Sponsored by:

Another one bites the dust.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2021, 08:10 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,461 Likes on 1,822 Posts

Sorry, im a samsung/andoid kinda guy.

My phone has plenty of memory. The issue is since the cameras r really good they use a ton of memory. We r running 30 min sessions and i cant just reach up and turn it on and off while zooming around the track.
Old 08-29-2021, 08:17 AM
tommelton
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 89 Posts

My best lap at VIR is 2.08.520 in my 97 M3. Granted it is a BMW CCA club race car - Prepared class on either Hoosiers or Hankook, both DOT rated. I have loved watching your thread on the swap. Keep it up at VIR - times will only get better.
Old 08-29-2021, 09:21 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 468 Posts
Default If you still there today got get it

Go for it. You will only get better. I’m extremely glad the car is holding well, you are a helluva of a mechanic.
Old 08-29-2021, 10:49 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,886 Likes on 2,217 Posts

Originally Posted by De Jeeper

My phone has plenty of memory. The issue is since the cameras r really good they use a ton of memory. We r running 30 min sessions and i cant just reach up and turn it on and off while zooming around the track.
I hear you. I have a Go-Pro that I put in the car on the harness bar and barely have used it on the track. When I think about turning it on, I am already buckled in and can't reach it. One of these days.
Old 08-29-2021, 11:29 AM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,845 Likes on 1,176 Posts

I use Track Addict on my Galaxy S10 and it's fine on 30 minute sessions. I put in a 64GB micro SD card and set Track Addict to record to that. No problems at all, even with 4 or 5 sessions. I download the sessions off my phone to my laptop when I get home and erase the sessions from the phone. I just got a 256G micro SD card so I can keep some sessions on the phone.
I also use a standalone 10Hz GPS receiver which is more accurate that the phone's GPS. Mine is called a Qstarz 818XT.
I also use a bluetooth OBD2 reader to get engine data into Track Addict. Mine's called an OBDlink LX. It can't read oil temp, because oil temp isn't an OBD2 value it's a Porsche custom value.

Other than oil temp this is a great setup, it's cheap and effective.
I would like to find a sturdier windshield mount. The one I have is a good Panavise mount, and it still vibrates all over the place.

That's a great session at VIR, I want to get there some day. Maybe next year. The big three I want to run are NJMP, VIR, and Watkins Glen.

Last edited by theprf; 08-29-2021 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-29-2021, 12:06 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by theprf
I use Track Addict on my Galaxy S10 and it's fine on 30 minute sessions. I put in a 64GB micro SD card and set Track Addict to record to that. No problems at all, even with 4 or 5 sessions. I download the sessions off my phone to my laptop when I get home and erase the sessions from the phone. I just got a 256G micro SD card so I can keep some sessions on the phone.
I also use a standalone 10Hz GPS receiver which is more accurate that the phone's GPS. Mine is called a Qstarz 818XT.
I also use a bluetooth OBD2 reader to get engine data into Track Addict. Mine's called an OBDlink LX. It can't read oil temp, because oil temp isn't an OBD2 value it's a Porsche custom value.

Other than oil temp this is a great setup, it's cheap and effective.
I would like to find a sturdier windshield mount. The one I have is a good Panavise mount, and it still vibrates all over the place.

That's a great session at VIR, I want to get there some day. Maybe next year. The big three I want to run are NJMP, VIR, and Watkins Glen.

Njmp is basically my home track and im deff doing watkins again. If i do vir it will be late sept/oct. So if we can sync schedules and maybe get the zbomb to travel we will have a good group.

Good info in the camera set up. I figure ill get all that suff in order over the winter. I had to get the newest phone so no sd card. Maybe ill get the one one fixed and just use that?

I have a seasucker suction mount. Very rigid but a little pricey.

i may turn in the camera for the next session.
The following users liked this post:
ScottBLEGO (09-06-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 12:12 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tommelton
My best lap at VIR is 2.08.520 in my 97 M3. Granted it is a BMW CCA club race car - Prepared class on either Hoosiers or Hankook, both DOT rated. I have loved watching your thread on the swap. Keep it up at VIR - times will only get better.

Thats fast. A guy in the group got promoted and he was running 2.13 in a newish M3. they gots *****.

the other faster guys in my group r running around 2.23 so im not that far off the pace for my first trip here. Many of those guys have faster cars and many more days here but im pretty sure i am slow because of the driver.

Originally Posted by 3/98 911 coupe
Go for it. You will only get better. I’m extremely glad the car is holding well, you are a helluva of a mechanic.
thx, the goal today is to run consistant, even if its at 2.29. But i would like to get down to 2.25.
Old 08-29-2021, 07:01 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

She held together just fine. Finished the day with a smooth session. Not my fastest but did 6 of 8 laps within 1 sec. i was really working on being consistant.

So this is my fastest lap. I was getting pushed by an older bmw m3 v8. Had to really push the turns so he didnt catch me in the straight. Eventually i made a mistake and i let him by.

At one point the dash said 103* so i feel like a burt tatertot but i have to load a go 7hrs for home.

Old 08-29-2021, 07:46 PM
hbdunn
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 402 Posts

I think its been said that Watkins and VIR are similar lap times, how did it compare for you?

I'm doing thunderbolt on 10/14-15, will be first time there.
Old 08-29-2021, 08:11 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,631 Likes on 2,101 Posts

Good to see you out there giving it Hell and having fun!!

To me, your car is better than a "real GT3 "...
The following users liked this post:
TexSquirrel (08-29-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 08:40 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 245 Posts

Thx guys. So the car is deff faster but its still has similar powerband characteristics. If u drop below 4k rpm its dogish. I just need to get 500rmp faster in a couple curves. Its nice that i dont get walked away from un the straights.

The other thing u need to look at is the car as a whole. Porsche did a very good job at matching components to make the car better then the sum of its parts. Although u can swap in almost any gt3 part the car really shines as a package

Good morning from VIR

Car looks great

Sounds like you did a great job
Old 08-30-2021, 10:08 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by hbdunn
I think its been said that Watkins and VIR are similar lap times, how did it compare for you?

I'm doing thunderbolt on 10/14-15, will be first time there.
Who r u running with at njmp? They r both fun tracks but i think i like thunderbolt better.

I never timed a lap at watkins and it would have been slow anyways as i blew the motor my first day there. Ill deff be back next year with something to prove.

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Good to see you out there giving it Hell and having fun!!

To me, your car is better than a "real GT3 "...
Deff better to me because i built it. Oh i gave it hell the third day, in what felt like hell. It was a trial in fire not by fire. I ran the ac all day even with the windows down on the track.

I dont think i saw a single standard 996 mk1 or 2 and im guessing that was for the best. Also after talking with the newer cayman owners they r dealing with high oil temps too even with remote coolers. Its just an on going issue throughout the last 20 some years.
Old 08-30-2021, 10:23 AM
JP_Gervs
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

Man that looks like one hell of a weekend. I’m really enjoying following this thread, and I’m glad to see lots of you guys are in the NE. I’m going to NJMP (Lightning) this Friday 9/3 for my first event ever, it’s a full day of class/instruction and (4) 20 min sessions of progressive paced laps. Then I’ll be there again 11/6-7 with PCA with an in-car instructor. I felt the paced laps are a good start, because I am still trying to assess my risk tolerance of how hard I want to push the car. Great thread and keep it up. Car is shaping up to be great!
The following 2 users liked this post by JP_Gervs:
GC996 (08-30-2021), TheUnscented (09-16-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 10:26 AM
hbdunn
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 402 Posts

Who r u running with at njmp? They r both fun tracks but i think i like thunderbolt better.

I never timed a lap at watkins and it would have been slow anyways as i blew the motor my first day there. Ill deff be back next year with something to prove.
Schattenbaum PCA Have not done an event with them but one of my previous instructors is going. It's also right in between doing Palmer the end of September and Summit the first of November. Summit is with Metro PCA and it is usually lightly attended with 6 25 minute sessions a day.

Old 08-30-2021, 10:43 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JP_Gervs
Man that looks like one hell of a weekend. I’m really enjoying following this thread, and I’m glad to see lots of you guys are in the NE. I’m going to NJMP (Lightning) this Friday 9/3 for my first event ever, it’s a full day of class/instruction and (4) 20 min sessions of progressive paced laps. Then I’ll be there again 11/6-7 with PCA with an in-car instructor. I felt the paced laps are a good start, because I am still trying to assess my risk tolerance of how hard I want to push the car. Great thread and keep it up. Car is shaping up to be great!
Best advice u ever got was to just drive the car as hard as u want not as had as it can be driven. Spending the day learning the track will pay dividens for the next event.

Originally Posted by hbdunn
Schattenbaum PCA Have not done an event with them but one of my previous instructors is going. It's also right in between doing Palmer the end of September and Summit the first of November. Summit is with Metro PCA and it is usually lightly attended with 6 25 minute sessions a day.

All good events from what i have heard. I want to do the Delaware pca in oct at njmp but i think i may be out of money this year.

Quick Reply: Another one bites the dust.