Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 05:33 AM
morgs997uk
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, As I am about to install this and also have a Pixel 3XL with Android 10 I did a bit of searching and it seems the issue is an Android 10 problem where hotspot has no connectivity. I suspect that the HU sees the wifi but as that there is no internet available it doesn't show it as available on the screen., an option would be to see if sharing via USB rather than wifi works? or have you tried that already?

I am planning on installing mine in a couple of weeks when I am on holiday, I am based near Silverstone so if I can help happy to. Seems as though we have a little Hotspot of installs going on !

cheers
Morgan
Old 08-20-2020, 09:49 AM
AitchUK
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by morgs997uk
Hi, As I am about to install this and also have a Pixel 3XL with Android 10 I did a bit of searching and it seems the issue is an Android 10 problem where hotspot has no connectivity. I suspect that the HU sees the wifi but as that there is no internet available it doesn't show it as available on the screen., an option would be to see if sharing via USB rather than wifi works? or have you tried that already?

I am planning on installing mine in a couple of weeks when I am on holiday, I am based near Silverstone so if I can help happy to. Seems as though we have a little Hotspot of installs going on !

cheers
Morgan
Hi Morgan,

Good to know that help is not too far, if necessary. And same here, having done the install, happy to help.

I did try USB tethering and tried hotspots on a Huawei P20 running Android 8 and iphone. The HU has Android 10 but that shouldn't be a problem Google stuff usually connects without dramas.

My phone is the first Pixel XL with Android 10 and I've pre-ordered the new HTC with Android 10 which I'm expecting some time next week. Who knows, maybe a fresh bit of tech will fix it.

Old 08-21-2020, 10:36 AM
sgtm7
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by AitchUK
Hi Morgan,

Good to know that help is not too far, if necessary. And same here, having done the install, happy to help.

I did try USB tethering and tried hotspots on a Huawei P20 running Android 8 and iphone. The HU has Android 10 but that shouldn't be a problem Google stuff usually connects without dramas.

My phone is the first Pixel XL with Android 10 and I've pre-ordered the new HTC with Android 10 which I'm expecting some time next week. Who knows, maybe a fresh bit of tech will fix it.
Don't know if you mentioned or not, but can other devices connect to your phones' hotspot without issue?
Old 08-21-2020, 05:50 PM
AitchUK
Advanced

Originally Posted by sgtm7
Don't know if you mentioned or not, but can other devices connect to your phones' hotspot without issue?
Tablets, TV, TV satellite box, PC have all connected without a problem. It's just this infernal head unit that refuses to play.

Old 08-21-2020, 06:07 PM
E30toF30
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

Has anyone run a reverse/backup camera on a 997 turbo?
More specifically a LHD car?

I bought the backup camera after watching some YouTube install videos and it looked super easy. But I didn't realize that running the camera wires in the Turbo is not as easy as running the camera wires in a non turbo.

Anyone with some feedback/tips?

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2020, 12:16 PM
AitchUK
Advanced

Originally Posted by E30toF30
Has anyone run a reverse/backup camera on a 997 turbo?
More specifically a LHD car?

I bought the backup camera after watching some YouTube install videos and it looked super easy. But I didn't realize that running the camera wires in the Turbo is not as easy as running the camera wires in a non turbo.

Anyone with some feedback/tips?

Thanks!

Hi, I replied to your PM on this issue.

HTH
Old 08-22-2020, 02:08 PM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Received 167 Likes on 121 Posts

Since we're on the subject, does anyone know which fuse the stereo head unit is and where it's located on the 997? I could not find it on the driver's side foot well.
Old 08-22-2020, 02:21 PM
AitchUK
Advanced

So, getting back to the problem of the HU not seeing, let alone connecting to my phone's hotspot.

My new HTC phone arrived yesterday and using Google's facility I transferred everything from the old, Google Pixel phone. Both phones are running Android 10 so no surprises that all went smoothly, even the hotspot id and password went to the new phone.

Today, in an idle moment, I tried to connect my old phone's wifi to my new phone's hotspot and it did, without hesitation.

With that, I thought I'd push my luck and just see if the HU would see the new phone. Got into the car, key in ignition, went to HU settings and opened wifi. switched on hotspot on phone and immediately the bloody thing connected.

Go figure.
The following users liked this post:
thefunkygibbon (08-22-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 02:24 PM
AitchUK
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vincent713
Since we're on the subject, does anyone know which fuse the stereo head unit is and where it's located on the 997? I could not find it on the driver's side foot well.
There's a 10A fuse in the back of the PMC from my 997.1

Old 08-22-2020, 02:33 PM
thefunkygibbon
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So, getting back to the problem of the HU not seeing, let alone connecting to my phone's hotspot.

My new HTC phone arrived yesterday and using Google's facility I transferred everything from the old, Google Pixel phone. Both phones are running Android 10 so no surprises that all went smoothly, even the hotspot id and password went to the new phone.

Today, in an idle moment, I tried to connect my old phone's wifi to my new phone's hotspot and it did, without hesitation.

With that, I thought I'd push my luck and just see if the HU would see the new phone. Got into the car, key in ignition, went to HU settings and opened wifi. switched on hotspot on phone and immediately the bloody thing connected.

Go figure.

Haha brilliant. Glad its sorted.
didn't even know that HTC still made phones !!

Last edited by thefunkygibbon; 08-22-2020 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-22-2020, 05:08 PM
AitchUK
Advanced

Originally Posted by thefunkygibbon
Haha brilliant. Glad its sorted.
didn't even know that HTC still made phones !!
Thanks.

I've always liked HTC. They've been off the radar for about 4 years and stopped producing in their own right but I believe they did manufacture the first Google Pixels at least, which is why I went with the Pixel.

New HTC is out now £260 and very nice.

I have no commercial interest in HTC or Porsche

Old 08-22-2020, 10:47 PM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Received 167 Likes on 121 Posts

There's a 10A fuse in the back of the PMC from my 997.1
So I have to remove the whole head unit to replace this fuse in the back?
Old 08-23-2020, 03:26 AM
AitchUK
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vincent713
So I have to remove the whole head unit to replace this fuse in the back?
I don't know if there's another fuse somewhere to protect that fuse. I'm only saying there's a fuse in the back of the head unit.

As most contributors to this thread will tell you, it's not too difficult to remove.

Last edited by AitchUK; 08-23-2020 at 03:30 AM. Reason: added comment
The following users liked this post:
Vincent713 (08-26-2020)
Old 08-24-2020, 03:39 AM
Gavc
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone found a fix for this yet? Is there a newer version of zlink ?
Old 08-24-2020, 10:47 AM
thefunkygibbon
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

no idea what version you are rocking so can't say for sure, but a quick google shows that there is a version 3.5.55 from around june that is downloadable
https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...4-apk-t4030365

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!