Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 09:51 PM
dLat
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

They really gotta release perfect fitment screen protectors.

And yes PX6 is the latest (at least it was the latest since I installed it.)

And @AndyJ , that was originally what I had in mind as well for creating the remotes. Amazing work to see this executed. Do you have more detailed photos of how you fabricated this with the plywood?
Old 06-27-2020, 03:39 AM
AndyJ
5th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Apologies - I didn't take any pics while fabricating the panel but there's nothing complicated about it: I just cut a rectangle from some 5.5mm ply using the original ashtray as a template and then used a holesaw (from memory I think it was 38mm) to make the holes. Make sure there is space behind where you cut the holes as the remote disks will protrude slightly.

Painting was the trickiest bit for me. I bought a can of colour matched spray paint and a can of lacquer from a local paint shop and used guides on the internet.

Finally I just pushed the remote disks into place. They are a really tight fit and I needed to use a dab of vaseline to get them in.

Here's a close-up:

The following 3 users liked this post by AndyJ:
BLU997 (10-05-2020), dLat (06-27-2020), PV997 (07-05-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 04:45 AM
AitchUK
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Such an informative thread, thank you, I've been inspired to order a PX6 plus add ons for my newly acquired 997.1 tubo with Bose & sterring wheel controls.

For me, DAB radio is a must and having seen the recommendation from bleedingedge I've tried to order a DAB bumper aerial from Arsshop in Germany but they don't ship to UK. Does anyone know of similar available to UK please? Hidden fitment ideally as I don't want to stick things in the windscreen or on the roof.

Until the unit arrives, I'll just continue re-reading this thread as I plan having a go at fitting it myself.

Old 06-27-2020, 06:51 AM
dLat
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure if this will help anyone:

radio- there may be some settings in factory settings (pw:126) in addition to the physical antenna you hook up.
I personally never used radio

Steering wheel control- again, you’ll need to fiddle with factory settings to select swc (For the aliexpres aftermarket external buttons or canbus if you want to try programming your steering wheel).

fitment- as with any aftermarket product, there may be fitment issues, post the pic of your radio asap upon arrival so we can start offering suggestions if possible
The following users liked this post:
AitchUK (06-27-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 07:09 AM
AitchUK
Advanced

Originally Posted by dLat
Not sure if this will help anyone:

radio- there may be some settings in factory settings (pw:126) in addition to the physical antenna you hook up.
I personally never used radio

Steering wheel control- again, you’ll need to fiddle with factory settings to select swc (For the aliexpres aftermarket external buttons or canbus if you want to try programming your steering wheel).

fitment- as with any aftermarket product, there may be fitment issues, post the pic of your radio asap upon arrival so we can start offering suggestions if possible
Fantastic, thank you.
Old 06-27-2020, 12:11 PM
Muuhaha
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by rickpriceuk
Learning points for this unit:

1. in the factory settings (CAR - FACTORY SETTINGS - PIN 126) you will find a ‘turn off’ function - refers to when the unit turns off after key removal. Mine was set to ‘automatic’ and was not turning the unit off. Boot time was instant but when I didn’t drive the car for a week the battery was almost dead. So mine now says ‘30 seconds’ and I get a proper shut down. It means boot is maybe 10-15 seconds but I do get the nice Porsche logo.

Rich
Does anyone know the sub menu this setting is in once you enter the pin? There's one that says radio, can bus, etc... I can't find one that says anything about turning off - - any help would be great!
Old 06-27-2020, 04:18 PM
Muuhaha
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Muuhaha
Does anyone know the sub menu this setting is in once you enter the pin? There's one that says radio, can bus, etc... I can't find one that says anything about turning off - - any help would be great!
To answer my own question, I found the setting not in car settings, but in advanced or extra features (I can't remember which one it was) but it's right under car settings and the auto power off option is one of the first options on the menu.
Old 07-05-2020, 03:29 AM
bleedingedge
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by AitchUK
Such an informative thread, thank you, I've been inspired to order a PX6 plus add ons for my newly acquired 997.1 tubo with Bose & sterring wheel controls.

For me, DAB radio is a must and having seen the recommendation from bleedingedge I've tried to order a DAB bumper aerial from Arsshop in Germany but they don't ship to UK. Does anyone know of similar available to UK please? Hidden fitment ideally as I don't want to stick things in the windscreen or on the roof.

Until the unit arrives, I'll just continue re-reading this thread as I plan having a go at fitting it myself.

I recently changed to a 991 so have the bumper aerial available and happy to sell/ship to UK, cannot PM you as you declined recieveing PMs. If you PM me, we can agree things if you like.
AitchUK (07-05-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 04:11 AM
AitchUK
Advanced

Originally Posted by bleedingedge
I recently changed to a 991 so have the bumper aerial available and happy to sell/ship to UK, cannot PM you as you declined recieveing PMs. If you PM me, we can agree things if you like.
Thank you for your offer which I'd like to take up. I've tried to find the PM option but it's not avaiable to me, maybe because I've not made enough posts. All I seem able to do is 'public message' you on your profile page so I'll do that.

Old 07-06-2020, 12:33 PM
morgs997uk
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Order placed

Hi All my car is a 2005 C2 with BOSE.
Having read this thread twice to hopefully get it right I've just ordered the PX6 HU with IPS upgrade, BT5,DSP, MOST adaptor and Android Auto. I also ordered the rear camera, DVR dashcam and option Steering Wheel buttons with the CANBUs adaptor so hopefully I will have physical Vol buttons I can mount . Hopefully this will arrive in a couple of weeks , and by then I will have re-read the thread. I think the FM GPS aerial bit might need another adaptor, but I need to understand that once I have it in bits I think.
Thanks to everyone for this thread will let you know how it goes once delivered.
cheers
Morgan
myw (07-06-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 01:30 PM
rickpriceuk
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

An update:

I have been running with this for a couple of months now and it works perfectly for what I need it. I now have it painted so it looks like this:

Only downside is that the Head Unit itself, whilst having any map App available for Android, does not have an internet connection (or if it does I haven't found it). As such I cannot do live traffic updates through the Head Unit, although I can through the CarPlay - which has a selection of map Apps (controlled by Apple but includes Apple Maps, Google Maps and Waze, I think). Personally I don't use the maps often in any event and am happy to use my phone when I do.

There are strictly defined apps that appear on CarPlay so don't assume that everything is there - far from it, and if a particular app is important to you I would suggest you look up the latest list of 'recognised' apps.

Cheers

Rich
The following 3 users liked this post by rickpriceuk:
AitchUK (07-06-2020), dLat (07-16-2020), myw (07-06-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 05:01 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 571 Likes on 340 Posts

which country are u located in? EU?

Originally Posted by morgs997uk
Hi All my car is a 2005 C2 with BOSE.
Having read this thread twice to hopefully get it right I've just ordered the PX6 HU with IPS upgrade, BT5,DSP, MOST adaptor and Android Auto. I also ordered the rear camera, DVR dashcam and option Steering Wheel buttons with the CANBUs adaptor so hopefully I will have physical Vol buttons I can mount . Hopefully this will arrive in a couple of weeks , and by then I will have re-read the thread. I think the FM GPS aerial bit might need another adaptor, but I need to understand that once I have it in bits I think.
Thanks to everyone for this thread will let you know how it goes once delivered.
cheers
Morgan
Old 07-06-2020, 05:03 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

rich, thank you for this.

can you not give tether your phone internet to provide data to the owTowsin deck?

also it looks hot AF btw.

An update:

I have been running with this for a couple of months now and it works perfectly for what I need it. I now have it painted so it looks like this:

Only downside is that the Head Unit itself, whilst having any map App available for Android, does not have an internet connection (or if it does I haven't found it). As such I cannot do live traffic updates through the Head Unit, although I can through the CarPlay - which has a selection of map Apps (controlled by Apple but includes Apple Maps, Google Maps and Waze, I think). Personally I don't use the maps often in any event and am happy to use my phone when I do.

There are strictly defined apps that appear on CarPlay so don't assume that everything is there - far from it, and if a particular app is important to you I would suggest you look up the latest list of 'recognised' apps.

Cheers

Rich
Old 07-06-2020, 05:05 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

does it not have netflix, youtube, spotify waze?

An update:

Cheers

Rich
Old 07-06-2020, 05:24 PM
morgs997uk
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by myw
which country are u located in? EU?
Hi
Yes​​​​​​I am in the UK
cheers Morgan

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!