Sponsored by:

Prices Keep Drifting Up

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2022, 01:20 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,725 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by brontosaurus;[url=tel:18124650
18124650[/url]]​​​​​​The Carrera is not traction limited.
I agree with this. At least in my 99 Cab, I cannot lose traction, even with WOT in first gear and turning.
Old 05-04-2022, 03:26 PM
peterp
Drifting

Received 751 Likes on 453 Posts

The "right" 996 is going to be different for everyone. It's important to know the options, and the pluses and minuses tradeoffs for each, because I think, fairly uniquely to the 996, options (particularly coupe/cab, 6sp/Tip, AWD/2wd) make a huge difference in how any given 996 drives.

The reason I'm so hyper focused on weight is because our first 996 was a C4 Tip 996.1 Coupe bought CPO with only a few thousand miles on it. It didn't have full leather or 3-spoke or any deviations in the Savannah Beige interior. I honestly didn't love that car at all and the interior felt cheap. It was my wife's car (hence Tip AWD) and she loved it, which is what mattered. More than a decade after that fist 996.1 she was still talking about how great it was, so I bought another one, this time a Coupe/2wd/6sp 996.1 -- I didn't have high expectations because I didn't like the driving experience of our old Tip/AWD, but I was absolutely blown away by this one and it had full leather and 3-spoke and deviating colors from a sea of beige so it felt amazing inside. I literally didn't want to stop the test drive and bought it immediately without negotiating price. That's how different the cars with different options are to drive.

I'm not saying any one is better than another, just that they are all different and it's important to know the differences. I wouldn't choose awd or Tip for my needs, but those might absolutely be the best options for someone else with different needs.
The following 6 users liked this post by peterp:
Argeo (05-11-2022), brontosaurus (05-04-2022), EVOMMM (05-04-2022), GC996 (05-04-2022), redlineblue (05-04-2022), Type65 (05-04-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-04-2022, 03:29 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,876 Likes on 2,212 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp
The "right" 996 is going to be different for everyone. It's important to know the options, and the pluses and minuses tradeoffs for each, because I think, fairly uniquely to the 996, options (particularly coupe/cab, 6sp/Tip, AWD/2wd) make a huge difference in how any given 996 drives.

The reason I'm so hyper focused on weight is because our first 996 was a C4 Tip 996.1 Coupe bought CPO with only a few thousand miles on it. It didn't have full leather or 3-spoke or any deviations in the Savannah Beige interior. I honestly didn't love that car at all and the interior felt cheap. It was my wife's car (hence Tip AWD) and she loved it, which is what mattered. More than a decade after that fist 996.1 she was still talking about how great it was, so I bought another one, this time a Coupe/2wd/6sp 996.1 -- I didn't have high expectations because I didn't like the driving experience of our old Tip/AWD, but I was absolutely blown away by this one and it had full leather and 3-spoke and deviating colors from a sea of beige so it felt amazing inside. I literally didn't want to stop the test drive and bought it immediately without negotiating price. That's how different the cars with different options are to drive.

I'm not saying any one is better than another, just that they are all different and it's important to know the differences. I wouldn't choose awd or Tip for my needs, but those might absolutely be the best options for someone else with different needs.
Amen!
Old 05-04-2022, 03:40 PM
pulpo
Pro

Received 369 Likes on 211 Posts

I can start to add that my posts are tongue-in-cheek at the top of each one, I guess.
Old 05-04-2022, 03:43 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,876 Likes on 2,212 Posts

Originally Posted by pulpo
I can start to add that my posts are tongue-in-cheek at the top of each one, I guess.
It's all in good fun. Don't change anything.
The following users liked this post:
pulpo (05-04-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 03:47 PM
MBH911
Pro

Received 268 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp

Great post. For anyone reading this who’s in the market for a 996 I’ll add my perspective.

Before pulling the trigger on one, definitely drive several and figure out which driving characteristics really matter most to you. Also think hard about what matters most to you - aesthetics, or your actual driving experience.

I’m on my second 996.1 after selling my ‘00 996 manual Cab at a great profit thanks to the jump in price over the last few years. Before buying this one (a MY99 6 speed C2 coupe) I got to drive a 996 C4, C4S, and the C2 coupe.

I love the looks of the wide body, but I don’t like the 996.2 headlights at all.

I liked the idea of getting a C4, but the C2 was a more sublime, nimble, pure driver in comparison.

There are so many things to consider. For some, the Tiptronic really is the best choice. For some, they actually plan on driving in all kinds of weather and AWD is worth it. For some, the incredible performance of a Turbo is what they really want; and even need.
For some, it’s about bragging rights, status, etc., and that will drive the choice.

Last edited by MBH911; 05-04-2022 at 03:49 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by MBH911:
GC996 (05-04-2022), Icelia (05-05-2022), Lady Silver (05-04-2022), peterp (05-04-2022), Type65 (05-04-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 04:33 PM
somethingclever
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GC996
It's just good to see that the market has recognized the all-around versatility of the C4s. Yeah, they are expensive today. Who knows near-term with an eventual recession where prices go on all models, but the genie is out of the bottle on awareness and interest in the 996. Add in all of the aftermarket solutions to prevent and solve m96 isues (LN IMS, UAOS, UIDS, etc), and we have a damn good durable and dependable car.

Over time demand will rise for all 996 variations as they become more effectively defined, with no new supply being created. Right now very few know of all the variations and attributes. They only know whats put on Yutube in large quantity and that's C4S, turbo, GT3 and the 996.1 C2. YouTube videos will broaden and so will demand for all variations.

Remember a few years ago when there were only a couple of 996 videos and they only talk about the headlights and ims?!

Crazy how far we have come.
I sort of stumbled on to my recently acquired C4S, and am so glad I did. I love love love the way it drives (aside from the crap shifter which I'm addressing) Aside from the weird stance which I'm also taking care of, the longer I look at this car the more I'm impressed with it's lines/style. I paid $33,000 last month for an 02 with 116,000 miles, most of the spendy/scary stuff (IMS, clutch) taken care of. I feel like I got a good deal and the car is absolutely worth it.
The following 3 users liked this post by somethingclever:
GC996 (05-05-2022), Mike Murphy (05-05-2022), TheChunkNorris (05-06-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 04:54 PM
Icelia
Instructor

Received 170 Likes on 84 Posts

The more I drive my '99 C4 the more I love it.
Yet the comments like above, do make me wonder what a C2 would feel like.
I am tempted to make the conversion to a C2.

Awesome cars, and I am more in love than the first day that is for sure.

Prices can go up or down, I am happy!

The following 3 users liked this post by Icelia:
GC996 (05-05-2022), peterp (05-06-2022), work_truck (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 05:25 PM
work_truck
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 337 Posts

I drove a 2000 C2 first, (and put an offer on it) before finding my C4S, the C2 felt completely different, not in a bad or better way, just different. Much sportier IMO and the lighter steering helped reiterate the poor engine placement
The following 2 users liked this post by work_truck:
GC996 (05-06-2022), peterp (05-06-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 07:27 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,626 Likes on 2,099 Posts

I see the 996 Tiptronic transmission poo-pooed on all the time. I'd like to give a different view-point on it that is unpopular and against the norm, and is a more technical view.

I have grown up with Cowboy boots and 4-speed transmissions, most all my daily drivers were manual trans, the auto's were an unnecessary expense.

Being the Drag Racing world in my early years I have driven all sorts of high tech transmissions. Doug Nash 4-5 speeds, Liberty clutch-less 5-speeds, Tremec , Jerico , Lennco...

That said, the "Torque Converter" used to drive automatic transmissions is a marvelous technical device, and is used to drive the Powerglides (two speeds)and TM400 (3 speeds) to faster acceleration than manuals in most drag cars in the last two-three decades.

The biggest problem with a manual trans on a high horsepower car is the loading and unloading of torque on the suspension during shifting, it can upset the suspension/traction, on the auto's/torque converters the transition is much smoother during gear shifting and doesn't upset the suspension/traction.Not much of a problem on low horsepower cars.

My daily driven 996 is a ZF Tip, and in 15 years of ownership I always drive in manual mode, I never let it shift its self, just part of the connection to the car, and is so easy to do so why not?

IMO the PDK is the ultimate transmission with the best of characteristics from either manual of auto. It is a manual transmission with lightening fast shifts, and can mimic the auto trans in ease of daily driving and precision clutch action. but doesn't have the "marvelously technical, torque converter device" in it like the true Tips offer.

I also have a 6-speed 99 Cab and a 6-speed 02 Boxster 3.2 that I got for my sons to play/bond with, and driving them is fun for a little while, while technically speaking the 6-speed manual is a bit of a turd, it does bring out some primal feelings due to the simplicity and connection, but I get a more advanced technical connection to the manually shifted Tiptronic 996..

So, I don't "poo-poo" the 996 Tip........I drive it....

Last edited by Porschetech3; 05-05-2022 at 07:44 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
abossana (05-06-2022), GC996 (05-06-2022), NYoutftr (05-06-2022), Optionman1 (05-05-2022), schroederhc1 (05-05-2022), wdb (05-06-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-05-2022, 10:39 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,725 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
I see the 996 Tiptronic transmission poo-pooed on all the time. I'd like to give a different view-point on it that is unpopular and against the norm, and is a more technical view.

I have grown up with Cowboy boots and 4-speed transmissions, most all my daily drivers were manual trans, the auto's were an unnecessary expense.

Being the Drag Racing world in my early years I have driven all sorts of high tech transmissions. Doug Nash 4-5 speeds, Liberty clutch-less 5-speeds, Tremec , Jerico , Lennco...

That said, the "Torque Converter" used to drive automatic transmissions is a marvelous technical device, and is used to drive the Powerglides (two speeds)and TM400 (3 speeds) to faster acceleration than manuals in most drag cars in the last two-three decades.

The biggest problem with a manual trans on a high horsepower car is the loading and unloading of torque on the suspension during shifting, it can upset the suspension/traction, on the auto's/torque converters the transition is much smoother during gear shifting and doesn't upset the suspension/traction.Not much of a problem on low horsepower cars.

My daily driven 996 is a ZF Tip, and in 15 years of ownership I always drive in manual mode, I never let it shift its self, just part of the connection to the car, and is so easy to do so why not?

IMO the PDK is the ultimate transmission with the best of characteristics from either manual of auto. It is a manual transmission with lightening fast shifts, and can mimic the auto trans in ease of daily driving and precision clutch action. but doesn't have the "marvelously technical, torque converter device" in it like the true Tips offer.

I also have a 6-speed 99 Cab and a 6-speed 02 Boxster 3.2 that I got for my sons to play/bond with, and driving them is fun for a little while, while technically speaking the 6-speed manual is a bit of a turd, it does bring out some primal feelings due to the simplicity and connection, but I get a more advanced technical connection to the manually shifted Tiptronic 996..

So, I don't "poo-poo" the 996 Tip........I drive it....
No TH-350s in your day? I agree, drag racing cars from the 70’s through the 90’s we’re all autos. Fastest 1/4-mile times and consistent times as well. Manual trans could not easily deal with 700 ft-lbs of torque back then.
GC996 (05-06-2022)
Old 05-06-2022, 01:50 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,626 Likes on 2,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
No TH-350s in your day? I agree, drag racing cars from the 70’s through the 90’s we’re all autos. Fastest 1/4-mile times and consistent times as well. Manual trans could not easily deal with 700 ft-lbs of torque back then.
Yes, there were manually shifted TH-350s , as well as manually shifted c4's, c6's , FMX's, Torque-Flights ect. but they all gave way to the popularity ( and thus the more technically advancements) of the PowerGlides and TH-400s, with highly sophisticated Torque Converters. These new Torque Converters are bolt together/tuneable/changeable/ billet/lock-up highly sophisticated and can cost ten's of thousands of dollars.

I just left them out as I was trying to condense...without rambling on about the "good ole days"..lol
Mike Murphy (05-06-2022)
Old 05-06-2022, 04:38 AM
pulpo
Pro

Received 369 Likes on 211 Posts

PDK and other dual clutch transmissions are definitely the transmission of choice for racing.

Just for casual driving, however, it makes little difference to me. If I can have two, I'd for sure have one of each. But if I'm allowed only one I'll take the manual over the tip, or even the PDK.
Old 05-06-2022, 07:03 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,134 Likes on 983 Posts

Originally Posted by Icelia
The more I drive my '99 C4 the more I love it.
Yet the comments like above, do make me wonder what a C2 would feel like.
I am tempted to make the conversion to a C2.

Awesome cars, and I am more in love than the first day that is for sure.

Prices can go up or down, I am happy!
I don't know where you are in Florida but you're welcome to drive my .2 C2, I'm in Miami.
Old 05-06-2022, 07:09 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,134 Likes on 983 Posts

Though I've never driven a Tip car, I will say that owning a DSG VW changed my mind about automated manual transmissions. My old CC had a Frankenstein K04 turbo upgrade and transmission software flash... it shifted smoothly and quickly. It was a mom's car indeed but man it really opened my eye to that type of set up.

Quick Reply: Prices Keep Drifting Up