Sponsored by:

UAOS install/tips/tricks

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2022, 07:58 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,622 Likes on 2,097 Posts

Originally Posted by somethingclever
lol, no my stress is from having my car worked on by supposed Porsche experts and feeling like they may, at this minute, be F'ing it up.
To be clear, I have no anxiety about your kit, Skip, nor the support you give to the community.
Originally Posted by somethingclever
I'll DM you details. I'm not trying to trash this place publicly which is why I haven't named them. I'm also not trying to have you call them and get all frosty with them before I pick up my car
I would not call them unless they needed "help" , until after you have picked up you car. Thanks for clarifying where your stress is coming from , I hope you understand where MY stress is coming from..

I expect for non-professionals to complain of the difficulty,( especially from the "bitch bolt" on the 996.2 that is well documented here), but for a professional to complain really pisses me off !!

And the "bracket" you refered to in the PM that needed "trimming" is the aluminum change-over re-location bracket is the only bracket included in the kit with the two mounting screws..

The bracket is "laser cut precision" by a professional metal fabrication company . I buy them 200 at a time and never had one "not fit".

Yes please post a picture of the bracket when you get the car back so we can all discuss and have a good laugh at, why it was a big deal and was so much harder...

Last edited by Porschetech3; 09-15-2022 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-15-2022, 08:23 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Here is a picture of a "Laser cut re-location bracket" out of the pile that has caused all this fuss ........

Like I said, I have never had one of these "not fit and needed trimming" , and if it turns out to be the case I'll issue a TSB , and if not I will expect a phone number to call...

Laser cut change-over valve re-location bracket
Old 09-15-2022, 09:06 PM
hbdunn
Burning Brakes

Received 740 Likes on 400 Posts

Would they have tried to install the bracket between the hose fitting and the intake? Directions on page 1 may be a little clearer with the word and instead of in.

Install the Brake Booster fitting between the UAOS bracket in the intake
Old 09-15-2022, 10:00 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hbdunn
Would they have tried to install the bracket between the hose fitting and the intake? Directions on page 1 may be a little clearer with the word and instead of in.

Install the Brake Booster fitting between the UAOS bracket in the intake
I have no idea....

I almost didn't even put that line in the instructions at all thinking " surely no-one will try to put the brake booster fitting on top of the bracket ?" ...

A little common since is expected whether professional or not...lol
Old 09-16-2022, 10:30 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,830 Likes on 925 Posts

Unfortunately, common sense is not that common.
Old 09-16-2022, 07:54 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by plpete84
Unfortunately, common sense is not that common.
This is so true, and even getting worse in this day and age I think...

My older sister was the "brain" of the family, she was Valedictorian in high school and went on to write for Encyclopedia Britannica and the Dept of Agriculture, her husband was Editor for NYT for 25 years but unfortunately neither of them had what we call "common sense" ..lol I think that trend is getting worse in todays times...

Common sense comes from staying grounded in your experiences and not living in a bubble..
The following users liked this post:
wildbilly32 (09-17-2022)
Old 09-23-2022, 06:41 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Got a call from a Porsche Indy in Arizona last week who was very complimentary of the UAOS that a customer and bought and brought in to have installed. As an Engineer he was extremely impressed with the design and quality and wanted to know a little more about some of the special functions of the UAOS. ( like the Optical Microprocessor Infra-Red Sensor in the Accumulator)..and details of how the design works and the many advantages...

He also said he completed the install in 5 hours taking his time and could cut that way down on the next install. This was on a 996.2 and he didn't even take the drivers side intake off or mess with the "bitch bolt". he said he just lower the engine and worked over the top to do the install.

It's good to hear from people like him instead of the ones "bitching" about how hard it is..lol

His shop is Ken Zuffenhausen Motors INC. Scottsdale Az. 480-991-2377 if anyone in the area wants someone to do a UAOS install, he is the one I would recommend..
The following 5 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
e30rapidic (10-08-2022), GC996 (09-23-2022), hkovalcik (09-23-2022), JohnCA58 (09-23-2022), wildbilly32 (09-23-2022)
Old 09-23-2022, 08:44 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

FYI, Ken has a top flight shop. Small and knowledgeable.
The following users liked this post:
Porschetech3 (09-24-2022)
Old 09-23-2022, 11:13 PM
somethingclever
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts

The Indy that installed mine actually treated me fairly (imo) in the end. Just kept it forever

took it to the track today and after the 4th session (as I started driving harder) I came in with smoke coming out of the engine bay. Looks like there is a small amount of oil spraying from somewhere around the fill tube/ accumulator (?) area- it ended up costing the serpentine belt/alternator enough that the alternator stopped charging (at least I hope that was the cause)

any usual suspects as far as connections/hoses/clamps that I should check to try to find the leak? I have another track day tomorrow and would prefer to not be leaking oil on the engine/serp belt etc
Old 09-23-2022, 11:35 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

I would clean the area real good so no oil is present, then take it for a short/hard drive and come back and look for the first sign of wetness..

The only issue I know of that has been reported similar to yours was at the " uniseal" ( a special rubber seal that fits into the oil fill tube and a brass fitting is pressed into it ) ..There was one report that the uniseal had split and was leaking a little under heavy loads ( tracking) ... The quick cure was to apply some "ultra black silicone" to the split/seal/brass connection untill a new uniseal could be installed...

If this doesn't find/fix the issue,, I would suggest a smoke test to find the leak..
Old 09-24-2022, 11:24 AM
hbdunn
Burning Brakes

Received 740 Likes on 400 Posts

Could it have been coolant? I was the one with the cracked rubber grommet but it just leaked out on top of the engine. Not hot enough there to create smoke.
Old 09-24-2022, 01:44 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hbdunn
Could it have been coolant? I was the one with the cracked rubber grommet but it just leaked out on top of the engine. Not hot enough there to create smoke.
Very possible, those little coolant lines/ connections under and next to the alternator have been the source of many an unusual leaks....

BTW There was no issue with the "Laser cut aluminum change-over valve relocation bracket" on Somethingclever's kit, the journeyman Tech was actually struggling with the "bitch bolt"...I got no idea how the finger got pointed at the Laser cut bracket...
Old 10-07-2022, 04:05 PM
dhale
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pardon me if this is the wrong forum for this, I searched the 987 technical forums and could not find a UAOS thread. I am installing this on a 987 with a softronic throttle body. Only question I have pertains to the change over valve. Is it expected that one would have to access the front of the engine and remove the alternator in order to connect the provided harness?

Thank you.

Doug Hale
Old 10-08-2022, 12:26 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dhale
Pardon me if this is the wrong forum for this, I searched the 987 technical forums and could not find a UAOS thread. I am installing this on a 987 with a softronic throttle body. Only question I have pertains to the change over valve. Is it expected that one would have to access the front of the engine and remove the alternator in order to connect the provided harness?

Thank you.

Doug Hale
Hi Doug, your fine, I will start a UAOS thread on the 987 forum soon, it was just recently added to available kits...along with 997...

If you have the UAOS Track Version you will need to install the new oil fill pipe and that requires the alternator to be removed...

The Plug-N-Play harness can plug into any change-over valve, but I usually recommend plugging into the one for the intake resonance flap..

If you need any further assistance, E-mail me at charles_brazeel@yahoo.com and I will give you my contact #..

Last edited by Porschetech3; 10-25-2022 at 07:47 AM.
Old 10-09-2022, 08:11 AM
dhale
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Much appreciated.

Thank you.

Doug

Quick Reply: UAOS install/tips/tricks