Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Project Limoncella - Restoring 993 into a CUP/RSR 1:1 tribute

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 02:08 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

this is a 997 pump from about 7yrs ago, big and bulky.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ing-pumps.html
the pump has 3 mounting points.
in this case a fabbed up support is bolted to the tub.

post #11 shows the pump mounted oem fashion directly to the tub.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/6570...-steering.html
Old 09-22-2020, 03:17 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Received 726 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by k722070
this is a 997 pump from about 7yrs ago, big and bulky.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ing-pumps.html
the pump has 3 mounting points.
in this case a fabbed up support is bolted to the tub.

post #11 shows the pump mounted oem fashion directly to the tub.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/6570...-steering.html
So basically I already have the pump, I need the black support: is there a code or a shop where I can find it? Then the lines must be custom made or do they exist from Porsche or another supplier?
Old 09-22-2020, 07:21 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

the black support was made by a shop.
it is just a cut pipe bigger than the bottom of the pump welded to a base plate.
the 3 supports for the pump are welded to the pipe.
I suggest finding a spot in the frunk to weld up brackets directly to the tub similar to the picture in post #11.
where mine is mounted there is no space for a spare wheel.

the lines are custom made, I can't remember the size but with the pump and steering rack you will have all the info you need.
just bring them to a hydraulic hose shop or buy the fittings and hose online.
there are people posting about installing these on bmw and other track cars, you should be able to find someone local for the support and hoses.
The following users liked this post:
nothingbutgt3 (09-22-2020)
Old 09-23-2020, 11:02 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Just did this last spring. There is at least one shop in the US Utah that makes the base, but can be also fab’d up locally with basic metal fab skills. Make the hoses using standard fittings, one high pressure, one simple return. Need to drill hole/s to route from frunk to rack. Need high AMP service direct from battery, but switched on off by 2nd source.
Old 09-29-2020, 04:13 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz
Just did this last spring. There is at least one shop in the US Utah that makes the base, but can be also fab’d up locally with basic metal fab skills. Make the hoses using standard fittings, one high pressure, one simple return. Need to drill hole/s to route from frunk to rack. Need high AMP service direct from battery, but switched on off by 2nd source.
Thank you "no substitute", the pump has arrived, I thought it were bigger, I think I can manage to find the way to install it next to the fuel tank in central position.

​​​​​​

Meanwhile middle October I'll be back to Germany to carry home the BSS E29 set I found, plus some missing parts for the step 1 and step 2 engine.

Same shape as the E28 but with aluminum alloy centers instead of magnesium, originally used on the 996 cup cars.

I also took the decision to go for the center locking system, and I am here now considering whether to go for RSR enlargements or not... The engine will have in the most optimistic case 300/305hp, so what I thought was I have no need of more Tyre, but at the same time if I then decide to enlarge it, I have to make the job twice.

So far I am not truly convinced the RSR, apart from not being the original configuration of this car, to be better looking than a CUP/RS CS... the aeropackage is perfectly the same, 2 years ago when I was seeing RSR pictures I was always going like wow... Now that I am there and must add those enlargements with rivets, Uhm... Onto the clear lines of the 993... Uhm... I don't know... Ok, it looks more definitive and aggressive, but I really don't know... It isn't something easily reversible plus I don't know if it is better.

The 964 Ruf yellow bird was narrow...so even with 420 hp why should I need to enlarge the car?
And performance related, how much will the car become a faster car?
​​​​
Old 10-02-2020, 02:42 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

What I don't understand is: the steering rack and the subframe elements are supposed to be made of the same material, which is aluminum alloy, but I doubt the quality of the subframe elements is same as the one of the steering rack, since no pitting has been found on the last one only! No pitting AT ALL on the steering rack made by ZF.
Maybe I am totally wrong, but I think the pitting on the subframe elements comes from impurities inside of the aluminum alloy.
I already have bought an overhauled steering rack, but I think I will rebuild this one as well, and use it on the lemon car.

ZF steering rack - no pitting at all

Rear Subframe part - pitting

Gearbox mount - pitting

Rear Subframe Cross Member - pitting

Old 10-02-2020, 03:25 PM
uniquenamehere
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

Are you planning on reusing any of those pitted parts?
Old 10-02-2020, 03:46 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by uniquenamehere
Are you planning on reusing any of those pitted parts?
I am going to overhaul the steering rack, but no, I am not going to reuse these parts.
Right now I am missing only the gearbox mount.

I must replace the bushings with RS rüber shore ones

Auxiliary subframes on solid mounts without tilt kit

Still don't know where I can find the bushings for the lower A-arms, they are 2, one each side, shaped totally different from the others
Old 10-02-2020, 04:38 PM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Try Chuck at Elephant Racing, he has eveyrthing, great service ,great quality.
nothingbutgt3 (10-02-2020)
Old 10-03-2020, 10:08 AM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 62 Posts

https://www.powerflexusa.com/shop/category/porsche-911-993-1994-1998-1444

https://www.powerflexusa.com/shop/product/pff57-101blk-porsche-964-993-968-944-s2-front-control-arm-front-bushing-2590

https://www.powerflexusa.com/shop/pr...r-bushing-1061

No affiliation, etc.. I just purchased the sway bar mounts and even though they are purple, they are beautiful made and quality parts...

Last edited by Coleman; 10-03-2020 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-04-2020, 12:40 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Wow, Wow, wow This has got to be the Mega Rebuild of All Time... Just cleaning every nook and cranny in every corner inside and out!!!! I can't imagine what you will find inside the HVAC 'Suitcase'. That is not a fun job on a good day (been there, done that).

I applaud your process and level of detail being put forth to this project.

The repairs for my 1996 993 (whole roof replacement, new interior, full show paint job) too almost three years to do.

Best Wishes To You!!!!!!!

Subscribed...
nothingbutgt3 (10-04-2020)
Old 10-04-2020, 12:58 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Just saw your last pix of the suspension pieces... I would suggest (if it is not too late) maybe having the aluminum chemical film coating (Iridite, clear or golden color) to prevent corrosion. This does not change any dimensions in any way. I did all my suspension pieces a nice golden color. Some where on this Forum is several threads that detail the damage and rebuild.

I rebuilt my steering rack using the kit that I bought online. One thing I saw is the Porsche Repair Manual used a metal sleeve (condom) to cover the rack teeth so they don't damage the seals when being inserted. I used a length of Teflon adhesive tape and some grease. Once inserted, some careful work to remove the tape. The rack was rebuilt a few years ago and no leaks!

You are an inspiration to all that are willing to tackle any project big or small and the satisfaction one gets for a job well done!!!
Old 10-04-2020, 01:23 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mr_bock
Just saw your last pix of the suspension pieces... I would suggest (if it is not too late) maybe having the aluminum chemical film coating (Iridite, clear or golden color) to prevent corrosion. This does not change any dimensions in any way. I did all my suspension pieces a nice golden color. Some where on this Forum is several threads that detail the damage and rebuild.

I rebuilt my steering rack using the kit that I bought online. One thing I saw is the Porsche Repair Manual used a metal sleeve (condom) to cover the rack teeth so they don't damage the seals when being inserted. I used a length of Teflon adhesive tape and some grease. Once inserted, some careful work to remove the tape. The rack was rebuilt a few years ago and no leaks!

You are an inspiration to all that are willing to tackle any project big or small and the satisfaction one gets for a job well done!!!
Thank you very much Mr Book, I really appreciate your words and advices, you can for sure imagine what pleasure it might be reading them in a 5 minutes break from the cleaning process I started today, with water and soap, of all the plastic and gummy parts...

Drying in line very diligently

Toothbrush

Who's next?

Probably I'll need some kind of plastic finish to make them shine almost like brand new

Last edited by nothingbutgt3; 10-04-2020 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-04-2020, 05:12 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

You might want to try AUTOGLYM Bumper Care, revives colour and protects exterior plastics and rubber. Made in England and should be available in Italy. I have used this on several different cars over the years with very good results.
Old 10-05-2020, 01:44 AM
revolution993
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts

Try using back to black i used it on my rubbers as well great product.

Quick Reply: Project Limoncella - Restoring 993 into a CUP/RSR 1:1 tribute