993 Forum 1995-1998

Project Limoncella - Restoring 993 into a CUP/RSR 1:1 tribute

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 10:14 AM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by nothingbutgt3
​​​​​​Uhmmm... I am not sure the 15,7 kg of the steel one refer to the outer skin only like the 3,7 kg of the aluminum one do...

little morning question... I am not sure, since when I removed the lines I was more concentrated to avoid the mud in the eyes than paying attention to any other thing, but I think the 4 lines on the right are the fuel lines, while the 3 lines on the left should be the ones for the power assisted steering rack...and the shorter one in the middle, I don't know, but maybe is connection for the fuel line as well?
Paolo , mostly correct although the farthest right line is a return line from the expansion tank on the top of fuel tank and the furthest left in
picture is vacuum line from manifold to brake booster on steering rack ...Bert

Old 01-07-2021, 11:22 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Received 726 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by budge96
Paolo , mostly correct although the farthest right line is a return line from the expansion tank on the top of fuel tank and the furthest left in
picture is vacuum line from manifold to brake booster on steering rack ...Bert
Thank you Bert, I really wasn't sure, but for sure I am not going to reuse the oil lines for the steering, since I am going to install the electric power assisted version, which is located in the front trunk compartment and so it has much shorter lines.
I am not sure wheter to reuse the fuel lines or not: the crimped connections are rusted only on the surface, maybe with sand blasting and a good anti rust paint, they might be reused. When I opened the fuel tank there was a nice smell of petrol coming outside, I think the inner side of the lines is in perfect condition since the fuel system, with the exception of the tank, is completely sealed.
I am also going to reuse its original injectors, revised and checked.

I have to see if I can find the paperwork, we just re-skinned a door on an older 911 and I don't recall it being that heavy. I re-skinned my roof with a full panel from the factory and this is larger than the door skin. I should have weighed it before installing but I know it wasn't quite 15kg
Probably you are right and the aluminum RS doors have the same inner structure, but aluminum outer skin, which probably save some kgs, preserving the safety: composite doors are much lighter and they are interesting because the are all made of composites, not on one side only.
Old 01-07-2021, 04:35 PM
Talat
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe the aluminium doors are full aluminium not just outer skin - I sourced a pair for a friend and he paid EUR 15K for them (which was considered fairly cheap). There is a place in Poland that makes copies but again not cheap. I had a steel and aluminium door side by side and the aluminium door was silly light.
The following users liked this post:
nothingbutgt3 (01-07-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 04:49 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Talat
I believe the aluminium doors are full aluminium not just outer skin - I sourced a pair for a friend and he paid EUR 15K for them (which was considered fairly cheap). There is a place in Poland that makes copies but again not cheap. I had a steel and aluminium door side by side and the aluminium door was silly light.
W o W... Thank you for the precise details!
And this is probably the beauty of having a 993 Carrera and instead an RS... One must feel lucky paying 5k for composite doors instead of 15k for original RS ones 😅...uhm...
One can always modify the car to be exactly like an RS, but the VIN will always say what it IS not.
if anything I see this as an opportunity to go further in the modification and bring the driving experience to another level than the RS exact replica, for same or probably less money (than trying to make an RS replica).
Probably a collector would have the RS in his garage and also an e proved copy of it, for using it on the track

Chassis/Suspension Set-up/Engine/Gearbox/Aero/Brakes

Last edited by nothingbutgt3; 01-07-2021 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-08-2021, 05:25 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 124 Posts

full front cover steel = 14kg
https://www.rosepassion.com/en/diagr...65-cover-52465

full front cover aluminium = 7.6kg
https://www.rosepassion.com/en/diagr...01031grv-52466
Old 01-08-2021, 05:46 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by geolab
I've got a fiberglass hood that weighs 5,5kg, same as the carbon fiber versions.
For the rear hood and wing it would be very desirable a monocoque Single piece carbon fiber version, for removing weight from the rear of the car, reasonably between 5 to 10 kg weight reduction.
Mufflers removal (15kg weight reduction) would also be very desirable, but so far I wasn't able to find dB killer inserts to be applied at the exit of the x-pipe

Old 01-08-2021, 09:53 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,021 Likes on 1,211 Posts

So I had someone check the 993 RSR doors and they appear to be steel. I have to assume these were similar to the 964 RS or Cup cars that had steel doors but no door beams and thinner glass. The hood on the 993 RSR is an aluminum skin with a steel subframe similar to the one I had on my 3.0 RS tribute. The 3.0 RS aluminum doors I had from the factory IIRC were a steel frame with aluminum skin. Does anyone know what gauge aluminum those parts are and are they factory or aftermarket?

So is there a definitive source of info on the 993 RS and RSR that can be viewed? I would love to learn more. I am not sure how the 993 RS weighed so much less than the 964 3.6RS or 3.8RS? The 3.6RS had the aluminum hood and steel doors like the 993RSR and was somewhat similar. The 964 3.6RS weighs in at 2684 pounds or 1220kg and the US spec not ROW spec Cup car with the cage, and all the rest including air bags and power windows weighs in at 2835 pounds +/- or roughly 1286 kg. So I have to question the 993 cup car weight at 1130kg with the same cage, lift system, and other bits like the 964 cup car plus the heavy wing and other bits the 993 has over the 964. The primary reason I question this is the one off America GS owned by Bob Linton. That car has a full interior but was used as study for lightening and has more Carbon fiber than any 911. If weight could be reduced it was and he was trying to get to 1000kg but the cost for the custom made one off parts is just insane. The 964 and 993 tub are quite similar in general so I think there is a something amiss with some of these numbers.

I did have a chance to weigh an earlier 911 door without the frame and glass but had the non powered window mechanism. These have a less substantial reinforcement bar than the 964/993, all in 28 pounds so roughly 12.7 kg. I have and weighed most but not all of the material cut out of my doors and removal of the internals which took away a little more than 12 pounds so my guess is a 993 door cut as mine is roughly 17 pounds or 7.7kg but don't hold me to it.

Last edited by cobalt; 01-08-2021 at 10:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GilesHanna (01-30-2024)
Old 01-08-2021, 12:55 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cobalt
So I had someone check the 993 RSR doors and they appear to be steel. I have to assume these were similar to the 964 RS or Cup cars that had steel doors but no door beams and thinner glass. The hood on the 993 RSR is an aluminum skin with a steel subframe similar to the one I had on my 3.0 RS tribute. The 3.0 RS aluminum doors I had from the factory IIRC were a steel frame with aluminum skin. Does anyone know what gauge aluminum those parts are and are they factory or aftermarket?

So is there a definitive source of info on the 993 RS and RSR that can be viewed? I would love to learn more. I am not sure how the 993 RS weighed so much less than the 964 3.6RS or 3.8RS? The 3.6RS had the aluminum hood and steel doors like the 993RSR and was somewhat similar. The 964 3.6RS weighs in at 2684 pounds or 1220kg and the US spec not ROW spec Cup car with the cage, and all the rest including air bags and power windows weighs in at 2835 pounds +/- or roughly 1286 kg. So I have to question the 993 cup car weight at 1130kg with the same cage, lift system, and other bits like the 964 cup car plus the heavy wing and other bits the 993 has over the 964. The primary reason I question this is the one off America GS owned by Bob Linton. That car has a full interior but was used as study for lightening and has more Carbon fiber than any 911. If weight could be reduced it was and he was trying to get to 1000kg but the cost for the custom made one off parts is just insane. The 964 and 993 tub are quite similar in general so I think there is a something amiss with some of these numbers.

I did have a chance to weigh an earlier 911 door without the frame and glass but had the non powered window mechanism. These have a less substantial reinforcement bar than the 964/993, all in 28 pounds so roughly 12.7 kg. I have and weighed most but not all of the material cut out of my doors and removal of the internals which took away a little more than 12 pounds so my guess is a 993 door cut as mine is roughly 17 pounds or 7.7kg but don't hold me to it.

hi Anthony,
I saw this doors on the FVD website and I started drooling (I found this verb using Google translate, I dont know if it is the right way of saying it)

https://www.fvd.net/de-en/KEV5310050...g-141-lbs.html

So basically using these doors one should save 9kg on each side in comparison to standard steel doors, right?
Old 01-09-2021, 09:29 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,021 Likes on 1,211 Posts

hi Anthony,
I saw this doors on the FVD website and I started drooling (I found this verb using Google translate, I dont know if it is the right way of saying it)

So basically using these doors one should save 9kg on each side in comparison to standard steel doors, right?
It would appear that way. Gorgeous but the price? That would be x 2

and yes drooling is correct. Lol
Old 01-09-2021, 09:54 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 975 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Again with the full covering and roll cage inset into the door for easier entry and exit. I have to put the car back on the scales but it weighs about 2700 pounds with gas using all factory steel parts but no ventilation system. Being a boosted car I wasn't as concerned with getting every ounce of weight out of it. The power to weight ratio will be more than adequate. A different approach but I just like steel parts. Also my wife drives this so she insisted it had to look pretty with full interior. I am sure I could save a lot more weight if I didn't add all the pretty stuff. LOL

Not to go off topic (because I love the updates to this Limoncella project both here and on instagram) but that looks great man. Nice work and compromises.
The following 2 users liked this post by boomboomthump:
cobalt (01-10-2021), nothingbutgt3 (01-09-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 03:18 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 393 Posts

hi Anthony,

I'm also drooling over those FVD doors, wow, FVD offers a 10% Rennlist discount on many of their items, FYI. I've purchased the FVD crash bars and bumper supports - all excellent products, but they tend to exaggerate the weight savings. You may also want to check out Getty Design for the doors. Only $1,988 for the pair. The Evolution II Doors look nice with built in window frame, and they're only $2,399 for the pair. These may be going into my 964. I recently ordered a carbon fiber bumper from Getty and it's a piece of art. And do look at the lexan windows from Plastics4Performance . Great weight savings to be had there, and they're first rate.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foxman:
kos11-12 (06-17-2021), nothingbutgt3 (01-12-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 09:05 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by budge96
Paolo I think sourcing these circlips elsewhere is prudent I haven't checked my Porsche dealer or Sunset in Oregon but rest assured the Porsche tax is alive and well!
i got mine from McMaster Carr a hardware source here in the US , if you so choose you can go to their website and source high grade bolts
and nuts ..stainless , metric , plated , your choice !
Bert
Thank you Bert for your advice, and thank you Eürowise for your seriousness!

Don't ask me why, but I like very much the USA packaging colors and how things are written on the envelope... It feels like being in a movie.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:31 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

The crank shaft will be balanced together with LWF and its pressure plate, conn. rods and pistons, and the crank case will be carefully ispected.

It is a miracle the crankshaft and the camshafts, together with the cams, didn't have signs of corrosion on the mating surfaces.
I don't know what to expect from the balancing, but at least the engine will be back top fit, maybe better than when it was firstly assembled.
​​​​
​​
The following 2 users liked this post by nothingbutgt3:
kingroon (01-18-2021), SpeedyC2 (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 05:45 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

I couldn't resist buying the jacket and the 964 t-shirt... Wow, and I did well, they are not necessary for the project, but luckily I took this decision, they are like the cream and strawberry on the top of the cake!

Porsche addicted style Christmas Tree

Thank you to Darin and his staff for being so patient with me and fulfilling my expectations further than I could ever imagine

P. S. The personalized stitching on the jacket, wow, it's amazing! 😍
The following 4 users liked this post by nothingbutgt3:
darkgable79 (05-19-2021), imdvs (01-18-2021), kingroon (01-18-2021), SpeedyC2 (01-18-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 11:10 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Yesterday lately in the afternoon, I took the occasion for installing the pad keeper in the Silverina engine bay, a 20 minute job that I must say, it wasn't necessary, since the pad was still in decent condition, but it is also undeniable the engine bay now has a cleaner look. I wanted to tag David Etter on IG, but I wasn't able to find his account.

Nicely packaged pad keeper

Silverina engine bay

Then today arrived two packages from Rennline Inc. fulfilled of juicy yummy bits: the quality level of their parts isn't inferior to the one I found in the FD Motorsports parts.
They both have a very high level of design and manufacture.

From the very beginning my intention was to replicate kind of a streetable 993 CUP car, so I was looking for the wood floor boards, not really easy to find. But then I stumbled upon the aluminum floor boards FROM Rennline and to me it was a no Brainerd continuing with my search, since I know my car will never become an original CUP car, so what's the point of making a 100% replica of it, especially considering that the aluminum version is for sure less inflammable than the wood one. And yes, I got a little carried away on their site, maybe they have very racing style modifications for a standard 993, but in my case most of the things I their catalog were simply fitting my needs, otherwise I would somehow have to find or make myself.
​​​​​​The only regret is that there are no similar producers in Europe, but again, it's totally worth the longer shipment wait.

Matt black Aluminum floor boards, RS stulyle engine carrier reinforcements, RS style killer switch mount

It's almost a shame to mount them as they are beautiful

This mod should solve the issue with plastic covers to be changed to avoid oil leaks

Solid mounts, killer switch and its mount, airbag delete cover

Last edited by nothingbutgt3; 01-22-2021 at 11:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Project Limoncella - Restoring 993 into a CUP/RSR 1:1 tribute