Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2024, 04:19 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 833 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by kamlung
at least he's honest with himself about it... can you imagine if he had that mindset and still had kids of his own?

it's not for everyone. yes it's a lot of work. but not having kids usually becomes a regret later in the later years of life... i see the joy that my children bring to my parents... i'm hoping i get that when i'm their age...
the assumption that things will turn out like **** seems sad. That's all. I never thought I'd have kids, once you have them, it's hard to describe how they make you feel.
Old 06-05-2024, 04:21 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Originally Posted by vtec_
I work with data for a living. Im not in my feelings and its the harsh truth.

yeah dude, do you know how many boomers got married and had kids and didn't actually want them? I just couldn't imagine going down that path in life and not actually thinking it through..and most men do not and dont learn the truth until its too late. Id have to see the data on actual 'regret' but most of the older guys ive met that didnt go down that path have ever told me they wish they did, but they certainly had plenty of stories about friends/family/colleauges getting their *** handed to them in a divorce and watching everything they worked for go up in smoke.

I dont know the specifics of what happened to our guy here and its none of my business but the fact that this BS goes on is ridiculous. Hence why I made that statement about marriage and birthrates..they are dropping off a cliff and this is one of many reasons!
Your work may not be grounded in reality that's all. Sometimes some things don't translate over well. I swore I would never get married... then never have kids... Once it happens, it's an amazing feeling/experience. And you get to live vicariously through them and never grow up! Sure it's not for everyone, but let's not make it seem like negativity is the rule.
Old 06-05-2024, 06:08 PM
Lazurus
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 106 Posts

I hate to say "it" but "someone should. 27 moderators and this is not the place for parenting tips. I mean, c'mon fellas - Are there not more general threads or forums more appropriate for this kind of stuff!?

Sorry, forget I said anything. Carry on.

I washed teradactyl ***t off my car this AM now it's under a shade tree in scorching heat. I miss my GARAGE!
The following 3 users liked this post by Lazurus:
kamlung (06-06-2024), LinwoodM (06-05-2024), vtec_ (06-05-2024)
Old 06-05-2024, 06:15 PM
17ram2500
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 115 Posts

I moved mine out of the garage to use the wood jointer and the "big" tablesaw today, and then put it back in the garage.

At least it's out of the weather.... it had been outside for awhile due to the BMW racecar taking up space cause it's *neeeeeeddddyyyyy*.

The following users liked this post:
LinwoodM (06-05-2024)
Old 06-05-2024, 10:45 PM
vtec_
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 93 Posts

got my #16 check valve and a do88 f-pipe in the mail. not many are making the silicone f pipes anymore it seems
Old 06-06-2024, 08:41 AM
Lazurus
Pro

got my #16 check valve and a do88 f-pipe in the mail. not many are making the silicone f pipes anymore it seems
The "#16" check valve R&R is like a "rite of passage" so congrats! GL wrangling on the plenum to get at it!
Old 06-06-2024, 10:48 AM
s65e90
Race Car

Anyone want/need an F-hose, I have an OEM and silicone on my desk, $100. I also have billet diverter valves to replace the plastic.
Old 06-06-2024, 03:18 PM
vtec_
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazurus
The "#16" check valve R&R is like a "rite of passage" so congrats! GL wrangling on the plenum to get at it!
I am hoping lowering the motor a bit will help make this easier. It is a PITA to get off
Old 06-06-2024, 03:19 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,082 Likes on 3,095 Posts

I could not do that, bravo to you.
vtec_ (06-12-2024)
Old 06-06-2024, 06:08 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,832 Likes on 1,516 Posts

I am hoping lowering the motor a bit will help make this easier. It is a PITA to get off
It's pretty much impossible without lowering the motor, and just damn difficult with lowering the motor!

One of the troublesome issues is that if the engine is as it left the factory, the clamps that go on the short piece of hose between the plenum and check valve are the spring type, and the "ears" to retract the clamp are usually facing forward, exactly where you can't get to them.

One technique is to use a piece of paracord, try and loop it around the second ear, and try and pull on the paracord to to slightly expand the clamp and rotate it to a position where you have a chance of getting a remote hose clamp pliers on them. But BE CAREFUL, the nipple on the plenum that the hose connects to is plastic. If you break it, you are in for a much bigger job, removing the entire plenum.

The second technique (which I prefer) is to use a drywall jab saw and just cut through dead center of the hose between the plenum and check valve. Once they are separated, it is much easier to remove the check valve and get the short stub of the hose off the plenum without risking breaking the nipple. Then just replace that section of hose when reinstalling...

The picture below shows the layout... Not my picture, but I added the cut here annotation. Note that in this picture, the ears to the clamps are facing up where you can get to them. They usually are NOT in this position unless someone has already replaced the check valve, they are rotated 90 forward of their shown position where you can't get to them.

Shown below are the 'suction jet pump' (aka venturi tube, for power brake vacuum generation), which on mine was also leaking, the old #16 check valve, the cut hose, and new check valve with replacement hose.

This picture shows the plastic nipple on the plenum, which if you break, you are kind of f*ck&d.

Last edited by pfbz; 06-06-2024 at 06:27 PM.
vtec_ (06-08-2024)
Old 06-06-2024, 06:22 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 145 Posts

Some flexible hose clamp pliers like these ones make easy work of the hard to reach and twisted around ones. Have saved me so much time.

The following 2 users liked this post by T10Chris:
jpflip (06-06-2024), vtec_ (06-06-2024)
Old 06-06-2024, 06:26 PM
Lazurus
Pro

Last time in there for my IPD install I think a hammer was involved - Tight fit indeed. But I always remember with joy, pressure testing once and finding the #16 hissing back at me with escaping air. It doesn't take "much"!
vtec_ (06-06-2024)
Old 06-06-2024, 06:29 PM
Lazurus
Pro

Originally Posted by pfbz
It's pretty much impossible without lowering the motor, and just damn difficult with lowering the motor!

One of the troublesome issues is that if the engine is as it left the factory, the clamps that go on the short piece of hose between the plenum and check valve are the spring type, and the "ears" to retract the clamp are usually facing forward, exactly where you can't get to them.

One technique is to use a piece of paracord, try and loop it around the second ear, and try and pull on the paracord to to slightly expand the clamp and rotate it to a position where you have a chance of getting a remote hose clamp pliers on them. But BE CAREFUL, the nipple on the plenum that the hose connects to is plastic. If you break it, you are in for a much bigger job, removing the entire plenum.

The second technique (which I prefer) is to use a drywall jab saw and just cut through dead center of the hose between the plenum and check valve. Once they are separated, it is much easier to remove the check valve and get the short stub of the hose off the plenum without risking breaking the nipple. Then just replace that section of hose when reinstalling...

The picture below shows the layout... Not my picture, but I added the cut here annotation. Note that in this picture, the ears to the clamps are facing up where you can get to them. They usually are NOT in this position unless someone has already replaced the check valve, they are rotated 90 forward of their shown position where you can't get to them.

Shown below are the 'suction jet pump' (power brake vacuum generation), which on mine was also leaking, the old #16 check valve, the cut hose, and new check valve with replacement hose.

This picture shows the plastic nipple on the plenum, which if you break, you are kind of f*ck&d.
THE most helpful posted tutorial of the day. Who doesn't like pictures! The key also to not snapping the nipple on the OEM plenum is to replace it with an IPD!

I made a bong out of my old OEM.

Nice.
Old 06-06-2024, 06:31 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,832 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Originally Posted by T10Chris
Some flexible hose clamp pliers like these ones make easy work of the hard to reach and twisted around ones. Have saved me so much time.
Oh I agree... I have the same tool and it is indispensable. Tool works great if the clamps aren't rotated completely forward, but there was not enough clearance to get them on the ears when they are facing the front of the car.
Old 06-06-2024, 06:51 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,082 Likes on 3,095 Posts

I think I should get Paul and Chris to work on my car.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?