Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Project Limoncella - Restoring 993 into a CUP/RSR 1:1 tribute

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2021, 03:57 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Paolo, you are some kind of Angel, sent down from above to save this car. You have earned great “car karma” for the rest of your life.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ed Hughes:
Mixwell (05-13-2022), nothingbutgt3 (07-06-2021), Watson (07-05-2021)
Old 07-05-2021, 04:15 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 323 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Paolo, you are some kind of Angel, sent down from above to save this car. You have earned great “car karma” for the rest of your life.
Agreed.

Paolo, you took so much car of her, this 993 will take care of you.
The following users liked this post:
nothingbutgt3 (07-06-2021)
Old 07-05-2021, 10:41 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Wow what a great accomplishment. Thanks for the photo. Quite a shop - the body on the lift in the background looks familiar. Alfa? Lancia?
Old 07-06-2021, 06:26 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Received 726 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by mike cap
Wow what a great accomplishment. Thanks for the photo. Quite a shop - the body on the lift in the background looks familiar. Alfa? Lancia?
Scrolling the pictures I shot yesterday, I bet there are many like this one, but, even if I try avoid clogging this post with photos, sometimes I don't resist...yes, it is a Lancia Fulvia Coupé, ready for final detail and painting process.

Agreed.

Paolo, you took so much car of her, this 993 will take care of you.
In the next couple weeks it is auxiliary frames + wheel carriers + monroe suspensions + steering column install + steering rack revision + brake booster time ( so that the car will be with a steering wheel installed and it will be possible to move her on her own wheels!)

Seeing her chassis moving on the wheels...I can't wait!

The gearbox internals are still missing.
After a couple email messages, I then tried getting from Guard Trasmission a quote, but I didn't get any answer yet (a couple months).
Some Porsche enthusiast and very inside the argument have warned me telling me openly that their gears are whiny, made for Motorsport applications, so that they reduce loss, but same time they are louder than stock...I thought the helix shape would prevent the gearbox from whining, but evidently it is not so.

By the way, engine rebuild is fixed for september, even considering some delay, the engine should be reassembled for the beginning of October.
Meanwhile I am going to install the lines (fuel, brake, wiring harnesses, control units, cockpit, seats and all the interiors), so basically, apart from the usual unavoidable inconveniences, the "big" missing part is the gearbox.

we will see what will happen, I hope finally the right opportunity will present itself.
Personally, I would like a gearbox with helical gears, but I am open to different solutions, namely:
- the gearbox can be its original G50 / 21 (of which I already have the LSD overhauled and ready to be installed)
- it can be a gearbox with gears tailored with the first longer and the sixth shorter, I am not interested in the bevel gear 8:32
- it can be the one of the RS or the CUP, but the market is crazy, because it seems the price of the gearbox follows the value of the car
- the whole case of the submerged car is in perfectly working conditions, as well as the synchros and dog teeth of each gear, and shift forks and levers: finding a Porsche dealer that could help me through this specific thing, it would be very nice, considering I have to buy many other smaller parts, including the alarm control unit with the 2 remotes.

We'll see, as for the rest of the project, I don't "sleep", but it is better staying calm and breath 10 times (at least) before taking a way...and most of times it is much more adviceable staying still.
So many scammers and thief around, and the matter by itself isn't cheap at all.

Last edited by nothingbutgt3; 07-06-2021 at 07:14 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by nothingbutgt3:
asj262 (07-06-2021), Coleman (07-06-2021), imdvs (07-06-2021), SpeedyC2 (07-06-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 02:20 PM
paranoidandroid
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by nothingbutgt3
Scrolling the pictures I shot yesterday, I bet there are many like this one, but, even if I try avoid clogging this post with photos, sometimes I don't resist...yes, it is a Lancia Fulvia Coupé, ready for final detail and painting process.

In the next couple weeks it is auxiliary frames + wheel carriers + monroe suspensions + steering column install + steering rack revision + brake booster time ( so that the car will be with a steering wheel installed and it will be possible to move her on her own wheels!)

Seeing her chassis moving on the wheels...I can't wait!

The gearbox internals are still missing.
After a couple email messages, I then tried getting from Guard Trasmission a quote, but I didn't get any answer yet (a couple months).
Some Porsche enthusiast and very inside the argument have warned me telling me openly that their gears are whiny, made for Motorsport applications, so that they reduce loss, but same time they are louder than stock...I thought the helix shape would prevent the gearbox from whining, but evidently it is not so.

By the way, engine rebuild is fixed for september, even considering some delay, the engine should be reassembled for the beginning of October.
Meanwhile I am going to install the lines (fuel, brake, wiring harnesses, control units, cockpit, seats and all the interiors), so basically, apart from the usual unavoidable inconveniences, the "big" missing part is the gearbox.

we will see what will happen, I hope finally the right opportunity will present itself.
Personally, I would like a gearbox with helical gears, but I am open to different solutions, namely:
- the gearbox can be its original G50 / 21 (of which I already have the LSD overhauled and ready to be installed)
- it can be a gearbox with gears tailored with the first longer and the sixth shorter, I am not interested in the bevel gear 8:32
- it can be the one of the RS or the CUP, but the market is crazy, because it seems the price of the gearbox follows the value of the car
- the whole case of the submerged car is in perfectly working conditions, as well as the synchros and dog teeth of each gear, and shift forks and levers: finding a Porsche dealer that could help me through this specific thing, it would be very nice, considering I have to buy many other smaller parts, including the alarm control unit with the 2 remotes.

We'll see, as for the rest of the project, I don't "sleep", but it is better staying calm and breath 10 times (at least) before taking a way...and most of times it is much more adviceable staying still.
So many scammers and thief around, and the matter by itself isn't cheap at all.
What's the reasoning behind the Monroe suspension? BTW, if anyone from Porsche reads these threads..its not too late to sponsor this rebuild! @nothingbutgt3 needs a gearbox!
Old 07-06-2021, 07:34 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
What's the reasoning behind the Monroe suspension? BTW, if anyone from Porsche reads these threads..its not too late to sponsor this rebuild! @nothingbutgt3 needs a gearbox!
I don't want to mess around while working on the car risking to damage the brand new MCS suspensions, they have the separate reservoir I want to fix to the body once and don't touch them anymore after installing, hence the Monroe I took off the silver 993 years ago.
Old 07-21-2021, 01:11 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

A "little" summary

July 2018 - Limoncella as it was when I first saw her in person

July 2018 - Limoncella the first day out on her way home

February 2020 - Limoncella going finally headed direction the coachbuilder shop

July 2021 - Limoncella as it is righ now, ready for reassembly

Last edited by nothingbutgt3; 07-21-2021 at 01:13 PM.
The following 11 users liked this post by nothingbutgt3:
dane_ax (04-03-2022), Fracture (07-21-2021), heliolps2 (07-21-2021), imdvs (07-21-2021), INTMD8 (07-21-2021), kingroon (07-21-2021), PAOLOP (07-23-2021), SpeedyC2 (07-21-2021), SwayBar (07-23-2021), Watson (07-21-2021), widers911 (07-22-2021) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-21-2021, 02:55 PM
ShdwFx
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 162 Posts

What a journey and transformation! Congrats on getting it this far and your patience and attention to detail.
nothingbutgt3 (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 03:00 PM
paranoidandroid
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Wow, a few microfiber cloths and some wax and that buffed right out!

The following 2 users liked this post by paranoidandroid:
nothingbutgt3 (07-21-2021), SpeedyC2 (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 11:18 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 533 Likes on 365 Posts

A "little" summary

July 2018 - Limoncella as it was when I first saw her in person

July 2018 - Limoncella the first day out on her way home

February 2020 - Limoncella going finally headed direction the coachbuilder shop

July 2021 - Limoncella as it is righ now, ready for reassembly
Amazing work Paulo. True passion, commitment and a little insanity (in a good way). It's all downhill from here.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:38 AM
imdvs
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts

This project fascinates me. I stand in awe of the craftspeople and owner for the talent and commitment displayed in this build.
kingroon (07-22-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 08:35 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

I started checking the wiring harness I bought used couple of months ago from a German shop, and I found an inconsistency: comparing the 52 pole engine control unit connector with the engine control unit socket of both not varioram and varioram versions, the shape of the socket and connector guide coincides, while that one of the plug present in the electrical system I bought used is different, and therefore the plug cannot be inserted in the seat present on the varioram engine control unit that I would like to couple with the varioram intake i Was lucky finding used and complete for a very super good price.
The first thing that comes to my mind is that this electrical system should be intended for a different type of 993, a type that did not have a naturally aspirated engine and / or that had a tiptronic gearbox, that way, by introducing a different shape of the connector in this sense serves to avoid making mistakes.

​​​​​​on the right the not varioram Control unit coming from the submerged 993, on the left the used varioram control unit I would like to use

bottom the submerged socket, top the varioram socket, they both have the same tooth in the socket, placed in the middle of the teeth.

the groove of the socket I was checking this morning, part of the wiring harness I bought used is positioned on the edge

the groove of the socket I was checking this morning, coming from the wiring harness of the submerged 993 is positioned right in the middle of the plug teeth

I know it is probably a very annoying argument, but there must be a logic in here. the seller had two wiring harnesses for sale, I think he has mistaken one type with another one.

Last edited by nothingbutgt3; 07-23-2021 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-31-2021, 07:20 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

it has taken a whole working day splitted along the last week, but in the end I was able to assemble front and rear axle.

Next week it will be time for steering rack and steering column + steering wheel assembly.

it would be also very nice if I could find the way to assembly its original parking brake.

so nice finally working on a clean body

kingroon (08-01-2021)
Old 07-31-2021, 08:37 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 978 Likes on 501 Posts

I started checking the wiring harness I bought used couple of months ago from a German shop, and I found an inconsistency: comparing the 52 pole engine control unit connector with the engine control unit socket of both not varioram and varioram versions, the shape of the socket and connector guide coincides, while that one of the plug present in the electrical system I bought used is different, and therefore the plug cannot be inserted in the seat present on the varioram engine control unit that I would like to couple with the varioram intake i Was lucky finding used and complete for a very super good price.
The first thing that comes to my mind is that this electrical system should be intended for a different type of 993, a type that did not have a naturally aspirated engine and / or that had a tiptronic gearbox, that way, by introducing a different shape of the connector in this sense serves to avoid making mistakes.

​​​​​​on the right the not varioram Control unit coming from the submerged 993, on the left the used varioram control unit I would like to use

bottom the submerged socket, top the varioram socket, they both have the same tooth in the socket, placed in the middle of the teeth.

the groove of the socket I was checking this morning, part of the wiring harness I bought used is positioned on the edge

the groove of the socket I was checking this morning, coming from the wiring harness of the submerged 993 is positioned right in the middle of the plug teeth

I know it is probably a very annoying argument, but there must be a logic in here. the seller had two wiring harnesses for sale, I think he has mistaken one type with another one.

Is there no sticker with a part number on the harness you were sold? My guess is it is from a Turbo car for the following reasons:
  1. There are various harnesses listed in the PET for '94, '95, -'97, '98, and Turbo version
  2. There is no different harness for Tiptronic cars
  3. I checked my 98's DME and it has the same type of mating connection as you've pointed to with yellow arrow (cannot check my harness as car is not here but DME is)
  4. I would suspect that the Turbo cars are significantly different to where they would make the harness incompatible with other 97/98 cars and therefore have a separate part number and make the connector incompatible so you cannot interchange them
Old 07-31-2021, 08:45 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by boomboomthump
Is there no sticker with a part number on the harness you were sold? My guess is it is from a Turbo car for the following reasons:
  1. There are various harnesses listed in the PET for '94, '95, -'97, '98, and Turbo version
  2. There is no different harness for Tiptronic cars
  3. I checked my 98's DME and it has the same type of mating connection as you've pointed to with yellow arrow (cannot check my harness as car is not here but DME is)
  4. I would suspect that the Turbo cars are significantly different to where they would make the harness incompatible with other 97/98 cars and therefore have a separate part number and make the connector incompatible so you cannot interchange them

uhm, nice contribute, thank you so much!

I will check on the plug the number but I think it will be a Bosch code of the pluc version.
​​​​​
I will also check the wiring harness for label of the Porsche part number.

Thank you so much for your contribute! 🙏
​​​​

Quick Reply: Project Limoncella - Restoring 993 into a CUP/RSR 1:1 tribute