Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 05:30 PM
rickpriceuk
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes the HU will connect to my phone and have the internet.

Yes you can have YouTube etc. YouTube is pre-loaded, in fact.

I have not tried to get the HU to use my phone for live traffic but will try at some stage. Its probably easier to use CarPlay to be honest.

Rich
Old 07-06-2020, 06:02 PM
morgs997uk
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by myw
which country are u located in? EU?
Hi
Yes​​​​​​I am in the UK
cheers Morgan
Old 07-06-2020, 06:24 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 571 Likes on 340 Posts

when u say fm gps , i am guessing this is different then the DAB+ correct? or the same thing

Originally Posted by morgs997uk
Hi
Yes​​​​​​I am in the UK
cheers Morgan
Old 07-06-2020, 06:43 PM
AitchUK
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rickpriceuk
An update:

I have been running with this for a couple of months now and it works perfectly for what I need it. I now have it painted so it looks like this:

Rich
Care to expand on the colour selection and technique to achieve your very nice looking finish?

Old 07-07-2020, 04:58 AM
sgtm7
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

An update:

Only downside is that the Head Unit itself, whilst having any map App available for Android, does not have an internet connection (or if it does I haven't found it). As such I cannot do live traffic updates through the Head Unit, although I can through the CarPlay - which has a selection of map Apps (controlled by Apple but includes Apple Maps, Google Maps and Waze, I think). Personally I don't use the maps often in any event and am happy to use my phone when I do.

There are strictly defined apps that appear on CarPlay so don't assume that everything is there - far from it, and if a particular app is important to you I would suggest you look up the latest list of 'recognised' apps.

Cheers

Rich
All Android head units have wifi. Turn on tethering on your phone, then connect to your phone's internet connection from the head unit, at the wifi connection settings. You get to the wifi settings through the wifi settings menu, the same way you would with your phone. I don't know what unit you have, but many of them are set up with a slot for a sim card. Then you could get your data from that sim card's data connection. My head unit has the slot for a sim card, but I just tether off of the connection on my phone. Makes more sense to me, than maintaining a separate sim card, just to use for a data connection in the car.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:20 AM
scadams
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
i will get to the install for this specific owTowsin 2020 unit shortly - and will do my best to compile and organize all the information here + create a separate thread to make a definitive installation guide.
This would be most appreciated. I’m tempted to go this route but I’d prefer to be able to go thru a checklist knowing accessory compatibility is verified and not having to spend a day figuring out the wiring for everything. I’d rather just follow a guide knowing I can trust the outcome.
Old 07-07-2020, 01:06 PM
AitchUK
Advanced

Originally Posted by scadams
This would be most appreciated. I’m tempted to go this route but I’d prefer to be able to go thru a checklist knowing accessory compatibility is verified and not having to spend a day figuring out the wiring for everything. I’d rather just follow a guide knowing I can trust the outcome.
+1 please
Old 07-07-2020, 01:14 PM
rickpriceuk
Advanced

Originally Posted by AitchUK
Care to expand on the colour selection and technique to achieve your very nice looking finish?
I took the unit out and taped it up carefully. No surface prep other than a wipe down.

2 gentle coats of rattle can paint (Nissan metallic grey KR2) followed by about 3 coats of Matt clear coat on top. Take your time - Really shake the rattle cans to mix the paint; the base grey will be covered so this only needs a good even covering, not loads of layers.

Do NOT let the clear coat run. Put it on slowly and steadily and don’t forget you can cover minor imperfections with the next layer. The more layers the more resistant.

Took about 10 minutes to remove the unit and then about 5 minutes between each layer. I actually did it whilst working from home - nipping out to the garage for 2 mins to spray and then leaving for 15 mins. I started at about 9 and had it all back in before I left the house at 12.30.

I also did the panel by the coin ‘cubby’ as you can see in the pic, and the door handles in the same effect. The latter look really good (IMHO).

The following 3 users liked this post by rickpriceuk:
AitchUK (07-08-2020), LeoE (01-30-2021), myw (07-26-2021)
Old 07-08-2020, 12:21 PM
AitchUK
Advanced

Today I received the DAB aerial from bleedingedge. Thank you .

I also received an email from the German vendor of the aerial https://www.arsshop.de/wohnmobilante...it-verstaerker agreeing to ship to the UK.

If anyone else in UK wants a concealed DAB aerial, message them and wait. It took almost two weeks for this reply to come through.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:35 AM
bleedingedge
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes the HU will connect to my phone and have the internet.

Yes you can have YouTube etc. YouTube is pre-loaded, in fact.

I have not tried to get the HU to use my phone for live traffic but will try at some stage. Its probably easier to use CarPlay to be honest.

Rich
Run one of the USB cables trough the firewall near the battery and attach a 4G modem with a SIM card to it. The radio unit can either Wifi tether or use the 4G dongle as USB connected network adapter. The HU then is always connected whilst maintaining your phones connecivity.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:05 PM
AitchUK
Advanced

This may help future installers with the problem of poor fit of the PX6 into the aperture left by the PMC 2.1

Comparing the two units

Size difference side by side shows where the rear support of the PCM (the raised, rounded, rectangular piece) is compared to the PX6 (raised, shaped strip)

This shows the guide and support channels in the aperture for the PCM2.1 the grey channel to the rear is the final locating point and supports the rear of the PCM. The PX6 rear supports end in the plain area before the grey channel and so allows the back of the unit to drop under its own weight.

So I had a couple of aluminium pieces made to extend into the grooves and support the unit. These are held in place using the M2.5 c/sunk screws and replace the bent brackets. Dimensions are 8mm wide x 5 mm deep x 70mm long. The centre of the first fixing hole is positioned 5mm from the front edge. The second hole centre is 30mm from the first hole centre. The holes are 2.5mm through then countersink is taken to within 0.5mm of the bottom far enough to allow each screw to protrude say 4mm

The ali extenders hold the PX6 firmly in the guide slots and allow setting up and testing without having the unit trying to fall out and cause damage.

This is the PX6 pushed fully home and held by only the ali extenders. It fits so snug, it doesn't really need any other fixing. Ignore the allen screw, it's doing nothing.

The following 5 users liked this post by AitchUK:
bleedingedge (07-17-2020), irnnr (07-16-2020), moxie (SF) (09-08-2023), myw (07-26-2021), PV997 (07-17-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 04:09 PM
dLat
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

@rich that colour match is beautiful.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:47 PM
rickpriceuk
Advanced

Originally Posted by dLat
@rich that colour match is beautiful.
It is but I found the colour code on Rennlist so cannot take the credit:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...up-option.html

IMO because the fascia is not simply a square piece covering a screen, but has better shape and design to it, I think it looks definitely stock.

Just 14 years late in the manufacturing process.

I have also painted my handles and the front of the cubby hole grey. Looks like it was painted in the factory.

Just trying to pluck up the courage to do the centre console…

Old 07-16-2020, 04:54 PM
Muuhaha
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I fixed all my previous issues except the alternator whine. It ONLY happens during use of the FM radio, not when I use Bluetooth, Spotify, etc - - any leads on what this could be? Thanks!
Old 07-18-2020, 12:24 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 571 Likes on 340 Posts

brilliant work

thank you

Originally Posted by AitchUK
This may help future installers with the problem of poor fit of the PX6 into the aperture left by the PMC 2.1

Comparing the two units

Size difference side by side shows where the rear support of the PCM (the raised, rounded, rectangular piece) is compared to the PX6 (raised, shaped strip)

This shows the guide and support channels in the aperture for the PCM2.1 the grey channel to the rear is the final locating point and supports the rear of the PCM. The PX6 rear supports end in the plain area before the grey channel and so allows the back of the unit to drop under its own weight.

So I had a couple of aluminium pieces made to extend into the grooves and support the unit. These are held in place using the M2.5 c/sunk screws and replace the bent brackets. Dimensions are 8mm wide x 5 mm deep x 70mm long. The centre of the first fixing hole is positioned 5mm from the front edge. The second hole centre is 30mm from the first hole centre. The holes are 2.5mm through then countersink is taken to within 0.5mm of the bottom far enough to allow each screw to protrude say 4mm

The ali extenders hold the PX6 firmly in the guide slots and allow setting up and testing without having the unit trying to fall out and cause damage.

This is the PX6 pushed fully home and held by only the ali extenders. It fits so snug, it doesn't really need any other fixing. Ignore the allen screw, it's doing nothing.

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!