Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 05:51 AM
AitchUK
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by thefunkygibbon
ok so basically it sounds as though it was a total waste of money and time for you and nothing you bought it for really works.... . great
Plenty have had success with this HU. I'm inclined to think it's me missing something that's the problem. I feel I need to borrow someone's 10 year old kid who would sort it in 5 mins.

Meanwhile. it still looks better and does more than the PCM.ever did.

The following 2 users liked this post by AitchUK:
myw (08-19-2020), thefunkygibbon (08-17-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 11:09 AM
thefunkygibbon
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Cool. Yes, I'm UK. with a 997.2 non turbo.
options wise i went for rear cam & dab , canbus and optical.
i'm only really wanting it for android auto and dab really. the other stuff is a nice to have, but those are the essentials
Can you get the pdf off of the box and upload it somewhere? although i guess its going to be generic and specific to the unit itself rather than to be anything relating to how to wire it into a porsche.

So, can you use Android Auto at all or is that not working either?
Dab app going missing?! weird , have you tried just reflashing the firmware? or using one of the custom ROMs that are out there which are apparently quite a big difference in quality.

Wifi hotspot, not sure whats going on there, have you tried to change the SSID/password on your phone and try again, does the hotspot work ok for your other devices/laptop etc?

also what do you mean about avoiding dropping the glovebox but then say that its pretty much required and is straightforward? i must be misunderstanding

Last edited by thefunkygibbon; 08-17-2020 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:37 PM
AitchUK
Advanced

Cool. Yes, I'm UK. with a 997.2 non turbo.
options wise i went for rear cam & dab , canbus and optical.
i'm only really wanting it for android auto and dab really. the other stuff is a nice to have, but those are the essentials
Can you get the pdf off of the box and upload it somewhere? although i guess its going to be generic and specific to the unit itself rather than to be anything relating to how to wire it into a porsche.

So, can you use Android Auto at all or is that not working either?
Dab app going missing?! weird , have you tried just reflashing the firmware? or using one of the custom ROMs that are out there which are apparently quite a big difference in quality.

Wifi hotspot, not sure whats going on there, have you tried to change the SSID/password on your phone and try again, does the hotspot work ok for your other devices/laptop etc?

also what do you mean about avoiding dropping the glovebox but then say that its pretty much required and is straightforward? i must be misunderstanding
With the rear camera on a non turbo you can just follow the you tube installation vids. The turbo has intercoolers and ductwork that prohibit access as the vids show.

If you PM me your email I’ll send the .pdf so you can see how useful it may, or may not, be.

Wiring into the car is the easy part. If you’ve read through the thread, you’ll know there’s no need to alter any of the car’s wiring as the looms that come with will connect the car’s loom to the HU.

Glovebox issue: With a RHD car, the obvious routing for rear camera, DAB aerial, etc, is down the left side and behind the glovebox. If you plan to use the spare CD drawer to house the USB connectors, you will need to drop the glovebox. The RHD glovebox houses the OBD plug and the Passenger Airbag Switch. The wire to the back of the switch is stupidly tight and it’s very difficult to unclip the switch facia plate and gain enough to manage to unclip the wiring connector.

I unclipped the connector and brought up the Airbag fault light which needed resetting with PIWIS or similar. Bleedingedge advised that had I disconnected the battery for the duration the connection was broken, the fault wouldn’t have appeared. Tip: Before refitting the glovebox, cut the zip tie holding the airbag switch wire and reattach it leaving a large loop in the tie. That gives enough slack to re-connect the switch connector.

Android Auto doesn’t work for me with Android 10, I’ve tried 2 phones and both respond the same. Also the HU refuses to acknowledge the presence of the phones’ hotspots. I haven’t tried changing SSIDs but have tried with no security and switching between 2.4 and 5Hz with no difference.

I’m in contact with the sales guy on Ali Express and made him aware that I’m experiencing problems. Now I know my problems are consistent, because the thing doesn’t reboot at each key entry, I can list my concerns with him.

Old 08-17-2020, 12:41 PM
rickpriceuk
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

If you have lost an app you go to the google play store (via the HU) and download it. I am using ‘DAB+’ I think, which has a better GUI than the stock app.

I don’t have the cameras but apart from some faffing getting the wires all hidden, it was a really straight forward job. I will accept that having done it, it now seems easy but it wasn’t difficult - if it seems so then something’s amiss.

As for taking out the glove compartment, I went nowhere near this. I took out a couple of pieces of door trim to hide the wire from the DAB aerial, and put the microphone under the steering wheel cowling - but no other dismantling was needed.

I am near Cambridge, UK so if I can help please get in touch - PM me if it helps.

Richard
Old 08-17-2020, 01:13 PM
thefunkygibbon
Advanced

ah i'm not far from you in peterborough
Old 08-17-2020, 02:25 PM
AitchUK
Advanced

Originally Posted by rickpriceuk
If you have lost an app you go to the google play store (via the HU) and download it. I am using ‘DAB+’ I think, which has a better GUI than the stock app.

I am near Cambridge, UK so if I can help please get in touch - PM me if it helps.

Richard
ah i'm not far from you in peterborough
And I'm not far from both of you, near Bedford.

I agree the stock app is nothing special but all the Google Store apps were loaded with ads and couldn't find something suitable. Seems I need to look again.

Richard, does your HU connect to your hotspot?

Old 08-17-2020, 02:41 PM
rickpriceuk
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Not naturally. WiFi does not turn on automatically on mine, not sure why. When I turn it on it’s a bit hit and miss - mainly for networks it already knows - seems to offer new networks readily. It will eventually connect, though. Just not very slick. I am an Apple man, so I expect these things to just work - perhaps I expect too much.

the other thing I can’t make work is my iPod. I mainly use the phone music though, so it’s not a huge issue. On older versions there was a factory setting, but not on mine.

Old 08-17-2020, 02:44 PM
AitchUK
Advanced

I have all Android stuff and I too expect it to just work. A question for 'Bob' methinks.

Hu unit want the phone to connect on its terms. Phone will connect to Hu's hotspot but that's no good as HU has no data.

Old 08-18-2020, 07:31 AM
sgtm7
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by AitchUK
I have all Android stuff and I too expect it to just work. A question for 'Bob' methinks.

Hu unit want the phone to connect on its terms. Phone will connect to Hu's hotspot but that's no good as HU has no data.
I am on around my fifth Android HU. There should be no issue with connecting to wifi. I will only very rarely have an issue that the wifi didn't cut on and connect automatically.
Old 08-18-2020, 07:39 AM
AitchUK
Advanced

Originally Posted by sgtm7
I am on around my fifth Android HU. There should be no issue with connecting to wifi. I will only very rarely have an issue that the wifi didn't cut on and connect automatically.
It connects automatically with the house wifi and uses that just fine for the usual stuff but refuses to see the phone's hotspot for some reason that's beyond me. I've tried with two phones and no success. Actually, make that three phones as also tried a friends iphone.

Old 08-18-2020, 08:34 AM
thefunkygibbon
Advanced

is it def connecting as a proper hotspot and not a 'ad-hoc' wifi connection thing on your phones? maybe tried putting the phones a little distance from the car? long shot but maybe being so close to the hotspot causes some kind of interference
Old 08-18-2020, 02:36 PM
AitchUK
Advanced

is it def connecting as a proper hotspot and not a 'ad-hoc' wifi connection thing on your phones? maybe tried putting the phones a little distance from the car? long shot but maybe being so close to the hotspot causes some kind of interference
Thanks for your suggestions but no joy. I've also told it to 'forget' the home wifi but still it won't connect. Also tried USB tethering and zilch. I've contacted 'Bob' I think his name is but the time difference means we can communicate for about an hour in the morning.

thefunkygibbon. have you placed an order yet or still thinking about it?

Old 08-18-2020, 03:44 PM
thefunkygibbon
Advanced

Thanks for your suggestions but no joy. I've also told it to 'forget' the home wifi but still it won't connect. Also tried USB tethering and zilch. I've contacted 'Bob' I think his name is but the time difference means we can communicate for about an hour in the morning.

thefunkygibbon. have you placed an order yet or still thinking about it?
Ah that is very odd. I ordered a couple weeks ago. Still waiting for delivery. Hopefully later this week but who knows as the parcel tracking doesn't seem to work. 'Bob' seems knowledgeable but not sure how techie he is.

Old 08-19-2020, 12:17 PM
sgtm7
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

It connects automatically with the house wifi and uses that just fine for the usual stuff but refuses to see the phone's hotspot for some reason that's beyond me. I've tried with two phones and no success. Actually, make that three phones as also tried a friends iphone.
So when you do a refresh/scan in the HU wifi menu, it scans but never finds your cell phone(s) signal?
Old 08-19-2020, 02:06 PM
AitchUK
Advanced

Originally Posted by sgtm7
So when you do a refresh/scan in the HU wifi menu, it scans but never finds your cell phone(s) signal?
That's Correct. Pic of HU and screenshot of phone.

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!