Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 12:23 AM
acr89
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by thefunkygibbon
thats odd, not heard of anyone else having canbus issues like reverse not working.
are you sure you have connected together the 2 pink wires that come out the back of the HU? they need to be pushed into each other to make a circuit. if these are not then the unit won't know that you have put it into reverse.
yes, I double and triple checked it. I also tried a 12v reverse trigger wired directly to the pink wire and it still didn’t trigger the reverse screen on the HU. I tested the 12v trigger with a multimeter to confirm I had the correct wire and was getting current. I’m going back and forth with the Owtosin seller on Ali Express. I’m convinced that my unit is defective and they keep telling me to check my wiring. Here’s a video of what’s going on:

Hopefully owtosin stands behind their product otherwise I would recommend buying from a different seller.
Old 12-11-2020, 05:38 AM
thefunkygibbon
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I hope it isn't "china car audio". I've been talking to them for months about how crap my touchscreen is. Eventually they relented and agreed to send a replacement screen rather than a new unit, so I will have to work out how to take it all apart and fit myself.
they agreed to send over a month ago. Still haven't sent it amd every time I try to ask them they make out that I'm being inpatient ... despite telling them that I need to know at least roughly when it will arrive as I will be moving house in the new year so I need to know if I will give them the new address or not.
They don't seem to understand.

It's a bit of a joke.
Old 12-11-2020, 05:52 AM
AitchUK
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I had some email communication with Bob Low early on. 15899797723@163.com

He's also responded to queries on the Facebook, PORSCHE 997 RETROFIT & CUSTOM, Modified Tips n Tricks. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1515570201802930/

Maybe airing your problems will bring a more rapid response.

Good luck.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:25 AM
acr89
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thefunkygibbon
I hope it isn't "china car audio". I've been talking to them for months about how crap my touchscreen is. Eventually they relented and agreed to send a replacement screen rather than a new unit, so I will have to work out how to take it all apart and fit myself.
they agreed to send over a month ago. Still haven't sent it amd every time I try to ask them they make out that I'm being inpatient ... despite telling them that I need to know at least roughly when it will arrive as I will be moving house in the new year so I need to know if I will give them the new address or not.
They don't seem to understand.

It's a bit of a joke.
Yep, that's them. I'm still within the Ali buyer protection period so may file a dispute if they keep giving me the runaround, not sure how good the protection policy is but will try anyway. My problem is very clear....the HU isn't reacting to a 12v trigger on the pink reverse wire (or the other orange wire that they told me to try). It has nothing to do with the camera wiring. Are you still within the Ali protection period?
Old 12-11-2020, 07:26 AM
acr89
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AitchUK
I had some email communication with Bob Low early on. 15899797723@163.com

He's also responded to queries on the Facebook, PORSCHE 997 RETROFIT & CUSTOM, Modified Tips n Tricks. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1515570201802930/

Maybe airing your problems will bring a more rapid response.

Good luck.
Good idea, I'll try Facebook. In the meantime....I configured one of my steering wheel buttons to bring up the reverse cam screen.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:29 AM
acr89
Rennlist Member

Also, sorry for the delay, below is how I secured the HU in the dash.

Go to Home Depot or the like and get some fender washers and #4 sheet metal screws... 1" works but is a bit long, I would do 3/4"

Name:  x4UukxU.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  512.1 KB

Find the little spot weld indentation on both sides of the HU (lower edge) and drill a hole for the #4 screw

Name:  nQpncZC.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  242.5 KB

When the HU is installed, the holes you drilled will be visible through existing gaps in the dash

Name:  1Ttv9Yo.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  278.8 KB

Tighten the screws on both sides so that the HU is flush and even

Name:  mz53htG.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  310.8 KB
The following 2 users liked this post by acr89:
E30toF30 (01-29-2021), myw (12-12-2020)
Old 01-17-2021, 09:43 AM
Scottland
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

First time I've been in my car in a little while, noticed that zlink/carplay (over wireless) wasnt working with the error: "hardware err. Mfi read fail#2". Tried a few things like resetting etc, but with no luck.

My Zlink is version 3.5.57, on the PX6 via China Car Audio. Are there any updates or anything that help? Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 01-29-2021, 01:17 PM
E30toF30
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

Love this!
Is 3/4 necessary?
How deep into the deck is the screw getting screwed in?
In the last image where the washer and screw are installed, how deep do you screw it in?
​​​​​​I guess my question is based more around the fact that you probably only need the screw to be screwed around 1/4 inch as it doesn't need to go in very deep because it will not take much to hold the deck. But is the excess screw length to compensate for a gap bw the deck itself and the bracket?

I actually hav not secured mine in any way and it's actually secure in that it doesn't move around when driving. But I could slide the deck out if I try to.

​It does stay pretty steady and stay in place, maybe due to having installed the 3d printed bracket/shim (posted a handful of posted earlier in this thread).
​​

Originally Posted by acr89
Also, sorry for the delay, below is how I secured the HU in the dash.

Go to Home Depot or the like and get some fender washers and #4 sheet metal screws... 1" works but is a bit long, I would do 3/4"

Find the little spot weld indentation on both sides of the HU (lower edge) and drill a hole for the #4 screw

When the HU is installed, the holes you drilled will be visible through existing gaps in the dash

Tighten the screws on both sides so that the HU is flush and even

Old 01-29-2021, 04:25 PM
AitchUK
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by E30toF30
Love this!
Is 3/4 necessary?
How deep into the deck is the screw getting screwed in?
In the last image where the washer and screw are installed, how deep do you screw it in?
​​​​​​I guess my question is based more around the fact that you probably only need the screw to be screwed around 1/4 inch as it doesn't need to go in very deep because it will not take much to hold the deck. But is the excess screw length to compensate for a gap bw the deck itself and the bracket?

I actually hav not secured mine in any way and it's actually secure in that it doesn't move around when driving. But I could slide the deck out if I try to.

​It does stay pretty steady and stay in place, maybe due to having installed the 3d printed bracket/shim (posted a handful of posted earlier in this thread).
​​

You only need to reuse the original screw to hold the unit and prevent it being pulled out.

No need to drill anything.

The following users liked this post:
myw (07-11-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 07:21 PM
acr89
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AitchUK
You only need to reuse the original screw to hold the unit and prevent it being pulled out.

No need to drill anything.
Newer PCMs (.2 cars) don’t have the factory screw. I actually used the 1” screw to secure my HU since it’s a little easier to begin threading it into the hole I drilled than the 3/4” screw. There is nothing behind the hole that I drilled, it’s totally dead space in the head unit. You could run a 2” screw in there if you wanted.
The following users liked this post:
AitchUK (01-29-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 01:49 PM
Nosubstitute531
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I read a lot of this thread and found it very useful. However, one question that didn’t seemed to get answered which is why I’m posting again.

I have no Bose in my 997.1 and I’m interested in installing the android HU. Since I don’t have Bose do I need to buy the optical fiber decoder ?

Secondly, will the sound quality be just as good as my stock unit if I get the android unit? My main concern is sound quality and I wouldn’t want to sacrifice that to get additional features.
Old 02-08-2021, 03:17 PM
Nosubstitute531
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nosubstitute531
I read a lot of this thread and found it very useful. However, one question that didn’t seemed to get answered which is why I’m posting again.

I have no Bose in my 997.1 and I’m interested in installing the android HU. Since I don’t have Bose do I need to buy the optical fiber decoder ?

Secondly, will the sound quality be just as good as my stock unit if I get the android unit? My main concern is sound quality and I wouldn’t want to sacrifice that to get additional features.
anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 02-08-2021, 06:15 PM
thefunkygibbon
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nosubstitute531
anyone have any thoughts on this?
No you won't need the optical. And as for sound it should be at least as good. Not personally heard non-bose but it's not going to be much worse
Old 03-10-2021, 08:22 PM
superman22x
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 47 Posts

Looking into adding one of these android units. Do they have a sim card slot if I wanted to have the head unit use it's own internet source?
Old 03-11-2021, 12:18 AM
bleedingedge
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

@acr89 : Is your camera/reversing problem solved? I don't have the car with the Android HU anymore, however in your video I noticed two things as potential source of the issue:

a) when you switch on the camera screen which shows "F-Cam" which I believe stands for front camera - if I am not mistaken somewhere in the extended car menu you can configure which cam to enable when reversing. Or you may need to go into the secret setup menu and enable the camera at all (it may be disabled there if you haven't bought the camera with the initial order). There is menu items which say "prohibit reverse" which obviosuly need to be disabled. I believe AVIN also needs to be enabled. Check your wiring to make sure the R-Cam uses the right harness connections.
b) check you CAN bus settings in the secret menu. When I bought the unit the CAN protocol wasn't set to Porsche, but a generic one. Somewhere in the forum here you can also find the string to enter at the password prompt of the secret menu (instead of 126 I believe it is LOGCAN). This will show you the CAN Bus messages. You can check if the CAN bus shows the reverse signal.

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!