996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

UAOS install/tips/tricks

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2023, 10:38 AM
NO LIFT
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got my 996.2 back from UAOS with track drain installed...
Do I have to utilize the coolant sensor piggy back jumper wire? With the track drain option, it doesn't seem necessary.
And, started getting weird CELs and ABS warning lights. Unplugged the wiring and returned to normal and all seems fine.
Input/advice appreciated!
Old 04-07-2023, 12:30 PM
damage98MO
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by NO LIFT
Do I have to utilize the coolant sensor piggy back jumper wire? With the track drain option, it doesn't seem necessary.
And, started getting weird CELs and ABS warning lights. Unplugged the wiring and returned to normal and all seems fine.
@NO LIFT
I can't help with your q, sorry, and I know it's rude to answer a question with more questions, but I'm counting on your better nature and forgiveness🫡
How much was the installation? My Indy said that Labor for an AOS is about 950 installed, that's at his 135/hr rate. He has not done an UAOS install, but he'll do it for me, once I can afford it. Was it easier or harder to install than a stock AOS?
🙏
Old 04-07-2023, 01:12 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 297 Posts

It's about the same ,, the stock AOS is still there its just lightly modified.
I installed mine with the engine out, it eliminates a couple of the water hoses. most of its right on the motor by the throttle body.
I suspect teh hardest bit is feeding the new large line that connects to the catch can. But with engine out its easy.. LOL

The following 2 users liked this post by pdxmotorhead:
damage98MO (04-07-2023), Peter Ogden (04-07-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 06:22 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,579 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Originally Posted by NO LIFT
I would appreciate it if the UAOS warning system were left in place as designed....It was carefully designed and has saved numerous M96 engines already....

Just last week the warning system saved two m96 engines that had one their scavenge pumps accidentally installed backwards and the warning system helped to show a problem before irreparable damage was done to the engine...

I know it seems like "overkill" to have the warning system when you have the Track Drain option, but it has proven to be worthwhile...even with the Track Drain Option when accidents occur like a scavenge pumps installed backwards..

The Microprocessor Controlled Optical Infra-Red Sensor is a laboratory grade Sensor and is sensitive to water vapor or steam. There was a TSB issued recently about how to desensitize the Sensor to water vapor or steam by "indexing" it, and how to diagnose the "slow flash" that can be caused by three different systems..

Here is a link to the TSB.. https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...light=TSB+UAOS

If you need further assistance just PM me and Ill give you my contact number and happy to help ..
The following 2 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
damage98MO (04-07-2023), wdb (04-08-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 02:54 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 414 Likes on 268 Posts

@Porschetech3

Is this where these two new clamps go?

Old 04-19-2023, 03:05 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by islaTurbine
@Porschetech3

Is this where these two new clamps go?

Yes , the brass connector replaces the factory plastic one and one clamp secures it, then it is capped by the 8mm silicone cap and clamped with the second clamp...

Note :: the models that have the updated hose with " built in connector" doesn't use the brass connector , just the 8mm silicone cap and one clamp..

Last edited by Porschetech3; 04-19-2023 at 03:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
islaTurbine (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 04:20 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Yes , the brass connector replaces the factory plastic one and one clamp secures it, then it is capped by the 8mm silicone cap and clamped with the second clamp...

Note :: the models that have the updated hose with " built in connector" doesn't use the brass connector , just the 8mm silicone cap and one clamp..
Thanks. I sent you a PM when you have a moment.
Old 04-19-2023, 05:48 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 297 Posts

I installed mine per instructions without that fitting and capped the appropriate case connections, it really cleans up a bit in the engine bay getting rid of the extra hose.
Old 04-19-2023, 07:41 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by islaTurbine
Thanks. I sent you a PM when you have a moment.

Got it ..

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
I installed mine per instructions without that fitting and capped the appropriate case connections, it really cleans up a bit in the engine bay getting rid of the extra hose.
Yea, the one you are talking about is below/beside the alternator,,, the one in the pic is below the expansion tank.....some models have two of those stupid plastic connectors....the UAOS coolant by-pass kit eliminates both of them..
islaTurbine (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 08:30 PM
jandackson
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 96 Posts

Apologies if this has been asked and answered: what is the justification for eliminating the coolant to the AOS? I thought that the coolant was there to keep the water vapor from condensing and dripping back into the crankcase.
That said, I wouldn’t mind getting rid of those extra lines.
Thanks
Dan
Old 04-19-2023, 08:42 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jandackson
Apologies if this has been asked and answered: what is the justification for eliminating the coolant to the AOS? I thought that the coolant was there to keep the water vapor from condensing and dripping back into the crankcase.
That said, I wouldn’t mind getting rid of those extra lines.
Thanks
Dan

Coolant is pumped through the AOS to keep from "icing" in cold weather. in the factory AOS there is a low pressure area created inside the orifice......

In the UAOS system, this low pressure area is "moved" to near the throttle body, in a much warmer place, therefore the warm coolant is not needed and is done away with..This not only cleans up the engine bay, but eliminates several failure points..

You cannot/should not eliminate the coolant lines on the factory AOS ...

Old 04-19-2023, 09:22 PM
jandackson
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 96 Posts

That makes sense to me now @Porschetech3 I will be installing mine on the 4.0 soon and running (at least) a full sump of oil!
As always, thanks for the support.
Old 04-19-2023, 09:56 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jandackson
That makes sense to me now @Porschetech3 I will be installing mine on the 4.0 soon and running (at least) a full sump of oil!
As always, thanks for the support.

You will like that 4.0 liter, I drove Marks the other day.....
jandackson (04-20-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 10:20 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

I thought I had pretty nifty mechanical skillz but my first time with the AOS has been a bit of a headache.

Is the UAOS in my pic inserted far enough into the block? For the life of me I can’t get it inserted any further. I thoroughly cleaned the port and surrounding area beforehand and used a little bit of engine oil to lubricate the seal, but this is as far as she goes with the side attachment bolts fully seated.

Old 04-19-2023, 11:41 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Yea that plenty far enough...

Quick Reply: UAOS install/tips/tricks