Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2023, 12:56 AM
vtec_
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 93 Posts

@2fcknfst are those boyesen / X50 exhaust tips?
Old 11-09-2023, 05:44 AM
szeater
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Snagged my 996TT back in August last year, and have gotten around to a few things. So more of what I've done over the last year rather than today, but still:

The day that I picked up the beast. Had to fly interstate and travel some 800kms (500 miles) to get it back home, but what an impression it left!

First thing I got around to was installing the PCCM+. It's been done to death, so I'll spare the details, but it has made the car much more usable for long trips. No more fumbling for maps on my phone, and it shows that the Bose sound system these came with is actually pretty good. I need to take some photos, but I have also made a hidden wireless charger for the cubby underneath as well using an AliExpress charging kit and some very average fabrication on my part!

This is much more recent, I had Aircups installed on the car. As the name implies, its a cup that goes on top of my coilovers, and gives me around 40mm of lift at the front axle from the push of a button (shown below). My car isn't particularly low, but the distance from the front axle to the lip was causing all sorts of issues on driveways and even some ramps going into parking complexes.

Here's the button I wired up for the Aircups. Works as you'd expect, push the light/sun and the system activates and you get your lift, and the button is illuminated. Push the LED, and the cups deflate and you're on your way. I am planning on respraying this button to have a suspension symbol similar to the 997 buttons to make it fit in nicely. I also have plans for that other blank...

This one might seem trivial, but the car came with a C4S lip which had been chewed to hell and back. I didn't want to install the Turbo lip until I could guarantee no more scraping, so once the Aircups went in, this went on!

Finally, the previous owner had plastidipped the intercooler ducts, and whilst it looked ok, the more I looked at the car, the more I thought that the ducts were simply too big for that kind of detail. So off came the plastidip.

Curious to hear people's thoughts on going back to original looking intercooler ducting.

In terms of next steps:
  • One of my wheels got rashed on a pothole, so it needs touching up. Thinking about going to OEM wheel colour, but curious to hear people's thoughts.
  • That Aircup button needs to be updated
  • Need to finish the other blank button project
  • Need to fix my rear wing hydraulics. No errors yet, but it doesn't open fully on both sides ever so slightly
After that I might try to chase some power. The car has a Kline exhaust with the 200 cell cats, uprated boost diverters and a UMW tune, dyno chart is below:

The following 2 users liked this post by szeater:
jpflip (11-09-2023), kamlung (11-09-2023)
Old 11-09-2023, 07:36 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,084 Likes on 3,096 Posts

Originally Posted by vtec_
@2fcknfst are those boyesen / X50 exhaust tips?
No, they are Kline tips.

Cheers,
Old 11-09-2023, 11:13 AM
QwikKotaTX
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 118 Posts

Very cool with the onboard compressor and aircups. Do you have a picture of the front suspension lifted?
Old 11-09-2023, 12:18 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by szeater
Snagged my 996TT back in August last year, and have gotten around to a few things. So more of what I've done over the last year rather than today, but still:

The day that I picked up the beast. Had to fly interstate and travel some 800kms (500 miles) to get it back home, but what an impression it left!

First thing I got around to was installing the PCCM+. It's been done to death, so I'll spare the details, but it has made the car much more usable for long trips. No more fumbling for maps on my phone, and it shows that the Bose sound system these came with is actually pretty good. I need to take some photos, but I have also made a hidden wireless charger for the cubby underneath as well using an AliExpress charging kit and some very average fabrication on my part!

This is much more recent, I had Aircups installed on the car. As the name implies, its a cup that goes on top of my coilovers, and gives me around 40mm of lift at the front axle from the push of a button (shown below). My car isn't particularly low, but the distance from the front axle to the lip was causing all sorts of issues on driveways and even some ramps going into parking complexes.

Here's the button I wired up for the Aircups. Works as you'd expect, push the light/sun and the system activates and you get your lift, and the button is illuminated. Push the LED, and the cups deflate and you're on your way. I am planning on respraying this button to have a suspension symbol similar to the 997 buttons to make it fit in nicely. I also have plans for that other blank...

This one might seem trivial, but the car came with a C4S lip which had been chewed to hell and back. I didn't want to install the Turbo lip until I could guarantee no more scraping, so once the Aircups went in, this went on!

Finally, the previous owner had plastidipped the intercooler ducts, and whilst it looked ok, the more I looked at the car, the more I thought that the ducts were simply too big for that kind of detail. So off came the plastidip.

Curious to hear people's thoughts on going back to original looking intercooler ducting.

In terms of next steps:
  • One of my wheels got rashed on a pothole, so it needs touching up. Thinking about going to OEM wheel colour, but curious to hear people's thoughts.
  • That Aircup button needs to be updated
  • Need to finish the other blank button project
  • Need to fix my rear wing hydraulics. No errors yet, but it doesn't open fully on both sides ever so slightly
After that I might try to chase some power. The car has a Kline exhaust with the 200 cell cats, uprated boost diverters and a UMW tune, dyno chart is below:
I like the color of the wheels, it's a nice contrast to the rest of the car.

You could look at Rennkit as a fix for the rear wing, I have one, it works flawlessly.

That's some good power - however, it'd be nice to see the AFR graph too, there may be more.

Cheers,
The following 2 users liked this post by 2fcknfst:
RennKit-Dave (11-09-2023), WhoDat996tt (11-11-2023)
Old 11-09-2023, 05:28 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,832 Likes on 1,166 Posts

Not exactly today, last Friday was my last track day for the year. It was a spectacular day at Lime Rock. Perhaps if I had not needed to pass that Lotus I could have shaved another 0.7 seconds off and gotten into the 1:01's? Nah, probably not, even though the lap timer showed that I lost all the time while behind him. I did drop my average times by almost 2 seconds this year, which is huge in a 62 second lap.
I am always amazed that my 23 year old car can hang with the best that's out there, even with my mediocre driving skills.

The following 3 users liked this post by theprf:
17ram2500 (12-11-2023), Carlo_Carrera (11-09-2023), vtec_ (11-11-2023)
Old 11-09-2023, 05:29 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

That's awesome, congrats!
Old 11-09-2023, 10:13 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by szeater

where bouts in NSW are you? my in laws are down under and i usually visit annually. I've never met a fellow rennlister whilst down there since i'm usually drooling over the Utes and Holdens we can't get stateside...

I have the exact same aircup system in mine... are you spacing out your front wheel to clear the cup? i'm not running factory twists on mine...
Old 11-11-2023, 04:00 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 349 Posts

After some thought I decided to buy the Numeric short shifter and cables from the same local guy I bought my MCS coilovers from. Another local friend has this setup and I really liked the way it felt. Almost felt like a gated shifter. It was a fair price, no shipping, no waiting. They have the motorsport ends on them, so no plastic bushings and also no silicone isolation sleeves. He did mention they make a little gear noise, Numeric mentioned the same. I figure I'll just install them and see, if I think they're too noisy I'll call Numeric and order the street rod ends/plastic bushings/isolation sleeves.

So I guess I've got one more thing to install and play with this off season. I'm thinking the length adjustment should be basically bang on though, as they came out of the same car as mine...

The following users liked this post:
WhoDat996tt (11-11-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 04:55 PM
WhoDat996tt
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

@docwyte hypothetically, if you had to set the length - would best course of action be to measure your old/stock/whatever cables came out and set to the same length or...?
Old 11-11-2023, 06:17 PM
vtec_
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 93 Posts

attempted to fix my spoiler light by shorting the lower microswitch wires together but it just kept the light on right from the get go , the car is a 2003 so i suspect i will have to use the other method further up on the wiring harness connector
Old 11-11-2023, 07:05 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by docwyte
After some thought I decided to buy the Numeric short shifter and cables from the same local guy I bought my MCS coilovers from. Another local friend has this setup and I really liked the way it felt. Almost felt like a gated shifter. It was a fair price, no shipping, no waiting. They have the motorsport ends on them, so no plastic bushings and also no silicone isolation sleeves. He did mention they make a little gear noise, Numeric mentioned the same. I figure I'll just install them and see, if I think they're too noisy I'll call Numeric and order the street rod ends/plastic bushings/isolation sleeves.

So I guess I've got one more thing to install and play with this off season. I'm thinking the length adjustment should be basically bang on though, as they came out of the same car as mine...

They are noisy, but with the silicone sleeves, totally acceptable.

Sleeves make all the difference.
Old 11-11-2023, 07:08 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Ran into a buddy who picked up a T... It's very neat, the gearbox is excellent, apparently a GT4 shifter, and, it sounds better than the TTS.

Go figure.

That being said, the soobie walked away from him....

Old 11-11-2023, 08:55 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 90 Posts

Love the T. Deleting the model designation but keeping the Porsche script is how I'd spec mine, too.
Old 11-12-2023, 01:07 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yes, I told him to keep the Porsche script, looks good.

I'm hoping to give it a good wringing once he has a tune in it. Sam, to the rescue....

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?