Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Project Limoncella - Restoring 993 into a CUP/RSR 1:1 tribute

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 10:50 AM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 62 Posts

At least corrosion occurred here on my car. But maybe driving around Sunny Italy, you may not be too worried?

Last edited by Coleman; 05-05-2021 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:22 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Received 726 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleman

At least corrosion occurred here on my car. But maybe driving around Sunny Italy, you may not be too worried?
Thank you Coleman, I'll report it to the guy at the coachbuilder shop
Old 05-06-2021, 09:00 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 123 Posts

painted same color as car

I sealed them to body:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-rust-diy.html
The following users liked this post:
Coleman (05-06-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 10:35 AM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by geolab

I sealed them to body:

Geo. That was a good post. I used it as a reference when I cleaned mine up and put new support "wings" on-
geolab (05-07-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 11:47 AM
paranoidandroid
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

On the steering side, I already got the electrical steering pump, but I was also wondering what is requested to do for a power steering assistance removal, I mean, can I still use its original steering rack? What do I have to do in order to modify it without damaging it and without creating a risk for the on board safety?
The car will be very lightweight, so I don't think it will be such a big issue driving it without the power steering assistance.
​​
I believe you can use the original rack but I thought using deactivated p/s rack is still more effort than manual rack. Good thing you can always swap out the rack later. Is there someone who has a pre-89 who will let you take a run or two at the nearest track to get a feel?

Personally, i would leave power steering assist in. My arms get pretty sore after an afternoon of go-kart racing.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:36 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by geolab

I sealed them to body:

Yes, it is in the same color
Old 05-07-2021, 11:16 AM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Something like this could be a clean solution for the rear as per your previous question...
Old 05-08-2021, 09:36 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Coleman

Something like this could be a clean solution for the rear as per your previous question...
Nice, safe, away from heat and easy to use solution, but I am not going to install the matter cage, I would like to find out a titanium bolted cage in the same concept of the Das rollbar, which allows both the use of standard seat belts and 6 point harness, while providing some additional safety.
I see you had to split the canister lines to make them pass through the holes in the back of the cockpit.
Bht this is a really nice advice, so that canisters don't have disturb the engine bay environment

Old 05-11-2021, 03:24 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

I am discovering the 993 PET is missing many details, for example, how are the left and right rear quarter panels connected to the side members and to the rear fenders, how are they bolted?

Old 05-11-2021, 09:37 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by nothingbutgt3
MB, you must be right, later I go to the coachbuilder shop and check it.

I would like to understand which is the difference between this

Tarett Eng. Monoball Bearing Kit, Front Control Arm, 964/993

and this

Rennline Front Control Arm Bushing Set - Monoball

Is there anyone that has already installed the Tarett Monoball Adj. Rear A-Arms?

With the front and rear, plus engine mounts and camber plates all monoball is the car really so harsh for road use?

I compared with a friend and wrote it up: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...monoballs.html
Old 05-11-2021, 01:13 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75
I compared with a friend and wrote it up: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...monoballs.html
Thank you Tlaloc75, thanks to your post, no more doubt: reading it, the considerations about the solid subframe mounts in regards to the scary possibility of having amazing NVH insisting on the chassis and the cockpit environment, have disappeared.

Then also the B.Verburg assessment that the solid mounts play a very nice role while lowering the car below RS ride height, it is an even better news ...and surprisingly I am not the only one using the multi purpose WD40, since he suggests to spray it on the monoballs to extend the operating life of the joints.

Basically the car fully on solid joints makes a very track focus 993, while it is still acceptably/relatively comfortable for short driving on open roads.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:24 PM
paranoidandroid
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

I am discovering the 993 PET is missing many details, for example, how are the left and right rear quarter panels connected to the side members and to the rear fenders, how are they bolted?

Yes, the PET is missing some key info. The support panels are bolted in through the chassis. Jackal's write up here has alot of detailed pictures of this and his corresponding rust repair.
http://www.jackals-forge.com/lotus/9...issupports.htm

Last edited by paranoidandroid; 05-11-2021 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:44 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
Yes, the PET is missing some key info. The support panels are bolted in through the chassis. Jackal's write up here has alot of detailed pictures of this and his corresponding rust repair.
http://www.jackals-forge.com/lotus/9...issupports.htm
WOW, thank you paranoid: his 993, and the other in the pictures even more, had more rust than Limoncella!!!

How is this possible? The previous owners took care of her a lot, I know this for sure, since I know 3 of 4 of them, but this can't be all the story, somehow the mud or some other thing must have played a role preserving the body from corrosion...this is still a mistery to me
Old 05-11-2021, 02:11 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Thank you Tlaloc75, thanks to your post, no more doubt: reading it, the considerations about the solid subframe mounts in regards to the scary possibility of having amazing NVH insisting on the chassis and the cockpit environment, have disappeared.

Then also the B.Verburg assessment that the solid mounts play a very nice role while lowering the car below RS ride height, it is an even better news ...and surprisingly I am not the only one using the multi purpose WD40, since he suggests to spray it on the monoballs to extend the operating life of the joints.

Basically the car fully on solid joints makes a very track focus 993, while it is still acceptably/relatively comfortable for short driving on open roads.
I’m glad it helped. It was certainly fun to do and then write up!
nothingbutgt3 (05-11-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 05:54 PM
Holger3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 168 Posts

Honestly, this is a very subjective statement ... or you talking very, very short drives ... in my opinion, driving such setup on the road is a pain in the *** ... especially with the amount of humps we have here in Dubai ...

Quick Reply: Project Limoncella - Restoring 993 into a CUP/RSR 1:1 tribute