Project Limoncella - Restoring 993 into a CUP/RSR 1:1 tribute

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 09:02 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Received 726 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by kingroon
No Cage..?
No cage, in Italy the car wouldn't be allowed to be driven on open roads anymore, with the cage it would not pass the biennial state control... if you install the complete cage, even if only bolted, the car would lose its road approval.

Old 04-19-2021, 04:31 PM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It's a great project and progressing really well, some incredible work.

On the cage front on Italian roads, you say they can't be driven on roads these days. Is that for modified cars or applicable to cars that left the factory with a cage as part of their original build specification?
I ask as this would preclude the use of many competition cars on Italian roads?
Old 04-19-2021, 05:15 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by clubsport1
It's a great project and progressing really well, some incredible work.

On the cage front on Italian roads, you say they can't be driven on roads these days. Is that for modified cars or applicable to cars that left the factory with a cage as part of their original build specification?
I ask as this would preclude the use of many competition cars on Italian roads?
Exactly: rally cars can be homologated, but they have channels, that are not available for normal people like me.
So I think someone with the right connections could be able to homologate a one-off 993 with fully welded roll-cage, but again, this is not my case.

If you buy an original 993 RS-CS with Matter Cage or a 964 N-GT, I think, they were originally homologated for road use back beginning of the 90 or middle of the 90, so they can be driven on open roads as much as on the track.

Old 04-21-2021, 03:02 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Thank you so much Colin,
Your contribute was decisive.

​​​​

We managed to get the plate shaped but 3,0 mm instead of 1,5 mm thick... now we can hang and lift the car from there 🌈

Tomorrow is the day of the Glasurit 🦜 background paint!

Last edited by nothingbutgt3; 04-21-2021 at 03:03 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by nothingbutgt3:
cobalt (04-22-2021), imdvs (04-21-2021), kingroon (04-22-2021), SpeedyC2 (04-22-2021)
Old 04-22-2021, 07:03 AM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nothingbutgt3

If you buy an original 993 RS-CS with Matter Cage or a 964 N-GT, I think, they were originally homologated for road use back beginning of the 90 or middle of the 90, so they can be driven on open roads as much as on the track.
Thank's for clearing that up. I have a factory built 993 RS-CS with original German fahrzeugbrief, so I should be OK. I was concerned the rules had changed for a moment!
Old 04-22-2021, 03:25 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Step by step... But coming at the coachbuilder shop and seeing such good looking and curved, natural, but also designed slopes...
The following users liked this post:
darkgable79 (05-19-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 08:29 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,020 Likes on 1,210 Posts

Amazing how much better things look when the primer is applied.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:11 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Well done on the bracket. Seam welding looks nice as well, good choice to do that "whilst you are there".

All those open seams on the shell will need sealing. We first use PU adhesive sealant (Tiger Seal) applied with a fine nozzle and hand worked into the seam with a finger tip. We wear rubber gloves for that job, of course.

Once every single seam on the car has been gun sealed, we then apply brush sealer as it would be on the RS. This will pretty much cover every seam. If you need photos of how this looks again just ask.
The following 2 users liked this post by NineMeister:
gonzilla (04-27-2021), LimeyBoy (04-23-2021)
Old 04-24-2021, 05:40 PM
azander
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nothingbutgt3
hi Anthony,
I saw this doors on the FVD website and I started drooling (I found this verb using Google translate, I dont know if it is the right way of saying it)

https://www.fvd.net/de-en/KEV5310050...g-141-lbs.html
Awesome project - great to see this coming along. ... Older post but Re the doors, not sure if you decided, I believe these are D Moris parts (http://www.dmoris-styling.com/porsche.html) and available direct (no affiliation). My understanding from speaking with them, they were the OE Manufacturer to Porsche for the 965 Turbo S Leichtbau kevlar hood. Kinda neat.
nothingbutgt3 (04-24-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 05:48 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

If you need photos of how this looks again just ask.
Photos of how the process should be and of how the final result should look would definitely help.
I have collected a lot of photographic material in these two years on 993 CUP and RS CS, but they are certainly not photos taken to accurately highlight specific details.

I believe these are D Moris parts (http://www.dmoris-styling.com/porsche.html) and available direct (no affiliation). My understanding from speaking with them, they were the OE Manufacturer to Porsche for the 965 Turbo S Leichtbau kevlar hood. Kinda neat
I wrote D Moris last Thursday, let's see what they answer me back.
I definitely would like to save some more weight, but having an eye on two factors:
1) remain on the safe side of a driving experience, these door have kevlar inside and from what I know kevlar is used in the and bulletproof vests, so it should compensate for the extreme lightness, stiffness, but also fragility of carbon fiber, but only the producer can say something in this regard.
2) It is for sure a super mod, which should save more or less 10 kg on each side, but it very much depends how much they cost, because then ipthere just be added all the parts of the doors.

Not having found any partnership/support/help in some Porsche Dealer or official Spare parts seller is not helping: of course I am applying a lot of patience, like an angler should, waiting for the right part / in the right conditions / for the right price ...Time helps, the fact such a project would have requested at least 2,5/3 years, for finding the human resources, for collecting technical info, for designing what to do of it and what not to do, has helped consistently not making me have higher expenses.
People like to ask me how much could I get from selling the car: to me this car is priceless, there isn't any amount of money that could give me back the time, the effort and the energies I massively, totally put into this project.
At the same time the project itself has given me so much, putting me in contact with very nice and good people, and the harder the task, the higher the satisfaction, you can make yourself an idea simply imagining how hard it is for someone completely out of the coachbuilder/mechanical/technical business, worlds, I mean, people and professionals who work in this field for living. A world very competitive, with very high customer expectations.
The first concept that comes to my mind, if I think at it, is: it's not for sale (!) but if I had to separate myself from it, it would probably be for free, for charity reasons.
Looking me back, probably the very true enrichment came and is still coming from the "project" itself, from the crazy "decision" of thinking in that precise while, "let's do it", and what entered from that moment on in me is something noone could ever steal, buy, erase, or whatever else.

I had to spare, I still have, because it is also financially, as you can imagine, an expensive project, but it has never been a matter of money, it has been a matter of love and probably of value too, but not money related.

I think here you guys you understund it well, I am a beginner, but how many of you spend the evening in the garage changing something, or adapting, or studying how to do something on the car, or just sitting in the bed with your laptop watching for the parts requested for doing something before sleeping?
Sometimes it's enough dreaming of a modification, fantasising, listening to the sound of a boxer 12 cylinder engine...the rofl of the air cooled fan, the smell of the oil, the sound of the doors...

The new 992 GT3 is an amazing tool, an amazing car, in the last days all the journalists are testing it, saying the same things, trying to differentiate saying them in their own way, trying putting something of themselves into their GT3 "interview", and this all seems only to me a bit ridiculous, like a farcical theatrical performance... there are so many, all trying it, all saying the same things... good for them who try it, a great excuse to take a day off from their respective wives and enjoy, perhaps, the last creature of the 911 family, or some relax, the fastest, the more everything, N/A 911 ever made.
ok, yes, ok, all true, but then what? But then what? ends there.
I think our world starts right there ... it's probably like the difference between drinking to quench your thirst and integrating mineral salts so as to continue in the performance AAAND drinking to savor or enjoy something.
Aspects that are not antagonistic at all, on the contrary, but in fact it could be possible to overlap them and while it is not possible to give the latest 911 the flavor of the old ones, it is instead possible to improve the performance and driveabikity and driving pleasure of the oldies a lot, without loosing anything what Ithey are.
But then I also think the GT3 would never be "the" track car for me, if anything, if I could ever afford it financially and as a lifestyle, it would be the perfect car for the daily drive to the office and back home... every blessed day in GT3, why deprive yourself of such pleasure?
Epicurus has been deliberately misinterpreted, this is now even clearer and perhaps we should all learn to be a little less masochistic.

The following 2 users liked this post by nothingbutgt3:
dane_ax (04-03-2022), Watson (04-29-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 07:14 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Today and tomorrow they'll be completing the background finish everywhere but the exterior panels.
I am happy seeing how good the attitude of the people working on the car is, flwhich fact I think is already reflecting in the very high quality of what a picture can't describe 100% effectively

One side I can't wait, other side it takes the requested time to make a good job

😇🎶

Now it is time for preparing the suspension layout: the car will be a "bit" more track oriented than expected.
Estethically talking Limoncella will be a reversible tribute to the 993 RS CS "only" without the full welded cage.
Chassis talking, I think it should represent a consistent step forward, considering the car will be fully on monoball connections.
Please feel free to say what you think about the following layout:

- 3 way adj. Motion Control Suspensions with their own camber plates
- front Monoball A-arm inserts, RS uprights (or BBi), RS adj. sway bar, Tarett monoball drop links, RS/EVO tie rods, FD Motorsport steering rack harder rubber mounts
- rear Tarett Eng. Monoball A-arm, Rennline control arms, RS sway bar and Tarett Eng. Monoball drop links, Elephant Racing subframe mounts without tilt kit
- Rennline solid engine mounts + FD Motorsport Semisolid gearbox mount (the green one)

​​​​​​On the wheel side: BBS E29 (aluminum centers same style as the magnesium E28) with inner and outer barrels with 24 holes, same type used on the E88, painted BBS Gold

Front 8,5J X 18 (1"outer lip + 7,5" inner barrel) ET 49
Rear 10J x 18 (1" outer lip + 9" inner barrel) ET 59

Front Brakes 304mm floating Racing Brakes disc's + Pagid Yellow
Rear Brakes 299mm standard brakes (I am still searching for a floating brake solution for the rear axle as well)

As strut bar which one would you recommend?

​​​

Last edited by nothingbutgt3; 04-27-2021 at 07:28 AM.
gonzilla (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 08:51 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,020 Likes on 1,210 Posts

I don't believe the MCS camber plates are much different than most of what is out there.

I was looking for photos of freshly applied seam sealer for you but all I could find is a 914 so I don't know if this helps. I was going to say something but figured it was in the plans since you seem to research everything in detail.

Here are some pics of a 964 cup car with no undercoating and fresh paint.

The following 2 users liked this post by cobalt:
heliolps2 (05-11-2021), nothingbutgt3 (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 10:08 AM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 304 Posts

It's nothing short of amazing what you've done to this car already! IF you're going to make a track car, you've got THE opportunity for max weight loss, stiffening and such right now.
Old 04-27-2021, 02:22 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

I don't believe the MCS camber plates are much different than most of what is out there.

I was looking for photos of freshly applied seam sealer for you but all I could find is a 914 so I don't know if this helps. I was going to say something but figured it was in the plans since you seem to research everything in detail.
Thank you Anthony, the rotisserie is very useful, it simplifies a lot the task for a better result.

I dont know much of camber plates, Wyatt told me about them, sourcing camber plates and suspensions together, if it doesn't amplifies the possibility of avoiding conflicts while coupling parts sourced from different third parts, it doesn't reduce it either.

It's nothing short of amazing what you've done to this car already! IF you're going to make a track car, you've got THE opportunity for max weight loss, stiffening and such right now.
It will be a car built for enhancing the driving experience, the sporty way, for what right now is possible on the 993 basis, but also on open roads, otherwise I would have installed also a full welded Matter cage.
The car will keep its standard braking system, lights, belts, all the items requested to pass the revision in order to be driven on open roads. I don't know how much it will be driven on open roads, but I didn't want to lose tha opportunity of doing it.
Maybe later I will change my mind, we'll see, let's see first when I manage to turn the engine on, step by step.
Old 04-27-2021, 04:39 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 304 Posts

Makes sense- Suspension upgrades, even adding Big Reds would be minor, but valuable adds no matter how you drive the car- this was a NB I believe? Love watching this and as I states MONTHS ago- when I am able to get back to Tuscany, I will look you up! I want to see this awesome build in person!
nothingbutgt3 (04-27-2021)

Quick Reply: Project Limoncella - Restoring 993 into a CUP/RSR 1:1 tribute