Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2022, 12:59 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 171 Posts

Thanks again @myw for finding this. I read through the PDF manual over the weekend and have some thoughts/observations, several of which you've already pointed out.

First, I'm assuming the two different part numbers are for Bose and non-Bose cars, but can't confirm that. I guess we'll find out when these are actually made available for sale.

As I mentioned in the other 997 PCCM+ thread, wired Carplay isn't a deal breaker for me, as I usually take the opportunity to charge my phone when I get in my cars anyway. However, with the USB port on the front of the unit, it will look a little odd plugging in a USB there on a regular basis. I was really hoping that the USB port would be on the back, or at least there would be a second one on the back, so I could run the cable more discreetly to the small storage area beneath the HVAC controls. Based on the pictures, that doesn't look like it's going to be an option.

Under the audio settings section of the manual, it only makes mention of a 2-band EQ: trebble and bass. That's a big miss when it is so easy to program in at least a 3-band EQ (treble, mid, bass) into even a basic car stereo. Shoot, every low-mid tier rental car I've had for the past 10 years has had a minimum of a 3-band EQ. The 10+ year old Kenwood in my 4Runner has a 10-band EQ. The Bose speakers and placement can actually be pretty good if given the audio settings and EQ to allow you to customize it for the type of music you listen to. Unfortunately, that doesn't look like it is an option with the PCCM+, which is disappointing. With all of that said, I am currently using the Transit Blu HF transceiver for connecting to my phone, which only sounds like an OK FM channel. So just having native Bluetooth in the HU will be an improvement in audio quality over what I have now.

I still plan on buying this when it becomes available, and I will likely use it like I do with my Kenwood in my 4Runner that does not have Carplay, but does have Bluetooth. I would sync my phone to the PCCM+ via Bluetooth for audio streaming and voice calls. On the occasion that I want or need turn-by-turn directions, I would leave another USB cable in the glove box and plug it in to use Carplay for navigation. I actually think it's quicker and easier to navigate through my playlist and enter directions in navigation through my phone itself. So using Carplay on a regular basis, especially since my 997 isn't my daily, won't be necessary.

Lastly, regarding no support for a backup camera, that doesn't bother me all that much either. As others have pointed out, it's disappointing that it's not compatible for those who want it, but I find it fairly easy to park and backup my 911. When parking in public parking lots, I try to back into a spot or find a spot where I can drive through so it's easier to pull out when I'm leaving. With our cars being so small, I never have to back all the way up to a curb or wall for the whole car to easily fit in a spot, unlike a truck or large SUV where you need to get within inches so you can fit in the spot.

Hopefully we hear more about pricing and availability soon....
Old 05-09-2022, 07:15 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 135 Posts

So, from what I've heard and read about Apple iPhones, at some point they will be wireless.
How would that play out? an adapter?
Old 05-09-2022, 10:23 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 575 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes70
So, from what I've heard and read about Apple iPhones, at some point they will be wireless.
How would that play out? an adapter?
usb adapter wireless charger - with the cables dangling out... which will look terrible tbh.
Old 05-10-2022, 12:35 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 575 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
Thanks again @myw for finding this. I read through the PDF manual over the weekend and have some thoughts/observations, several of which you've already pointed out.

As I mentioned in the other 997 PCCM+ thread, wired Carplay isn't a deal breaker for me, as I usually take the opportunity to charge my phone when I get in my cars anyway. However, with the USB port on the front of the unit, it will look a little odd plugging in a USB there on a regular basis. I was really hoping that the USB port would be on the back, or at least there would be a second one on the back, so I could run the cable more discreetly to the small storage area beneath the HVAC controls. Based on the pictures, that doesn't look like it's going to be an option.
Yes, imo it makes sense to have had a usb port in the back, where we can route an extension cable and have it come out in the cubby, we could have easily used this method to add a usb wireless pad in the cubby (or even center armrest console as well.

Originally Posted by TerrestrialFlyte
No back up cam and “wired” CarPlay in 2022. I don’t see a benefit to paying the P-tax for subpar equipment. Such a disappointment.
it's silly as they 996 guys have been complaining about that right away, and it's been 2 years. The fact that at it's heart, it is a chinese android device (nothing wrong with this) means that the back up camera was 'removed'. ugh

Last edited by myw; 05-10-2022 at 12:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TerrestrialFlyte (06-19-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 11:26 AM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

If this retains all the factory functions (individual memory, etc.) then I’ll 100% buy this.
Old 05-10-2022, 01:28 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 171 Posts

Update: I called my local dealer, Porsche Littleton, as well as sent an e-mail to Suncoast Parts, and neither of them have any information or the part numbers listed in the owner's manual in their system. So pricing and availability is still TBD. I suspect Suncoast will send an update in the marketing e-mails when it becomes available. I might try to call back in a month or so to see if there has been any movement with availability.

Originally Posted by Alfnado
If this retains all the factory functions (individual memory, etc.) then I’ll 100% buy this.
It will. On page 33 of the owner's manual, it outlines how to access and change your individual settings: lights, wiper, climate, lock, and factory settings.
ekam (05-11-2022)
Old 05-11-2022, 02:35 PM
tonupbklyn
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 66 Posts

no wireless and no backup cam....damn. but will still probably get it once avail for .2.
ease of mind getting it installed correctly at the dealership...that alone will be a big relief.
Old 05-15-2022, 05:24 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,097 Likes on 2,117 Posts

I am guessing that an external microphone is not needed and the internal one can be used if you're not looking for perfect call quality? The length of my phone call would be a minute, simply enough to say that I'm driving and would call back later. Would rather not have to route a microphone throughout the cabin. While a backup camera would be nice, I also wouldn't want to go through the wiring for one, so not having one is fine with me. Mostly looking for the Porsche aesthetic, both when the unit is off as well as the interface when it is on.

Also, if you put the part numbers into any online vendor, it now shows up, but it shows up as a discontinued product. Previously, I don't remember even seeing it on the websites when looking up the part number.

https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...mm-99764259000
https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...mm-99764259100
ekam (05-15-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 04:00 AM
Astrix
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
As I mentioned in the other 997 PCCM+ thread, wired Carplay isn't a deal breaker for me, as I usually take the opportunity to charge my phone when I get in my cars anyway.
It's not for me either, but in 2022 when even my wife's bottom of the barrel Kia grocery getter has unwired CarPlay, you get the feeling its kinda intentional

That being said, this is a welcome update and given my 997 is my daily, and the infotainment is THE single biggest deficiency, they cannot release this for sale soon enough!
myw (05-17-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 11:43 AM
acf
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Wait, there’s a USB port on the…. front? 🫣
Old 05-16-2022, 11:49 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 509 Likes on 325 Posts

Ok, I have to ask, those that asks for wireless CarPlay/AndroidAuto, don't you have to plug the phone in anyway to charge...? Unless the car has wireless charging, wireless CarPlay/AndroidAuto is a bit pointless...?
Old 05-16-2022, 11:58 AM
eaks
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ekam
Ok, I have to ask, those that asks for wireless CarPlay/AndroidAuto, don't you have to plug the phone in anyway to charge...? Unless the car has wireless charging, wireless CarPlay/AndroidAuto is a bit pointless...?
Depends how long of a drive you are going on. Personally if I am just going to work or a short drive (under an hour) I would rather keep my phone in my pocket and drive. On long drives I would plug it in but really I feel wireless carplay/androidauto is way better. Also a dedicated charger is typically going to be quicker for charging your phone vs the lower output form the headunit. In all my cars I have cig lighter fast chargers and use this to charge my phones as the outputs from the headunits are a lot less amperage (It will typically show a message on your phone about slow charging or something).

To me wireless in a huge advantage which is why I went with the joyauto addon for the factory 3.1 pcm
Old 05-16-2022, 01:13 PM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Received 408 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by ekam
I thought that, but I just took delivery of an Ioniq 5 as my daily. It's really annoying that, unlike the Taycan, I have to plug the phone in for every drive. Yes, for longer drives, I might want to charge the phone, but most of the time it's not necessary. Unbelievably the Ioniq also only has USB-A ports rather than USB-C, crazy for a car made in 2022.

That said, compared to the aux adaptor I'm currently running in my 997, I'll take wired only Apple CarPlay!
Old 05-16-2022, 04:49 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 766 Posts

I fabricated a mount to keep the phone out of site but easy to insert into a wireless charger. It works great for full day drives and the charge is higher at the end of the day than at the start. I used to use a charger that opened when it sensed your hand on the side but the phone would release when I went for the seat heater. The one I use now is a gravity hold. With the wireless Carplay / AA it's as easy as can be and I don't worry about wearing out the cheap power plug in my Samsung (the only failure point I've had on a phone and the reason I refuse to connect to it).​​​​​​​

The radio sticker is so I don't forget to bring it on group drives.

mikes70 (05-16-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 09:41 PM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 197 Posts

To Wayne's example, Anthony just installed his 9XX in my .2 C2S this weekend. It's awesome and I'll do a separate write-up soon. That said, I recently did the Rennline phone mount to Spiegel wireless charger hack (search threads) so I now have wireless CarPlay and wireless mount charging. In addition, my son spliced in a USB to Lightning cord behind the PCM, and I drilled a hole, adding a rubber grommet, through the back of the cubby under the HVAC so the primary or a secondary phone can charge (wired) simultaneously...either one going off of 9XX's CarPlay.

I'm not waiting for Porsche's replacement, and am really, really happy with both the 9XX unit and Anthony. Dude knows his stuff inside and out.

Thx!

Bob
The following 4 users liked this post by VT Blue:
Backday (12-01-2022), GT2RSobsessed (05-31-2022), mikes70 (05-18-2022), NC928S4 (03-08-2023)

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request