Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 08:04 AM
AitchUK
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Yesterday I removed the, now redundant, CD changer and satnav DVD drive from the frunk. They're no longer needed and taking up, potentially, useful space.

I fitted optical loops to both connectors and the car's Bose system works fine through the new H/U.

I have loaded Agama on sgtm7's recommendation (thank you) and it is slowly transforming the whole experience for the better. Slowly because I'm still trying different apps to use. A really useful app, for me, is 'Musicolet' it's stand alone, doesn't need a network, doesn't stream, no ads, just plays music from a usb stick and it's so much nicer than the std player and free!!!

Old 10-05-2020, 10:17 AM
thefunkygibbon
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AitchUK
The only fault code I needed to contend with was the airbag light where I'd disconnected the Passenger a/b switch. My local indie cleared it with Durametric.

What faults are you seeing?
these ones. all relating to pcm / cambus. taken using a hardware faultcode reader (foxwell) ... using torque etc shows no errors.

Old 10-05-2020, 10:54 AM
AitchUK
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Are these real faults or were they generated by disconnecting the PCM during the installation and logged by the system?

Is the car running ok without displaying faults?

Old 10-05-2020, 11:00 AM
thefunkygibbon
Advanced

I don't honestly know. I've tried to clear the faults but they are persistent and only came up after i replaced the HU.
yeah car is seemingly running fine and no engine fault light comes up on the dash. just a bit annoying having these showing up.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:33 AM
sgtm7
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by thefunkygibbon
I don't honestly know. I've tried to clear the faults but they are persistent and only came up after i replaced the HU.
yeah car is seemingly running fine and no engine fault light comes up on the dash. just a bit annoying having these showing up.
You shouldn't have any errors. Did your HU not come with a CANBUS box? If not, you need to get the CANBUS box. If you did get one, did you plug it in correctly, and/or did you get the correct one?

In case you don't know what I am talking about, the CANBUS box will be a rectangular box that attaches to the HU harness. It is generally brown or black in color.

Last edited by sgtm7; 10-06-2020 at 04:36 AM.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:46 AM
thefunkygibbon
Advanced

yes, i bought the cambus module for the unit when i ordered. and it was fitted. pretty sure that it is working as it sees the battery level and reacts when i turn the headlights on/off and the reverse camera screen lines move when the steering wheel moves. all of those things rely on the canbus to work, afaik
Old 10-06-2020, 06:04 AM
juliusguru
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrGatsby
The Porsche 911 is the epitome of timeless; I'd say it's one of very few cars that's truly remained the same since it's inception decades ago. With each iteration brings subtle changes, and unfortunately the 997 fell prey to mid 2000's technology - the very first "screen" in a 911. The aging, dated PCM is an eyesore in what otherwise is a beautiful and truly timeless interior.

I had a challenge - I wanted to update the PCM but do so in a way similar to how Singer approaches their cars - maintaing an OEM factory look, at modern standards. The traditional options are the alpine/pioneer/kenwood units, which are a good choice but I couldn't get around the fact that even with the bezel they looked clearly aftermarket. The Dynavin is a great option to keep an OEM look but they are hard to find and very expensive.

So I started digging and came across this Russian company called, "Smarty Trend". They offered similar to the dynavin - a plug and play unit with no need for a bezel, adapters, etc. After research, there was little to no information on them, except for the fact that they use a generic chinese android unit, rebrand it, and charge a lot more. This same unit can be found on Aliexpress a lot cheaper. At first this turned me off as I've heard horror stories of Aliexpress products. However after research on the unit itself, which is called a PX30, I found raving reviews. The plug and play unit is $240, and complete with MOST adapter is just $325 shipped. I had to give it a try.

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/c550Clw

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bXkCiAp6

Review -

Buying Process - 9/10

Buying was very easy. I set up an Aliexpress account and linked my PayPal for added security. I placed the order on 7/20. The unit shipped on 7/22, and arrived on 7/24. Very quick shipping. The lack of full points for this category comes from the language barrier with the seller when asking questions. My questions were answered promptly but not entirely understood correctly.

Install Process 7/10

Install was easy in comparison to most PCM updates, but still required a few hours work and some basic knowledge of car electronics. The unit came as promised with plug and play cables, and fits right in the original PCM spot without any modifications. Everything transfers over and plugs into the new unit, and for those with Bose you just have to wire the MOST adapter power, ground, and acc wires. My main issue was the lack of instructions. For a unit tailor made for our cars specifically, you'd thing there would be tailor made instructions. I suppose as far as cost cutting measures, there could be worse.

Now on to the head unit itself -

it's a quad core running android 9.0. It has a built in DSP, wifi, bluetooth, steering wheel controls, Canbus, GPS, and options for front and rear camera. My initial impressions far exceeded my expectations. The unit looks great and performs very well.

Fit and finish 7/10

Overall pleased with the unit. From the front, the black metal finish looks great and fits snug in the dash of my 997. The OEM PCM has clips to hold it in place, while the Android unit does not. So I did have to improvise in order to lock it in to place. The rear of the unit shows some misaligned screws and has unlabeled connection points. The screen resolution is very high in comparison to the old Becker unit, but not that high by modern standards. The unit does only come in black finish, so I had to get creative with aerosol paint to attempt a match at the climate box below. Main points off in this category go to the fact that while everything works perfectly now, only time will tell how it really holds up.

Sound quality - 9/10

The sound quality truly surprised me. I was not expecting it to be such an upgrade from the Becker unit. The DSP allows you to really tune it to your liking and makes the whole system sound like an upgrade. The subwoofers kick harder, the tweeters are crisp and clean. I was thoroughly impressed.

Features - 10/10

This is by far the most customizable and feature rich unit you can have in a car, hands down. It allows you to do virtually everything you can do on a computer/smartphone. You have access to google chrome, waze, spotify, apple music, amazon, youtube, netflix, torque pro, or just about any app you can download right from the play store. You can even download custom launchers like Nova launcher and truly make it yours. I linked it with my phone so once I enter the car the hotspot automatically turns on and enables wifi anywhere from the unit. You have bluetooth calls and music as well as a microphone and GPS antenna that came with. You can also opt for a DAB radio tuner, CarPlay extension, and Backup camera if you choose.

Software - 6/10

The stock launcher it comes with is simple and easy to use but visually not to my liking. I downloaded a custom launcher called "CarWebGuru" from the Play store which enables some very cool features made specifically for cars. The main difficulty navigating this head unit will be for those familiar with iPhone. If you already have an android phone, you'll feel right at home using this unit.

Overall 8/10

For the price and simplicity of the upgrade, and the amount of features you get, I could not be happier.

Update 7/31 -

I didn't like any of the stock launchers on the Play Store, so in an attempt to emulate a similar look to modern day Porsche's, I am building my own. Here's my progress so far. The calendar screen changes to show music controls, weather, or calendar. The bottom icons you can swipe for different pages to display different widgets + icons. The map updates in real time to show location.

Torque pro widgets on the next page to monitor as i drive in real time.

For night driving, a simple black screen with a clock on next page
Great! Thanks for sharing with us. I particularly like the quick shipping aspect.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:28 AM
thefunkygibbon
Advanced

thanks for quoting that massssssive post, chap lol
The following 2 users liked this post by thefunkygibbon:
juliusguru (10-06-2020), sgtm7 (10-07-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 07:35 AM
Cayman987.2
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the unit now for a couple of months. The software is not stable. I asked the seller for updates but they are not available.
Did anyone succesfully switched to Hal9K or Malaysk?
Old 10-16-2020, 08:13 AM
thefunkygibbon
Advanced

are you on 9 or 10?

Malaysk 10 just came out but i've not moved to it, i'm waiting for Hal9k's rom as he doesn't force you into paying 20bucks for a custom rom (never seen that in the last 15 years of messing around with custom roms for various devices!)

if you're going from 10>10 then it should be straight forward. its going from 9>10 or 10>9 you will have to use hal9k's app to make it a lot easier (else there is a lot of faffing around and potential for bricking. making matters worse is that these head units dont have buttons so i have no clue how to get into recovery mode which is usually from pressing and holding a button or two on bootup.
Old 10-18-2020, 04:52 AM
Gavc
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What’s the benefit of going to these custom roms ?
Does all the hardware continue to work? Particularly carplay?
Old 10-18-2020, 05:28 AM
thefunkygibbon
Advanced

Yes it does all still work. Just as you can probably imagine , the chinese manufacturers don't much care for or put a lot of effort into optimising the android OS and stuff that runs on it. Custom ROMs are made by the community basing the ROMs on either the original ROM and optimising it or building an OS from Android source if possible .
Old 10-23-2020, 03:48 AM
Gavc
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone worked out how to map Multi-function steering buttons to Siri?
I noticed the key mapping section in the zlink app, but it doesnt recognise the steering wheel keys
Old 10-26-2020, 03:15 PM
Cayman987.2
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thefunkygibbon
are you on 9 or 10?

Malaysk 10 just came out but i've not moved to it, i'm waiting for Hal9k's rom as he doesn't force you into paying 20bucks for a custom rom (never seen that in the last 15 years of messing around with custom roms for various devices!)

if you're going from 10>10 then it should be straight forward. its going from 9>10 or 10>9 you will have to use hal9k's app to make it a lot easier (else there is a lot of faffing around and potential for bricking. making matters worse is that these head units dont have buttons so i have no clue how to get into recovery mode which is usually from pressing and holding a button or two on bootup.
I am on 9
Kernel version 4.4.167
MCU version MTCE_CHS_V#.40_1

I would love to upgrade to Hal9k or malaysk does anyone have a how to? Or is this "plug and play". I have the bluethooth Apple car play module.
Old 10-26-2020, 04:16 PM
acr89
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 145 Posts

Just ordered the Owtosin unit from Ali. I see some people have installed a USB volume **** on their console. Does anyone have a link to a good one to purchase? All of the USB volume ***** I can find are large - and I could order one and attempt to take it apart, since the chip is probably very small, but hoping someone has already found a good one to order. I don't want to use an RCA-based volume **** since those aren't actually adjusting the HU volume - just attenuating the signal between the HU and the Bose amp.

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!