996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2023 | 10:46 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Yeah, but then it doesn't mount to the rear shock towers. It mounts to the rear seat belt points, so now the entire "roll bar" is held in by 4 bolts in shear. The BBi one is the only bar that works with Bose and still attaches to the rear shock towers, so there's only 2 bolts in shear. Which still is far less than optimal. The club sport bar John has is really the safest option, by a long shot, but I believe requires you to weld mounting plates to the floor of the car for the mount hoop to mount to.
Old 11-30-2023 | 10:53 AM
LinwoodM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by docwyte
Yeah, but then it doesn't mount to the rear shock towers. It mounts to the rear seat belt points, so now the entire "roll bar" is held in by 4 bolts in shear. The BBi one is the only bar that works with Bose and still attaches to the rear shock towers, so there's only 2 bolts in shear. Which still is far less than optimal. The club sport bar John has is really the safest option, by a long shot, but I believe requires you to weld mounting plates to the floor of the car for the mount hoop to mount to.
From Titan’s site:

The rear portion of the cage is joined to the main hoop utilizing specifically designed interlocking clevises allowing easier installation and shipment. The standard bar features integrated strut tower mounts and cup car style gussets in the X-brace, providing additional support and improved aesthetics.”

https://titanmotorsports.com/collect...97-harness-bar

I digress, for the subwoofer mount, it is indeed on the rear belts…

Originally Posted by titannero
Here are pictures of the Titan Motorsports Bolt in Rollbar for the Bose system

​​​​​​​

Last edited by LinwoodM; 11-30-2023 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-30-2023 | 12:04 PM
LinwoodM
Rennlist Member

I just confirmed that the one that mounts to the strut bar CAN work with a subwoofer, it will just take some mild modification and is not a straight bolt on solution.
Old 11-30-2023 | 12:06 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

What sort of modifications are needed?
Old 11-30-2023 | 12:07 PM
LinwoodM
Rennlist Member

What sort of modifications are needed?
Similar to these ones for the BBi one...

Originally Posted by Full Boost
Steve,

Answers to your questions - although mine is a BBi bar - they remain the same as they both mount to the same place (the rear strut towers)

1 - Yes seats must be removed for install - but also they wont close (the backrest) when the bar is in.
2 - I have both - and wanted to keep both. Its doable.

There is some trimming to some brackets that hold the electrical equipment (on both sides) and also to the foam and carpet.
It is somewhat fiddly to get it all back together - but take your time -and its all doable.

Pics below.

Simon

​​​​​​​
Old 11-30-2023 | 12:12 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Can't tell what was trimmed in those pics. Didn't know you couldn't run the back seats, BBi doesn't mention that on their site...
Old 11-30-2023 | 12:13 PM
LinwoodM
Rennlist Member

Can't tell what was trimmed in those pics. Didn't know you couldn't run the back seats, BBi doesn't mention that on their site...
This was in a 997. However, I would imagine the 996 is nearly identical.
Old 11-30-2023 | 01:25 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Funny how in the first set of pics, they mounted the bar and left the seat backs in...
Old 11-30-2023 | 01:46 PM
LinwoodM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Funny how in the first set of pics, they mounted the bar and left the seat backs in...
The second set would not allow the seatback to be installed and ‘clipped’ in at the top.
Old 11-30-2023 | 01:56 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LinwoodM
I probably would have, had I known it was available. All the second hand ones I have seen are too expensive once you add shipping costs. You should make a list of everything you have that you are willing to let go and post it. I imagine you don’t want to because selling a lot of things is annoying and frustrating.
I have a basement full of parts and it's just time consuming to post them up. I do it every once in a while when I get a chance. Here is the OEM IVM Clubsport 997GT3 bar. This is unquestionably the best bolt in half "roll" bar you can put in these cars. The main hoop bolts to steel "weld or bond in" plates in the floor and the rear section bolts proper to the rear strut towers. The front plates can be either welded to the floor board or panel bonded using 3M automotive adhesive. They simply function to strengthen the floor which is very thin otherwise. The actual mounting plates with the studs which bolt to the roll bar legs are installed from underneath the vehicle with the floor board and the steel doublers "sandwiched" in between. You can see the motorsport doublers and the mounting plates in the picture below. This is the only way you can get any meaningful rollover protection and increased chassis rigidity. Any roll bar which bolts to the existing seatbelt bolt receivers is utterly useless from a safety perspective and a waste of money. These type of bars are nothing more than harness bars made to look like a roll bar. This 997 Clubsport bar also incorporates the later FIA mandate of the shoulder harnesses attaching to the rear section of the bar thereby increasing the length of the shoulder straps thus giving more "give" in a frontal impact reducing stress on the upper torso/neck. All the 997 and later Motorsport bars conform to this. I would personally insist on this and not use a roll bar that uses to main hoop as a shoulder harness attachment point.

The bar below is finished in matte black and in perfect condition. It is probably the lightest legitimate roll bar out there weighing only 39.4 lbs. These are NLA. I used to have the matching front section also but sold that last year. $5500 would make me think about selling this although I keep going back and forth.

Last edited by powdrhound; 11-30-2023 at 02:00 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by powdrhound:
17ram2500 (12-11-2023), LinwoodM (11-30-2023)
Old 11-30-2023 | 02:03 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

As per normal, very pretty John.
Old 11-30-2023 | 02:04 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The second set would not allow the seatback to be installed and ‘clipped’ in at the top.
I was thinking about how you got them out afterwards...
Old 11-30-2023 | 02:12 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

From Titan’s site:

The rear portion of the cage is joined to the main hoop utilizing specifically designed interlocking clevises allowing easier installation and shipment. The standard bar features integrated strut tower mounts and cup car style gussets in the X-brace, providing additional support and improved aesthetics.”

https://titanmotorsports.com/collect...97-harness-bar

I digress, for the subwoofer mount, it is indeed on the rear belts…

I don't wanna be the bearer of bad news, but this is rather poor design. You have a total of 4 bolts securing this contraption. It's useless from a rollover standpoint and a waste of money. You would be better off with a Brey Krause harness bar honestly or a simple OEM tequipment harness "roll" bar which is very lightweight at 27 lbs.

The red BBI bar posted above is also a poor design as it uses a 3 section main hoop design with connections near an angled section at the base as can be seen in one of the pictures. This is horrible from a strength perspective. The main hoop needs to be a continuous single tube design for proper strength. The BBI does mount the shoulder harnesses aft which is a plus.

Besides the OEM Clubsport bar, the best option is the 996/997 Cantrell Motorsport bar and the only other bolt in bar I would consider. It bolts to the floor and rear strut towers similarly to the OEM Clubsport bar. The downside is it's going to be heavier and the shoulder straps mount to the main hoop as it's an old design. From a rollover safety perspective, It's at the best aftermarket option I'm aware of.

https://cantrellmotorsport.com/produ...-powdercoated/

https://cantrellmotorsport.com/wp-co...ar-install.doc

Last edited by powdrhound; 11-30-2023 at 02:35 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by powdrhound:
LinwoodM (11-30-2023), vtec_ (11-30-2023)
Old 11-30-2023 | 02:23 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Here are some pics of the 997Clubsport bar install which would apply to other bars as well for the most part...

Old 11-30-2023 | 02:37 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

So if you panel bond those plates to the floor, when you attach the lower sandwich plate you need to drill through the floor to allow the studs to come up through?

I totally agree with you about the "rollbars", anything using the seat belt mounts simply isn't safe enough to provide any meaningful roll over protection. Best case two bolts in shear, but on the main hoop, worst case 4 bolts in shear. The Porsche Teq bar is the same but far lighter and has some OEM+ cred.

This is why I've got a Brey Krause "spider man" harness bar sitting in my basement. It's going to provide just as much function and protection as the "rollbars", while weighing almost nothing and will be much more easily/quickly installed/removed.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?