Prices Keep Drifting Up

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 07:10 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 675 Likes on 467 Posts
Default Awesome.

Originally Posted by Optionman1
My daughter and son-in-law live a few miles away from the Oasis. They drive a DeLorean so you can't miss them, LOL.
We did not see them, but there was a guy in a 4 seat modified sling shot. I was talking to him and he said that this 4 seater was special because it was customized to be a 4 seater. Anyway he owns the company that rents them. That is stealing $400 daily rent on something that cost at
most $40,000, a hell of a business if you get enough people to pay the price. A regular 2 seater sling shot cost about $23,000. I told my wife about it and said, if you want to drive and ride one I’ll rent one in Houston for the weekend,
But we will drive the wheels out of it.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:15 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default Long lead times at three tax office

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
If you make it to Sugar Land this Saturday, there might be 3 or 4.
@cun65458 might be there.
How about @Z996Z, are you going this Saturday?

Patch up the brakes, slap some Texas plates on her and head on down.
Right now here in Harris county Texas The issue is that due to the pandemic when you buy an out of state car you have to make an appointment to go pay taxes register and get the plates. Anyway I bought two months ago my appointment is May11.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:26 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,148 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Took me a year to register my 997.2 in NJ after buying it just as the pandemic started. Sat for a year and appreciated about 25% while I waited to pay a stupid amount of sales tax and gets some plates. Worth the wait.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:31 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...1-carrera-187/

Over $30k after fees. Year ago maybe low twenties?
Old 04-14-2021, 07:34 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default Registration wait

I just mentioned that because the Texas Amnesty for up to date registration ends April 17, I don’t envy you in NY. I lived in Manhattan for a while, cost of living over there Is a killer,
Old 04-14-2021, 07:38 PM
nrp3
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by 3/98 911 coupe
I’m sorry you were not able to capitalize on the last 21 years. I just turned 53 yesterday and have formally been retired since 2013. Long term stock market goes up. I started investing since I was 16 and my goal retirement by 50. As you can see I have achieved more than I planned, Anyway by having traveled to over 100 countries around the world and doing my own investments management I have learned a few things. 1. When you go to Rome you do like the romans. 2. When your real estate agent tells you , you are approved for a $750,000 loan you buy a $300,000 home. Finally learning from others mistakes, is not what you make, it’s what you keep and do with it. Two great book reads 1. The millionaire next door. 2. Ramsay’s total money makeover formulate your plan from learnings from the two and you should be golden. Anyway regarding whatever the government does we can not fight it, but we can learn adapt and plan accordingly. Going to a beer garden and Italian coal fired pizza joint tonight here in Austin, my birthday party week continues,

My rebel day, drinking IPAs wearing KIZZ shirt.

A fellow Porsche owner At the lake.

That Electric ⚡️ Jellyfish IPA awesome. Beware of the high ABV.

If you ever come to Lake Travis by Austin Texas the placid for three view is Oasis brew house. The beers are ok, The food is weak and overpriced but that’s the best view of y to of lake,
Only 6.5% ? I love trying different beers while on the road. Actually looks like a nice place to visit. If we can’t go to the UK this summer, we’re headed south, FL, New Orleans, someplace. Time to get out.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:42 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,703 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Originally Posted by Yogibara;[url=tel:17366311
17366311[/url]]I agree. I just got mine today and I love it. The top doesn’t go down and it need a butt load of work but it’s still a Porsche and it’s mine.

Yogibara, you crack me up! Loved your YouTube video on your EBay auction. Glad to have you here.
The following users liked this post:
Yogibara (04-15-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 07:48 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

@Yogibara Anyone ever mention you look like Peter Falk?...Nice Photo, nice buy
Yogibara (04-15-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 07:52 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default A lot of craft here in Texas

Originally Posted by nrp3
Only 6.5% ? I love trying different beers while on the road. Actually looks like a nice place to visit. If we can’t go to the UK this summer, we’re headed south, FL, New Orleans, someplace. Time to get out.
These two are some of my favorites from ST Arnold the oldest brewery in Texas, it’s actually in Houston, 7.1 ABV.

Traveling with me.
They are for me like the American Express Card never leave home without them. They just have so many crafts here in Texas that most bars are limited to how many beers they can have. Anyway here around the Austin area there are a lot of BBQ places where you can bring your own. Things are definitely different in the Lone Star state.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:39 PM
philbert996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,120 Likes on 526 Posts

True
I bought almost the exact car but with 75K miles for $20k last August.

And that was from a Porsche dealership that had “serviced” the car and installed 4 new Michelin PS2s.

At the time I thought I might have overpaid 🤷‍♂️
Optionman1 (04-14-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 09:36 PM
moosetaco
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanH.
The problem is, I've been concerned about that since 2010 after the first round of government stepping in and manipulating policy which has led to 10 years of stupid cheap debt and thus, hugely levered companies. Here we are today with the government flexing its muscles more than ever and the question is, in this economic experiment, who is right about the new world of fiscal policy? My finance degree says this is all wrong but I've also missed out on a tremendous amount of wealth accumulation by sitting out of the markets expecting to be right.

Point being is that it could be another 10 years or maybe even never (unlikely) before this comes to roost and if you're trying to time the market to catch the high, you may end up like me and miss out on a lot of the upside (that shouldn't exist). And, since we're talking about cars, a lot of the enjoyment that they bring in owning them. As with my home, I try not to look at it as an investment and instead, just take any upside that I happen to capitalize on as an unexpected gift.
Very true. Fortunately, I too have been investing in equities and real estate from my late teens. I think the key is to stay vested for the long term, but its also smart to build up the old war chest and establish a cash position at the market levels we are seeing today. Full disclosure, I'm hoping something stabilizes or decreases the current 996 market. After selling my car a few weeks ago, I really cannot think of another vehicle I want to replace my previous 996 with. So more than likely, I'll be looking to purchase another this winter once we get settled in out in NC. I'm just nervous about getting priced out the 911 market in the interim.

Yes, sold for more than it would have last year, but seems a little light on the price for what seemed like a really desirable build. I was a confirm button away from out bidding Pizzaman12. When I saw how much he paid for the 996 Turbo he bought last year I backed off. Figured his pockets were much deeper than mine. Plus, I did just sell mine trying to be responsible. SMH
Old 04-14-2021, 10:30 PM
Yogibara
Rennlist Member

Received 581 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
If you make it to Sugar Land this Saturday, there might be 3 or 4.
@cun65458 might be there.
How about @Z996Z, are you going this Saturday?

Patch up the brakes, slap some Texas plates on her and head on down.
Man don’t tempt me. I’m wrestling with the top right now. I’d love to take it down.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:30 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,786 Likes on 2,164 Posts

Moosetaco,

You will be able to find one for a good price. All you have to do is currently stay off of BAT and start looking and networking elsewhere. Nothing wrong with BAT. Love to tune in to see what's moving. However, BAT presently is great if you are a seller. May not be as advantageous at the moment if you are a buyer, because we are in a bidding war environment. If markets change, and there is no bidding war, you may be able to find something for a reasonable price. No different than the investment or real estate markets. Sometime it better to buy in the private markets, and sometimes in the public markets.

Not certain where you are located, but all you have to do is get involved with your local PCA region at a few events and you will be surprised who you meet and what you find. Make sure you understand that there are different groups of interests within the local region. Some do DE, some autocross, some concourse, some rallies, some just the touring, coffee, wine, food events. Obviously you will find cars set up for the track at DE and Autocross events. Shiny beautiful cars at concourse events, and cars of all types at tours, rally, food events.

Another opportunity for you to find a 996 is to get to know everyone at the local Porsche Indy shops and get in their network. They always know who is looking to sell. In many cases they have cork boards in their shops with cars and parts for sale by customers. They also know who has serviced the he'll out of their car and who hasn't. It's kinda an unofficial PPI. Thats what you want.

All you have to be is in the network and you will find anything you want as long as you are visible and let it be known.

Just a couple of thoughts to sway you back to 996 heaven.

Last edited by GC996; 04-14-2021 at 10:32 PM.
moosetaco (04-14-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 10:38 PM
Yogibara
Rennlist Member

Received 581 Likes on 246 Posts

Right now here in Harris county Texas The issue is that due to the pandemic when you buy an out of state car you have to make an appointment to go pay taxes register and get the plates. Anyway I bought two months ago my appointment is May11.
Been there got the T-shirt. This is my second out of state car I brought back to Harris County. I got pulled over once because I was lacking plates. Luckily the deputy understood and let me go.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:00 AM
RyanH.
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 162 Posts

I’m sorry you were not able to capitalize on the last 21 years.
Well, 21 years ago I wasn't even old enough to drive so I don't think the stock market was on my mind, definitely had other things occupying that space though
Elumere (04-19-2021)

Quick Reply: Prices Keep Drifting Up