Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 04:22 AM
sgtm7
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by superman22x
Looking into adding one of these android units. Do they have a sim card slot if I wanted to have the head unit use it's own internet source?
Some do, some don't. You need to check the specifications on the product description page.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:50 AM
acr89
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by bleedingedge
@acr89 : Is your camera/reversing problem solved? I don't have the car with the Android HU anymore, however in your video I noticed two things as potential source of the issue:

a) when you switch on the camera screen which shows "F-Cam" which I believe stands for front camera - if I am not mistaken somewhere in the extended car menu you can configure which cam to enable when reversing. Or you may need to go into the secret setup menu and enable the camera at all (it may be disabled there if you haven't bought the camera with the initial order). There is menu items which say "prohibit reverse" which obviosuly need to be disabled. I believe AVIN also needs to be enabled. Check your wiring to make sure the R-Cam uses the right harness connections.
b) check you CAN bus settings in the secret menu. When I bought the unit the CAN protocol wasn't set to Porsche, but a generic one. Somewhere in the forum here you can also find the string to enter at the password prompt of the secret menu (instead of 126 I believe it is LOGCAN). This will show you the CAN Bus messages. You can check if the CAN bus shows the reverse signal.
The reverse trigger is still not working. I now just use a programmed button on the steering wheel to bring up the front camera when parking, and then I hit a button on the screen to bring up the reverse camera. I did not know about the LOGCAN function and just try that out. I got plenty of CANBUS signals for things like my steering wheel controls, but none from switching to reverse.

My unit did come programmed with the right Porsche canbus setting. I tried playing with the other settings and still no luck. Even if the canbus box was defective, I should have been able to hardwire a reverse trigger wire to the HU’s pink wire to have the HU switch to reverse when I shift to reverse. It’s for that reason I’m convinced the HU is defective, specifically the reverse wire. China car audio sent me a new harness and that didn’t work either.

Old 03-16-2021, 01:57 AM
Nosubstitute531
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I just received this headunit and connected it to test the Bluetooth and sound quality with my iPhone. I’m pretty disappointed with the sound quality. My stock headunit sounded pretty good and had full range of sound coming from the speakers. I have the non-Bose setup in my car and it still sounded pretty good. I did turn the volume up half way on the stock headunit before installing the android one.

The sound from the android unit is so flat. There is no midrange or low range sound whatsoever even if i play around with the settings in th equalizer and increase the bass from there. Since my setup is the non-Bose one i didnt get the MOST adapter and my MOST cable is not connected to the android head unit. Could this be the problem? Should i buy the MOST adatpter and try to connect the MOST optical cable even though I don’t have Bose?

A Honda Civic sound system sounds better than mine as we speak.

Any help or advice will be appreciated! Thanks
Old 03-16-2021, 04:31 AM
thefunkygibbon
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nosubstitute531
Since my setup is the non-Bose one i didnt get the MOST adapter and my MOST cable is not connected to the android head unit. Could this be the problem? Should i buy the MOST adatpter and try to connect the MOST optical cable even though I don’t have Bose?
unsure what you mean by "I didn't buy a most adapter, I'm not using my most adapter. Should I by a most adapter"
but no. If you're non bose then you don't need and wouldnt even be able to use a most adapter. The adapter connects to the output L-R cables so you wouldn't be able to connect your head unit to anything if it was connected to the most adapter.
Old 03-16-2021, 06:05 AM
sgtm7
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I just received this headunit and connected it to test the Bluetooth and sound quality with my iPhone. I’m pretty disappointed with the sound quality. My stock headunit sounded pretty good and had full range of sound coming from the speakers. I have the non-Bose setup in my car and it still sounded pretty good. I did turn the volume up half way on the stock headunit before installing the android one.

The sound from the android unit is so flat. There is no midrange or low range sound whatsoever even if i play around with the settings in th equalizer and increase the bass from there. Since my setup is the non-Bose one i didnt get the MOST adapter and my MOST cable is not connected to the android head unit. Could this be the problem? Should i buy the MOST adatpter and try to connect the MOST optical cable even though I don’t have Bose?

Other than my Ipod Classic, I don't use Apple products, so I can't speak to that. However, when it comes to sound quality, there are several things to look at. What did you change other than the head unit? Speakers? Amplifier? What is the impedance of your speakers? The head unit will be 4ohms. The sound won't be good, if the speakers are less than 4ohms. With no Bose system, and no reason to keep factory components, I always change EVERYTHING. Head unit, speakers, amplifiers, and add a DSP. I wouldn't expect sound improvement from changing the head unit only.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:25 AM
PapaC4S
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

Did you hookup the headunit using the supplied wiring harness with no modifications to your car wiring? If so, you have connected the headunit amplified speaker outputs to your ASK amplifier which then connects to your speakers. The headunit speaker outputs are not high quality as I measured distortion with an oscilloscope. With your setup, you are sending amplified speaker signals to your ASK amplifier and therefore amplifying the distortion. I had posted earlier that I would not recommend this setup because of low sound quality. Sorry if you missed that.

If you had had the BOSE setup, this is where you need the MOST adapter. The MOST adapter sends a non-amplified line level sound signal through a fiber optic cable from the headunit to the BOSE amplifier. The BOSE amplifier then amplifies the line level signal and then sends it to the speakers. This setup does not use the headunit amplifier and therefore has a higher quality sound setup.

You can try using the equalizer to modify the sound to your liking and then keep the volume low to minimize the distortion.
The following users liked this post:
AitchUK (03-16-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 11:49 AM
Nosubstitute531
Rennlist Member

I guess I’m a bit confused as well. My car is a non-Bose setup however it does have this digital connection shown in the picture which I currently do not have connected to the Android unit since there’s no where to put it because I didn’t buy a most adapter. Do non Bose setups still have this orange digital wire ? And does it not connect to the android head unit ?

Originally Posted by thefunkygibbon
unsure what you mean by "I didn't buy a most adapter, I'm not using my most adapter. Should I by a most adapter"
but no. If you're non bose then you don't need and wouldnt even be able to use a most adapter. The adapter connects to the output L-R cables so you wouldn't be able to connect your head unit to anything if it was connected to the most adapter.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:53 AM
Nosubstitute531
Rennlist Member

yes - there were no modifications done to the car wiring. I don’t really have an issue with the distortion- my issue is more related to the fact that everything just sounds so tiny and flat ... with the stock head unit even if I played FM radio I was getting full range sound. I’m not sure if the non - Bose setup has a subwoofer but it def felt as though a subwoofer was working because of the deep sound. Is there any modifications you recommend to the wiring thst will help improve the sound ??

Originally Posted by 911-targa4s

Did you hookup the headunit using the supplied wiring harness with no modifications to your car wiring? If so, you have connected the headunit amplified speaker outputs to your ASK amplifier which then connects to your speakers. The headunit speaker outputs are not high quality as I measured distortion with an oscilloscope. With your setup, you are sending amplified speaker signals to your ASK amplifier and therefore amplifying the distortion. I had posted earlier that I would not recommend this setup because of low sound quality. Sorry if you missed that.

If you had had the BOSE setup, this is where you need the MOST adapter. The MOST adapter sends a non-amplified line level sound signal through a fiber optic cable from the headunit to the BOSE amplifier. The BOSE amplifier then amplifies the line level signal and then sends it to the speakers. This setup does not use the headunit amplifier and therefore has a higher quality sound setup.

You can try using the equalizer to modify the sound to your liking and then keep the volume low to minimize the distortion.
Old 03-16-2021, 12:12 PM
PapaC4S
Instructor

I don't know what that module is you are holding in your hand. It looks like some aftermarket part. I see the word MIC written on it which indicates it has a microphone input for some device. Where was the module mounted? Can you post a clearer picture and describe how that module is wired?
Old 03-16-2021, 12:31 PM
harlycharly
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Cheap Android Head Unit

Looking at the picture, he seems to be holding the MOST plug, the item behind it is the BlueTooth adapter, it's like what I put in my car but it does connect to the MOST plug for the high end Bose System. If he doesn't have the Bose he doesn't plug that in. I bought my adapter from RennKit, but they are available from many different outlets.
RennKit-Dave (03-17-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 12:51 PM
Nosubstitute531
Rennlist Member

Sorry for the confusion / blurry pictures. I have the non Bose setup but I still have this orange cable in the picture below which I assume I the MOST cable

My understanding is that since I have a non Bose setup I didn’t buy the most adapter and this connection doesn’t plug in anywhere in the android unit. Below is the pic of my stock head unit where I was able to plug this in the black area.

Do non Bose units not use this orange plug with the android unit ? Or should I buy a MOST adapter to plug this connection and potentially get a digital connection with better sound ?
Old 03-16-2021, 01:18 PM
harlycharly
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 39 Posts

There is a loop MOST Cable that goes between the BT adapter, Nav/CD Changer, that plug would connect to if you had the Bose system. That's what I have, as for a non Bose system I don't know if it would be of any use or help with the sound. Was the BT adapter already in the car or did you add it? If you don't have any install instructions for it, try looking at RennKit web sight for instructions, you should be able to get it there, that's where I bought my adapter.

Last edited by harlycharly; 03-16-2021 at 01:21 PM.
RennKit-Dave (03-17-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 01:20 PM
PapaC4S
Instructor

Ok you have the 2.1 PCM. Sorry I thought you had the 3.0.

You need to provide a turn-on signal to your ASK amplifier.

Here is a link that will provide some insight. http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t...27acefae805600
Nosubstitute531 (03-16-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 07:42 PM
Nosubstitute531
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911-targa4s
Ok you have the 2.1 PCM. Sorry I thought you had the 3.0.

You need to provide a turn-on signal to your ASK amplifier.

Here is a link that will provide some insight. http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t...27acefae805600
YOU ARE A LIFE SAVER. This was exactly my issue!! I had to provide a turn-on signal to my ASK amplifier which brought the whole sound system back to life again. These instructions should be stickied in this thread for whoever is trying to install the headunit with a non-bose setup.

You need to replace the wiring in your ISO that was provided with the android unit to get a turn-on signal for your amp.

Thank you very much! I really appreciate all your help. Totally owe you a beer.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:20 PM
PapaC4S
Instructor

Glad it worked out. Would be interested to hear how you think the sounds compares to your original setup.

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!