Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 09:27 AM
thefunkygibbon
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just found this one, looks a bit smarter but its bigger ... would it fit on top of the ashtray or is it too wide for that? (not got car to hand to measure myself)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Cup-S...torefresh=true
Old 09-01-2020, 04:22 AM
LFB
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by thefunkygibbon
WHY HAS NOONE MADE A BLUETOOTH VOLUME ****?
I do understand the desire for a rotary volume ****, but when I think about the best steering wheel controls I’ve ever had, a button-based controller starts to become more acceptable.

Search “Satechi Bluetooth remote” on Amazon if you’re interested.
Old 09-01-2020, 04:31 AM
thefunkygibbon
Advanced

Originally Posted by LFB
I do understand the desire for a rotary volume ****, but when I think about the best steering wheel controls I’ve ever had, a button-based controller starts to become more acceptable.

Ok its only because the big control ***** on luxury cars like audi and BMW take a lot of beating imo. Although i appreciate that i would likely ever able to properly emulate that in a porsche for a number of reasons.

What makes this satechi button any better or different to the other bluetooth or not bluetooth buttons which most seem to have bought with this HU?
Old 09-01-2020, 04:41 PM
Scottland
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LFB

I got something similar to this. However I cannot seem to pair it - it is visible but won’t pair or connect. Did you have any issues with that one?
Old 09-01-2020, 09:25 PM
LFB
Rennlist Member

What makes this satechi button any better or different to the other bluetooth or not bluetooth buttons which most seem to have bought with this HU?
I don't think either of those claims were made. All I can say about the Satechi product is that it was available from Amazon rather than Alibaba, fits on the 997.1 sport non-tip steering wheel, works right out of the box, and I had the ability to walk into the garage and snap a pic of it to add to this thread.

Originally Posted by Scottland
I got something similar to this. However I cannot seem to pair it - it is visible but won’t pair or connect. Did you have any issues with that one?
Effortless. Pairing button on the back of the unit. Re-pairs instantly, but first button press sometimes seems to be ignored/not received, like something involved has to wake up.
Old 09-02-2020, 03:31 AM
Scottland
Track Day

I seems some the listings for these say the don't work with Android car radios. A bit odd as I don't see what's different about them. Also I would have thought they're all the same things from China. Anyway, have ordered the Satechi one - at least I can return to Amazon...
Old 09-02-2020, 05:04 AM
thefunkygibbon
Advanced

Originally Posted by LFB
I don't think either of those claims were made. All I can say about the Satechi product is that it was available from Amazon rather than Alibaba, fits on the 997.1 sport non-tip steering wheel, works right out of the box, and I had the ability to walk into the garage and snap a pic of it to add to this thread.
Oh ok
All i can find on amazon is a plain Satechi button. the one in your photo looks like it is moulded onto the silver plastic behind it?

Either way, I'm 997.2 with a sports design wheel so i don't really have anywhere to put a button on there. But it does look nice. If the non-bluetooth buttons i have already bought seem to be a bit naff then i'll prob order that one to see
Old 09-02-2020, 02:41 PM
RABjr
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

That looks great, good post.

Rick
Old 09-02-2020, 05:07 PM
LFB
Rennlist Member

the one in your photo looks like it is moulded onto the silver plastic behind it?

Pic might make it look better than it is. It's just stuck on with the double sided tape it came with. Feels very good and works very well (although I am not satisfied with the Android head unit experience on the whole). Possible options beyond sticking it on the surface would include:
  • Gluing a neodymium magnet to the back of the silver plastic and sticking a ferrous disc to the remote (some risk of it moving / rotating under usage)
  • Milling a pocket into the plastic piece for the remote to recess into (hard to cleanly make the edges around the remote look finished)
  • 3D printing a replacement steering wheel insert that has a pocket already (no great way to do a finish & color that will be pleasing & matching)
  • Selling the head unit and going on to the next project
Old 09-02-2020, 05:30 PM
thefunkygibbon
Advanced

What is your beef with the head unit then? (i've still not even powered it up yet!)
and do you come from an iphone background?
Old 09-02-2020, 06:37 PM
AitchUK
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LFB

(although I am not satisfied with the Android head unit experience on the whole).
I have to say there were times when I thought this a big mistake. However, I'm now of the opinion that it's not so bad after all. It has so many features that just take time to refine and once they start to become readily available begin to make sense of the concept.

It's all singing and all dancing but within limits. A decent interface makes a big difference and thanks to SGTM7 and his suggestions, I installed Agama which does the job well and there are others.

I've been fortunate in having a multi-function steering wheel with volume control that just worked. Once you have a control that suits you, the experience should improve imo.

Old 09-03-2020, 04:43 AM
rickpriceuk
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Can I ask whether anyone familiar with android can answer the following?

When I start an app (eg the radio), it opens - of course. If I then start the maps, that opens - of course.

If I go back to the home screen and tap on the radio again, it opens - of course.

So far, so good. Bear with me.

After I have done this a dozen times, if I go to the app manager (the two boxes overlaid at the top), it shows that the radio app has re-opened itself however many times, and only one of them is playing music. I can close all but that one down and it all carries on - if I close the wrong one, the music stops. It occurs to me that this will be hogging memory and performance.

I live in Apple world, where tapping on the screen would take you to the already-open app, not open a new instance of it.

Does anyone know how to get android to behave the same way?

Many thanks

Richard
Old 09-03-2020, 06:24 AM
sgtm7
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rickpriceuk

When I start an app (eg the radio), it opens - of course. If I then start the maps, that opens - of course.

If I go back to the home screen and tap on the radio again, it opens - of course.

So far, so good. Bear with me.

After I have done this a dozen times, if I go to the app manager (the two boxes overlaid at the top), it shows that the radio app has re-opened itself however many times, and only one of them is playing music. I can close all but that one down and it all carries on - if I close the wrong one, the music stops. It occurs to me that this will be hogging memory and performance.

I live in Apple world, where tapping on the screen would take you to the already-open app, not open a new instance of it.

Many thanks

Richard
I currently have 3 Android head units(installed in 3 different cars), and none of them do what you say yours is doing. My phones don't do it either. This appears to be something peculiar to your head unit, rather than Android. Unless....... Does it do it with only the radio app, or with other apps as well? I don't actually ever use the radio, so it could possibly be something with the radio app.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:34 AM
AitchUK
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rickpriceuk

Many thanks

Richard
Android does, or should behave as you describe. Only one instance of an app at any one time.

Originally Posted by sgtm7
This appears to be something peculiar to your head unit, rather than Android. Unless....... Does it do it with only the radio app, or with other apps as well? I don't actually ever use the radio, so it could possibly be something with the radio app.
Wot 'e said

Old 09-03-2020, 09:19 AM
Scottland
Track Day

Originally Posted by LFB

Are you using a custom ROM or something? I’ve got the satechi unit now and it still won’t connect/pair. A quick google around suggests none of them will work unless using some sort of custom or modified ROM.

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!