Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2023, 07:39 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by maxw
Do you have the factory Bose or ASK amplifier if non-Bose? Or do you have an aftermarket amplifier or speakers? I still have some noise but it's pretty minor - can only hear it with the engine off and volume very low. I don't have a total stock setup though and have an aftermarket amplifier - so can't really isolate if issue is due to the PCCM+. That said, I really didn't have the noise until I swapped out from the PCM to the PCCM+ - it seems the PPCM+ amplified whatever noise was there prior. I tried using a cleaner ground for the PCCM+ but it didn't make a difference for me.
I have the ASK non-Bose amplifier and it does the same thing--not nearly as annoying as that warning screen that pops up at start up. We've had navigation systems in cars for over 20 years. I think we get the "Don't be distracted" warning. My other car with Nav has no such warning
Old 02-16-2023, 09:00 PM
PLPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed when I turn off the engine and lock the doors my phone still charges when plugged into the PCCM+. Is this normal? I had a wireless CarPlay adapter but now I’m worried I can’t leave that in there or I might end up with a dead battery if the car sits too long.
Old 02-16-2023, 09:08 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 570 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by PLPorsche
I noticed when I turn off the engine and lock the doors my phone still charges when plugged into the PCCM+. Is this normal? I had a wireless CarPlay adapter but now I’m worried I can’t leave that in there or I might end up with a dead battery if the car sits too long.
oh wow - this would be consistent with porsches rules of DC 12v being on , even when the car is off. this would eventually train the battery if anything that can drain power is plugged in to the front usb port.
Old 02-16-2023, 09:27 PM
PLPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by myw
oh wow - this would be consistent with porsches rules of DC 12v being on , even when the car is off. this would eventually train the battery if anything that can drain power is plugged in to the front usb port.
Ok, I'll hold off on buying those 10 new usb cables from amazon to try to hide the adapter behind the unit. Seems like that might not be the best idea after all. FYI... if anybody is looking at wireless carplay adapters, this one has been great for me so far. Pretty quick to boot up, and really no noticeable lag. It just sticks out too far for those of us with a manual to leave it plugged in there so I was using an extension cable and then decided I want to hide it.
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-CarPlay-Adapter-2023-USB/dp/B0B4CBKNTT?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A2DX5MYR4EZGNZ https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-CarPlay-Adapter-2023-USB/dp/B0B4CBKNTT?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A2DX5MYR4EZGNZ
Old 02-16-2023, 10:06 PM
nikandriko
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by edz968s
Second that, can't source a pin to put into 6 anywhere.
This is the best choice I’ve found, a 6-pin connector similar to the one supplied. The pins are in the wrong order (see yellow RCA pins on the wrong side) for PCCM Plus, so you can either re-pin this connector or take one cable from that one and move it to pin6 of the oem one.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003586144989.html

Last edited by nikandriko; 02-16-2023 at 10:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
myw (02-16-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 10:27 PM
nikandriko
Advanced

Thinking of 3 options to make pin6 work:
  1. Buy this new 6pin cable from Alibaba and reconfigure the pins. This alleviates the need for the fakra adaptor.
  2. Find some other automotive connector with 20awg cable, unpin it and plug it into pin6.
  3. Unpin existing yellow cable from pin8, pin it into 6 and cut it. How sure are we that this cable is not being used?
myw (02-16-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 10:30 PM
diceman725
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by fritzcurtis
I am in Southlake and did it myself. Happy to help you. It really is a fun and pretty easy job
Thanks. I’ve got it in with a few outstanding issues

- The PCCM throws a check engine light in apparently the ‘08 957. It’s advertised as an upgrade for the 955, but also for the ‘08 957. Porsche is looking at it, but it’s unknown if and when a fix might be available.

- I haven’t been able hook up an aftermarket camera. I had a kenwood headunit with a camera before installing the pccm. I’m planning on taking another crack at it this weekend

- I’ve been able to verify the gps works through the developer tools, but I’m unable to determine a map location when I insert the sd card I purchased. Apparently you’ve been able to determine that some cards are bad. Is that right? In hindsight, I don’t know why I bought the sd card.

when I ran some of my issues past Suncoast where I bought the pccm they told me to I needed to have a dealer install it. So, I called Porsche Grapevine and they quoted me $1200. I tried Porsche Plano and they never got back to me. Right now the pccm for the 955/957 is buggy and a liability. And it’s too bad, it sounds great - better than my kenwood setup. I’m going to have to live with the check engine light for a little while. Hoping I can get the camera solved this weekend.
Old 02-16-2023, 11:21 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 570 Likes on 339 Posts

the 997987/955 pccm+ will fit into all porsches introduced in the mid-late 2000s era that did not yet use the quad lock harness. imo that CEL will require a system reflash - the canbus programming for all the oem features simply wasnt tested in the vehicle sadly.

for your rear camera
- purchase a fakra to rca video adapter - this will allow it to plug into the pccm+ video harness
- the cameraPWR is to be spliced into the (switched power) yellow wire in the above video harness
- make sure the camera already has its own ground source - the pccm does not have cameraGND (it expects the oem cayyenne backup camera to already be grounded in the rear).

Originally Posted by diceman725
Thanks. I’ve got it in with a few outstanding issues

- The PCCM throws a check engine light in apparently the ‘08 957. It’s advertised as an upgrade for the 955, but also for the ‘08 957. Porsche is looking at it, but it’s unknown if and when a fix might be available.

- I haven’t been able hook up an aftermarket camera. I had a kenwood headunit with a camera before installing the pccm. I’m planning on taking another crack at it this weekend

- I’ve been able to verify the gps works through the developer tools, but I’m unable to determine a map location when I insert the sd card I purchased. Apparently you’ve been able to determine that some cards are bad. Is that right? In hindsight, I don’t know why I bought the sd card.

when I ran some of my issues past Suncoast where I bought the pccm they told me to I needed to have a dealer install it. So, I called Porsche Grapevine and they quoted me $1200. I tried Porsche Plano and they never got back to me. Right now the pccm for the 955/957 is buggy and a liability. And it’s too bad, it sounds great - better than my kenwood setup. I’m going to have to live with the check engine light for a little while. Hoping I can get the camera solved this weekend.

Last edited by myw; 02-16-2023 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02-16-2023, 11:21 PM
nikandriko
Advanced

Just found the answer on previous pages of the thread. Seems like you need to sacrifice Sirius/XM for reusing yellow cable from pin8 to pin6, otherwise buy a harness and get precrimbed cables from there.

Originally Posted by Steve W
If that is the case, pin 6 is vacant on the provided harness, and a new wire lead will need to be inserted into the vacant pin. You can source this from any aftermarket Android head unit harness as they all use the same type of connector such as listed below. Or if you are not using XM/satellite radio, you can unpin the yellow wire from pin 8 of the connector plug and use it on pin 6.

Universal 10 Pin Car RCA Rear View Camera Video Input Cable Adapter Wiring Connector Android Radio Accessories

If you use the type of harness as listed above, you can unpin the RCA video out cable from the harness, and it to replace the Farka type connection port, eliminating the need to source an RCA to Fakra adapter, reducing the number of connections.

Last edited by nikandriko; 02-16-2023 at 11:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by nikandriko:
bredward (05-09-2023), medicus (04-12-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 11:52 PM
diceman725
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
the 997987/955 pccm+ will fit into all porsches introduced in the mid-late 2000s era that did not yet use the quad lock harness. imo that CEL will require a system reflash - the canbus programming for all the oem features simply wasnt tested in the vehicle sadly.

for your rear camera
- purchase a fakra to rca video adapter - this will allow it to plug into the pccm+ video harness
- the cameraPWR is to be spliced into the (switched power) yellow wire in the above video harness
- make sure the camera already has its own ground source - the pccm does not have cameraGND (it expects the oem cayyenne backup camera to already be grounded in the rear).
helpful, thank you. camera already had a ground source and the correct fakra adapter should arrive from amazon tomorrow.
Old 02-17-2023, 12:17 AM
maxw
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by svandamme
Can confirm
Trigger on 6
Cam 12+ on 8
Camera switches on when 6 is triggered

Bumper removal time over the weekend to get the cam installed for real.
had a look, no other way to do it, bumper has to come off because you cannot access the back of it, heat insulation is in the way, at least it is on 987, but suspect 997 will be not that much different.
svandamme just confirming are you certain you got this working? You sent trigger power to pin 6, and that outputted 12v on pin 8? I just got stuff in I need to connect all up to try out, but am not having luck going this route.

If I power the camera off 12v directly from elsewhere, everything works. The trigger input to pin 6 off the reverse light works (I shift into reverse, camera comes on), but anytime I try to power the camera on pin 8 I'm just not getting any voltage. Of course what I have is working, just would prefer to power it off pin 8 as that SHOULD work. So just double checking you confirmed?

Also anyone else out there confirmed this one way or the other on the PCCM+?
Old 02-17-2023, 12:22 AM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

FYI, re: playing albums. I thought I'd share this here. This was posted by and EU user TLoc on the 997 Turbo forum today on a PCCM+ thread running there. I know that several had mentioned issues. My apologies if it has been posted before.
"Now for the most difficult issue to resolve. The unit has a single USB port which can accept a 64GB storage device containing MP3 files. I have 205 folders(albums) on my memory stick. in the same format that the old system could play and which works on my BMW. When in the media setting you select the USB source. the screen then slowly loads icons but each icon is a single track not an album. How could you get a list of the albums? Three of us tried everything but could not find a way. The garage were then convinced that it was not going to be possible to get a list of the albums which meant it was basically inoperable Finally by chance after an hour with the garage, even checking the files on the stick, we found a way. You touch the icon and then the specific tune plays. Then press the browse icon and up comes the list of the titles on that album. Then press the back lever and up comes the list of the albums which you can scroll through either using the screen or the right hand control ****. Big sigh of relief."
Here's the thread link... Finally! Porsche Classic 997 PCCM+

Last edited by babylonboots; 02-17-2023 at 12:37 AM.
Old 02-17-2023, 05:27 AM
edz968s
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Woo-hoo!
Used the redundant yellow wire and put into pin 6, temp connected earth, ran test, when prompted to engage reverse, connected the 12V, you can hear PCCM click, ran test and ended up with this screen, disconnected, reconnected and reverse screen each time.
Just got to feed cable to rear and fit cameara.

Anyone know what the reverse light cable colour is?

Last edited by edz968s; 02-17-2023 at 06:09 AM.
brudomen (02-17-2023)
Old 02-17-2023, 11:57 AM
dlascoskie
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul S.
Not sure if it makes it totally louder or just louder initially--if you go into the car menu, set, system, volume--then you'll see choices for bluetooth and tuner (maybe some others, not sure because I'm not in the car) that let you increase or decrease volume by up to 5. I think what it does is set the initial volume but try it out. I'm a little surprised you're disappointed in the volume levels, because when I first turned it on it was way too loud on tuner (e.g., FM radio). I've got mine set so bluetooth is +5, and I left tuner at zero.

If you haven't downloaded it, the PCCM+ operating manual is available online, I believe at Porsche's website.
This is perfect, thank you! And thank you for the tip on the operating manual. I didn't know that.
Old 02-17-2023, 12:50 PM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by maxw
svandamme just confirming are you certain you got this working? You sent trigger power to pin 6, and that outputted 12v on pin 8? I just got stuff in I need to connect all up to try out, but am not having luck going this route.

If I power the camera off 12v directly from elsewhere, everything works. The trigger input to pin 6 off the reverse light works (I shift into reverse, camera comes on), but anytime I try to power the camera on pin 8 I'm just not getting any voltage. Of course what I have is working, just would prefer to power it off pin 8 as that SHOULD work. So just double checking you confirmed?

Also anyone else out there confirmed this one way or the other on the PCCM+?
Originally Posted by svandamme
Can confirm
Trigger on 6
Cam 12+ on 8
Camera switches on when 6 is triggered

Bumper removal time over the weekend to get the cam installed for real.
had a look, no other way to do it, bumper has to come off because you cannot access the back of it, heat insulation is in the way, at least it is on 987, but suspect 997 will be not that much different.
I already did confirm .

I tested it, and it worked for me.

I did not use it, as I prefered splicing in the reverse lights in the back
easier access on cayman than having to get in the footwell to find a wire behind the kickplate.
And personally rather get cam power off reversing lights than off the PCCM anyway its all in the same location on my Cayman, the hole where the camera enters the trunk, the fuse box and wiring loom for the rear lights ..
Splice once, get 12V and Trigger signal..
No brainer on 987

So used this diagram instead :

Last edited by svandamme; 02-17-2023 at 12:54 PM.
brudomen (02-17-2023)

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request