Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 03:32 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Mezger Man
Had the oil changed today with Mobil1 5w40. The cost was $295 with the tax. Seems reasonable. When i got home i checked the level and it was 3 bars. i added 3/4 of a quart and it is now full.
when i'm too lazy to do the oil myself, my indy charges $185 to do an oil change with LiquidMoly 5w40... he also vacuums out the radiators and washes the exterior as part of the service...

Originally Posted by s65e90
I wear a gold Rolex to work everyday. I could care less what anyone thinks or that they may be offended by the fact I have a nice car or wear nice stuff. The sentiment seems nice, or maybe more paranoid.
I used to be exactly the same when i worked in Manhattan and commuted to the office via public transport. what's funny is that my watch could cost as much as someone's car but no one really makes a comment... since changing to a local company where everyone drove to the office and we all know each other's car, i noticed people make more comments about the cars people drive... i've heard, oh she drives a Mercedes so must be overpaid, when in fact it's only an entry level CLA... for me i was never one to care about what people think about me, BUT at work I am a little more self conscious about it because i don't want people, including my boss, to think i make too much. i want them to think i don't make enough so they pay me more that's why i drive hoopties to the office. outside of work, i don't care.

people can get weird when it comes to that kind of stuff...
Old 06-16-2020, 03:33 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,994 Likes on 3,037 Posts

You want a job...?

Hear, hear!
Old 06-16-2020, 03:36 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
You want a job...?

Hear, hear!
i've never been to VC i hear it's beautiful... when do i start?
Old 06-16-2020, 03:38 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You should come and visit first, then decide if you like the Manhattan property prices before you commit...
Old 06-16-2020, 03:45 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

You should come and visit first, then decide if you like the Manhattan property prices before you commit...
we were planning to this year to do an Alaska cruise but then COVID so those plans are out the window for this year. maybe next year.

i had a relative that lived in Victoria for a while but has since now moved to NY, otherwise we would have crashed there.
Old 06-16-2020, 03:46 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yeah, all boats cancelled this year - but there is always next year...

Something to look forward to in 2021...
Old 06-16-2020, 03:57 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

i recall another funny story related to bosses cars...

my best friend's father owns and manages large apartment buildings. the work trucks were usually Chevy's (Suburbans, Tahoes)... but their personal vehicles were always had MBs. the family is large so they had a relationship with the MB dealership since the 80's. over time as SUVs became more popular, instead of having a dedicated work truck and personal car, he began phasing out the Chevy's and just leasing the ML SUV.. that way he could use it for both work and personal. every three years when the lease is up, he turns it in and gets a new one. i remember he started with all black MLs, felt the need to switch to a silver one but then went back to black ever since.

one day i asked him about this and he mentioned that when he switched to a silver one, his tenants noticed it was a different car because of the color. they never noticed before because it was always black, and there may only be subtle mid model changes whenever his lease was due. but the color was a dead giveaway he got a new car... tenants would start to get late on rent and then comment about his new car and he doesn't need the money. so since then he has only had black ones...
Old 06-16-2020, 03:58 PM
pancing
Drifting

Received 246 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by kamlung
when i'm too lazy to do the oil myself, my indy charges $185 to do an oil change with LiquidMoly 5w40... he also vacuums out the radiators and washes the exterior as part of the service...

I used to be exactly the same when i worked in Manhattan and commuted to the office via public transport. what's funny is that my watch could cost as much as someone's car but no one really makes a comment... since changing to a local company where everyone drove to the office and we all know each other's car, i noticed people make more comments about the cars people drive... i've heard, oh she drives a Mercedes so must be overpaid, when in fact it's only an entry level CLA... for me i was never one to care about what people think about me, BUT at work I am a little more self conscious about it because i don't want people, including my boss, to think i make too much. i want them to think i don't make enough so they pay me more that's why i drive hoopties to the office. outside of work, i don't care.

people can get weird when it comes to that kind of stuff...
yooo 185 to take off the bumper and oil change, thats a deal!
Old 06-16-2020, 04:00 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

i don't think he actually drops the bumper... he has a long attachment that can reach in with... when i did my grills and dropped the bumper, there was still crud behind the condenser...
Old 06-16-2020, 04:01 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

This is, in essence, what I have noticed over the years. When the Boss got his new 991.2TTs a couple of years ago, I had exactly 7 requests for raises within the first ten business days of the new car being here.

Since we have asked everyone take a 10% pay cut, playing with ALL the toys, ALL the time, seems a little in your face, to me.
The following users liked this post:
kamlung (06-16-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 04:01 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pancing
yooo 185 to take off the bumper and oil change, thats a deal!
I didn't have to take my bumper off to change the oil...
Old 06-16-2020, 04:03 PM
Mezger Man
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

My lack of a lift plus having had a total hip and knee replacement makes crawling and kneeling tough. I wish I could do some basic maintenance.
Old 06-16-2020, 04:03 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

This is, in essence, what I have noticed over the years. When the Boss got his new 991.2TTs a couple of years ago, I had exactly 7 requests for raises within the first ten business days of the new car being here.

Since we have asked everyone take a 10% pay cut, playing with ALL the toys, ALL the time, seems a little in your face, to me.
@Tom_W when you bought the turbo and still had the 996 as well, didn't you have people wanting a raise too?
Old 06-16-2020, 04:33 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by kamlung
... for me i was never one to care about what people think about me, But at work I am a little more self conscious about it because i don't want people, including my boss, to think i make too much.
But your wife could work and her money paid for the car/toys.

Or you and/or your wife could have a trust fund.

Or you may not have education debt.

Or you may just be better at managing your money than other folks and have the descreationary money to have the things you do that other people don't.

I don't worry about what others may think about my finances.

Old 06-16-2020, 04:39 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If you were in and running your Dad's store in this day and age, your view may very well be different.

As I was a physch major in school, I can attest to the fact that, even though they may be smiling on the outside, they could very well feeling something very different on the inside.

And it is what I cannot see that poses a risk to my business.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?