Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2023, 11:00 AM
clearwaterms
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by clearwaterms
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on one of these for my 2005 997 /w Bose. Based on the amazing work that @MattDevoCustoms has done I was going to go with the heregoes unit. I have a few questions I'm hoping everybody can help me with before I pull the trigger.

1. Is this the unit that everybody recommends if you want to take advantage of MattDevo's image/firmware? https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804900229496.html (I'm specifically looking at the one that says 7862 /w 8G ram and 128GB ROM for $421.xx US)
2. is this the correct Fakra adapter? https://www.amazon.com/Antenna-Adapt...s%2C108&sr=1-4
3. which cameras do folks recommend for front and rear camera?
4. Is there anything else besides the Fakra adapter and cameras that are needed to complete the install?
5. which OBD-II adapter to take advantage of the android's ability to do OBD II?

thank you to everybody in advance.
bubbling this back up to confirm i'm excited to order everything and want to confirm i order all of the right stuff from the china provider so when it arrives i can install it immediately.
Old 10-11-2023, 09:34 PM
scadams
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedZed
Some units have a tiny hole where you can insert a paperclip (etc) to perform a reset. This is often on the front panel of the head unit - it is hard to see it so check carefully, if you haven't already. Failing any form of reset control (which seems crazy, I agree) the quickest way to do a reset would seem to be by pulling the PCM fuse for a couple of seconds, causing the unit to reboot.
Found it. There’s a slim silver inlay along the bottom of the fascia with a tiny hole at each end. The hole on the right side is the power reset button. I’d prefer a soft reboot button in the UI but this will suffice in the event it happens again.
The following 2 users liked this post by scadams:
myw (03-22-2024), ZedZed (10-12-2023)
Old 10-11-2023, 09:38 PM
scadams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Barry987
Hi
On my PX6 there is a secret menu which allows you change boot time etc. Go, car->factory settings->pin#126. Worth a try.
Barry
Been to that menu. Had to use the can key function in it awhile back so I could map my steering wheel controls. The only boot-related thing I could find was boot volume though.
Old 10-11-2023, 10:31 PM
bsquare
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 33 Posts

I threw together a quick and dirty model for 3D printed rails, attached below. I've got an Owtowsin Qualcomm head unit (QCM 6G 128G) with the faceplate for 997.2. It has the 2 spring steel stubby rails on each side, not the foam and no rail setup I saw in photos earlier in the thread. Attach them using M2.5x6 or x8 screws, 4 per rail. If you use these, and especially if you have any fitment issues due to tolerances, please let me know! Link to model on Printables.
The following 4 users liked this post by bsquare:
BruceH (10-12-2023), drawz (10-17-2023), scadams (10-11-2023), ZedZed (10-12-2023)
Old 10-12-2023, 08:18 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by scadams
Found it. There’s a slim silver inlay along the bottom of the fascia with a tiny hole at each end. The hole on the right side is the power reset button. I’d prefer a soft reboot button in the UI but this will suffice in the event it happens again.
Good news. As a caution to others with similar units, be careful not to poke a sharp pin-like object into the OTHER tiny hole, as this is likely to be where the mic lives. The reset hole really should be marked RST or similar, but may not be.
The following users liked this post:
myw (03-22-2024)
Old 10-12-2023, 09:44 AM
scadams
Rennlist Member

Good news. As a caution to others with similar units, be careful not to poke a sharp pin-like object into the OTHER tiny hole, as this is likely to be where the mic lives. The reset hole really should be marked RST or similar, but may not be.
Other hole seems to be purely aesthetic to match the reset hole. There’s no built-in mic of which I’m aware. Just the mini-jack mic you’ve gotta run. Here’s a pic of the reset hole. As you can see, it’s neither marked nor obvious.

myw (03-22-2024)
Old 10-13-2023, 08:04 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

This is an interesting thread. I've got a 987.2 without the bose audio. What's the lastest and greatest head unit to get. I noticed Owtosin seems to recommended but their QCM665 processors models are all out of stock. I also noticed they have a button free unit, is it any decent? I also found one by another 'company' with the 665 processor that are instock but the info about 2 dozen pages back says these aren't as good. Is this still correct.

Help?
Old 10-13-2023, 09:23 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by old man neri
This is an interesting thread. I've got a 987.2 without the bose audio. What's the lastest and greatest head unit to get. I noticed Owtosin seems to recommended but their QCM665 processors models are all out of stock. I also noticed they have a button free unit, is it any decent? I also found one by another 'company' with the 665 processor that are instock but the info about 2 dozen pages back says these aren't as good. Is this still correct.

Help?
There are so many. Browse Ali Express and see the choices. This thread is for a 991, but has lots of suggestions and no doubt some will have units made for your 987 as well. I installed a ZWNAV unit in my Panamera (fabulous) and I am about to install a different unit in my wife's Cayman. Be sure to find one with a decent, reasonably up-to-date processor and the latest version of Android you can find - mine is Android 10 and works great, the one for the Cayman is Android 11. Also, you need an absolute minimum of 4GB of RAM and 64 GB of storage. Better to have more. My unit is 6GB/128 and my wife's is 8GB/128.

Here are links to the units I have.

The Cayman: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...21ef18024ynw2l

The Panamera: https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...1b2f5f21OwEHPM

The link for the Panamera unit is a similar unit. I couldn't find the link to the exact unit. It's no use for your car anyway as it is 12.3 inch wide screen.

I like the look of this one - great OEM look: https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...1b2f5f21OwEHPM

Again, I don;t think they have this unit for your car though. Just search around on Ali Express and Alibaba. They seem to be all made by the same manufacturers and just rebranded by the sellers so check the specs rather than any particular brand name.

Old 10-13-2023, 09:33 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

@old man neri

These seem to be for the 987 series:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...54b0286de2uACh

Old 10-13-2023, 10:25 AM
clearwaterms
Advanced

bubbling this back up to confirm i'm excited to order everything and want to confirm i order all of the right stuff from the china provider so when it arrives i can install it immediately.
i decided to just order the owtosin that @myw recommended along with all of the parts that were recommended. I think i forgot to order the canbus but i don't have steering wheel audio controls so i don't think i'm losing too much. I reached out to the seller to ask if I can swap my camera to the drill through for front and back like myw recommended and also add the canbus to my order. I also got the dual fakra, obdII scanner and the ADS camera. I have an 05 and I decided against the TPMS because I have new wheels and new tires and don't want to risk the wheels getting scratched by the installers when they go to install the TPMS modules. I think I can add it later when I replace the tires on the car. I'm super excited to get it installed and since I live in the north proceed to not use it until spring .
myw (03-22-2024)
Old 10-13-2023, 11:13 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

i decided to just order the owtosin that @myw recommended along with all of the parts that were recommended. I think i forgot to order the canbus but i don't have steering wheel audio controls so i don't think i'm losing too much. I reached out to the seller to ask if I can swap my camera to the drill through for front and back like myw recommended and also add the canbus to my order. I also got the dual fakra, obdII scanner and the ADS camera. I have an 05 and I decided against the TPMS because I have new wheels and new tires and don't want to risk the wheels getting scratched by the installers when they go to install the TPMS modules. I think I can add it later when I replace the tires on the car. I'm super excited to get it installed and since I live in the north proceed to not use it until spring .
You will need the Canbus to retain any controls that are currently in the PCM and not duplicated anywhere else - eg 'Home' light duration, interior light duration, door open/closed, dipping door mirror etc etc. If your car doesn't have these, or they can be controlled by other means, then you probably can get away without the Canbus unit. On my car, all these controls are duplicated in the multi-function display under 'Vehicle Settings', but not all cars have the MFD.
myw (03-22-2024)
Old 10-13-2023, 11:35 AM
clearwaterms
Advanced

You will need the Canbus to retain any controls that are currently in the PCM and not duplicated anywhere else - eg 'Home' light duration, interior light duration, door open/closed, dipping door mirror etc etc. If your car doesn't have these, or they can be controlled by other means, then you probably can get away without the Canbus unit. On my car, all these controls are duplicated in the multi-function display under 'Vehicle Settings', but not all cars have the MFD.
is the MFD the multi-line interface in the tachometer? the thing i use to check my oil level and turn on/off sport chrono (which i have yet to use)

Thanks, i contacted the seller and had them add the canbus adapter.
Old 10-13-2023, 01:15 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

is the MFD the multi-line interface in the tachometer? the thing i use to check my oil level and turn on/off sport chrono (which i have yet to use)

Thanks, i contacted the seller and had them add the canbus adapter.
Yes, that's the one. Good call on adding the Canbus box IMO. Better to have it and not need than to need it and etc etc.
Old 10-13-2023, 09:36 PM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on one of these for my 2005 997 /w Bose. Based on the amazing work that @MattDevoCustoms has done I was going to go with the heregoes unit. I have a few questions I'm hoping everybody can help me with before I pull the trigger.

1. Is this the unit that everybody recommends if you want to take advantage of MattDevo's image/firmware? https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804900229496.html (I'm specifically looking at the one that says 7862 /w 8G ram and 128GB ROM for $421.xx US)
2. is this the correct Fakra adapter? https://www.amazon.com/Antenna-Adapt...s%2C108&sr=1-4
3. which cameras do folks recommend for front and rear camera?
4. Is there anything else besides the Fakra adapter and cameras that are needed to complete the install?
5. which OBD-II adapter to take advantage of the android's ability to do OBD II?

thank you to everybody in advance.
1) yes, provided you have a Bose amp and need the fiber optic output. If not, the "8G 128G Carplay LTE" option for $341 is the same w/o the converter

2) no, you want something with 2 single connectors, not a single dual (eg,
Amazon Amazon
- the powered lead can be used or not)

3) This is the one I use for the rear: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2251832582420301.html. I've not used a front or 360 setup yet to recommend one (though if you want the 360 setup, you need to order that option and use the provided cameras)

4) you should bypass the porsche antenna adapter (pass side console, under edge of carpet) using a dual M-M fakra plug. I've not seen them for sale on Amazon or anywhere else though. Two singles work fine though (2x
Amazon Amazon
)

5) any generic BT adapter should work, after turning on the 2nd (onboard) BT on on the unit. WiFi ones work well too, but cannot be used at same time as Carplay/AA
Old 10-21-2023, 02:54 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,222 Likes on 598 Posts

I have the Owtowsin unit referenced originally and have garaged my 997 and was driving a 992 with PCM 6 for the past several months. Coming back to drive the 997 I have to say this unit doesn't lack in function compared to the PCM 6 and reaction time to triggering the front/rear cams is nearly as fast
myw (03-22-2024)

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!