Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 05:34 PM
Michael Massetti
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another new model with buttons on the front:
Eunavi 2 DIN Android 10 Car Radio Multimedia For Porsche 911 997 Cayman 987 Boxster 987 997 Facelift 2005 2012 8inch GPS Stereo|Car Multimedia Player| - AliExpress

doesn't look like it has the CAN bus or MOST connections though....
Old 02-14-2022, 06:38 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 571 Likes on 340 Posts

amazing. a new generation of products is definitely on the horizon.

any typical most-hur adapter accepting analog L+R audio inputs to the standard german most-hur output should work. canBus input i am not so sure.

Originally Posted by Michael Massetti
Another new model with buttons on the front:
Eunavi 2 DIN Android 10 Car Radio Multimedia For Porsche 911 997 Cayman 987 Boxster 987 997 Facelift 2005 2012 8inch GPS Stereo|Car Multimedia Player| - AliExpress

doesn't look like it has the CAN bus or MOST connections though....
Old 02-15-2022, 06:36 AM
ergi
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

To restore the fader function with the chinese MOST adaptor (Seicane or similar) the easiest way is to replace the 2 channels subwoofers amp by a 4 channels 2ohms amp to control the 2 subs and the 2 rear speakers.
You use the same location to get a very simple wiring.
You can use the same power and remote lines and connect the 2 subs + the 2 rear speakers to the new amp.
The control lines (sub + rear) from the HU can be installed in the bottom left side of the car under the protection.
I used a JBL Stage A6004 amp (about 100$) and the result is perfect, in fact the original sub amp has a poor quality, it is not a bose amp.
In that way you can adjust the fader and the subwoofer level from the new HU (Android or Kenwood, Sony, Alpine ....) in case of Bose option.
Old 02-16-2022, 06:49 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

rejoice, wireless camera signal transfer.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3278...1563f6a424PcEJ

Originally Posted by myw
For carreras only, i think turbo cars with side vents/plumbling may need a minor workaround - pls youtube to be sure.

the interior rear panel needs to be removed - one panel i believe in which you can easily pull out FROM THE BOTTOM of the panel (the clips are at the top). There isnt alot of room in the back seat so it is a huge pain.
  • Behind the taillight there is a grommet (containing wires) you have to pull out - from there there is a much larger grommet that is unreachable (needs LONG DRILL BIT) that needs to be drilled thru so that the reverse camera cable can be fished into the cabin (many youtube videos and previous RL threads to explain this). The HUGE TRICK TO THIS STEP IS TO USE A SMALL SCREWDRIVER / HOLE CUTTING TOOL FROM INSIDE THE CABIN - the large thick grommet has a small hole that pretty much is punctured thru 70-80% of the 1 inch thick grommet ALREADY. You wont be able to see this grommet or the hole without removing more of the interior.... but from inside the car you can definably feel it with your hands.
  • Using a small screwdriver + hole cutting BIT, puncture thru this hole and do what is needed get the hole large enough to fit/fish the reverse cam cables. You can easily have a friend looking from the rear of the car (with flashlight) to see where in the exact correct exterior part of the grommet hole is being made (while you are puncturing from the inside) and you can drill from the tail light side exterior side if you wish (but the hole can 100% be made from the inside of the car). My brother was able to do this for both our 997s from the inside.
  • Puncturing the hole from the inside of the car is pretty safe since the hole guide is already there. if using a drill bit from the taillight side BE BAREFUL DO NOT DRILL THRU THIS LARGE GROMMET BLINDLY AS THERE IS A HUGE WIRE CONNECTOR THERE CONTAINING MANY REAR ELECTRONIC COMPONENT WIRES. Have a friend guide you from looking into the engine bay if needed so that your drill bit is drilling thru the ONE PROPER SPOT in the large grommet.imo this is the hardest step + is the secret to the entire project in order to get access to car cabin.
  • Fish the cables thru using fish tape/zip ties. use a bit of vasaline/wd40 to help the cable get thru the newly punctured holes (standard stuff)
Old 02-18-2022, 02:12 AM
harry454
Advanced

Does anyone have the new link to purchase the kit? The one on page 1 doesn't work.

My car also has bose so whichever module I need for that.

thank you
Old 02-18-2022, 04:01 AM
ergi
Advanced

I ordered this one on Seicane shop in october 2021, it works perfectly
MOST adaptor Seicane
Old 02-18-2022, 04:12 AM
ergi
Advanced

For all other parts: CAN adaptor, antenna adaptor, frame adaptation I ordered in Germany (about 100€ for all parts)
https://www.caraudio24.de/
To have the USB plug working in the center box you have to order a USB adaptor (USB to Fakra 4 pins) you find it on aliexpress
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1735...rch-mainSearch

Last edited by ergi; 02-18-2022 at 04:16 AM. Reason: new link
Old 02-19-2022, 07:02 PM
harry454
Advanced

Thank you, for the above! I meant the link for the head unit that everyone is using now.
Old 02-21-2022, 11:14 PM
juvenescence
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Question: Once you get up to this price point, what is the benefit of going with this versus a more established brand from, say, Crutchfield or something? I can price out a Carplay-ready headunit that's practically plug-and-play, with all the harnesses set up for me, for the price of this thing here.
Old 02-23-2022, 04:22 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by juvenescence
Question: Once you get up to this price point, what is the benefit of going with this versus a more established brand from, say, Crutchfield or something? I can price out a Carplay-ready headunit that's practically plug-and-play, with all the harnesses set up for me, for the price of this thing here.
this nice looking grey pcm i linked will have to come down in price over time, it is currently this expensive since it is the first unit to have all the additional circuity etc involved to have physical *****/buttons.... as well as a volcano grey face plate (not too sure how well it matches compared to factory). they will also have to have built-in wireless carplay/AA as all the older, higher end pcm android units (including mine) have had this for years.

as for why anyone would want the android decks compared to a more established brand - my personal beliefs is both looks, more functionality AND higher resolution+larger screen. Also I believe the steering wheel canBus controls are better integrated for the android decks. Also android native mode will allow you to run the apps with better, more detailed graphics.

- these android decks look better, almost factory looking if you choose the right one. The aftermarket decks will have their brand name on it... and look like a double Din plug in.

- there is no functionality comparison between an android based deck vs the branded ones. in addition to todays basics such as carplay/AA.... the android based decks allow you to run ANYTHING and everything in native mode as it is essentially an android computer. OBDII programs, Gmail, Facebook , IG, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Video, Crave, Disney+, Youtube, VLC viewer, Dating apps (lol), literally anything. Of course most of these apps are amazing to install + use for the first time only, but your passengers will love this.

Eventually, for the driver in day-to-day usage, you will only really use Waze + Spotify/some podCast/audioBook app.

- only the android pcms will let you get the largest screen possible - as the exterior case is I believe a 3d printed face that maxes out whatever 16:9 screen based on what the pcm can fit (8 inches I believe). The branded aftermarket decks are your standard 2Din size... and you lose real estate to buttons. The screens are likely 6.5-7".

- only the android pcms (not all of them) are offered in a true HD to get 1280x720p screen. These are the highest res screens offered so far for automotive decks, and I think the branded ones max out at 1024 x XXX (most android decks until a few years back also maxxed out here) as well. While there is a difference, you may or may not notice since you are driving. The branded decks eventually will have true 720p screens, but who knows when.

- my buddies expensive canBus porsche adapter for his pioneer deck in his 997 was garbage. it was a few hundred dollars and it just didnt work properly - his steering wheel controls were hit + miss. These Android canBus adapters are normally 1/3-1/4 the cost of the branded canBus ones ... and work consistently. branded mostHur adapters also cost a ridiculous fortune compared to the android ones as well.

- finally, running the typical driving apps in android mode (Waze + Spotify) ... the graphics in their native mode.... look so much better + more detailed vs their carplay/AA 'graphics for kids' counterparts. I get this is personal preference, but the difference is substantial.

Like most of us, I got android decks/modules in my 997 + lexus daily for carplay/AA. But after figuring out how to install the apps and use the unit in proper android native mode... I cant go back to carplay/AA.

Last edited by myw; 02-23-2022 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-24-2022, 05:06 AM
rickpriceuk
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for this. It leads me to the next obvious question.

How do you get internet / data access whilst on the road? Do you link through your phone or do you have a modem attached to the unit?

I use CarPlay wirelessly largely because I have not figured out how to make the unit connect to the internet - and because I’m an Apple user who ‘gets’ Apple Apps better than Android.

Is there a modem option available?

Old 02-24-2022, 10:59 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rickpriceuk
Thanks for this. It leads me to the next obvious question.

How do you get internet / data access whilst on the road? Do you link through your phone or do you have a modem attached to the unit?

I use CarPlay wirelessly largely because I have not figured out how to make the unit connect to the internet - and because I’m an Apple user who ‘gets’ Apple Apps better than Android.

Is there a modem option available?
i use my phone , but the higher end aftermarket android units, allow for up to 5 usb inputs. one of them supports a usb wifi dongle (if you want to give your car a direct connection to the internet).

I'm also an apple User. I just downloaded a free skin + configured it the same in both cars. I will take a photo + post here in due time.

Last edited by myw; 02-24-2022 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-24-2022, 11:06 AM
rickpriceuk
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Ah - WiFi it already has. It can connect to a router no problem.

What it can’t do is talk to the world via a SIM card, as far as I am aware?

Our Cayenne has a ‘live map’ option (which is pretty rubbish) but it does seem to update routes when there are problems. I just don’t know how it does it - presumably by radio signal?

Old 02-24-2022, 01:36 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

these pcm decks cant use a sim card. Usb wifi dongle is the way I beleive.

im not sure if the cayenne has a traffic info via signal piggyBacked in the oem gps antenna (or otherwise). either an expert can chime in (but i am sure google will have the answer).

Originally Posted by rickpriceuk
Ah - WiFi it already has. It can connect to a router no problem.

What it can’t do is talk to the world via a SIM card, as far as I am aware?

Our Cayenne has a ‘live map’ option (which is pretty rubbish) but it does seem to update routes when there are problems. I just don’t know how it does it - presumably by radio signal?
Old 03-09-2022, 06:42 AM
Pedro Lopes
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi guys, I have a 997.2 4s PDK with PCM 3.0 a no-BOSE sound system and my wheel is non-MF (SPORT DESIGN wheel with paddles).

So, do I need the CANBUS for anything? Is there any way of having a rear camera without wires (through wifi)?

Does anyone have the link for the OBD 2 optional from owtosin?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!