Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 10:55 AM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 251 Posts

Changed the oil with M1 5w-50. Was not able to get the turbo sump drains out, please don't flame me!

Next job while on the lift is accumulator replacement. Need to make my custom 27mm wrench first.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:03 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,474 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Brown
Changed the oil with M1 5w-50. Was not able to get the turbo sump drains out, please don't flame me!

Next job while on the lift is accumulator replacement. Need to make my custom 27mm wrench first.
No worries. It is common for those turbo sump drain plugs to become frozen. There is only a couple of ounces in there anyway. I think the 997TTs don't even have those drain plugs.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:43 PM
Ck986
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I changed out the two clutch switches. Its tough using both hands working up in there. Also i had a head ache from the blood rushing to my head after i finished. Its an easy job and probably easier if you weigh 160lbs or less.

Sometime this weekend ill be changing out the ignition switch.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:28 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Put it on the lift, pulled the wheels and inspected the brakes. Looks like stock pads in the back and Pagid 90's up front. Well, if they are going to be mismatched that is the right bias

There are no extra brake cooling ducts, so that will have to be addressed. I guess GT3 ducts for now up front, and I have a set of 997 GT3 rear ducts I will try to adapt.

Then I pulled the passenger door panel and adjusted the window. It had been slightly interfering with the rear seat window. Ended up with it just where it should be a after a few adjustments.

Evaluated the 315 rear tire rubbing potential. There are rub marks on the inner fender liner right where the turbo hoses are. I'm presuming this is common. Maybe GT3 fender liners are in my future.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:39 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 340 Posts

FINALLY started my engine drop for coolant fittings, injectors (and wastegates), and full coolant system refresh, etc..
About 3 lazy hours/beers to this point...
sway bar, exhaust, intercoolers, piping, inner fenders, and intake, etc. taken off, coolant drained
Attached Images  
Old 04-21-2014, 12:11 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Brown
Put it on the lift, pulled the wheels and inspected the brakes. Looks like stock pads in the back and Pagid 90's up front. Well, if they are going to be mismatched that is the right bias

There are no extra brake cooling ducts, so that will have to be addressed. I guess GT3 ducts for now up front, and I have a set of 997 GT3 rear ducts I will try to adapt.

Evaluated the 315 rear tire rubbing potential. There are rub marks on the inner fender liner right where the turbo hoses are. I'm presuming this is common. Maybe GT3 fender liners are in my future.
Chris,
The Pagid 90s are stock GT3 pads. They should be yellow.

As far as ducts go, don't get the standard front 997GT3 ducts. They are very small and no improvement over the stock TT ducts. What you want are the 996 Cup ducts which are much bigger than stock. The Cup ducts are actually stock TT ducts with a much larger scoop riveted onto them. They are expensive at about $360 for the pair but work very well. You can see them in the picture below. They tie in perfectly with the GT2 front fender liners which are a worthwhile add on. In the rear, you can install the stock 996GT2 ducts which clip onto the rear LCA. You can also install the 997GT2 rear belly pan which has NACA scoops built in that direct further air to the rear brakes via 997GT2 air guides.

The GT3 does not have rear fender liners. GT2 does but the liners are the same as the TT except they have an extra hole in the side and use a different attachment bracket which eliminates the bracket at the base of the intercooler hose instead attaching the liner on the side. The brackets are about $80 each.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:28 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 271 Posts

Mounted GT3 ten spokes with fresh rubber.

(also listed car for sale on PCA.org - spring time itch for a new ride )
Attached Images   
Old 04-21-2014, 12:26 PM
cburke996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally did my first track day with this car on Saturday. Was down at NJMP Lightning. I was pretty happy with the car, it was very planted and didn't have a hiccup all day. Boost was consistent, temps were solid. Handling was on spot, didnt even adjust my KW V3's. The R888's were a great touch, had them at 32psi F&R hot.

Its weakness was brakes. Stock pads, stock fluid. Killed my front pads in about 4 sessions, my almost brand new rear pads lost about 2/3 of their life as well. Should have known better. Oh well. PFC 08/06 front rear combo going in, as well as a Motul RBF 600 fluid flush. At the same time, I am going to have the rotors resurfaced, and paint the calipers with the G2 paint kit.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:38 PM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
...What you want are the 996 Cup ducts which are much bigger than stock. The Cup ducts are actually stock TT ducts with a much larger scoop riveted onto them. They are expensive at about $360 for the pair but work very well.
For $700 Tarett makes a 996TT brake cooling kit. A set of Cup ducts are less, but if they get damaged your looking at another $350 and the likelihood of it happening again and again.

I am seriously considering this as my next upgrade since my car is tracked.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:38 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Excellent advice, thanks. I may try to make my own extensions on the GT3 front scoops, I'm handy with a heat and rivit gun. Right now I have no ducts front or rear so anything would be an improvement.

The rear scoops seem worth getting if not too expensive, I'll try and find that part number.

Are the factory GT3 Pagids worth using on the track with our heavier cars?

Thanks again for all the info!

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Chris,
The Pagid 90s are stock GT3 pads. They should be yellow.

As far as ducts go, don't get the standard front 997GT3 ducts. They are very small and no improvement over the stock TT ducts. What you want are the 996 Cup ducts which are much bigger than stock. The Cup ducts are actually stock TT ducts with a much larger scoop riveted onto them. They are expensive at about $360 for the pair but work very well. You can see them in the picture below. They tie in perfectly with the GT2 front fender liners which are a worthwhile add on. In the rear, you can install the stock 996GT2 ducts which clip onto the rear LCA. You can also install the 997GT2 rear belly pan which has NACA scoops built in that direct further air to the rear brakes via 997GT2 air guides.

The GT3 does not have rear fender liners. GT2 does but the liners are the same as the TT except they have an extra hole in the side and use a different attachment bracket which eliminates the bracket at the base of the intercooler hose instead attaching the liner on the side. The brackets are about $80 each.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:46 PM
PurpleHeart997
Intermediate

Today, I was just going to look into what it would take to get my headlight out, tear it apart, clean it out, and replace. When I bought the car I noticed what looked like mud/dirt/grime inside the housing and knew I would have to get at this at some point for my own sake.

So, being new to Porsche still, I figured today I would just gather the information needed to complete this task when it was nicer out. Well, I'm sure you guys know this, but +1 for Porsche with it taking all of 5 seconds to get the entire headlight housing out. That was awesome.

I have somewhat of a bastard 996. The whole body is 997 so I've just been following a 997 thread I found on doing the headlights. As the headlight sits now it is out and apart ready to be cleaned. I had to take a break for class and just getting back now. My fingertips are still on fire from separating the lens from the housing.

Anywho, pictures of what I'm cleaning out!

Name:  Headlight1_zps41da641f.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  48.5 KB

Name:  Headlight3_zpsd3095ebe.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  42.3 KB

Name:  Headlight2_zpsfafd3c98.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  596.8 KB

More to come!
Old 04-22-2014, 06:09 PM
drh
Burning Brakes

Mine is now in the shop at Sunset Porsche-Audi. We are having all the coolant lines TIG welded, replacing the coolant tank, and we're upgrading to a new Sachs clutch assembly with GTRS 4.0 LWFW. I'm a bit anxious regarding the LWFW and how my car is going to respond.

Thanks to Kevin at UMW for the parts and to Rachel @Sunset for hooking me up with a brand new Audi as a loaner.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:17 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by drh
I'm a bit anxious regarding the LWFW and how my car is going to respond.
Don't be - it's a fantastic upgrade. There is a change in sound at idle, but it is a good audible.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:43 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

^ +1
I did this 18 mos ago, have not regretted it one bit
Old 04-23-2014, 08:05 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 348 Posts

At mechanic having RSS engine mounts and Fabspeed headers/exhaust installed. Just had PSS10 suspension installed. I suspect my car will be a very different animal when it returns. :-)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?