Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2024, 06:19 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 571 Likes on 340 Posts

i need a week or 2 to get back - i got upgraded to the newest 256mb QC processor - and for the first time im using a 7862 unit.

going to get it all wired up - and see how this badboy compares to the prev one

Originally Posted by Full Boost
So - I'm thoroughly confused.....

I want a silver 997 with Bose and no steering wheel controls etc. Just a mic?

Only want to use CarPlay and listen to music and Waze. Wired so it charges my phone would be a bonus?

I have less than zero idea of which one..... @myw

I'm also in Australia - will the radio go up tot he correct frequency?

Thanks,
Simon.
Old 07-04-2024, 11:26 PM
losblancos
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyZone
Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread, you made it possible for me to take on this project myself! Here's my little review and lessons learned, hopefully this can benefit someone else.

Car/Background
987.1 S with basic sound system and CDR-24. No CD Changer, no Bose.

​​​​@RickyZone -- I also have a 987 with the basic CDR-24. Was the heregoes unit basically plug and play? Still working well? The link you posted isn't working anymore, do you know which processor yours was?

Old 07-12-2024, 09:29 AM
steviek
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just finished installing a unit from Sadocom in my 997.2 with Bose (uk). The only thing that I had a problem with is that I needed to find a switched power supply and run it to the red wire going into the canbus box. Before that it powered up ok but it was on all the time and it drained the battery. No info on this was provided with the unit so it took some time to work out what was happening.

Confusingly (for me) the wire needs to be connected to the wire going into the back of the main unit, not the canbus box. No instructions at all so it took a lot of forum searching to work out how to do this. Used a fuse splitter in the fuse box to run the supply from with 10amp fuse (is this ok?) and ran the cable around the footwell which was easy. Sound is great, although no control over fade between front and back now. My phone connects to the unit straight away but only if I have Bluetooth on. I can turn Bluetooth off after it has established a connection and it works fine. Jus need to get a nicer looking screen with a Porsche emblem on it.
Old Yesterday, 02:34 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

on the most box

the black wire gets spliced into the main aftermarket harness thicker black wire (GND)
the yellow wire gets spliced into the main aftermarket harness thicker yellow wire (power)
the red cable gets attached to the blue autoANT wire that connects to BOTH the main aftermarket harness as well as from the antenna itself (3 way)

the most box will now only turn on when the radio is on (when it also fires up the antenna).

i finally installed the 256mb unit - it uses a hybrid of the 7882 16 pin motherboard but with a revised heat sink, rear fan , but uses the same software / OS as the previous qualComm/SnapDragon higher end units. Other then a few factory wiring harness mistakes (ugh) that i am fixing, and the fact that the fCam app no longer has direct camera power coming straight out of the unit only when the cameras are needed... the unit is quite zippy, Z-link carplay connectivity is load better then the 4/64 2020 px6 unit. They do need to get their canBus supplier to recode the steering wheel controls are 2 buttons still dont work even on V4 of the canbus module.

Originally Posted by steviek
Just finished installing a unit from Sadocom in my 997.2 with Bose (uk). The only thing that I had a problem with is that I needed to find a switched power supply and run it to the red wire going into the canbus box. Before that it powered up ok but it was on all the time and it drained the battery. No info on this was provided with the unit so it took some time to work out what was happening.

Confusingly (for me) the wire needs to be connected to the wire going into the back of the main unit, not the canbus box. No instructions at all so it took a lot of forum searching to work out how to do this. Used a fuse splitter in the fuse box to run the supply from with 10amp fuse (is this ok?) and ran the cable around the footwell which was easy. Sound is great, although no control over fade between front and back now. My phone connects to the unit straight away but only if I have Bluetooth on. I can turn Bluetooth off after it has established a connection and it works fine. Jus need to get a nicer looking screen with a Porsche emblem on it.

Last edited by myw; Yesterday at 02:38 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

id get at least 4/64 unit so that it is on par with 2020 tech. this will be fine for carplay.

even without carplay waze + spotify etc etc would work fine with the unit. All units should have a 5V usb rear output for fast phone charging.

radio will work fine, in the car -> factory settings there are universal radio frequency ranges that can be set per country.

Originally Posted by Full Boost
So - I'm thoroughly confused.....

I want a silver 997 with Bose and no steering wheel controls etc. Just a mic?

Only want to use CarPlay and listen to music and Waze. Wired so it charges my phone would be a bonus?

I have less than zero idea of which one..... @myw

I'm also in Australia - will the radio go up tot he correct frequency?

Thanks,
Simon.

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!