Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 12:26 AM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 259 Likes on 211 Posts

a famous old blues man once admonished.

"if you got something nice, keep it in your pocket". a famous young blues man recently said "don't front".

either seems to be sage advice during this time.
Old 06-17-2020, 12:31 AM
pancing
Drifting

Received 246 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by k9turbo

"if you got something nice, keep it in your pocket". a famous young blues man recently said "don't front".

Flexin hard makes you a big target.
Old 06-17-2020, 12:42 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

I think it depends on where you are. In most U.S.cities I have worn my Omega Speedmaster when I'm out and about; however, I never took that watch with me when I went to cities south of Miami (Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires, Santiago, Lima, Mexico City.) I'm certainly not concerned about wearing the Omega when I'm in Blue Ridge, Georgia.

Last edited by Dock; 06-17-2020 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-17-2020, 12:46 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,994 Likes on 3,037 Posts

I just looked at mine, longingly...
Old 06-17-2020, 12:51 AM
pancing
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dock
I think it depends on where you are. In most U.S.cities I have worn my Omega Speedmaster when I'm out and about; however, I never took that watch with me when went to cities south of Miami (Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires, Santiago, Lima, Mexico City.) I'm certainly not concerned about wearing the Omega when I'm in Blue Ridge, Georgia.
Dude... Theres a small amount of people that know what omega is. Its not like a huuuuge name like rolex where everylne knows what a rolex is.

i wish i could justify spending money on a nice watch as i really love mechanicals.
Old 06-17-2020, 12:58 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,796 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Rolex GMT stays at home and a random Seiko Prospex goes on the wrist for any out of country travels... Or for that matter any in country travel hat will involve the watch leaving my wrist!

I actually love my Seiko's... The ultimate tool watch. Great looking, rock-solid, highly-accurate, bespoke automatic movement, and super reasonably priced.

The following 2 users liked this post by pfbz:
Dingo (06-18-2020), manimal (06-17-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 01:00 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pancing
Theres a small amount of people that know what omega is. Its not like a huuuuge name like rolex where everylne knows what a rolex is.
A friend of mine had his Omega ripped off his wrist while walking on a downtown sidewalk in Buenos Aires. He had to have stitches from the laceration the watch band caused as the watch was ripped off his arm. The perp was driven up on a Moped next to my friend. After he stole the watch he jumped back on the Moped and his cohort drove them away. Our company advised us to leave our nice stuff at home when traveling to the cities I mentioned, but he didn't listen.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:08 AM
pancing
Drifting

A friend of mine had his Omega ripped off his wrist while walking on a downtown sidewalk in Buenos Aires. He had to have stitches from the laceration the watch band caused as the watch was ripped off his arm. The perp was driven up on a Moped next to my friend. After he stole the watch he jumped back on the Moped and his cohort drove them away. Our company advised us to leave our nice stuff at home when traveling to the cities I mentioned, but he didn't listen.
Your friend was targetted because he looked like a tourist or a businessman that watch could have been an el cheapo invicta and they would still have taken it.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:10 AM
pancing
Drifting

Originally Posted by pfbz
Rolex GMT stays at home and a random Seiko Prospex goes on the wrist for any out of country travels... Or for that matter any in country travel hat will involve the watch leaving my wrist!

I actually love my Seiko's... The ultimate tool watch. Great looking, rock-solid, highly-accurate, bespoke automatic movement, and super reasonably priced.

These are my 2 favorite watches!
Old 06-17-2020, 01:12 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pancing
Your friend was targetted because he looked like a tourist or a businessman that watch could have been an el cheapo invicta and they would still have taken it.
He blended right in.

The guys stealing watches know what to look for in hardware.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:13 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,796 Likes on 1,498 Posts

For Turbo 1, I have the seats out and gave them a full leatherique treatment. Came out pretty nice, cleaned them up quite a bit and leaves a nice matte finish on the seats.

Before:

After:

Old 06-17-2020, 01:19 AM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 259 Likes on 211 Posts

I think it depends on where you are. In most U.S.cities I have worn my Omega Speedmaster when I'm out and about; however, I never took that watch with me when I went to cities south of Miami (Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires, Santiago, Lima, Mexico City.) I'm certainly not concerned about wearing the Omega when I'm in Blue Ridge, Georgia.
i read your reply and broke into a chorus of sinatra's "come fly with me". was great! thanks.

i have a couple of watches but never really wear them as i pretty much know what time it is.

but one of them does remind me of alec baldwin's character in that scene in glen garry glen ross:

BLAKE (removing his watch):
You see this watch? You see this watch?

MOSS: Yeah.

BLAKE (still to Moss, as he sets the watch down on Moss’s desk): That watch cost more than your car. I made $970,000 last year. How much you make? You see, pal, that’s who I am."

back off topic.

I drove the car to search for fresh tree dropped avocados which is usually no more than a mile drive. but today i had to forage so i also picked up fresh lettuce.
The following users liked this post:
Dock (06-17-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 01:48 AM
sdematt
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 279 Posts

I just bought Leatherique, which in Canada, is a bit more difficult because there's only one guy who imports it from the US (and with the border being closed, oh boy). Used it twice on my Sports Seats - so far, I'm a big fan. Really brought back a bit more of the softness. I'll probably use it twice more before moving into a 4x/year regimen, with other products in between for quick wipes.

I will say that at least for me, the bottle and labelling looks super home made, but the stuff works!

-Matt
Old 06-17-2020, 03:02 AM
TrillyPop
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

i have a couple of watches but never really wear them as i pretty much know what time it is.

back off topic.

I drove the car to search for fresh tree dropped avocados which is usually no more than a mile drive. but today i had to forage so i also picked up fresh lettuce.
That's not what nice watches are for

The avocado part is amazing. Can't beat freshly picked fruits and veggies.

On topic, went to cnc yesterday to hang out with some friends. The E30 has the same size wheels and tires as the 9-96! And it wears Fikses.

Old 06-17-2020, 09:58 AM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
have you heard about the reverse argument of actually wearing your Rolex when you travel overseas? it was an article i came across a few years back...

...In dangerous areas, he relies on nice watches

I was working on a project in Singapore, and an ex-[Special Air Service] soldier told me to always wear a nice watch: Don’t flaunt it, but have it with you. He had a stainless-steel Rolex and wore it everywhere. He told me that no matter where you travel, a good watch—like a Rolex—is like currency and is something you can always use to barter to get yourself out of trouble. You always hear “never have anything nice on expedition,” but that soldier’s advice was smart and practical so I always wear a “tradable” watch that can help get me out of a bind.

Originally Posted by sdematt
I just bought Leatherique, which in Canada, is a bit more difficult because there's only one guy who imports it from the US (and with the border being closed, oh boy). Used it twice on my Sports Seats - so far, I'm a big fan. Really brought back a bit more of the softness. I'll probably use it twice more before moving into a 4x/year regimen, with other products in between for quick wipes.

I will say that at least for me, the bottle and labelling looks super home made, but the stuff works!

-Matt
i've always used Leatherique and have had great success with it... i massage the oil into the seats with my hands and park the car facing the sun... check on it hourly and usually the reapply if the leather has absorbed all the oil and repeat until the leather doesn't seem to take anymore... with this method i've never had to actually brush the leather clean since the oils push all the dirt and grime to the surface... then a wipe down with the pristine clean and you have nice supple leather that doesn't stink of chemicals either...

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?