Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2024, 11:48 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,791 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Pretty sure it drives on the wrong side...
German car I thought?
Old 03-13-2024, 04:36 AM
996dougie
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
25 years is an important milestone for importing cars into the US from other countries, but not an import duty issue...

Anything less than 25 years must comply with all Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and has to be on a pre-existing list of list of eligible motor vehicles. You can have exceptions "show and display only" (expensive, impractical) or diplomatic temporary imports, but that aside, it effectively just can't be done.

After 25 years (from date of manufacture), the gloves come off and you can import almost anything.

The euro 996 GT3's are definitely prime candidates for thati 25 year plus importation, and the 996 GT3 RS in particular but that will be a few more years...

PS, i might be interested in your GT3, any details?
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated!

I purchased the car from my best buddy who was short of money that time (about 3 years ago) and decided giving it a major overhaul.

Beside the small bits & pieces it got:

Complete Suspension (all arms Front & Rear) without dampers which were renewed by my buddy before.
New Window Lifts Left & Right
New Clutch, Release Bearing, TwoMass Flywheel, Crankshaft Seal
Technically I'm not aware of any flaws or shortcomings.

Has done 76t mls and has its life spent in Switzerland (and still is registered in Switzerland)... and yes, of course its LHD

I drove the car only rarely because it's not built for this area. You're too fast according to traffic rules in less than two seconds and once you spent some time in stop-n-go traffic you curse about the clutch.
This car is not made for cruising and the seats squeeze you in like in a vice. It's a scalpel for a professional surgeon, who's patient is a curvy street.

Driving the car is like running around with rubber boots your whole life, but then you got a pair of Nikes .... similar feeling like with the Lotus Elise, but at another performance level.

Car has two sets of the original GT3 wheels one with new Pirellis (small) and a Set of Cup Tyres (wide)
Car is stored nice and dry since a while, letting the engine warm up from time to time.

Last edited by 996dougie; 03-13-2024 at 05:10 AM.
Old 03-13-2024, 12:20 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,990 Likes on 3,034 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
German car I thought?
I thought he was in England, and an English car... my bad.
Old 03-13-2024, 12:58 PM
QwikKotaTX
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazurus
There are a couple of ways to achieve RWD and depending upon who you ask coupled with the desired results you seek. I've done a few things over the last many years. The quickest way to suddenly become one wheel drive is the simply remove the cardan shaft. If this is done without an LSD obviating the "open diff" situation, it is a complete waste of time and does nothing to improve traction, as in extreme driving the wheel with the lightest load gets no power and so you're essentially "one wheel drive". ( I'm most probably mangling this example but hoping it makes sense(?)

Think Pike's Peak or steep canyon uphills at speed in off camber corners, if both wheels don't lock in unison one wheel spins free, it's useless and even detrimental

The point is that if you simply remove the cardan add an LSD and even without altering the car's geometry made to accomodate the front diff etc, so with the GT3(?) uprights and stubbed axles, it will still be vastly improved over stock. IF a RWD capable car is what you seek you can opt for a proper plate type LSD or as I did, simply install a Wavetrac which is an astonishingly competent compromise that will allow for all the benefits that an LSD can provide.

There have been numerous debates over the methodologies to achieve RWD and "proper" ( uprights/axles etc etc ) VS the "cheater" method I have tried to describe and used with great joy myself for years. But the one thing no one will argue against? Is the idiocy of trying to drive the car simply with the cardan removed withOUT an LSD. With just a wavetrac installed I've spent many a day careening through and up steep canyons with the ability to "throttle steer". That is something you simply cannot do with the OEM AWD. Or at least, I couldn't. I also never "fully converted" because I knew at some time I'd want to revert back to AWD which I ended up doing as I knew I was taking the car into snow country.. In all of 15 minutes by simply re-installing the cardan shaft. ( Yes I still always had the add'l 60 lbs of the unused front diff still hanging - but I figured that'd offset the removal of the spare donut tire in the frunk ! )

Only other point in the debate re plate type Vs a TBD ( Torsen or Wavetrac and the Wtrac IS different than others - Read up on their stuff for the answers as to "why" ) But there is no "tailwag" I've experienced with the W'trac in downhill sudden braking/downshifting I could ever really notice, but anything can get you squirrely given the right or wrong "situation". But that's always been the take on the primary reason(s) to choose a plate type LSD rather than a W'trac or other TBD Torsen type - is to prevent or at least mitigate that and "tailwag".

I can't expound on the benefits of a 60/40 Motorsport "proper" LSD on the track, like for example Pwdrhound here, uses per se as that's never been my "thing". My car while having been tracked and is bolt on "modded" has been a dual duty with mostly canyon running. But now alas, it is an old pastured yet still stung mule. Do I even notice the Wavetrac today? Not in the least. I'm not screaming uphills or highway pulling. Just pokin' along and probably why I'm not afraid to try $250.00 new rear tires!

I hope this doesn't renew a debate over one "type over another" re LSD uses, although I can see how it could! It's all been typed before and this is just my take re what I once did, and why.
Thank you for all of the info. Wish we had roads here like you are describing. I like getting sideways in previous vehicles but any mistakes and the following repairs were much cheaper than the Turbo. I am not sure if the handling changes as well such as the snap oversteer RWD models can be prone to. In a tight turn I try to stay slightly on the throttle to keep the rear settled and the front tires help pull some. I had an Eaton Truetrac in another vehicle and it worked very well plus no clutches to wear out.
Old 03-13-2024, 01:09 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Not sure if anyone needs anything, but Rock Auto is having a closeout sale on a number of 996 maintenance parts:

Wholesaler Closeout Parts : 2003 PORSCHE 911 3.6L H6 Turbocharged (rockauto.com)

Cheers,
The following 2 users liked this post by 2fcknfst:
Carlo_Carrera (03-13-2024), s65e90 (03-13-2024)
Old 03-13-2024, 01:24 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 800 Likes on 558 Posts

Not sure if anyone needs anything, but Rock Auto is having a closeout sale on a number of 996 maintenance parts:

Wholesaler Closeout Parts : 2003 PORSCHE 911 3.6L H6 Turbocharged (rockauto.com)

Cheers,

I need rear brakes, bought rear rotors for $10 each lol. Let's see how they are. Durago don't seem terrible. We'll see. Thanks for the link.
Old 03-13-2024, 01:26 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

No probs, my pleasure; I bought probably one of the last Bosch alternators in existence from them last season, and somehow I managed to get on their mailing list...

Some of the Tip stuff seemed very reasonable too.
Old 03-13-2024, 01:28 PM
s65e90
Race Car

No probs, my pleasure; I bought probably one of the last Bosch alternators in existence from them last season, and somehow I managed to get on their mailing list...

Some of the Tip stuff seemed very reasonable too.
The Akebono brakes, rotors and some other stuff like bulbs looks like great deals, I'd stay away from the off-brand bushings/bearings. Still some good deals there. Pilot bulbs for under $1.? Seems too good to be true.
Old 03-13-2024, 01:31 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If I were a betting man, I would say they have lost, or are losing, one of (or a number of) suppliers, or parts are being phased out.
Old 03-13-2024, 01:58 PM
sdematt
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 279 Posts

Man that website hurts my eyes...
The following users liked this post:
s65e90 (03-13-2024)
Old 03-13-2024, 02:02 PM
geetee
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

I would double check the part numbers...they've been wrong with the NA vs turbo parts in that past. The picture looks like NA rear rotor if the picture is correct

Originally Posted by s65e90
I need rear brakes, bought rear rotors for $10 each lol. Let's see how they are. Durago don't seem terrible. We'll see. Thanks for the link.
Old 03-13-2024, 02:35 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Originally Posted by geetee
I would double check the part numbers...they've been wrong with the NA vs turbo parts in that past. The picture looks like NA rear rotor if the picture is correct
interesting, I see they do list them for NA also, but these cross-reference turbo and c4s. Doesn't the c4s use the same rotors? I don/t remember. Either way, they're $10
Old 03-13-2024, 02:39 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

C4S has turbo brakes.
Old 03-13-2024, 04:45 PM
Lazurus
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by s65e90
I need rear brakes, bought rear rotors for $10 each lol. Let's see how they are. Durago don't seem terrible. We'll see.
Now THAT'S a deal. I've bought a set of Brembo rotors for fronts w/pads and sensors and hardware ( only as I re-used them all last time! ) and it was $300.00 all in - and I think?! that's a good deal. But who knows anymore. Some place another poster here steered me toward and front and rears for everything was only $500. I just don't need rears now.

I just perused that Rock Auto closeout and although I bought a clutch there once. The only thing I was able to find and ensure was an exact replacement part was two hood struts for 18 bucks. I guess that;s the deal o the day for today. That site makes dizzy and my eyes hurt.

Last edited by Lazurus; 03-13-2024 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-13-2024, 06:25 PM
Lazurus
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by QwikKotaTX
Thank you for all of the info. Wish we had roads here like you are describing. I like getting sideways in previous vehicles but any mistakes and the following repairs were much cheaper than the Turbo. I am not sure if the handling changes as well such as the snap oversteer RWD models can be prone to. In a tight turn I try to stay slightly on the throttle to keep the rear settled and the front tires help pull some. I had an Eaton Truetrac in another vehicle and it worked very well plus no clutches to wear out.
You're most welcome it was brought to you by idle time owing to my retirement! Anyway RWD on these cars with any LSD is a gas, and has to be tried to be fully appreciated and in the "right" conditions. If you convert the car to run onnramp to offramp you'd never know the difference but in any competitive style driving you would.

It's amazing with how few "improvements" these can be transformed into cheaper but still moderately competitive versions of their more pedigreed cousins of the same 911 platform. Sorta, kinda.

So yeah, I wish I could still tailwag daily in canyons too! Oh well,now they are but fond memories. Cheers.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?