Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 02:15 PM
rickpriceuk
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I would be amazed if they do.

Somebody can correct the following, but...

As far as I know, the Porsche units relay to a receiver within each wheel arch, which is then wired to the car and tells it the pressures.

The unit you are looking to buy does this through bluetooth to a dedicated unit that attaches via USB to the HU. In my case the valves came pre-configured (which was lucky because I had them fitted before I realised this).

Unless the Porsche ones are bluetooth, in which case you have a chance. If this IS the case, look up how to pair unpaired units before you fit the stereo (YouTube is your friend here) - essentially the receiver has to be close to the pressure monitor in learn mode - so you will need to get a long USB extension cable to be able to hold the receiver next to the wheel as it pairs, before swapping it onto the USB out of the HU and burying it in the dashboard.

I would be surprised if it works, but if it does, you're onto a winner!

Good luck

Richard
The following users liked this post:
ulflun (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 03:21 PM
E30toF30
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ulflun
I have sensors on wheels already, but not in car. Got hold of some Porsche 21" original wheels from a 2013. I guess they should work?
Slightly off topic, but 21" wheels on a 997?
These will NOT work....
20s are as big as anyone should ever go on the 997, and even that is too big (IMHO).

With 21s you will have virtually no sidewall, not to mention, you probably won't find proper tires in the right 997 size.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:47 PM
ulflun
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by E30toF30
Slightly off topic, but 21" wheels on a 997?
These will NOT work....
20s are as big as anyone should ever go on the 997, and even that is too big (IMHO).

With 21s you will have virtually no sidewall, not to mention, you probably won't find proper tires in the right 997 size.
Sorry about this - I have a Cayenne 957 but since I have PCM 2.1 I hijacked the thread. :-)

(I was automatically thrown to this thread after scrolling down from a Android install on a Cayenne-thread).

E30toF30 (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 05:25 PM
E30toF30
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ulflun
Sorry about this - I have a Cayenne 957 but since I have PCM 2.1 I hijacked the thread. :-)

(I was automatically thrown to this thread after scrolling down from a Android install on a Cayenne-thread).
In that case, yes 21" all the way for cayenne!!

Is this the same unit that will fit the cayenne from this Gen too?

Anyway back on topic,

My order is enroute. Looking very forward to receiving mine!! Probably still another week for me.
ulflun (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 06:33 PM
ulflun
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by E30toF30
In that case, yes 21" all the way for cayenne!!

Is this the same unit that will fit the cayenne from this Gen too?

Anyway back on topic,

My order is enroute. Looking very forward to receiving mine!! Probably still another week for me.
As I understand It's generally the same units but different frames to fit the console/panel. However, the seller has a bit better spec/configuration for the 997 for some reason I don't know - 8" IPS 1280x720 with 5 USBs, making it possible to add DAB+, TPMS, LTE/4G, e.g. through, but the unit they sell to Cayenne only have 2 USB ports on 8" 1280x720 IPS head unit. The 9" with lower res (1024x600) has 5 usb ports however. I would like the combination of both (9" IPS 1280x720 + 5x USB ports) with PX6 But I'll settle with the same spec. as you guys on the 997 with 8" 1280x720 IPS and 5x USB as well, if it was available...

Last edited by ulflun; 07-30-2020 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:43 AM
thefunkygibbon
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi all, i'm interested in getting this upgrade, could you please help me out? i've read through most of the replies in this thread but i'm still a little unsure.
Is this all i need? - https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/H65858f8c...0280fe232N.png
I've got a 2010 Gen 2 911 with Bose and sports design wheel (no buttons)

Do i need the CANBUS module thing if i don't have wheel controls? Or do you need them for the volume button to work?
Would a bluetooth volume button thing work just as well as they are a couple of quid off of aliexpress instead of £18

Also where do people wire in the usb ports to? do they hide in the back or easily accessible somewhere? Can you use the usb port in the centre compartment (behind the han
dbrake) etc?

Does the front facing camera (AVAS DVR) act as a decent dashcam too? ie does it store video (can you use an SD card?) does it have parking mode recording when movement felt etc?

How do these work for power consumption? I know Porsches are horrible for battery drain at the best of times , do these make matters worse? Do they turn on from a standby state or boot fresh on each ignition turn on?

Can you put a Porsche logo on it?

Does it come with enough cable to wire in the rear camera?

Can you connect to the cars existing GPS/FM aerials?

Do you need a DAB aerial if you buy the DAB radio thing? or does it come with it? (i'm UK so can use it)

thanks in advance, I will probably have more questions before I buy, so i apologise up front for that ;-)

Old 08-03-2020, 02:53 AM
bleedingedge
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Most of the answers in fact are in this thread. To sum up:
You don't need the CAN module without MF steering. Bluetooth or the retrofit control buttons (KEY1 or KEY2 wire) will work.
USB Wiring can be routed e.g. into the CD Box in glove box. Not seen any issue with power consumption, the device uses 40mA in sleep mode.
When the device boots up, there is a Porsche Logo comingup. You can also install different launchers which allow for background images.
Camera comes with cables long enough.
OEM GPS aerial does not work, FM does, but you loose diversity (if you had a PCM before, with a CDR there was no diversity anyways).
Yes, you need a DAB aerial, a windscreen antenna comes with it (arrow). I don't like them as all windscreen aerials look ugly.
In terms of ADAS cam recording, I think it is a yes (Arrow), in the software you can select to store the video on the HU's memory drive. But simply ask Bob via Ali chat, he is very responsive.

By the way, I am selling a new OWTOSIN unit with screen protectors still on it. I used it as spare unit, but sold my 997 in favour of a 991 Turbo.
My unit is:Android 9

PX6 CPU

4 GB RAM/64GB memory

CAN module

MOST module (for BOSE)

GPS aerial

Micro

5x USB Port

WLAN

Wireless/Wired Apple Car Play and wired Android Auto

Digitaler Signal Processor

upgrade to IPS panel instead of TN

Bluetooth 5.0
I am inside EU. Pictures here: https://www.pff.de/market/entry/9883...m-2-1-und-3-0/

Last edited by bleedingedge; 08-03-2020 at 03:12 AM.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:21 AM
thefunkygibbon
Advanced

Originally Posted by bleedingedge
You don't need the CAN module without MF steering. Bluetooth or the retrofit control buttons (KEY1 or KEY2 wire) will work.
USB Wiring can be routed e.g. into the CD Box in glove box. Not seen any issue with power consumption, the device uses 40mA in sleep mode.
When the device boots up, there is a Porsche Logo comingup. You can also install different launchers which allow for background images.
Camera comes with cables long enough.
OEM GPS aerial does not work, FM does, but you loose diversity (if you had a PCM before, with a CDR there was no diversity anyways).
Yes, you need a DAB aerial, a windscreen antenna comes with it (arrow). I don't like them as all windscreen aerials look ugly.
In terms of ADAS cam recording, I think it is a yes (Arrow), in the software you can select to store the video on the HU's memory drive. But simply ask Bob via Ali chat, he is very responsive.

By the way, I am selling a new OWTOSIN unit with screen protectors still on it. I used it as spare unit, but sold my 997 in favour of a 991 Turbo.
My unit is:Android 9

PX6 CPU

4 GB RAM/64GB memory

CAN module

MOST module (for BOSE)

GPS aerial

Micro

5x USB Port

WLAN

Wireless/Wired Apple Car Play and wired Android Auto

Digitaler Signal Processor

upgrade to IPS panel instead of TN

Bluetooth 5.0
I am inside EU. Pictures here: https://www.pff.de/market/entry/9883...m-2-1-und-3-0/

thanks chap. much appreciated
How much are you selling for, that's nearly the same as when I was about to order just without the rear camera , dab and the volume button. So I assume I must be able to acquire them elsewhere?
Is there any functional difference between a BT button and one that is wired in? Ie does one adjust volume in software and one change volume on a hardware level?

Old 08-03-2020, 03:26 AM
bleedingedge
Advanced

You can get the other devices in your local market, faster shipping and no customs or import taxes. AFAIK there is no real difference between BT and the wired remote control. The BT connects directly to the HU whereas the wired one connects via BT to a small box, which then translates the signal to a wired one via KEY1 or 2.
If you go down the route of buying a wired RC locally, just keep in mind that the OWTOSIN OEM harness does not come with cables crimped to KEY1/2 contacts. If you buy their RC they provide extra wires for this. However you can always uncrimp two contacts from the ISO/Qualdlock harness (you only need one of them, depending on PCM21. or3) and use those.

You can still get the relatively cheap addons from OWTOSIN China with small values avoiding or limiting tax, if you prefer.

With regards to selling price, just PM me.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:44 AM
thefunkygibbon
Advanced

Cant seem to pm you for some reason.. not got permission. Dont know if you can message me or not. Email me if easier
to avoid email harvesters >
car attt 《myusername》 dotnet
Old 08-03-2020, 04:53 AM
AndyJ
5th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thefunkygibbon
Hi all, i'm interested in getting this upgrade, could you please help me out? i've read through most of the replies in this thread but i'm still a little unsure.
Just to make things confusing I'm going to contradict a few of the points above. This is based on my Xtrons unit similar to this one, so not quite the same hardware. I think my car has a very similar spec to yours.

You don't need the CAN module without MF steering.
The CAN module makes everything plug-and play, so no need to find a switched-live or lights-on signal. My unit came with one and everything worked perfectly straight out of the box. If you want to be able to swap your PCM back in to sell the car or get your warranty renewed then plug-and-play can be an advantage. Having said that my unit came with the CANBUS unit so I never tried to install without one - maybe it's just as easy.

Bluetooth or the retrofit control buttons (KEY1 or KEY2 wire) will work.
Bluetooth controls did NOT work for me. I tried several. Maybe because mine is an olde Android 8 unit? The KEY1/KEY2 control unit worked perfectly for me and response from the unit is near instantaneous.

OEM GPS aerial does not work,
The car's existing GPS arial DOES work for my Xtrons unit.

I agree with all the other points though. In particular I've had no issues with power consumption.

Old 08-03-2020, 06:12 AM
AitchUK
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rickpriceuk
Learning points for this unit:

1. in the factory settings (CAR - FACTORY SETTINGS - PIN 126) you will find a ‘turn off’ function - refers to when the unit turns off after key removal. Mine was set to ‘automatic’ and was not turning the unit off. Boot time was instant but when I didn’t drive the car for a week the battery was almost dead. So mine now says ‘30 seconds’ and I get a proper shut down. It means boot is maybe 10-15 seconds but I do get the nice Porsche logo.

Rich
Mine was also set to auto and saw an overnight voltage drop from ~12.5v - 11.5v

Thankfully I found the above comment.

Old 08-03-2020, 06:15 AM
thefunkygibbon
Advanced

interesting, thanks. so is it really just a 15 second bootup? i can accept that sort of boot time, but if its 30-60 seconds it might be a bit annoying.
what other options are there for that setting before it goes from on to turning off after key removal?
Old 08-03-2020, 07:20 AM
bleedingedge
Advanced

Your are 100% right on the CAN bus, fully agreed. I missed that point about getting the ignition signal.
For the GPS antenna you need at minimum an adaptor (OEM Fakra ->China HU SMA) however cannot confirm it works as I used the chinese GPS antenna which worked perfect.

Last edited by bleedingedge; 08-03-2020 at 07:26 AM.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:22 AM
bleedingedge
Advanced

Originally Posted by thefunkygibbon
interesting, thanks. so is it really just a 15 second bootup? i can accept that sort of boot time, but if its 30-60 seconds it might be a bit annoying.
what other options are there for that setting before it goes from on to turning off after key removal?
15 seconds even is a cold boot (After complete power shut off, e.g. battery disconnected). With a warm start it takes 2-3 seconds (When you insert the key).
In normal operations it does not differ from the normal PCM start times at all.

You can still set the delay to go to sleep after key removal, etc

My car had been unused for two weeks and still had no issue starting with the HU only in standby. When your car's battery is fine this should be no isse (4mA draw in sleep mode - after which it takes 2-3 seconds to be alive)
The following 2 users liked this post by bleedingedge:
AitchUK (08-03-2020), thefunkygibbon (08-03-2020)

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!