Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2020, 09:26 AM
thefunkygibbon
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rickpriceuk
Can I ask whether anyone familiar with android can answer the following?

When I start an app (eg the radio), it opens - of course. If I then start the maps, that opens - of course.

If I go back to the home screen and tap on the radio again, it opens - of course.

So far, so good. Bear with me.

After I have done this a dozen times, if I go to the app manager (the two boxes overlaid at the top), it shows that the radio app has re-opened itself however many times, and only one of them is playing music. I can close all but that one down and it all carries on - if I close the wrong one, the music stops. It occurs to me that this will be hogging memory and performance.

I live in Apple world, where tapping on the screen would take you to the already-open app, not open a new instance of it.

Does anyone know how to get android to behave the same way?

Many thanks

Richard
As others have said, this isn't the way that things usually work on android. It should be the same as on apple in that you will see the one instance of the app running. If you minimise the app and go into another and then run the first app again it should restore it from its sleeping /background state , not re run it fresh is what sounds like its doing here. Weird. Does it do it for all apps or just this one?
I will certainly installing a custom rom on mine when I get it fitted this weekend

Old 09-06-2020, 03:26 PM
BobbyLKPG
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi ! Have decided to change the old oem stereo to a android.
I have a 997.1 TT with Bose, sportchrono and NON-multi-wheel. Live in Sweden.

Will the AliExpress OWTosin-PX6-stereo be fine?
what more is needed? a MOST-adapter, any special one?

thanks!
Old 09-06-2020, 11:15 PM
Bob Luo
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi friend,yes,fit
you need add a fiber optical adapter for make sounds working
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...5415637aInpKai
Old 09-06-2020, 11:16 PM
Bob Luo
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pls check my link for a video guide
https://www.facebook.com/bob.luo.90/
Old 09-07-2020, 04:48 PM
scadams
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 121 Posts

Two complete rotations of the volume **** on the PCM is 0-100% so if you’re setting the volume to 75% before installing the Android head unit keep that in mind.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:46 AM
thefunkygibbon
Advanced

First attempt at fitting last night and it seems to have Android 10 on it already which is a shame as it means I can't 'upgrade' to the Hal9k android 9 ROM.

Also the touch screen seems reeeaaaally unresponsive. It's like a resistive screen from 2009.. anyone else experiencing this? Pretty hard to press any buttons that are located at the edges/corners without a bit of effort. And yes I've removed the screen protector

Old 09-08-2020, 05:08 AM
AitchUK
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

My unit has Android 10 also. Only bother with screen is using it left handed, for me, being naturally right handed. Haven't noticed any poor response time.

Old 09-08-2020, 09:35 AM
rickpriceuk
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine is Android 9 and as sensitive as my phone screen.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:30 AM
thefunkygibbon
Advanced

Originally Posted by AitchUK
This is not my idea, someone on here had the brainwave. I just copied what was described

I cut two 'flaps' in the top of the cd housing. The USB sockets will just pass through in vertically with a little persuasion. I cut a flap to prevent the socket being pushed back and out. The flaps could be neater but no-one is going to see them
I also tightened a large zip tie around the USB cable a couple of inches from the back of the socket to act as a 'stop'
I used the flap nearest the driver for the 5V charger (for my phone) with the intention of using the remaining two USB sockets for music or such like.

The actual CD trays are very easy to remove. There's a couple of barb like projections moulded into the sides of the trays. Just depress these through the slot in the housing and they just slide out, undamaged and ready to go back in should the need arise. There is a steel leaf spring, fixed into the housing, behind each tray that projects it forward. These remain in place as they don't hinder the USBs.

The CD housing could be made for these USBs to fit. There's plenty of space to attach a USB drive and tuck it back inside.

The 5v charger has a USB cable attached and passes out through the side of the glove box to keep the phone charged.
Hi again on this but how does one remove the actual unit from the glovebox? Do I have to take apart the whole glovebox to do it?? Can't find owt on the internet about it

Last edited by thefunkygibbon; 09-08-2020 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-08-2020, 01:05 PM
thefunkygibbon
Advanced

Oh. So it seems that the only usb port which actually really charges is the 5v non-data port ... Not much point in using android auto then if it will only charge at a stupidly slow rate that discharges faster than charges. A bit frustrating.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:34 PM
thefunkygibbon
Advanced

Man this isn't going well.. sorry to spam.
How in the hell are you supposed to fit it in? After spending ages trying to jam every wire to the back so that the HU can go all the way in , there is no way that it seems to clip in at all. It just pops right back out. How the heck did you guys get it to stay in place ????
Old 09-08-2020, 06:46 PM
AitchUK
Advanced

Originally Posted by rickpriceuk
Mine is Android 9 and as sensitive as my phone screen.
I made a point of checking screen response today and as above, it's as sensitive as my phone also.

Old 09-08-2020, 06:54 PM
AitchUK
Advanced

Originally Posted by thefunkygibbon
Hi again on this but how does one remove the actual unit from the glovebox? Do I have to take apart the whole glovebox to do it?? Can't find owt on the internet about it
You need to drop the whole glovebox from its position and then, rotate forwards 90o so the lid part is facing down, the cd unit can be seen held by two allen cap head screws.

The following users liked this post:
thefunkygibbon (09-08-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 06:56 PM
AitchUK
Advanced

Oh. So it seems that the only usb port which actually really charges is the 5v non-data port ... Not much point in using android auto then if it will only charge at a stupidly slow rate that discharges faster than charges. A bit frustrating.

I've not been able to get android auto to connect.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:58 PM
AitchUK
Advanced

Man this isn't going well.. sorry to spam.
How in the hell are you supposed to fit it in? After spending ages trying to jam every wire to the back so that the HU can go all the way in , there is no way that it seems to clip in at all. It just pops right back out. How the heck did you guys get it to stay in place ????
I had a couple of aluminium pieces made that hold the HU in place. Details are somewhere in the thread.

Others drilled a small hole and fixed with a screw. Again, details in thread.

Making space is a bit tricky as the surplus cables, plugs, connectors, lumps need to sit behind the HU. There's space behind and below, i.e. behind the ventilation controls as well as behind and above. I tied lengths of string to the bits I wanted to position in the various spaces and fed the ends of the strings out through the adjacent openings to the sides of the HU housing. Then, as the HU is slid into position, gently tug the various strings to coax the 'bits' into their final positions. That also applies to things like the USB cables and reverse camera cables where I wanted them to exit high up and to the glovebox side for the USBs installation into the glovebox and camera cables to continue, behind glovebox along the pass side to rear.

Last edited by AitchUK; 09-08-2020 at 07:10 PM. Reason: added info
The following users liked this post:
myw (07-11-2021)

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!