Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 10:38 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,023 Likes on 3,060 Posts

I thought all of them had clears; I love my clears.

Old 01-08-2021, 11:02 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,470 Likes on 1,559 Posts

North American regs require amber. Most NA residents switch over to clears anyway.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:15 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by Mavster
A great solution to mitigate syncro damage resulting from changing gears during spirited driving
I was referring to his stated opinions.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:59 AM
sdematt
Rennlist Member

Received 432 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
North American regs require amber. Most NA residents switch over to clears anyway.
Okay, good to know. Most cars I see have switched to the clear - for some reason, I just like how nice and clear the amber is, considering how dark it is here for many months out of the year, and the inclement weather.

-Matt
Old 01-08-2021, 12:22 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by sdematt
Crap, then I'll have to wind it out tomorrow.

Just got the calipers all repainted for a song, so I'm pretty pleased.

who did the calipers? they look great... did you rebuild the seals too???
Old 01-08-2021, 12:39 PM
sdematt
Rennlist Member

A local tuning shop near me did a full detail on the car, but the calipers were very heavily scratched, so they recommended painting them. They had a local guy come in and do the work (never met him, paid cash) but he does all their cars and they turned out very well.

They were not rebuilt with seals and such. This was more of a cosmetic touch up, and for the price, I'm pleased.
Old 01-08-2021, 12:53 PM
Mavster
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
I was referring to his stated opinions.

I know, my comment was an attempt at humour, a bad one obviously
Old 01-08-2021, 12:57 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I know, my comment was an attempt at humour, a bad one obviously
Happens to me on a regular basis.
Old 01-08-2021, 01:46 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

I know, my comment was an attempt at humour...

My reply to you was simply to clarify my previous comment.
Old 01-08-2021, 02:21 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 243 Posts

A local tuning shop near me did a full detail on the car, but the calipers were very heavily scratched, so they recommended painting them. They had a local guy come in and do the work (never met him, paid cash) but he does all their cars and they turned out very well.

They were not rebuilt with seals and such. This was more of a cosmetic touch up, and for the price, I'm pleased.
thanks for the details... mine are faded and the clear is chipping... i still debate just refreshing them on the car or taking them off and having them sent off for a full color and rebuild...
Old 01-08-2021, 02:28 PM
sdematt
Rennlist Member

I kind of made the judgment call since the car hasn't had any issues, I figured I'd do a cosmetic refresh (the painting was 90 USD per caliper, so I couldn't say no; another shop offered refinishing of the calipers with no rebuild for 1500 for the car - I politely declined), and if they needed a rebuild, I'll just do it later. Now I have to wait 6 weeks and then they can ceramic coat the calipers!

-Matt
The following users liked this post:
kamlung (01-09-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 02:59 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Sent my Ti exhaust tips out for ceramic coating, as well as my new 3" ICs for thermal dispersant coating.
Old 01-08-2021, 03:26 PM
sdematt
Rennlist Member

Thermal Dispersant Coating? Do tell.
Old 01-08-2021, 04:04 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thermal Dispersant Coating? Do tell.
Turbo charged engines benefit greatly from advanced thermal management packages due to the amount of heat that is generated, and ultimately transferred to, other components in an engine bay.

By keeping the exhaust components insulated, there are two benefits. The first is that you keep the exhaust gases moving fast - this aids in lighting the turbos quicker, as well as expeditious evacuation of exhaust gas - the quicker the gas moves, the better it is for the engine. There is a whole whack of data on this out there, but essentially this sums it up nicely:

It has been determined that engine efficiency improves by 1% for every 10° degree drop in under-hood temperature. If we were to optimize this data, we could reasonably assume that one could obtain a 50 horsepower increase on a 500 horsepower engine.

The other side of the coin is dispersing heat from areas you don't want it, like radiators, intakes, ICs, compressor housings, heads, etc. By aiding the reduction of heat in heat soaked components, the above statement grows in credibility.

Hot rodders have been wrapping headers for decades, with well documented results. Some years ago, the advent of advanced ceramics started to appear on the market primarily for industrial applications (huge heat exchangers, turbines, etc.), but as the initial investment into this technology was repaid, it started to trickle down into the racing world first, and then into the consumer market where I found it. A lot of this advance ceramics are used in the aerospace world (stealth, turbofans) in the same way we use them in the automotive world - keep heat in at certain points, and get it out at others.

Awhile ago, we developed some IP on this concept and have applied it to various industrial and marine applications. It works, however, it is unlikely to take of for the OEMs due to the complexity and cost to coat and cure parts that you are trying to mass produce. McLaren, in the original F1, used a ceramic coated gold leaf that adorned the inside of the F1s engine bay - beautiful, but by God was it expensive. F1 teams have been using thermally retardant material in brake components for years (beryllium), and if you look around the 991 forum, there is widespread use of it on 1000hp turbos.

I became interested in it when I lunched the head on my R some years ago. I end up tearing the engine down and rebuilding it using all manner of ceramics throughout it - low friction, oil repelling, thermal management, etc., etc. But I was then young and stupid - my quest was for more power and I did not realize the impact on efficiency until one day, when I was coming back to the coast from Fort Mac in the R, had just fueled up in Hinton, pulled back onto the highway and promptly got stuck behind a Horseman, running exactly the limit.

So, as we plodded along at exactly the limit (which NEVER happened), we got to Jasper and I noted that it appeared I had not used any fuel. Pulled into to Jasper and put less than a gallon into the car. As I usually spent all my time bouncing the R off the limiter, I was shocked - this was better than 50mpg (80kms/50miles Hinton to Jasper). So this was enough to encourage me to investigate further, first with gas turbocharged (Sti) then, into the diesels.

The Sti, on its first motor before it exploded, turned back better than 30mpg, but it was the diesels that were shocking - repeatable 25mpg+ on 6.0ls and better than 22/24mpg on 6.4s. And, this was scalable - we have seen similar improvements on big terrestrial and marine diesels, and even more when coupled with dynamic measurements accounting for weather, temperature, fuel condition and load.

So, I am a believer. Everything I play with, I coat, unless of course it's new and under warranty. As I am known to keep equipment for extended period of time, as things break, or require service, I work coating into the maintenance programs so it doesn't break the bank.
Old 01-08-2021, 04:06 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 822 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Turbo charged engines benefit greatly from advanced thermal management packages due to the amount of heat that is generated, and ultimately transferred to, other components in an engine bay.

By keeping the exhaust components insulated, there are two benefits. The first is that you keep the exhaust gases moving fast - this aids in lighting the turbos quicker, as well as expeditious evacuation of exhaust gas - the quicker the gas moves, the better it is for the engine. There is a whole whack of data on this out there, but essentially this sums it up nicely:

It has been determined that engine efficiency improves by 1% for every 10° degree drop in under-hood temperature. If we were to optimize this data, we could reasonably assume that one could obtain a 50 horsepower increase on a 500 horsepower engine.

The other side of the coin is dispersing heat from areas you don't want it, like radiators, intakes, ICs, compressor housings, heads, etc. By aiding the reduction of heat in heat soaked components, the above statement grows in credibility.

Hot rodders have been wrapping headers for decades, with well documented results. Some years ago, the advent of advanced ceramics started to appear on the market primarily for industrial applications (huge heat exchangers, turbines, etc.), but as the initial investment into this technology was repaid, it started to trickle down into the racing world first, and then into the consumer market where I found it. A lot of this advance ceramics are used in the aerospace world (stealth, turbofans) in the same way we use them in the automotive world - keep heat in at certain points, and get it out at others.

Awhile ago, we developed some IP on this concept and have applied it to various industrial and marine applications. It works, however, it is unlikely to take of for the OEMs due to the complexity and cost to coat and cure parts that you are trying to mass produce. McLaren, in the original F1, used a ceramic coated gold leaf that adorned the inside of the F1s engine bay - beautiful, but by God was it expensive. F1 teams have been using thermally retardant material in brake components for years (beryllium), and if you look around the 991 forum, there is widespread use of it on 1000hp turbos.

I became interested in it when I lunched the head on my R some years ago. I end up tearing the engine down and rebuilding it using all manner of ceramics throughout it - low friction, oil repelling, thermal management, etc., etc. But I was then young and stupid - my quest was for more power and I did not realize the impact on efficiency until one day, when I was coming back to the coast from Fort Mac in the R, had just fueled up in Hinton, pulled back onto the highway and promptly got stuck behind a Horseman, running exactly the limit.

So, as we plodded along at exactly the limit (which NEVER happened), we got to Jasper and I noted that it appeared I had not used any fuel. Pulled into to Jasper and put less than a gallon into the car. As I usually spent all my time bouncing the R off the limiter, I was shocked - this was better than 50mpg (80kms/50miles Hinton to Jasper). So this was enough to encourage me to investigate further, first with gas turbocharged (Sti) then, into the diesels.

The Sti, on its first motor before it exploded, turned back better than 30mpg, but it was the diesels that were shocking - repeatable 25mpg+ on 6.0ls and better than 22/24mpg on 6.4s. And, this was scalable - we have seen similar improvements on big terrestrial and marine diesels, and even more when coupled with dynamic measurements accounting for weather, temperature, fuel condition and load.

So, I am a believer. Everything I play with, I coat, unless of course it's new and under warranty. As I am known to keep equipment for extended period of time, as things break, or require service, I work coating into the maintenance programs so it doesn't break the bank.

The guy who invented the silver heat retardant tape/foil used to live in my Father-in-laws neighborhood if I recall. I've been using the DEI gold tape for many years where it's needed to heat reflection and it works very well.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?