Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2023, 05:19 PM
medicus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=svandamme;18609564]
Originally Posted by medicus

" why would a lack of Android version updates on a device that is not even connected to the internet, be a problem to anyone using PCCM+ ?
Of course, it's good if it's running.
But there are many things in the software that can still be improved. And there will certainly be a firmware update here at some point. That's what I meant.
Old 02-03-2023, 09:14 PM
signde
Racer

Received 268 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by svandamme
there are cameras that simply fit in the license plate light.. no drilling required.
Porsche uses VW style License plate lights and those are on aliexpress

https://nl.aliexpress.com/w/wholesal...home.1000002.0

personally i'de rather use one of those than drill a hole imma rear bumper
i have experience with this in my R32 as i added a RVC to it recently. off the bat the problem with most of these is they angle down. the R32 license plate is in the same position as the 997, which is low on the rear bumper. you are putting in a camera a couple feet off the ground that is also angled down. granted, these cameras have a wide field of view, so you can still see behind you decently well but i didn't appreciate that a big chunk of my view was staring at pavement.

i ended up buying
this model this model
, which again has the same angle issue, but it is not one solid, molded piece like most of the aliexpress ones. i used a fine saw to cut it, rotate the camera position, then epoxy it back together. i left a review on the listing, will not be hard to figure out which one as mine as there are pictures of the deep blue pearl R. the review i left is before i modified it.

view before rotating, and what you can expect without modifying:

view after my mod

The following 2 users liked this post by signde:
brudomen (02-03-2023), Nova997 (02-04-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 02:22 AM
medicus
Advanced

Originally Posted by signde
i have experience with this in my R32 as i added a RVC to it recently. off the bat the problem with most of these is they angle down. the R32 license plate is in the same position as the 997, which is low on the rear bumper. you are putting in a camera a couple feet off the ground that is also angled down. granted, these cameras have a wide field of view, so you can still see behind you decently well but i didn't appreciate that a big chunk of my view was staring at pavement.

i ended up buying this model, which again has the same angle issue, but it is not one solid, molded piece like most of the aliexpress ones. i used a fine saw to cut it, rotate the camera position, then epoxy it back together. i left a review on the listing, will not be hard to figure out which one as mine as there are pictures of the deep blue pearl R. the review i left is before i modified it.

view before rotating, and what you can expect without modifying:

view after my mod

So for me, the view without modifying seems to be just right. So I can see the things that are immediately behind my bumper. For example, small children and obstacles when parking.
The following users liked this post:
TerrestrialFlyte (02-04-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 04:10 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 81 Posts

Of course, it's good if it's running.
But there are many things in the software that can still be improved. And there will certainly be a firmware update here at some point. That's what I meant.

Those things are not part of the Android OS, but on the widget designed by Porsche/the radio company
One can still get fixes on your accounting software that runs on Windows 7 , despite that windows 7 is EOL since 2020

the PCCM bits you deal with, the GPS, the MP3 player, backup camera, trip computer , those are not part of the Android bit

Last edited by svandamme; 02-04-2023 at 04:12 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by svandamme:
medicus (02-04-2023), myw (02-07-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 04:40 AM
medicus
Advanced

Those things are not part of the Android OS, but on the widget designed by Porsche/the radio company
One can still get fixes on your accounting software that runs on Windows 7 , despite that windows 7 is EOL since 2020

the PCCM bits you deal with, the GPS, the MP3 player, backup camera, trip computer , those are not part of the Android bit
Okay, I understand. Then you think it's not a disadvantage that the PCCM only runs on Android 6.0? And Bluetooth in version 1.0? These are really old versions in a 2k bucks device from Porsche.

But let's be honest, if it's all the way you describe, then I'm out of it. If I can't play around with this new Android PCCM as I want, I can also stick to my old PCM 2.1.
Works great for me!

Last edited by medicus; 02-04-2023 at 07:36 AM.
Old 02-04-2023, 08:13 AM
whacko77uk
Advanced

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

The comments on the operating software confuse me, this is a sports car we are taking about not a smart phone or gaming pc.

Surely all you need is a device to play back music at a good quality stream, up to date navigation and a reversing camera for those days you use your car in town!

After all this was a 100k car new, I expect parts and upgrades to match that level.
Old 02-04-2023, 08:33 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Okay, I understand. Then you think it's not a disadvantage that the PCCM only runs on Android 6.0? And Bluetooth in version 1.0? These are really old versions in a 2k bucks device from Porsche.

But let's be honest, if it's all the way you describe, then I'm out of it. If I can't play around with this new Android PCCM as I want, I can also stick to my old PCM 2.1.
Works great for me!
Thats your call, I don't see the problem with it.
the functionality is there , its a big improvement over PCM2.1.. Clearly the lack of OS updates on PCM2.1 doesn't bother you, so why would it bother you on PCCM+?

Originally Posted by whacko77uk
The comments on the operating software confuse me, this is a sports car we are taking about not a smart phone or gaming pc.
Surely all you need is a device to play back music at a good quality stream, up to date navigation and a reversing camera for those days you use your car in town!
Why?? Nobody should be bothered by the Android version
its not a smartphone.

Its a car radio, and the functionality as advertised.. works. if not (like the satnav map in USA) , Porsche has to warranty fix it.. that's all that matters and has nothing to do with the android version.. its a non issue
whacko77uk (02-04-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 08:45 AM
medicus
Advanced

After all this was a 100k car new, I expect parts and upgrades to match that level.
There is nothing confusing at all. The price of Porsche accessories is no problem at all. I would also pay $5000 for the PCCM. That's not the question. It is about Porsche, like any other manufacturer, installing the latest software and hardware when launching a new device. I demand that, nothing more, but nothing less.

And besides, modern Android Headunits, are ultimately only tablets in a car. Why shouldn't I have the same demands as on my Pad that I am using at home?

Last edited by medicus; 02-04-2023 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-04-2023, 09:09 AM
whacko77uk
Advanced

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

By that reasoning why not buy the 992 generation, it the latest and greatest car and tech.

In my opinion Porsche have done it right, giving OEM look and functionality to a modern classic. They are at the end of the day a sports car manufacturer.

Tablets = Samsung, new one every year…disposable!

Apologies I did not mean to digress from what this thread is about.
The following 2 users liked this post by whacko77uk:
medicus (02-04-2023), svandamme (02-04-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 09:11 AM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 349 Posts

So for me, the view without modifying seems to be just right. So I can see the things that are immediately behind my bumper. For example, small children and obstacles when parking.
Agreed. I’d much rather have half the screen taken up by what is in the immediate vicinity of my path than half of it taken up by the sky, which for a back up cam is useless (unless mounted on a helicopter, I guess).
medicus (02-04-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 09:37 AM
medicus
Advanced

By that reasoning why not buy the 992 generation, it the latest and greatest car and tech.
That's exactly what it is. You formulated that well. I want to have the radio technology from the 992 in my 997 without having to buy a new car. And that makes Porsche as a manufacturer of the 992 technically very good. So why shouldn't this also be transferable to the 997?
Best regards
Old 02-04-2023, 10:12 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

There is nothing confusing at all. The price of Porsche accessories is no problem at all. I would also pay $5000 for the PCCM. That's not the question. It is about Porsche, like any other manufacturer, installing the latest software and hardware when launching a new device. I demand that, nothing more, but nothing less.

And besides, modern Android Headunits, are ultimately only tablets in a car. Why shouldn't I have the same demands as on my Pad that I am using at home?
But what are you missing out by not having this Android version you claim??
Its not a pad..

Give me one example of an Android Radio that runs the latest Android, and allows you to download apps from the google store, like a pad does???
fritzcurtis (02-04-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 11:21 AM
medicus
Advanced

But what are you missing out by not having this Android version you claim??
Its not a pad..

Give me one example of an Android Radio that runs the latest Android, and allows you to download apps from the google store, like a pad does???
If you are connected to your home Wi-Fi or if you are connected to your mobile phone via tethering, you can get apps for your Android car radio from the Play Store.And I'm pretty sure every Android radio can do that.

But that's not what I'm about, downloading apps. It would just be a nice gimmick. As I said above, I would like the technology of PCM 6.0 from the 992 in the PCCM for my 997.
Old 02-04-2023, 12:37 PM
fritzcurtis
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Medicus please move on, clearly the PCCM+ is not for you. We want to keep the thread positive with people that are contributing in a constructive manner. No disrespect at all. Svandamme has spent a lot of time here helping many people out with their new PCCM+! You might check out alliexpress as there are a ton of alternatives that are clones that could potentially give you what you are looking for.

Last edited by fritzcurtis; 02-04-2023 at 12:41 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by fritzcurtis:
brudomen (02-04-2023), ekam (02-04-2023), medicus (02-05-2023), svandamme (02-04-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 12:55 PM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Well android version is not going to fix it if you want to do things on wifi, cause the wifi on the pccm+ is hardcode disabled.. and there is no simcard for wireless access.
indeed, clearly PCCM+ is not for you then, wishing a 15 year old car would do what a modern car has, I Don't think that is what Porsche Classic is about...
I guess for you , PCCM+ 1 din uinit for the older cars is also a complete waste , because despite the features, it won't make a 3.2 Carrera as modern as a 992.. right?

on another note, I removed the 2 top locking tabs off my pccm+ because those remain a royal pain in the neck for removal of pccm+
and for what its worth, they aren't needed.. the PCCM sits very snug with the bottom locking tabs and the center console side cheeks make it sit snug..

perhaps later after experimentation fase will i reinstall em, but for now i want easy of access to the rear

Last edited by svandamme; 02-04-2023 at 12:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request