Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 11:28 AM
scadams
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 120 Posts

Quick question. If I go this route, would I have to do any cutting and splicing into any OEM harness bits? Tapping I can deal with but cutting and splicing is a hard deal breaker for me. If I can’t quick swap back to the PCM unit no way I’m gonna go this route.
Old 08-24-2020, 02:35 PM
AitchUK
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by scadams
Quick question. If I go this route, would I have to do any cutting and splicing into any OEM harness bits? Tapping I can deal with but cutting and splicing is a hard deal breaker for me. If I can’t quick swap back to the PCM unit no way I’m gonna go this route.
There's no occasion where it's necessary to cut or alter anything OE. The short harness provides the connection between the back of the HU and the plugs from the PCM. Have a read through the thread to confirm.

Old 08-24-2020, 02:42 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,507 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by AitchUK
There's no occasion where it's necessary to cut or alter anything OE. The short harness provides the connection between the back of the HU and the plugs from the PCM. Have a read through the thread to confirm.
Yup, agree. The supplied harnesses are completely plug and play for both the 997.1 and 997.2 (two harnesses are supplied, select the right one). You can tap into the head unit harness to power the MOST adapter and don't need to do a thing to the factory harness.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:58 PM
rickpriceuk
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

The only changes to my car are:

1. I have a stick-on DAB+ aerial (UK) - this needed me to sand some paint from the hidden part of the bodywork to Earth it. It’s not visible unless you remove the trim.
2. I chose to drill a hole into the glove compartment to get the USB ports into it. I could have for them there by disassembling the glove box but a 12mm hole in the top corner has not lost me any sleep.

Otherwise no Porsche parts were harmed in the installation of this unit.

I have removed the CD changer and DVD SatNav from the ‘drunk’ and I stalled a nice piece of carpet.

But yes, it could all go back to OEM very quickly if I wanted it to. As in, if had a lobotomy or something.

Old 08-24-2020, 06:43 PM
AitchUK
Advanced

I forgot about the USBs I removed the glovebox which gives access to the CD trays holder. I unclipped the trays and cut a hole in the top of the holder to accommodate the 2 (in my case) unused USBs and the 5v USB charger so they're hidden behind the glove box lid.

I could quite easily reinstate the holder and refit the trays as they just clip back in.

Old 08-25-2020, 09:27 AM
thefunkygibbon
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

woo, just come through the post. no instructions, just managed to work out how to plug things in the back. pity i can't do much more since the porsche is in the garage until friday at least

a little confused about the stuff though, if anyone could give me a couple of pointers that would be grand.

where does the reverse camera plug into ? there seems to be about 3 cables labeled as 'camera' one on the CANBUS 'power' side of things labeled 'camera' along with two called 'reverse'. , one on one of the 'RCA' side of things saying backup cam and rockcam video in along with rockcam power and reverse trigger, now i'm guessing one of them is front facing cam, one is front DVR cam and the other is reversing. but not sure which.
how does the unit know i've gone into reverse? is that the cambus thing telling it, else where does the reverse trigger wire connect to? (and what are the two ping 'reverse' cables on the power side of the wires?

also i see the MOST adapter has LEFT IN and RIGHT IN on it, so i'm assuming that plugs into the FL and FR out cables. and that subwoofer and rears are no longer used.

lastly, there are a fair few cables which are just wires. i don't have any splicers or owt, so how do they connect if there is no changes needed to OEM kit?

oh and how does the reverse camera coloured lines thing move whilst you are steering (i'm assuming it does), is that something to do with the canbus adapter?
Old 08-25-2020, 10:21 AM
AitchUK
Advanced

From memory and a couple of pics I took of the stuff still in packets.

The pink reverse wire with bullet connector on the CANBUS plugs into the pink reverse on whichever of the two looms you need. When reverse is selected, the rear camera view appears. Problem is, it shows what it sees, a reversed view i.e. the right and left are swapped. The guide lines that can be switched on or off don't help much. It's not like an OE system and I use it just to check I'm not about to run over next door's cat There's another female RCA socket for the rear cam. You need power for both cams & an earth. There's a short red wire protruding from the back of each of the camera cable, RCA plugs. I just ignored them as (I hope) they serve no purpose.

If you have a turbo, don't try the rear camera route shown on youtube. It didn't work for me. Also, I'm told when it wouldn't work for me, the bluetooth OBDII won't work.

The Rockcam iirc is the front camera with female RCA.

If you have Bose, you need to connect the fibre optic cables and fit them into the MOST adaptor.

Left and Right is all you get and no F/R fader.

Definitely no need to alter or cut the OE wiring. The red + black + yellow MOST wires connect into the corresponding red and black of whichever harness you need to use. The yellow connects into the wire marked ACC. Simplest but least reliable is using Scotchlock connectors that just cut into and the connect the two wires electrically. Like these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018TPSLIA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018TPSLIA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The DVR camera runs from one of the USB connectors. You'll need an Micro SD card for recording or it won't work. SD card slots in the side which is incredibly fiddly.

I found identifying the different bits was a little easier by checking the Ali Express advert against what I'd ordered. Each extra item has its own pic and blurb.

HTH
Old 08-25-2020, 11:38 AM
E30toF30
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by AitchUK
I forgot about the USBs I removed the glovebox which gives access to the CD trays holder. I unclipped the trays and cut a hole in the top of the holder to accommodate the 2 (in my case) unused USBs and the 5v USB charger so they're hidden behind the glove box lid.

I could quite easily reinstate the holder and refit the trays as they just clip back in.

I would love. To see pictures of this. I like the idea and would like to try this too! Any chance you can share some images?

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2020, 11:43 AM
thefunkygibbon
Advanced

also, i could attempt to create some kind of 3d printed usb cable mount thing if you can send some decent pictures and measurements of the cd tray part you removed. it would be my first attempt at creating something from scratch though, so don't count any chickens yet

does the glovebox shut with something plugged into them? (assuming they are flush with where the cd storage thing was
Old 08-25-2020, 01:55 PM
AitchUK
Advanced

This is not my idea, someone on here had the brainwave. I just copied what was described

I cut two 'flaps' in the top of the cd housing. The USB sockets will just pass through in vertically with a little persuasion. I cut a flap to prevent the socket being pushed back and out. The flaps could be neater but no-one is going to see them
I also tightened a large zip tie around the USB cable a couple of inches from the back of the socket to act as a 'stop'
I used the flap nearest the driver for the 5V charger (for my phone) with the intention of using the remaining two USB sockets for music or such like.

The actual CD trays are very easy to remove. There's a couple of barb like projections moulded into the sides of the trays. Just depress these through the slot in the housing and they just slide out, undamaged and ready to go back in should the need arise. There is a steel leaf spring, fixed into the housing, behind each tray that projects it forward. These remain in place as they don't hinder the USBs.

The CD housing could be made for these USBs to fit. There's plenty of space to attach a USB drive and tuck it back inside.

The 5v charger has a USB cable attached and passes out through the side of the glove box to keep the phone charged.

The following 2 users liked this post by AitchUK:
irnnr (08-27-2020), myw (08-25-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 02:02 PM
AitchUK
Advanced

Originally Posted by thefunkygibbon
also, i could attempt to create some kind of 3d printed usb cable mount thing if you can send some decent pictures and measurements of the cd tray part you removed. it would be my first attempt at creating something from scratch though, so don't count any chickens yet

does the glovebox shut with something plugged into them? (assuming they are flush with where the cd storage thing was
It would be a really good idea to replace the housing and, as someone else is doing it, should be quite straightforward but you'd need to remove the CD holder to get the real dimensions as it's quite a tight fit and held in with two screws. There's also a 'tag' in the slot where the holder sits so the holder can only sit one way round.

Glove box closes fine without pinching the USB cable.

Old 08-25-2020, 02:56 PM
thefunkygibbon
Advanced

Nice one thanks. Out of interest are any or all of the usb ports powered when the ignition is off? What about if the unit is "powered down" instead of asleep?
Old 08-26-2020, 10:04 AM
scadams
Rennlist Member

OK. Just to verify would I need anything in addition to these?
Old 08-26-2020, 10:28 AM
thefunkygibbon
Advanced

prob should get the canbus module too. and the buttons for volume unless you're happy with wading through onscreen menus to change volume.

and why not order the reverse backup camera from the same seller as the owtosin? they provide the numberplate light fitting too if you ask them, free.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:26 PM
scadams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thefunkygibbon
prob should get the canbus module too. and the buttons for volume unless you're happy with wading through onscreen menus to change volume.

and why not order the reverse backup camera from the same seller as the owtosin? they provide the numberplate light fitting too if you ask them, free.
I'll add the CanBus module then. Good call. I didn't even think of that, WRT the backup camera, any chance you can link it? I don't see one that is listed as fitting our cars. I really don't like the way optional ones they list mount and they don't list the specs for their HD camera. The Yeshibation has a nice clean easy install with no drilling and is 752*582 with 520TV lines which is better then all of the HD cams I've looked up.

Disregard. I just looked at their license plate light fittings and those cameras are far better. Also I'm dumb. Somehow my brain didn't register where it specifically states, "If you need special license plate bracket for your car install a camera pls contact us get in free" for the HD camera.

Last edited by scadams; 08-26-2020 at 01:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!