Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992.2 April 2024 Release

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2023, 11:51 PM
R N M
Racer

Received 263 Likes on 116 Posts

Some additional confirmation from my dealer.

All models will be hybrid besides base 911.
Base model will get a small bump in power to 387hp.

No more manual transmissions for any 911 not sure if they will bring out T later. This probably doesn’t include GT cars.

They mentioned the hybrid battery will be in the front which doesn’t make much sense to me unless these will be AWD?

I really can’t believe that Porsche is doing such drastic changes on the 911 on a refresh. All their other models - Cayenne, Macan, Panamera have not gone fully hybrid. Hell the refreshed Cayenne S got the V8 back! This just makes no sense considering they said 911 will be last pure ICE model in the lineup…..
Old 11-11-2023, 12:40 AM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts

Isn’t it a mild hybrid? It’s not an actual hybrid like a Prius is a hybrid.
Old 11-11-2023, 01:02 AM
tna3
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by R N M

No more manual transmissions for any 911 not sure if they will bring out T later. This probably doesn’t include GT cars.

They mentioned the hybrid battery will be in the front which doesn’t make much sense to me unless these will be AWD?

I really can’t believe that Porsche is doing such drastic changes on the 911 on a refresh. All their other models - Cayenne, Macan, Panamera have not gone fully hybrid. Hell the refreshed Cayenne S got the V8 back! This just makes no sense considering they said 911 will be last pure ICE model in the lineup…..
All of your hypotheses aligns also with what I inferred. I think they will carry the manual like you say only in the GT cars and a T model with the base ICE engine. Remember Porsche has no problem doing a late introduction with the manuals as they did with 992.1 as well. With everything else being hybrid it means manuals will start to cost Porsche more $ to meet emissions and fuel economy standards. So it makes sense to start limiting production to just a few models. You will have to pay more $ if you want the manual so Porsche can use the money for carbon offsets elsewhere. There is still time to grab 992.1 S or GTS manual before these are no longer produced!
Old 11-11-2023, 01:10 AM
Fishah
Burning Brakes

Received 1,480 Likes on 540 Posts

If the Base, S and GTS come with an automatic, I would be shocked if they released a T with a manual. I bet the T dies in that scenario.
Old 11-11-2023, 07:52 AM
Johnauto
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

So Base 992.2 is the only non-hybrid of the Carreras. Not good news.
Old 11-11-2023, 08:15 AM
txpackers
Racer

Received 306 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by tna3
All of your hypotheses aligns also with what I inferred. I think they will carry the manual like you say only in the GT cars and a T model with the base ICE engine. Remember Porsche has no problem doing a late introduction with the manuals as they did with 992.1 as well. With everything else being hybrid it means manuals will start to cost Porsche more $ to meet emissions and fuel economy standards. So it makes sense to start limiting production to just a few models. You will have to pay more $ if you want the manual so Porsche can use the money for carbon offsets elsewhere. There is still time to grab 992.1 S or GTS manual before these are no longer produced!
The possibility of no manual in the 992.2 is another reason I grabbed a 992.1 with an ADM. I just could not get a brand new 911 without a manual transmission. So glad it’s in my garage now.

I truly hope they continue to keep the manual transmission. It’s a joy to drive.
Old 11-11-2023, 12:41 PM
KM20Turbo
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 45 Posts

What’s their info source? My dealership is clueless.
Old 11-11-2023, 02:24 PM
Ukrr
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnauto
So Base 992.2 is the only non-hybrid of the Carreras. Not good news.
so my info is 992.2 launch in 2024 is base carrera and carrera 4 and higher models (presume hybrid) will launch in 2025
Old 11-11-2023, 03:17 PM
R N M
Racer

Originally Posted by KM20Turbo
What’s their info source? My dealership is clueless.
Dealer Management had call / meeting with Porsche on the upcoming 911. Not sure if other models were discussed.

It seems to align with info posted from others in this thread.

I’m sure there will be specialty models with a manual a la ST and Sport Classic. They will be limited and cost a bunch of $$$.
Old 11-11-2023, 05:17 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

Yes, but what type of hybridization is the big question. A so-called ‘mild hybrid’, which arguably isn’t a hybrid at all, is a world of difference from a plug-in vehicle. An E-Ray type of hybrid is somewhere in between, but would make all ‘hybrid’ Carreras AWD. My bet is on ‘mild hybrids’, which is much ado about nothing.

FWIW, battery placement can be anywhere in the vehicle…whatever is best for packaging and weight distribution, so naturally in the front for a 911.
Old 11-11-2023, 05:26 PM
GTS2022
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 84 Posts

I can’t imagine they won’t have manual transmission in 992.2 Carreras except T.
Old 11-11-2023, 05:31 PM
R N M
Racer

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Yes, but what type of hybridization is the big question. A so-called ‘mild hybrid’, which arguably isn’t a hybrid at all, is a world of difference from a plug-in vehicle. An E-Ray type of hybrid is somewhere in between, but would make all ‘hybrid’ Carreras AWD. My bet is on ‘mild hybrids’, which is much ado about nothing.

FWIW, battery placement can be anywhere in the vehicle…whatever is best for packaging and weight distribution, so naturally in the front for a 911.
I’m personally not interested even in a mild-hybrid as it adds weight, complexity without much benefits. The turbo lag issue is irrelevant in the real world and the mild-hybrid will do nothing to improve throthel response as if the car was NA.
The following users liked this post:
RatherJaded (11-11-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 05:34 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 955 Likes on 531 Posts

It all depends on how "good" the hybrid implementation is. If they mis-step, people will flip their "orders" to the ICE Base which of course would then become even more unattainable than it is now. I think the real issue with the S/GTS is going to be - is the hybrid a single turbo engine now? To trim weight, it might have to be, somewhere they have to recover the weight penalty spent on the battery and the electric motor.

Last edited by nyca; 11-11-2023 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-11-2023, 05:35 PM
ctdubl07
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

Had a chat with my dealership SM. He said after the recent allocation drop, he had a quick call with his Regional on an issue and was given some general intel that the regional admitted was very loose....but seems to match some of above: .2 C2 powertrain unchanged but ecu boost. As usual, some options will become standard but it will also get some more interesting standard colors/opt colors.
Battery assist will be in C2S and above. Any fall deliveries 2024 will be likely be C2/4/S/4S with variants being delivered in 2025. Debut April at NYAS.
Randomly he was also told he would not be getting any more .1 S allocations.

Last edited by ctdubl07; 11-11-2023 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-11-2023, 05:35 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

I’m personally not interested even in a mild-hybrid as it adds weight, complexity without much benefits. The turbo lag issue is irrelevant in the real world and the mild-hybrid will do nothing to improve throthel response as if the car was NA.
Not necessarily. Can be neutral in weight while actually reducing parts/complexity, and provide great smoothness, torque, and throttle response in conditions most of us use these cars 90% of the time.

Last edited by Alan Smithee; 11-11-2023 at 05:38 PM.

Quick Reply: 992.2 April 2024 Release