996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

UAOS install/tips/tricks

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2022, 08:35 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 964 Posts

I think your Indy sucks if they install it wrong you will have more serious problems
find a recommended installer pm skip he has a list
The following users liked this post:
Porschetech3 (09-15-2022)
Old 09-14-2022, 10:07 PM
Peter Ogden
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by somethingclever
Those of you with .2 MT who had an independant install it- how many hours were you charged?

--Skip does the track drainback significantly complicate the install?
It sounds like your independent has never even replaced a standard AOS in a 996 before. I am an amateur and the first time I replaced my AOS with another standard AOS, it took me a couple of days. When I replaced the AOS with the UAOS I did it in one afternoon, along with the drainback. I didn't need to trim the UAOS to fit either!
Old 09-14-2022, 10:11 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 786 Likes on 504 Posts

My indi put the UAOS on in a day and he has probably never even changed a regular AOS. I printed out the Pelican article about removing the OEM and Skip's tricks and hints list and tossed them in the box. He had a few questions of Skip but it didn't seem a big deal. I shook his hand when I picked the car up and he admitted it was not easy but doable. I would have to dig the bill out to check on hours charged.

It works because I checked the vacuum when I got home.

My car is a .2 MT
Old 09-15-2022, 05:44 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,579 Likes on 2,074 Posts

My .2 c4s manual is at the indy shop for the third day, for the UAOS install. They quoted me 8 hrs and I said f'it ok maybe Skip thinks experienced techs should be able to do it in 4 but this shop doesn't usually mess with 'aftermarket' parts, so I figured ok. Checked in with them yesterday on how it's going and I got a not very re-assuring "Slow, this is a bear to install" Said it would be ready today, but I just checked and they said "nope...this kit is a royal pain to install. we had to literally trim th OAS just to get the bolts to fit in. This is not an easy or fasty install at all"
Now I'm worried. And I'm worried they're going to try to charge me even more than what they quoted.
So I ask:
Those of you with .2 MT who had an independant install it- how many hours were you charged?

--Skip does the track drainback significantly complicate the install?
Nothing about the UAOS install is complicated unless you have never installed an AOS on 996 before,( which means you haven't repaired very many 996's because it is one of he most failure prone parts on the car..)

The Track Drain-back install is literally same as replacing the oil fill tube..

Kris Murphy is not a mechanic but he had replaced his AOS 3 times before he got the UAOS and he installed it in couple of hours..( 996.1) Then he did several more installs more others..

I recommend shops charge 4 hours to do the install, I think it is a reasonable allowed time..but I have heard of shops charging 8 hours or more..That seems high to me, the Porsche Factory labor manual only gives 8.5 hours to R&R the engine/transmission unit on a 996...lol..( there is no "book" time on AOS replacement )

Old 09-15-2022, 08:29 AM
tommelton
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 86 Posts

I purchased my 996.2 from BAT in March 2020 and drove it home from Dallas TX to a suburb of Atlanta GA. I immediately acquired the IMS Solution and RMS, new OEM flywheel, clutch kit...and the UAOS. The install of the UAOS is not complicated. The "modified" AOS supplied by Skip is a standard part, zero fitment issues. The hardest part of the UAOS install at that time was connecting the two wires to the pigtail for the low coolant sensor (now fully plug and play). Of course my install was a 6MT done with the transmission removed for IMS/RMS/clutch replacement.

But there should not be any trimming of the AOS supplied.

-Tom
Old 09-15-2022, 10:19 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,769 Likes on 902 Posts

I've installed the UAOS in a day and half taking my sweet time, cleaning all parts and documenting the process with bunch of photos of every step for the DIY I wrote. Your mechanic sounds like a noob or is trying to make the job sound much bigger than it is to charge for more hours. Is he a Porsche indy? I'd be concerned if he has never replaced an AOS because it kind of sounds like that's the case.
The following 2 users liked this post by plpete84:
EVOMMM (09-15-2022), JohnCA58 (09-15-2022)
Old 09-15-2022, 03:13 PM
somethingclever
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks all. It's a porsche indy, with a pretty ok reputation from google reviews etc. I'm deeply concerned now though. If they try to charge me more than they quoted that's one thing but at this point I wonder what kind of tech they had working on this and if it's going to be ok once they're done. The owner/SA said yesterday "I would not call this a well designed product in terms of installation...hope it works as promised" Which sounds like he's proactively washing his hands in case it doesn't.

Can someone tell me the procedure to check the vacuum (where to tap) and the expected readings? I know I saw the expected values somewhere in this thread but I want to be able to check when I go pick it up, which SHOULD be today.
I have 2 track days (my first with this car- I was waiting until I got the UAOS installed) and this is stressing me the F out....
Old 09-15-2022, 04:22 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Thanks all. It's a porsche indy, with a pretty ok reputation from google reviews etc. I'm deeply concerned now though. If they try to charge me more than they quoted that's one thing but at this point I wonder what kind of tech they had working on this and if it's going to be ok once they're done. The owner/SA said yesterday "I would not call this a well designed product in terms of installation...hope it works as promised" Which sounds like he's proactively washing his hands in case it doesn't.

Can someone tell me the procedure to check the vacuum (where to tap) and the expected readings? I know I saw the expected values somewhere in this thread but I want to be able to check when I go pick it up, which SHOULD be today.
I have 2 track days (my first with this car- I was waiting until I got the UAOS installed) and this is stressing me the F out....
That's just crazy !! And pisses me off !!

Of course it works as promised.....

I literally put the whole thing together myself making sure every clamp is turned the correct way, the wiring harness is installed and Plug-N-Play, Then separate it in two pieces for shipping ( instead of sending a bag of parts/pieces) with only two screws for mounting...

If anyone has any suggestions to make the "kit" more "installer friendly".......... I'M ALL EARS .....

I think your stress may be from waiting until the last minute to prepare for the Track event...

I'll post up the " AOS manometer test procedure " in a bit..... you test the UAOS the same as the AOS , it just reads about 1inwc lower( around -3inwc to -5inwc instead of -4inwc to -6inwc) ...
imhighlander (04-20-2023)
Old 09-15-2022, 04:31 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

@somethingclever IF your Indy is worth a s&&t he can do a manometer test for you when you pick up the car, it literally take 30 seconds to take off the oil cap install the manometer and start the engine..

And if I may have his name and phone number I'd like to give him a call about the "install design"...
Old 09-15-2022, 04:40 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,785 Likes on 2,164 Posts

Sorry you have a couple of headaches witg your indy.

Took my indy a couple of hours to put on the UAOS track version a few months ago. But they work exclusively on Porsches and mainly on DE and Club racing stuff so they know the motorsports aos and oem aos very well. They didn't have issues with the UAOS install and liked the design.

Fwiw, I had them drop the engine to replace a number of different things in addition to go over the engine and parts with a fine tooth comb. So it may have been a relatively smooth procedure from that standpoint.
Old 09-15-2022, 05:31 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 254 Posts

I’m a full on amateur hack. I’ve done two now, one with original AOS in situ (early build, prior to Skip’s full kit) and another full kit install just this summer. Other than the aerobic yoga required, it really isn’t a very technical job. I’d be seriously concerned if a professional tech can’t install. But then again, lots of “techs” these days only change bulbs and tires anyway.
Old 09-15-2022, 05:35 PM
somethingclever
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschetech3

I think your stress may be from waiting until the last minute to prepare for the Track event...
lol, no my stress is from having my car worked on by supposed Porsche experts and feeling like they may, at this minute, be F'ing it up.
To be clear, I have no anxiety about your kit, Skip, nor the support you give to the community.
Old 09-15-2022, 05:41 PM
somethingclever
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
@somethingclever IF your Indy is worth a s&&t he can do a manometer test for you when you pick up the car, it literally take 30 seconds to take off the oil cap install the manometer and start the engine..

And if I may have his name and phone number I'd like to give him a call about the "install design"...
I'll DM you details. I'm not trying to trash this place publicly which is why I haven't named them. I'm also not trying to have you call them and get all frosty with them before I pick up my car
Old 09-15-2022, 06:06 PM
Mike Mullins
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 158 Posts

you'll have it back in no time, let's go from there.
Track day brings on so many other worries, Are they prepping your car for that as well ?
just curious...
Old 09-15-2022, 06:46 PM
somethingclever
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike Mullins
you'll have it back in no time, let's go from there.
Track day brings on so many other worries, Are they prepping your car for that as well ?
just curious...
I've done a bunch of trackdays in other cars, and am not worried about the car being ready for the track, aside from them finishing the install of the UAOS properly. The car is pretty well set up for the kind of driving I want to do (intermediate group 70-80% of my capability), all I need to do when I get it back is put in RBF and maybe overfill the engine

Quick Reply: UAOS install/tips/tricks