Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 12:29 AM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
I'll be installing a 9xxresearch add on module in a couple weeks. That (or equivalent) seems to be to best option for the. 2 cars right now IMHO. I'll know more after the install.
Wayne are you doing it your self or with Mr Wong?

If he's doing it, I dont think he has anymore dates for west coast available.(Im late to the party and not sure he could squeeze me in)

If you do, can I watch lol?

M
Old 09-16-2021, 04:18 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,186 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes70

If he's doing it, I dont think he has anymore dates for west coast available.(Im late to the party and not sure he could squeeze me in)

M
I had planned to hold off a few days before commenting. But since my name came up ...

We just did mine today. But, somewhat prematurely, I'd be happy to go over some of the details.

The PCM removal from the car is easy. Opening the unit is fussy but necessary to add the interface (or if you prefer, the intercept) board. This allows the controller to route one system or the other (PCM or new system) to the screen. In my case we also added the XM module as well. Edges of ribbon cables needed to be cut to fit into the new connectors on the board. This, if done sloppily, could be a big problem. The case needs to be bent to bring new cables out that will connect to the logic box. These cables mean that the reinstall is a delicate matter to insure everything can fit.

Can you do this yourself? Probably. Am I glad Anthony was with me doing the heavy lifting? Absolutely.

The XM Radio requires a special ($$$) code from Porsche plus PIWIS programming. This is not a DIY but it also is what I would consider an unusual update. Anthony was smart enough to figure this out. I still need to move my account from the Best Buy add on XM Radio to this built in version. I need to get the ID for the XM unit before I do this.

We lost the AUX function at some point during the installation and could not find a screen to enable it. So finally (as in RTFM) we realized we needed to install a music CD into the PCM in order to open up the screen to enable AUX, USB, and Apple inputs. We needed AUX since the interface / intercept board uses that input for its audio interface. This leads to some protocols between the PCM side of things and the Carplay / AA side, especially for phone calls.

The back up camera requires removal of the bumper skin. A hole is drilled in two grommets within the right tail light area to allow the camera cable to route into the back of the car. This requires that the inside panel between the rear window and deck be removed. Count on broken brackets. Extra hands help routing a snake to then pull the cable into the car. From there it can route along edges, under the umbrella holder (easy to remove), under weatherstripping, and over to the PCM.

We did not install a front camera, but wiring this around the frunk and through the firewall (rubber plugs over the gas pedal) would be an easy job. All the easier for me to say since we didn't do it!!!

This is definitely for .2 cars only. A friend sent pictures of his .1 unit and the cables are not the same.

And that brings up the PCCM unit that is having reported problems in the 996. I've heard software updates to work around bugs need to be installed by unwilling dealers. I suspect the 997 release will be delayed until the 996 is figured out and I also believe it will be for .1 cars only. I also believe there will be more delays. But time will tell.

Other details ... the unit includes a USB cable allowing you to do software updates if desired. It also has a wifi antenna. Your phone will interface with the old system (PCM) with Bluetooth but with the new box via wifi. Yeah, it takes a little time to absorb the way the technology is incorporated. It is easy to switch back and forth between new and old systems. This allows you to keep your balance controls. Just as with the PCM, there's a lot that lays beneath the surface.

Edit: Errors may exist in the above. I have strived for accuracy but this is still fresh to me. I will post again later if corrections are required. I hope to remain quiet!!!
Attached Images          

Last edited by Wayne Smith; 09-16-2021 at 04:29 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Wayne Smith:
mikes70 (09-25-2021), myw (11-29-2021), sda (03-01-2022), VT Blue (04-19-2022)
Old 09-16-2021, 06:00 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 408 Likes on 200 Posts

Dumb question.....

Is there anyway to EASILY install a 997.2 unit 3.0 into 997.1?
Old 09-16-2021, 08:33 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

some comments from my install of NM unit.
Why did you install an XM unit, you could access it thru CarPlay. All you need is a subscription.
the rear bumper removal is not always necessary for Backup camera install, the wires can be snaked thru to the tail light area.

Last edited by larrytrk; 09-16-2021 at 08:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
myw (04-05-2022)
Old 09-16-2021, 11:30 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Full Boost
Dumb question.....

We looked into that yesterday, discovering that the cable / plug set is completely different between the generations. A lot of engineering would be required IMHO. But I'd love to see someone do that and design an adaptor cord plug set. Hint hint to anyone up for a challenge out there!!!
Full Boost (09-17-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 11:39 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by larrytrk
some comments from my install of NM unit.
Why did you install an XM unit, you could access it thru CarPlay. All you need is a subscription.
the rear bumper removal is not always necessary for Backup camera install, the wires can be snaked thru to the tail light.
I frequently drive out of phone service range. Over half my miles are without a phone signal. The advantage of the XM with antenna is (other than tunnels, overpasses, canyons, and dense woods) it's available anywhere. I had a subscription for my phone that I connected through the AUX input ... it was pretty much useless.

It's 5 minutes to pull the bumper skin and about a much time to put it back on. Counting in my head it was 15 screws for the skin plus 6 screws to remove the license plate and mount to move the emergency hood release cable. But you're right that this step might be avoided.

We snaked the cable through the right taillight.
mikes70 (09-25-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 03:58 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 408 Likes on 200 Posts

We looked into that yesterday, discovering that the cable / plug set is completely different between the generations. A lot of engineering would be required IMHO. But I'd love to see someone do that and design an adaptor cord plug set. Hint hint to anyone up for a challenge out there!!!
I would be all over this!!!!
Old 09-17-2021, 08:58 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Wayne Smith;17670683]I frequently drive out of phone service range. Over half my miles are without a phone signal. The advantage of the XM with antenna is (other than tunnels, overpasses, canyons, and dense woods) it's available anywhere. I had a subscription for my phone that I connected through the AUX input ... it was pretty much useless.

OK, I realize this, however, if you use the cars XM connection, you lose the audio from CarPlay….I suppose it doesn’t matter since you can’t access CarPlay then anyway…
wait, new phones will eventually get satellite connections also….
I have built in car XM units in all my vehicles, anyway…..just rarely use them, with CarPlay.
Old 09-17-2021, 11:50 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=larrytrk;17672393]
I frequently drive out of phone service range. Over half my miles are without a phone signal. The advantage of the XM with antenna is (other than tunnels, overpasses, canyons, and dense woods) it's available anywhere. I had a subscription for my phone that I connected through the AUX input ... it was pretty much useless.

OK, I realize this, however, if you use the cars XM connection, you lose the audio from CarPlay….I suppose it doesn’t matter since you can’t access CarPlay then anyway…
wait, new phones will eventually get satellite connections also….
I have built in car XM units in all my vehicles, anyway…..just rarely use them, with CarPlay.
Carplay still depends on phone reception. With the 9xx XM board installed satellite radio can be played but Carplay can still interrupt to give navigation instructions. In the same way, assuming you have phone reception, Carplay can play music but the Bluetooth phone can still interrupt (Carplay operates via phone app and wifi, phone calls work via Bluetooth through the PCM ... but phone can still be opened up via Carplay). There is handshaking going on and priorities are recognized. This holds true in the same way if you listen to music from a USB stick plugged into the center console.

So I'm using the info button to flip between units. Info to 997 PCM allows XM channel change. Info back to Carplay allows the Nav screen (Google maps or Waze) to be displayed.

The buttons on the multi function steering wheel are also mapped for operation. For instance, holding the phone book button moves back to PCM and the phone number look up screen.

The system becomes more complex, a side affect of overlapping two different systems. From an engineering viewpoint and 40 plus years of designing retrofit controls I don't see a way to not add complexity in this case.

I'd love to see satellite connection with our phones. But it isn't here, yet. Until then the internal board with external antenna seems like the best choice, at least for me.

I see a lot of shortcomings in AA regarding full integration. And a lot of bugs. I can't speak to Carplay. But on a positive side, I'm seeing effort being put in to improve the GUI and features.
Old 09-17-2021, 01:56 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

I stand corrected on the XM/CarPlay interplay. Since we both utilize the Unichip circuitry, I assume functions are very similar for my NM unit.
I am used to the other aftermarket CarPlay units in my other vehicles, where audio Nav interruption doesn’t seem to occur, therefore, I tend
to assume the opposite.
will have to drive the 997S more, and play with CarPlay more!!
Thanks for the info!!
Old 11-29-2021, 03:07 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 564 Likes on 335 Posts

the wire-harnesses are completely different. you would have to get a set of all the 997.2 wire harnesses, cut them and then manually splice them into the wires of the .1.

thats assuming ALL the electrical connections + functions are the same. which is a big IF.

it's easy to snake a coat hanger or something similar for the rear camera install behind the bumper gap + tail light , no need to take the bumper off. the hard part is fishing the cable thru the rear passenger tail light grommet is a must. the trick for this step is to create a hole thru the grommet from the back seat of the car.

Originally Posted by Full Boost
Dumb question.....

Old 11-29-2021, 03:08 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 564 Likes on 335 Posts

amazing, best of both worlds - new tech while retaining oem.

I had planned to hold off a few days before commenting. But since my name came up ...

We just did mine today. But, somewhat prematurely, I'd be happy to go over some of the details.

The PCM removal from the car is easy. Opening the unit is fussy but necessary to add the interface (or if you prefer, the intercept) board. This allows the controller to route one system or the other (PCM or new system) to the screen. In my case we also added the XM module as well. Edges of ribbon cables needed to be cut to fit into the new connectors on the board. This, if done sloppily, could be a big problem. The case needs to be bent to bring new cables out that will connect to the logic box. These cables mean that the reinstall is a delicate matter to insure everything can fit.

Can you do this yourself? Probably. Am I glad Anthony was with me doing the heavy lifting? Absolutely.

The XM Radio requires a special ($$$) code from Porsche plus PIWIS programming. This is not a DIY but it also is what I would consider an unusual update. Anthony was smart enough to figure this out. I still need to move my account from the Best Buy add on XM Radio to this built in version. I need to get the ID for the XM unit before I do this.

We lost the AUX function at some point during the installation and could not find a screen to enable it. So finally (as in RTFM) we realized we needed to install a music CD into the PCM in order to open up the screen to enable AUX, USB, and Apple inputs. We needed AUX since the interface / intercept board uses that input for its audio interface. This leads to some protocols between the PCM side of things and the Carplay / AA side, especially for phone calls.

The back up camera requires removal of the bumper skin. A hole is drilled in two grommets within the right tail light area to allow the camera cable to route into the back of the car. This requires that the inside panel between the rear window and deck be removed. Count on broken brackets. Extra hands help routing a snake to then pull the cable into the car. From there it can route along edges, under the umbrella holder (easy to remove), under weatherstripping, and over to the PCM.

We did not install a front camera, but wiring this around the frunk and through the firewall (rubber plugs over the gas pedal) would be an easy job. All the easier for me to say since we didn't do it!!!

This is definitely for .2 cars only. A friend sent pictures of his .1 unit and the cables are not the same.

And that brings up the PCCM unit that is having reported problems in the 996. I've heard software updates to work around bugs need to be installed by unwilling dealers. I suspect the 997 release will be delayed until the 996 is figured out and I also believe it will be for .1 cars only. I also believe there will be more delays. But time will tell.

Other details ... the unit includes a USB cable allowing you to do software updates if desired. It also has a wifi antenna. Your phone will interface with the old system (PCM) with Bluetooth but with the new box via wifi. Yeah, it takes a little time to absorb the way the technology is incorporated. It is easy to switch back and forth between new and old systems. This allows you to keep your balance controls. Just as with the PCM, there's a lot that lays beneath the surface.

Edit: Errors may exist in the above. I have strived for accuracy but this is still fresh to me. I will post again later if corrections are required. I hope to remain quiet!!!
Old 11-29-2021, 03:49 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

M
Sorry about not replying immediately. I'm not sure how this slipped past me although the Rennlist phone interface continues to be wonky.

The installation is complete but if you are inclined to drop by I'd be happy to show you what was done and let you play with it. Just let me know.
Old 11-29-2021, 11:33 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 131 Posts

Sorry about not replying immediately. I'm not sure how this slipped past me although the Rennlist phone interface continues to be wonky.

The installation is complete but if you are inclined to drop by I'd be happy to show you what was done and let you play with it. Just let me know.
Thanx Wayne.
You replied right away.
How's the system been? pretty reliable?
I'm still. super interested.
I may have an sales call in San. Anselmo, if Ido, I'll ping u. here. a. couple. days ahead of time and hopefully we. can hook up. Not sure why my MacBook is putting periods. after. almost. every word....(well, just fixed the MacBook)...

Last edited by mikes70; 11-29-2021 at 11:35 PM.
Old 11-30-2021, 12:35 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Thanx Wayne.
You replied right away.
How's the system been? pretty reliable?
I'm still. super interested.
I may have an sales call in San. Anselmo, if Ido, I'll ping u. here. a. couple. days ahead of time and hopefully we. can hook up. Not sure why my MacBook is putting periods. after. almost. every word....(well, just fixed the MacBook)...
We had a problem with the back up camera initially. It would operate and then quit. We worked until 1 AM the next night swapping and moving surface mount parts on the PCB to no avail as we talked directly with the factory in China. In other words, support was incredible.

We pulled Anthony's car into the garage the next day to change his oil before he headed to Vancouver. Anthony got home a week later and a week after that I got a new box with hardware and software changes. All good with the back up camera after that.

Apparently the CANBus has subtle differences between MT and PDK that affects the way the reverse indication occurs. It's nice having the steering lines on the camera. It's even nicer having factory support.

The system has proven to be very reliable. And Google Maps has made many improvements so having that on the PCM screen is really nice.

But, and this is the kicker, my recent pushed phone software update seems to have removed the download option for offline Maps guidance. And a lot of my driving is where I've got no network connection. So this is a problem.

This points out a very real concern for anyone waiting for Porsche's update ...

Carplay and AA will (IMHO) always be flaky as they chase software updates. Think about all of the different platforms these interfaces play on. There will be bugs. I've seen this over the last five years with Pam's car that was built from the factory with Carplay and AA. These platforms are ever changing.

For anyone taking longer trips, I have heard from many that Waze is kicking out and screwing up. I saw that on a recent drive to Santa Barbara. And that was a direct interface on my phone, not from phone to yet another 3rd party platform. And recovery requires a full phone reset and destination set up. Not what you want to be doing as you drive.

I think from the 996 update Porsche realizes the problem here ... Do they want to adjust their software in order to chase software from other sources that they have no control of? Needing to frequently update software on the Porsche unit (dealer required) would be a particular concern with a dealer network that has gotten burned doing software updates (bricked units) in the past. OTA updates would be necessary. There may be hurdles.

So I suspect we will see continued delays on the 997 update.

As I see it, for now 9xxresearch.com has the best option. You keep the old system and have the new as well. You have support. And the system works.

Note: When I pulled my amp to refresh it (no problems since I replaced the 8 power caps and added transistor paste to the components using heatsinks) all of the balance settings went back to factory setting. In other words if you preset balances before installing a new screen and then lose power to the amp, with other systems you'd be out of luck setting the balance again. There is real value to being able to flip back to the old system. Just my two cents.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wayne Smith:
cringely (12-01-2021), VT Blue (04-19-2022)

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request