Fabulous! Wow. Congratulations
The following users liked this post:
nothingbutgt3 (03-17-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 08:27 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Received 728 Likes on 245 Posts

Thank you guys,
I'll be visiting the coachbuilder shop on a daily base, I can't resist!
I will definitely need further advices
Old 03-24-2021, 09:51 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Hi guys,
I am considering the following brake floating rotors, does someone have installed them on his/her 993? I am interested in the 304 mm front - 299 mm rear version, to have the lightest unsprung masses possible

Let me know what you guys thing about that

The front brake single piece rotors are cracking from the very first track day, I think it is a shame to remove them when the thickness is still like new

These rotors are 1,7 kg lighter than the standard ones, plus they should prevent the disc from cracking

Now that at the coachbuilder shop they are working to prepare the car for the paint, it is the right time to understand where the auxiliary front brake ducts should pass through from the holes in the front bumper (fog lights removal) to the brake rotors.
Is there somewhere an easy to understand how-to thread? I wouldn't like to make the ducts pass through the front lagguage compartment, but outside.
Old 03-24-2021, 11:37 AM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 468 Likes on 307 Posts

I know I asked this before, but is Porsche helping with any of this via some sponsorship? They talk about having 70%+ of all Porsches still on the road- we'll sir, you're bringing back a classic from the dead- way beyond dead! I'd think they'd help you a little anyway- can't even imagine what this build will cost when it's all done.
Old 03-24-2021, 12:08 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PRSWILL
I know I asked this before, but is Porsche helping with any of this via some sponsorship? They talk about having 70%+ of all Porsches still on the road- we'll sir, you're bringing back a classic from the dead- way beyond dead! I'd think they'd help you a little anyway- can't even imagine what this build will cost when it's all done.
Thank you Will for your kind words, but the answer is simply and roughly NO.

At first I was sad about it, you can imagine: this is not my field, I wrote a couple email to Porsche AG two years ago, before the Covid, kindly asking for help, at least help with documentation, and/or help with some kind of discount on spare parts, considering most of the vehicle will be brand new, you can imagine.

Nothing, not Nothingbutgt3, nothingbutnothing from Porsche.

It hurt, especially considering how strong the enthusiasm for the 911 flows inside my vanes.
But what can I say, I don't know, it's like that, nothing more, nothing less.
The sooner you accept it, the better you go on positively.
I keep going, for sure, no way, it will certainly not be Porsche's deafness to stop me from my intentions, they will in any case get all the publicity they want from it, claiming it is because of the quality of their product everything was possible, when it is not at all because of them, they were and still are absent like the missing father escaped when he got the news his girlfriend is pregnant...you are not the father at all, father is who is present, who makes you grow up, who is next to you during the hard times, helping you with kind words and advices if needed or requested.

From what I've seen so far, as a private person, it is certainly not the figures currently employed in Zuffenhausen who deserve this recognition, if anything, those who in 1995 practically built by hand this wonderful 993.

I feel deep compassion for people so lacking in empathy, and whose decisions, whose purposes are determined solely to increase profit margins.
I mean: one thing does not exclude the other, or rather, it should not exclude it.

You can be sure that I will not forget who helped the cause of this project from the very beginning, believing in the project and in my little chance to carry it out, because you can imagine how many excuses one can tell himself along the road, but none of them ever crossed my brain not even by mistake.
So be careful if the absence of Porsche can stop me, it is quite the opposite, this is motivation.
In face of Porsche, despite its absence, this project will see something emerge that will highlight everyone who has enthusiasm for cars, except Porsche, which has the sole merit of not having been there, ever.

I hope the concept is clear enough.

There is a book, a special one, "Les Miserables" of Victor Hugo: they are not in the places and they are not the figures the common conventional sense make us expect them to be.
And I think you can apply this concept to most of the economic fields, and since the world is ruled by economics, you can easily come to your conclusions.

We all have a lot to learn and, above all, we have the task of not forgetting who is doing us good, let alone who has hurt us, and not even forgetting who has not been there at all.

I answered your message because you introduced the argument, but you know I never think about this thing?!
While instead I think I am grateful to those who help me, to those who have helped me and to those who will help me, but not to those who have not done it.
Why should I think about who wasn't there?
Maybe it's not even fair to expect them to be there, I have no idea, probably they do the same with everyone, it would be arrogant to think in my case they should have made an exception.
I wasn't asking for that much, maybe just an answer would have been enough, like: ok, we know you are crazy, thank you for being so crazy or stuff like that.

Last edited by nothingbutgt3; 03-24-2021 at 12:56 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by nothingbutgt3:
darkgable79 (05-19-2021), kingroon (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 12:19 PM
kingroon
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 99 Posts

Before I had read nothingbutgt3's response, I wanted to say that it is because of us the enthusiasts, not Porsche AG, that there are 70%+ of all Porsches still on the Road..
The following 3 users liked this post by kingroon:
911F1 (03-24-2021), mr_bock (04-07-2021), nothingbutgt3 (03-24-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 05:32 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

911 Silhouette

Preparing Limoncella for the paint

I am not a big fan of putty, but it comes in a very thin layer on very specific surfaces, days are passing by, but the moment of the painting is day after day closer and closer.
This is not the moment to be impatient and do things in a hurry, indeed, we are doing a detailed analysis and team work in order not to really leave anything to chance.

These pictures are in their original format and quality for Rennlist only, exclusively, better than those posted on Instagram.
Thank you RLers for supporting me from the very beginning

Last edited by nothingbutgt3; 03-28-2021 at 05:36 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by nothingbutgt3:
certz (03-29-2021), ch3tman (04-02-2021), darkgable79 (05-19-2021), kingroon (03-29-2021), PAOLOP (03-29-2021), SpeedyC2 (03-29-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-28-2021, 09:50 PM
WhiteCab
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Very nicely said. Porsche does not seem to care for “the little guy.”
Old 03-29-2021, 09:11 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 110 Posts

It's almost time to be putting parts back on!

I would love to see some more information on the brake rotors you mention above. Just curious...
Old 03-29-2021, 09:16 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SpeedyC2
It's almost time to be putting parts back on!

I would love to see some more information on the brake rotors you mention above. Just curious...
I would like to have a feedback as well, I contacted the company a week ago, but I didn't get any answer yet.
Probably I'll have to source them somewhere else.
SpeedyC2 (03-30-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 09:36 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 179 Posts

I have front RB rotors on my 993 track car, Pagid yellows, black stock calipers. Rears were an issue for parking brake as I recall back a year or two.
Old 03-30-2021, 03:28 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz
I have front RB rotors on my 993 track car, Pagid yellows, black stock calipers. Rears were an issue for parking brake as I recall back a year or two.
And how do they work in the front?
If you still take the parking brake in place it might be an issue, my problem is find the size of the rotor in 299 mm.
I saw Rotorbrakes has the option with the parking brake surface inside the bell for their rear floating version in the correct size for the RS/Turbo, everyone is convinced the bigger rotors, the better the braking performance, while it is for sure like that, they forgive to ask themselves if they need all that additiinal braking torque.

From what I've put together so far, on a track day use, the bigger rotor is useful more in regards of having a bigger inertial heating mass, instead of having more torque.
The friction coefficient and the hability of the compound to maintain its friction property also at high temperatures is very very important, pagid yellow or blue are mandatory, much more than bigger rotors.

The limit to the braking torque transfer is the front and rear grip, that enables to use the additional braking torque by having a bigger friction between tarmac and tire compound. This is a real limit. Bigger rotors, more torque, same tires, yes, maybe the torque is developed different through the braking phase, but I am not sure that comparing the same car, with the same driver, only one with your set up kein Ersatz, the other one with bigger rotors, but same compound, the result would be very different on a 3 to 5 laps base.
This especially if both of them have got the auxiliary braking ducts in the front. I can't be sure of what I am writing, I am just guessing, hopefully I'll be able to check it personally soon.
The feeling on the brake pedal is surely different, since the big red package has an hydraulic system behind it.
Again, for sure the floating brake in their standard size for all the 4 wheels would save other nice 6 to 7 kg on the unsprung masses, and this is sure, mass is not an opinion, (Einstein would say also energy it isn't an opinion for the same reason... But we arent driving that fast so far) resulting in better wheel weight to body weight ratio for a better suspension job.
​​​​​

Last edited by nothingbutgt3; 03-30-2021 at 03:34 AM.
Old 03-30-2021, 12:30 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 468 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by nothingbutgt3

911 Silhouette

Preparing Limoncella for the paint

I am not a big fan of putty, but it comes in a very thin layer on very specific surfaces, days are passing by, but the moment of the painting is day after day closer and closer.
This is not the moment to be impatient and do things in a hurry, indeed, we are doing a detailed analysis and team work in order not to really leave anything to chance.

These pictures are in their original format and quality for Rennlist only, exclusively, better than those posted on Instagram.
Thank you RLers for supporting me from the very beginning
Contrary to what many may think, there's SOME filler/putty in all 911's of this age. Looking very very good!
nothingbutgt3 (03-30-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 09:10 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,120 Likes on 1,272 Posts

Contrary to what many may think, there's SOME filler/putty in all 911's of this age. Looking very very good!
Filler or seam sealer? I see a lot of repairs where filler is used but not from the factory. I agree it isn't a concern especially where it is.

Looking forward to seeing it painted.

Quick Reply: Project Limoncella - Restoring 993 into a CUP/RSR 1:1 tribute