Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2020, 02:12 PM
Scottland
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Managed to install mine today, px6 version. Thanks to all the information in here, installation was pretty simple. Was there supposed to be a “car” app that reads canbus information?

Just need to find a decent launcher now, as the installed one is a little janky.

Oh also, there are a bunch or screws holding the black fascia on. Has anyone had any success removing the fascia in order to spray?

Last edited by Scottland; 08-26-2020 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-26-2020, 04:12 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,520 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottland
Oh also, there are a bunch or screws holding the black fascia on. Has anyone had any success removing the fascia in order to spray?
I tried to remove it for painting and found there were very thin wires coming out of the chassis into the backside of the fascia. There's something embedded in it, I think it might be an AM antenna or some type of sensor. The wires were really tight and I nearly damaged them so be careful if you give it a try. I ended up masking the whole thing.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:45 PM
rickpriceuk
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Ditto. I started to remove the screws and found the same wires. Decided discretion was the better part of valour so taped it off before spraying.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:47 PM
Scottland
Track Day

Better be careful with the masking tape then!
Old 08-27-2020, 04:36 AM
sgtm7
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Just need to find a decent launcher now, as the installed one is a little janky.
Agama, CarWebGuru, FCC, Car Launcher Pro. Many people prefer some of the other launchers, but I like Car Launcher Pro, because I like the look, and how customizable it is. You could even use some of the launchers designed for phones/tablets, but I find that the ones designed for head units are better if using in a car.
The following users liked this post:
AitchUK (08-27-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 10:34 AM
thefunkygibbon
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sgtm7
Agama, CarWebGuru, FCC, Car Launcher Pro. Many people prefer some of the other launchers, but I like Car Launcher Pro, because I like the look, and how customizable it is. You could even use some of the launchers designed for phones/tablets, but I find that the ones designed for head units are better if using in a car.
thanks, will try them, i've just watched a few videos and agama looks pretty cool. but no doubt i'll have them all installed at some point.

also as a note:
WHY HAS NOONE MADE A BLUETOOTH VOLUME ****? i mean its just a potentiometer version of the button ones that you can buy. it can't be that hard, but i spent all night last night trying to find such a thing and have come to the conclusion that noone actually makes them! the chinese are missing a trick there methinks.
Old 08-27-2020, 05:27 PM
AitchUK
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by thefunkygibbon

WHY HAS NOONE MADE A BLUETOOTH VOLUME ****? i mean its just a potentiometer version of the button ones that you can buy. it can't be that hard, but i spent all night last night trying to find such a thing and have come to the conclusion that noone actually makes them! the chinese are missing a trick there methinks.
Have another look through this thread, I'm sure there's something about it in the first dozen or so pages.

Old 08-27-2020, 05:30 PM
Scottland
Track Day

I’ve come across this little app that overlays volume controls on any screen:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...n.volumnbutton

I've given up on car launchers for now and playing with nova/lawnchair. Will post some photos when I’m done with it.
Old 08-28-2020, 05:13 AM
thefunkygibbon
Advanced

Originally Posted by AitchUK
Have another look through this thread, I'm sure there's something about it in the first dozen or so pages.
Just waded through it again, other than someone mentioning someone on some other forum hacking up a keyboard volume **** there isn't anything that i can see :-(

hopefully these button things will work. anyone else use them? in terms of fitting them it mentions about key1 and key2 etc to wire it into , but those wires are connected into the wiring harness of the canbus controller, does that mean that i do have to splice wires?
Old 08-28-2020, 07:11 AM
thefunkygibbon
Advanced

I’ve come across this little app that overlays volume controls on any screen:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...n.volumnbutton

I've given up on car launchers for now and playing with nova/lawnchair. Will post some photos when I’m done with it.
yeah thats what I was considering trying to use... found one that allows you swipe up and down the edges of the screen to change the volume which sounds like a possibility. not sure why they haven't put something like this into the rom as default, mind.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:41 AM
Scottland
Track Day

Originally Posted by thefunkygibbon
yeah thats what I was considering trying to use... found one that allows you swipe up and down the edges of the screen to change the volume which sounds like a possibility. not sure why they haven't put something like this into the rom as default, mind.
Which one is that? I might give that one a go...

I've bought one of these to have a go with too: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143688575839
Old 08-28-2020, 08:55 AM
Aerolite
7th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000799862367.html

a week ago. Package and the receiver were broken in the mail (plastic shell cracked), volume **** was protected well and intact. Works quite well. However turning the volume **** fast sometimes doesent register every click. I just use the answer/hang up buttons for volume up and down, sideways for changing track and middle button for mute. Installation was easy, build quality is cheap plastic. Faint blue glow from the buttons for a few seconds after pressing them (kinda pointless).
Old 08-28-2020, 08:58 AM
Scottland
Track Day

I’ve got the triangle steering wheel - I did wonder if you could remove the plastic trim where the manufacturer controls would go and embed these little Bluetooth remotes in them some how.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:05 AM
thefunkygibbon
Advanced

Which one is that? I might give that one a go...

I've bought one of these to have a go with too: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143688575839
Its called volumeslider
I bought the (non bluetooth) button thing thats like that. Just not sure where to put it or if I will. Although not sure where to wire it into tbh as the key1 and key2 buttons seem to be already connected from the harness into the canbus module
Old 08-28-2020, 09:19 AM
thefunkygibbon
Advanced

Originally Posted by Aerolite
I installed this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000799862367.html

a week ago. Package and the receiver were broken in the mail (plastic shell cracked), volume **** was protected well and intact. Works quite well. However turning the volume **** fast sometimes doesent register every click. I just use the answer/hang up buttons for volume up and down, sideways for changing track and middle button for mute. Installation was easy, build quality is cheap plastic. Faint blue glow from the buttons for a few seconds after pressing them (kinda pointless).
ah man dunno how i missed that, bit annoyed i spent £20 on the plain button now.

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!