996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2024 | 12:00 PM
QwikKotaTX
Burning Brakes

My clutch was replaced about 30k miles ago but not sure how many track events it was beat up on with by the previous owner. I definitely take it easy getting moving in 1st gear but aggressive 1-2 shifts are not my specialty in this rig.

I want to say T2 stated his factory clutch lasted all the way to 370k miles when he had the engine rebuilt. That included some track events.
Old 05-27-2024 | 11:17 AM
QwikKotaTX
Burning Brakes

What do you all recommend to re-attach the carbon strips to the defroster panels? The PO used double sided tape but that did not stick well in all areas and the carbon lifted up. Would some sort of epoxy be a better choice or does it need to be flexible with temperature swings?

Not my picture but similar setup:

Old 05-27-2024 | 01:22 PM
vtec_
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by QwikKotaTX
What do you all recommend to re-attach the carbon strips to the defroster panels? The PO used double sided tape but that did not stick well in all areas and the carbon lifted up. Would some sort of epoxy be a better choice or does it need to be flexible with temperature swings?

Not my picture but similar setup:
3M SuperTrim 08090 or something similar

Id imagine superglue would work in a pinch..
Old 05-28-2024 | 09:16 AM
Lazurus
Pro

Awaiting UPS so I can finish my brake job with hopefully the correct "R" rotor. Third shipment should be the charm. Hoping AI takes over warehouse part picking soon, as humans keep messing it up! I mean who puts a "left" rotor in a box with a "right" side part number.

@QuikKotaTX GL with those CF pieces. Seems to be one of those "only a matter of time" things re the bits coming unglued. As for my alcantara. You don't want to see that "age" my current center console looks like "roadkill"!

Last edited by Lazurus; 05-28-2024 at 09:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
vtec_ (05-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2024 | 11:06 AM
QwikKotaTX
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the replies. I still have some double sided tape to remove and will try to fix a corner where the top clear epoxy is cracked. The passenger side looks pretty good, just lifted up. I saw on 6speed a guy used hot glue gun but the strip is about 18" long. I would think the glue on the first half of the panel would start to harden before I could finish applying the rest of the glue and attach the CF piece. It's a garage queen for the most part but once I get things back together I am sure it will see more sun exposure driving or at car shows. Something pliable may be best.

Alcantara trim would be neat too. I wish my CF steering wheel was in better shape and the leather was alcantara or whatever the headliner is. I really like that wheel Clint Hightower is running but afraid to ask the price.
Old 05-28-2024 | 11:18 AM
Lazurus
Pro

Alcantara trim would be neat too. I wish my CF steering wheel was in better shape and the leather was alcantara or whatever the headliner is. I really like that wheel Clint Hightower is running but afraid to ask the price.
Problem I found with time re alcantara, is it collects dirt/grime even when you're sure your hands are clean! It just didn't age well for me.

As to steering wheels, best I ever saw for this car ( and happily got one while I could ) was the 340mm "Raid/Atwie" that Gert @ Carnewal used to carry. Same as the FVD etc. Black leather and aluminum two tone it looks and feels fantastic and has airbag that I hope to never see deployed. First time I installed it i thought I was driving a go-kart! I think the stocker is 370mm +? so a huge reduction in size. I think the stocker now is like the wheel on the "U.S.S. Minnow"!
Old 05-28-2024 | 12:58 PM
QwikKotaTX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lazurus
Problem I found with time re alcantara, is it collects dirt/grime even when you're sure your hands are clean! It just didn't age well for me.

As to steering wheels, best I ever saw for this car ( and happily got one while I could ) was the 340mm "Raid/Atwie" that Gert @ Carnewal used to carry. Same as the FVD etc. Black leather and aluminum two tone it looks and feels fantastic and has airbag that I hope to never see deployed. First time I installed it i thought I was driving a go-kart! I think the stocker is 370mm +? so a huge reduction in size. I think the stocker now is like the wheel on the "U.S.S. Minnow"!
Good point. The headliner never gets touched so alcantara is fine. I would love a replacement wheel that is smaller in diameter and with a flat bottom but don't know if the minimal times I drive the car is worth the $1200 expense.
Old 05-28-2024 | 04:52 PM
Lazurus
Pro

Good point. The headliner never gets touched so alcantara is fine. I would love a replacement wheel that is smaller in diameter and with a flat bottom but don't know if the minimal times I drive the car is worth the $1200 expense.
$1200 for a steering wheel? I'd never release my grip. I got mine for $895! I dunno maybe 15 years ago and I actually saw on for sale on Ebay awhile back for like 3 grand! It's nice but... Not that nice!

I just hated those "DCT" refurbs that were all the rage back when. But they were flat bottom and made one for Tip owners with paddles so that's cool. Not a lot of choices in the steering wheel dept. for these. Did Momo ever make em? I don't recall ever seeing one for a Turbo.
Old 05-28-2024 | 05:53 PM
jcc0016
Rennlist Member

If interested, but not cheap, I have a small 340mm Atiwe/FVD wheel that I will be selling in the coming months. Its rare carbon and leather combo and would be just the wheel and would need a hub.
Old 05-28-2024 | 06:57 PM
Lazurus
Pro

Originally Posted by jcc0016
If interested, but not cheap, I have a small 340mm Atiwe/FVD wheel that I will be selling in the coming months. Its rare carbon and leather combo and would be just the wheel and would need a hub.
A rare animal these days. I think Gert @ Carnewal still has the hub extenders. I never used one.
Old 05-28-2024 | 10:42 PM
Scrh1
Rennlist Member

These guys do good work …. https://www.dctms.com/product_ST_PCH_996_986.html Since I have a tip the paddles and wheel from them looks factory. Not sure on the non tip wheels. Some were returns in the past as well as some were built from new so just depends on what you find

Others have commented as well as posted links to aliexpress and eBay wheels. I’d keep an eye on the classifieds here and 6 speed and one will turn up sooner than later for a deal.

Carlo_Carrera (05-28-2024)
Old 05-29-2024 | 10:52 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Momo makes plenty of steering wheels, just not with air bags. So if you want to use one, you lose the drivers airbag. This is my wheel and I love it, makes the car feel far more modern than the thin rimmed stock wheel

Old 05-29-2024 | 11:03 AM
G8rJimbo
Rennlist Member

For anyone that may be looking for a very clean, modified 996 TT, please check or forward this link.
Old 05-29-2024 | 12:14 PM
Lazurus
Pro

Originally Posted by docwyte
Momo makes plenty of steering wheels, just not with air bags. So if you want to use one, you lose the drivers airbag. This is my wheel and I love it, makes the car feel far more modern than the thin rimmed stock wheel

Looks very similar to the FVD/Raid w/ airbag but that appears to use the OEM airbag center section. The Raid wheel I have has a proprietary(?) airbag, or at least I think it's "theirs". It came with a very small Porsche crest that is simply a "stick on" add on. I recall some warning that in a frontal impact airbag deploying event, I might end up with a Porsche crested forehead. I've had airbag deployment in a 996 Turbo and I'll take my chances with that "sticker".
Old 05-29-2024 | 12:15 PM
Lazurus
Pro

Originally Posted by G8rJimbo
For anyone that may be looking for a very clean, modified 996 TT, please check or forward this link.
Beautifully maintained specimen and nice mods. GLWS
G8rJimbo (05-29-2024)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?