
maxw (02-08-2023), myw (02-07-2023), svandamme (02-08-2023)
Old 02-07-2023 | 09:23 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

@Steve W

i looked at my generic 6-pin android harness to help out. these readouts have not changed imo from 2019-2023 units as I have swapped a few android radios over the years and have not swapped the harnesses. I'm going to *ASSUME* this harness will fit into 996/997/cayenne pccm+ with no pin assignments changed.

based on the harness photos ....

pin6 - PINK REVERSE trigger (as u stated ) plug the 997 black + blueLine reverse trigger from the kick panel / taillight here. you can quickly send a 12v into this pin which should immediately trigger the pccm+ into reverse mode.
pin8 - BLACK GND - connect the cameras GND here.
pin5 - RED POWER (switched ON only if reverseTrigger/pin6 receives a 12v signal) - connect the cameras POWER to here. if pin6 has 12v input - can easily test with voltmeter.

pins 7, 9, 10 are related to the inputs of BOTH front + rear RCA inputs, which you have already figured out.

Last edited by myw; 02-07-2023 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-07-2023 | 09:37 PM
Steve W
Racer

I think the harness connection assignments of Android units are inconsistent from one unit to another. I would be reluctant to power the camera as the above unless sure. Connecting pin 8 to ground when the chart says 12v out/200ma camera output can blow out the unit. Safer to just power the camera off the reverse light wire from the taillight harness, and also draw the 12v trigger from the same to send to the unit.
maxw (02-08-2023), myw (02-15-2023), svandamme (02-08-2023)
Old 02-07-2023 | 09:48 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Steve W
Connecting pin 8 to ground when the chart says 12v out/200ma camera output can blow out the unit.
I re-looked @ your chart and noticed the inconsistency as well.

With that said, a voltmeter can still test pin8 + pin5 while pin6 is fed/not fed the 12v+ reverse trigger input signal as a next step.

ps. that plate bulb bracket all-in-one camera looks to be a new product. looks great and i would have certainly considered that a few years ago if it was out.

Last edited by myw; 02-07-2023 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-07-2023 | 09:56 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

id buy it... the wiring is simple to reverse-figure out!

if any nonBose owners who have purchased the pccm+ and wants to sell the fibre optic adapter - pls PM me.

Originally Posted by PowerFlower
If that's the case, then there is actually one thing you need to do with it... sell it to someone who is installing a non-Porsche aftermarket unit in a Bose car

The separate unit (given the part number) is listed for around $175, which is a steal for anyone who needs analog outputs to feed into the Bose MOST optical system. Cheaper than most alternatives and supports four channels (with fading).

You'd have to figure out the wiring, of course, but I'd expect that to be simple -- a pair each for power, front, and rear.

Last edited by myw; 02-07-2023 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-08-2023 | 04:09 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Do you have a link?
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/10050...d=8FRbBGj0LNVl

Good luck getting android support from China tho
Old 02-08-2023 | 04:41 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by myw
if any nonBose owners who have purchased the pccm+ and wants to sell the fibre optic adapter - pls PM me.
Non Bose and None ASK
mine is non Bose, but i needed the Most as well.

suspect that will be CDR24 people only, as PCM2.1 would automatically have required you to get either ASK or Bose as well. (assuming, but thats how they typically combine upgrades in groups) and you needed the MOST for the sat nav DVD player in the frunk either way

Last edited by svandamme; 02-08-2023 at 04:42 AM.
myw (02-15-2023)

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request