Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2023, 02:40 PM
Mfleahy
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Crazyoldgoat
I had a local shop install my PCCM plus. So far it has been a disaster. He did not install the jumper, so I have no radio reception. He is going to fix that Tuesday. The only manual I got was that four or five page booklet which tell me what each button does. When I try to enter an address it will only allow me to enter one or two characters, and then freezes. I found a work around which requires that I hit several buttons before I can enter each character, but I don't know how to get the unit to save the address.

Is there a manual or video available that explains how to make this thing function? Did I pick the wrong shop? This can not be the way this unit is designed to function. VERY FRUSTRATING!

Thanks
There is a Navigation Manual which comes with the map software (PCG64250400) which basically shows you how to operate the Nav part of the unit. It's not the nicest user interface, but I've noticed that when you start to enter addresses, it starts to search its database. If it can't find a match to what you typed so far, it ignores further typing. For example, if I try to enter "Pittsburgh" in a city field, it eventually refuses because my system has the now-well-known problem with trying to access any state after New York. If I try to enter a unique address in Pittsburgh (for a street that exists only in Pittsburgh), it finds nothing and ignores further typing.

As far as installation, we only have our very well-done posting (PCCM+ DIY Guide) by Svandamme et al. Maybe your local shop should have a look so they can get it right. I assume that Porsche has their instructions, which they can access during the 4-8 hours of shop time they will charge you for their install.
Old 09-24-2023, 02:52 PM
Mfleahy
Intermediate

Clnilsen,

I tried to take it further. I had discussions with two dealers and the national Porsche Customer Service department about updates and fixes. Since the PCCM+ was released with no installation instructions and a strong, but not mandatory, suggestion that Porsche do the installation, I simply asked how Porsche would know who had the PCCM+'s. While unlikely, suppose there was a recall for some safety issue? Suppose the PCCM+ software caused some unanticipated problem? How would Porsche know whom to contact?

They all said, "What a good set of questions!"

But no answers so far.
Old 09-24-2023, 05:11 PM
jgoga
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

PM'd.

John
Old 09-24-2023, 05:12 PM
jgoga
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JJT
​​​​​​Do you have a set of cables left? You can tell me privately if you want.
PM'd.

John
Old 09-24-2023, 08:40 PM
1Crazyoldgoat
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I had my unit installed by a local shop with the hope of avoiding all these problems. I know he missed the fiber optic jumper cable and will fix that Tuesday.

I found the operating manual and the navigation manual on the Porsche website and printed both. They are of little use. Some functions work and others do NOT! I live in California but the address of the shop where it was installed is not listed in their system. It will NOT allow me to enter that address! I wonder if the software install didn't get completed properly. I am not pleased that Porsche is beta testing their Chinese radio by letting customers incur various problems and flounder around trying to make the damn thing work.

Perhaps, a class action suit will wake them up.
Old 09-27-2023, 10:50 AM
jalvani
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jgoga
Anyone still interested in a direct re-route/migration of CarPlay USB cable to the back of the unit PM me. The cable uses the exact same 6 pin plug as the original (unshielded) i have a few left and ready to ship.

John
DM'd. Of course I just bought all the cables to build it myself :-D Still excited to have the option of not tediously re-terminating those cables.
Old 09-27-2023, 10:53 AM
jalvani
Rennlist Member

I had my unit installed by a local shop with the hope of avoiding all these problems. I know he missed the fiber optic jumper cable and will fix that Tuesday.

I found the operating manual and the navigation manual on the Porsche website and printed both. They are of little use. Some functions work and others do NOT! I live in California but the address of the shop where it was installed is not listed in their system. It will NOT allow me to enter that address! I wonder if the software install didn't get completed properly. I am not pleased that Porsche is beta testing their Chinese radio by letting customers incur various problems and flounder around trying to make the damn thing work.

Perhaps, a class action suit will wake them up.
Was the shop a dealership? I have a hunch...
Old 09-27-2023, 04:42 PM
JJT
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jalvani
DM'd. Of course I just bought all the cables to build it myself :-D Still excited to have the option of not tediously re-terminating those cables.

​​​​​​Hello, can you put the links where you bought the cables? Thank you
Old 09-27-2023, 05:30 PM
997.1 Blackie
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maiko
This should be added to the DIY sticky. When installing the brackets, make sure the top locking tabs are on the INSIDE of the stops on the unit. If they are on the OUTSIDE, the locking tabs cannot be pushed in for removal. The unit will still go into the dash, but it cannot come out without bending the stop (firm push with screwdriver). Learned this this hard way.

Hi Maiko,

I've been trying like crazy to take out the PCCM+ after my indy installed it incorrectly. On the left side both tabs seem blocked. How on earth do you get them out without breaking the headunit? I am trying to see if there is a connection error as I have no sound since a few days. Many thanks in advance for any info on the removal process.
Old 09-27-2023, 06:11 PM
1Crazyoldgoat
Advanced

I took mine back to the shop. He installed the Fiber Optic bypass cable and the radio now works great. He told me that Porsche had told him that my car did not have a European amp, based on my VIN. Anyway, the radio now works. The Nav was not working. The car thought it was moving when it was parked. We drove around the block, stopped, and guess what? It now seems to be working. I have not had time to test it but will in the next few days. The map chip I have is dated June 2021, nothing like having the latest. I have had the PSSM Plus for eight days.
Old 09-27-2023, 06:46 PM
Mfleahy
Intermediate

I took mine back to the shop. He installed the Fiber Optic bypass cable and the radio now works great. He told me that Porsche had told him that my car did not have a European amp, based on my VIN. Anyway, the radio now works. The Nav was not working. The car thought it was moving when it was parked. We drove around the block, stopped, and guess what? It now seems to be working. I have not had time to test it but will in the next few days. The map chip I have is dated June 2021, nothing like having the latest. I have had the PSSM Plus for eight days.
Glad to hear that the Nav system woke up. Not to burst any bubbles but try to enter an address in Oregon or Washington. If you can't, then you have the same problem with the maps as many of us do. We can't access any state after NY, alphabetically. My replacement SD didn't work and the second replacement looks just like the first two, so the dealer didn't even open the package.

Apparently ALL of the map SD cards are labeled Q2/2021. Some access all states - Others don't.

If you can see all states in your Nav, or even if you can't, and you are willing to do this, put the SD card into a reader on a PC or Mac and pull up some file dates.

For example: Folder "iGO/content/map/" contains over 110 files with dates of 7/28/2022 on my SD. Either way, if your dates are the same or different, it tells us something.

Hope your PCCM+ can see everything.
Old 09-27-2023, 07:02 PM
Mfleahy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 997.1 Blackie
Hi Maiko,

I've been trying like crazy to take out the PCCM+ after my indy installed it incorrectly. On the left side both tabs seem blocked. How on earth do you get them out without breaking the headunit? I am trying to see if there is a connection error as I have no sound since a few days. Many thanks in advance for any info on the removal process.
One other possibility - The PCCM+ tabs do not release like the old PCM tabs. The old ones were quarter-turn. The new ones are full machine screws. You have to crank them fully to retract the tabs. Especially for the top two, it's tedious to do all that cranking in the limited space. You should hope that is the case, because as Maiko said, if the side frames were installed incorrectly, your only hope would be to force the tabs in manually (and probably simultaneously) and slide the PCCM+ out.

Some have suggested that the 2 top tabs be left fully retracted (once you get it back out) and the lower two are sufficient to anchor the unit.
Old 09-27-2023, 07:31 PM
jalvani
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JJT
​​​​​​Hello, can you put the links where you bought the cables? Thank you

Sure. They're all in the thread.All of the above will have to be cut up to make a new rear-panel USB port which will be connected to the front panel, and the header on the main board of the HU will be re-connected to the USB whip coming out the bootyhole of the unit.
The following users liked this post:
JJT (09-28-2023)
Old 09-28-2023, 06:08 PM
maiko
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 997.1 Blackie
Hi Maiko,

i had to bend the L-shaped piece of aluminum that was blocking the tab inward so the tab could move in enough to release the unit. took a firm push from the end of a flathead screwdriver. use caution as the metal seems soft and unlikely to survive too many/too much bending. luckily i only messed up on one side, so i stopped bending immediately after it came free. since you're blocked on both sides, try little by little on each side.
Old 09-29-2023, 06:28 PM
1Crazyoldgoat
Advanced

I am the least tech-savvy person you will ever communicate with. Nothing is idiot-proof enough for me. I tried to enter my sister's address in the Nav. function. She lived in Olympia, Washington. From what I can figure out, the zip code is the first thing you enter when adding an address. The system will NOT let me enter the Zip code for Olympia. WA. Therefore, I have the same problem that you have. We paid for data covering the entire US, but only got a portion of that: UNACCEPTABLE! It is like purchasing a three-cylinder 911.

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request