Sponsored by:

992.2 Carrera spotted testing

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 08:36 PM
phow
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Yes, but the difference is, you said “100% of 911’s would only be ICE for the next decade”. I said, I am certain that a hybrid variant of the 911 would be introduced within 5 years, and certainly, by this decade. See the difference? Porsche has a history of offering variants in it’s popular models, and a hybrid will be such a variant. From what I have read, the major deterrent to the hybridization of the 911, right now, is not technology, or the purists that only want ICE, but space, Something will have to give to make room for the batteries….

If I was to buy another 992 right now, it would be a Turbo S. I just don’t see much difference between the S and the GT, to justify the GT’s $12-15K price jump. While the GT3 is a different animal. But since I only occasionally go to the track, much of the benefits of the GT3 would be lost on the street. That said, I suspect that by the time I am ready to replace my 992 S, the 911 lineup will look different from what it does right now? Ideally, for me, Porsche hybridizes the Turbo S to make it an unbeatable car. A car that will have no equal - at least in a straight line. If/when that happens, I will be at my dealership leaving a deposit.

As far as your last comment about the line “around the block”….LOL, that pretty much was the case most of the year, with their current lineup of cars….selling everything they had, at a premium. Porsche does a remarkable job with their image, and getting customers lined up to pay anything for a car that should be 25% less expensive.

https://christophorus.porsche.com/en...t-reimold.html

As far as Porsche meeting current emission standards…well, the key word here is “current:”. I have no knowledge of German/EU emission requirements in the coming years?

Offering a hybrid 911, as just one of several other variant 911 models, is still an ICE powered car, and allows the remaining 911 models to be only ICE powered. The “electrification” of cars is here, now…and Porsche knows that. Then, of course, when I go to various PCA events and i look around the lot of Porsche owners, I see a lot of white haired men. Age and wealth does have it’s perks…but the next generation of Porsche buyers, I suspect, will not be like today’s Porsche buyers, and will want hybrid/ev options. One of my neighbors is a good example. He’s in his mid-30’s as best I would guess, and earlier this year he sold his two Porsche (one a 911/991.x) and opted to replace them with 2 Tesla’s…a SUV for his family, and the Plaid for him (a car faster than even the Turbo S). I’m not in the car business, but I am pretty aware of the Porsche demographics, and without a doubt, it;’s an older crowd.

Just the words from the Porsche CEO. That’s all I need to quote. Although CEO’s, like politicians, will mislead to manipulate the public. Elon Musk is a perfect example of that.
I don’t have time to respond to your entire post but I will say that certainty is certainty regardless of how major or minor that certainty is. When you criticize one type of certainty in favor of another, you just sound hypocritical.

Of course I’m not referring to the current market which sees lines around the block for almost every car, not just what Porsche sells. This is not a new normal. Supply and demand will level out again for “normal” models and I expect special models will still remain in high demand and command premiums as they always have.

The bottomline is neither of know what Porsche will bring to market until it is officially announced. You believe we will see hybrid 911’s in the next 5 years and I disagree. Let’s allow time to do it’s thing and see what happens.
Old 02-05-2022, 09:02 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,231 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Originally Posted by phow
I don’t have time to respond to your entire post but I will say that certainty is certainty regardless of how major or minor that certainty is. When you criticize one type of certainty in favor of another, you just sound hypocritical.
Not “hypocritical” at all, but nice try. Mathematically, there is a difference between what I said, and what you said.

Of course I’m not referring to the current market which sees lines around the block for almost every car, not just what Porsche sells. This is not a new normal. Supply and demand will level out again for “normal” models and I expect special models will still remain in high demand and command premiums as they always have.
Not just “current”. I put a deposit down on my 992S on June 2020. I took delivery 10 months later. The demand for 992’s has been strong for - at least - two years. Maybe longer? There are two issues we are talking about. One is the demand for the 992, and the other is the supply. The demand has remained strong for some time, while the supply tanked during the pandemic. That has resulted in people having to wait longer for delivery of their car, and the disappearance of any discounts. But the demand (people lined up to get the 992) has been around since I started shopping for my 992 at the end of 2019/Spring of 2020.

The bottomline is neither of know what Porsche will bring to market until it is officially announced. You believe we will see hybrid 911’s in the next 5 years and I disagree. Let’s allow time to do it’s thing and see what happens.
We can agree that neither of us know with any certainty.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-05-2022 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-05-2022, 09:10 PM
phow
Pro

I’m sorry your supposed “elite education” didn’t teach you the difference. 😎

Not “hypocritical” at all.

Not just “current”. I put a deposit down on my 992S on June 2020. I took delivery 10 months later. The demand for 992’s has been strong for - at least - two years. Maybe longer? There are two issues we are talking about. One is the demand for the 992, and the other is the supply. The demand has remained strong for some tinge, while the supply tanked during the pandemic. Luckily, I was able to negotiate a discount, but heard from my SA that I was one of the last to get the discount. My dealership stopped giving any kind of discount by the end of the Summer of 2020.

We can agree that neither of us know with any certainty.
Cool story bro. Enjoy your carrera.
The following 2 users liked this post by phow:
dchang81 (02-10-2022), surquhar (02-05-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 09:35 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Cool story bro. Enjoy your carrera.

Always. 👍 Went for a ride just a few hours ago.
Old 02-05-2022, 11:37 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

As Ipse Dixit posted evo's link on their take of the prototype, here is an excerpt: (highlighted for emphasis)

“..... We expect these to be the new sports exhaust option – close in concept to the 991.2, which had a similar placement. As for what engine they’re connected to, it’s too early to be sure, but it’s most likely to be the existing twin-turbocharged 3-litre flat-six unit. Some rumours have suggested a return to a naturally-aspirated motor, making use of the 4-litre unit as found in the Cayman and Boxster GTS 4.0, but this would see performance of the 992.2 drop significantly in comparison to its predecessor – something we suspect buyers of Carreras would take issue with, even if it was in exchange for the added engagement associated with the naturally-aspirated flat-six. ......”

This is a plausible explanation. Makes sense. The reason for the new Sport Exhaust is possibly due to GPF; hence the reprofiled exhaust pipes.

As much as I would love a "slow" NA engine (and 6 MT with no Auto Blip or with off-switch), unlikely to happen. NA engines are done. 992.2 Turbo is expected to have a hybrid system. That could trickle down to all non-GT models of 994. When Porsche says ICE will continue as long as they can, it could actually mean ICE + some kind of hybrid, not pure-play ICE. Euro 7 regs are kicking in '25 (or, '26), though some delay is expected. I couldn't find any reporting of being approved yet. But, if approved, they are very onerous. It's a bad news for ICE and sound. Here are few readings:

Euro 7 - Auto Express

Euro 7 - Autoscoops

Euro 7 - AutoCar

So, from MY26, it's gonna get ugly for ICE. 992.2 will be a short run anyway.

Besides, though 718's 4.0 is a good engine, it did have some reliability issues (I stopped tracking a while back). The sound isn't traditional flat-6. 992.2 most likely will have GPF for N.A. market, which kills the sound. When the GPF is deleted and replaced with a straight pipe, 718s drone! Kline has it's own filter in GPF-delete to mitigate. Even then, with a x-system slip-on, the sound isn't as good (my references are 991.2 GT3 and 981 Spyder). The engine is derived from 3.0 turbo; that might be a reason for the non-traditional sound, in my novice theory. That's one of the reasons I got turned off by 982 Spyder. The 6MT seems to have a grinding in 1-2 for some, at least for a while.

So, that 4.0 may not be an ideal choice, unless Porsche fixed the issues I cited. But, I think it's moot; 992.2 may not get it.

Last edited by spyderphile; 02-05-2022 at 11:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
992uk (02-06-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 09:31 AM
phow
Pro

Originally Posted by the_rider

Besides, though 718's 4.0 is a good engine, it did have some reliability issues (I stopped tracking a while back). The sound isn't traditional flat-6. 992.2 most likely will have GPF for N.A. market, which kills the sound. When the GPF is deleted and replaced with a straight pipe, 718s drone! Kline has it's own filter in GPF-delete to mitigate. Even then, with a x-system slip-on, the sound isn't as good (my references are 991.2 GT3 and 981 Spyder). The engine is derived from 3.0 turbo; that might be a reason for the non-traditional sound, in my novice theory. That's one of the reasons I got turned off by 982 Spyder. The 6MT seems to have a grinding in 1-2 for some, at least for a while.

So, that 4.0 may not be an ideal choice, unless Porsche fixed the issues I cited. But, I think it's moot; 992.2 may not get it.
This is absolute nonsense. OPF instantly improves 4.0 dramatically and there is zero drone. If you do additional exhaust mods along with OPF delete, drone has been reported and this is why it’s recommended to do one or the other. As someone that actually owns a 718 GT4 with the OPF delete, I can speak to this from personal experience.

I also own a 991.2 GT3. I agree the sound produced is not the same but nearly everyone that actually owns the car agrees that it’s not better or worse, just a different tone. And at WOT with OPF delete it sounds incredible. Far better than any Turbo or Carrera currently on the market,

And again, as someone who actually owns the car and knows many other 718/981 GT4 owners, this is the first report I have heard of gears 1-2 “grinding”. The shifting feel in the GT4/Spyder is the best I’ve experienced and that feeling is shared by almost every automotive journalist that has reviewed the car. I actually prefer the GT4’s manual to my GT3’s…

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion about cars and if you prefer the Carrera line to the GT4, I would never argue one is better than the other as it’s all personal preference, not to mention they are not even comparable vehicles. But passing along anecdotal third party accounts as fact both about “drone” and gear “grinding” is what makes these boards so confusing for newcomers.
The following users liked this post:
Gibberish (02-22-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 09:49 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

No idea, and don’t care, whether this is a related / same issue on the 4.0 liter Porsche engines…but a 2021 stop sale and recall of some of the cars with the 4.0 liter engine would seem to indicate there’s a problem

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/04/09/...spyder-recall/

Porsche has issued a stop-sale on 718 Spyder, Boxster and Cayman models equipped with its adored 4.0-liter flat-6 due to a defective batch of engine connecting rods. Porsche says the defective rods may crack and loosen, which can lead to engine failure and other subsequent calamities.”

https://www.motor1.com/news/500096/2...models-recall/

The problem lies with the connecting rod that connects the piston to the crankshaft. According to the recall document released, there's a possibility that these connecting rods were not manufactured according to specification. This could lead to cracks, creating a loss of preload on the connecting rod screw connection. The connecting rods were manufactured by Hoeckle Austria GmbH.

More importantly, the defective connecting rods may lead to damages to the engine block, stalling, loss of power, and oil leakage when driven at high loads. There's also a risk of fire due to these damages
.”

Happy motoring….

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-06-2022 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-06-2022, 10:05 AM
phow
Pro

No idea, and don’t care, whether this is a related / same issue on the 4.0 liter Porsche engines…but a stop sale and recall of the cars with the 4.0 liter engine would seem ton indicate there’s a problem

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/04/09/...spyder-recall/

Porsche has issued a stop-sale on 718 Spyder, Boxster and Cayman models equipped with its adored 4.0-liter flat-6 due to a defective batch of engine connecting rods. Porsche says the defective rods may crack and loosen, which can lead to engine failure and other subsequent calamities.”
Yup has zero to do with supposed “gear grinding” in the transmission or exhaust “drone” from OPF delete that I was addressing.

The problem you cited was resolved and is no longer an issue in current 4.0 cars. You can find several threads on the stop sale if you search the board. Nothing new to see here. Porsche like other manufacturers has a history of recalls, especially on newly introduced motors.

I personally lived through the 991.1 GT3 engine issues which was a real problem that impacted all 2014 cars and some 2015’s but Porsche took care of everyone and gave us all 10 year motor warranties so I can’t complain too much.

^ This incident is not even comparable to the stop sale on the 4.0 because here they simply discovered a bad batch of parts that only impacted 190 cars.

Old 02-06-2022, 10:47 AM
TheStanman
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 22992
991.2 and 992 were/are both hot sellers. I feel like the NA or die crowd are vocal but small.
No one is saying there isn't plenty of demand for turbos. There is big demand for turbos and NA (see GTS 4.0 and GT3), just like PDK and manual.

Part of the business rationale is it brings new customers to the Porsche brand. As NA options become slim, more people buy Porsches because it's the only way to get an NA sports car. We're seeing that with the manual trans today.

Anyone who talks with absolute certainty about future Porsche products is just blowing smoke. Porsche has done many unexpected things recently and are the king of offering options. 3 years ago, people would have bet 10:1 odds that we'd never see a full-bore GT3 engine in a 718 yet here we are.

Only time will tell.
Old 02-06-2022, 10:51 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Yup has zero to do with supposed “gear grinding” in the transmission or exhaust “drone” from OPF delete that I was addressing.
So, from the 3rd party’s comments a few posts up, the car has other issues, too, besides the problem with the 4.0 liter engine? Wow, cool. Sign me up?😳

Yes, nothing says “enjoy your new $100K toy”, like having your engine replaced after only a few hundred miles, and being unable to drive for, maybe, more than 6 months, until your engine gets replaced. 👍 That said, i appreciate that chit happens, and at least, Porsche acted responsibly in dealing with a tough situation that could alienate a lot of folks.

This is from one of the many Rennlist threads on the topic that you referred me to:

I just received this from Porsche:This notice applies to your ordered vehicle: WPXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Dear Mr. XXXXXXXX,

Please accept our sincere apology for the delay of your eagerly awaited 718 Cayman GT4, as well as the delay in providing details about the process that will finally get this car into your garage. Since our last communication, we have been working diligently with our Porsche AG colleagues to develop a solution which will give you the highest level of confidence in the quality and durability of your car. We appreciate the feedback from many future owners who helped guide this process.

Technical Solution
Your original production engine will be replaced with a brand-new, factory-built engine. The work will be completed by your dealership’s factory-trained technicians, who have significant experience removing and replacing engines, as this is common practice for many 718 maintenance operations. Engines will begin arriving in early June, and because production is limited, we expect that the final engines will reach us in late September 2021. We will do our best to supply these engines according to each customer’s order date using a first-in, first-out principle.”

Yep, nothing to see here. Bwhahhahahahahhahha. 😂

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-06-2022 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-06-2022, 11:00 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by TheStanman
No one is saying there isn't plenty of demand for turbos. There is big demand for turbos and NA (see GTS 4.0 and GT3), just like PDK and manual.

Part of the business rationale is it brings new customers to the Porsche brand. As NA options become slim, more people buy Porsches because it's the only way to get an NA sports car. We're seeing that with the manual trans today.

Anyone who talks with absolute certainty about future Porsche products is just blowing smoke. Porsche has done many unexpected things recently and are the king of offering options. 3 years ago, people would have bet 10:1 odds that we'd never see a full-bore GT3 engine in a 718 yet here we are.

Only time will tell.

My take was, and still is - Hybrid/EV technology is continuing to permeate every car manufacturer, and Porsche is no exception. Hell, if the “electrification” of race cars is already happening, surely the “electrification” of a 911 can’t be far behind? ? IMO, the only real unknown for the 911, with it’s limited space, will be when, and not if.

That said, short of production line capacity, there is nothing that would prohibit Porsche from introducing a hybrid 911, along with it’s other variants…and let the consumer decide what variant it wants? I for one believe that a hybrid Turbo S would be unrivaled by any street legal automobile.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-06-2022 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-06-2022, 11:09 AM
phow
Pro

So, from the 3rd party’s comments a few posts up, the car has other issues, besides the problem with the 4.0 liter engine? Wow, cool.

Yes, nothing says “enjoy your new $100K toy”, like having your engine replaced after only a few hundred miles, and being unable to drive for, maybe, more than 6 months, until your engine gets replaced. 👍 That said, i appreciate that chit happens, and at least, Porsche acted responsibly in dealing with a tough situation that could alienate a lot of folks.

This is from one of the many Rennlist threads on the topic that you referred me to:

I just received this from Porsche:This notice applies to your ordered vehicle: WPXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Dear Mr. XXXXXXXX,

Please accept our sincere apology for the delay of your eagerly awaited 718 Cayman GT4, as well as the delay in providing details about the process that will finally get this car into your garage. Since our last communication, we have been working diligently with our Porsche AG colleagues to develop a solution which will give you the highest level of confidence in the quality and durability of your car. We appreciate the feedback from many future owners who helped guide this process.

Technical Solution
Your original production engine will be replaced with a brand-new, factory-built engine. The work will be completed by your dealership’s factory-trained technicians, who have significant experience removing and replacing engines, as this is common practice for many 718 maintenance operations. Engines will begin arriving in early June, and because production is limited, we expect that the final engines will reach us in late September 2021. We will do our best to supply these engines according to each customer’s order date using a first-in, first-out principle.”

Yep, nothing to see here. Bwhahhahahahahhahha. 😂
Apparently you are very new to performance cars that are pushing what is possible from an engineering standpoint. GT customers get this and generally speaking, our GT cars aren’t the only cars in the garage. So in the off chance that something goes wrong with arguably the most reliable line of track focused cars in the world, we have other toys in the garage to enjoy in the meantime. I have owned 6 GT cars at this point only experienced one issue which was with the 991.1, and my motor was replaced within 30 days.

That is not to say it’s not a serious issue but I know of no other brand like Porsche that steps up the way they do. Not to mention, the majority of the customers impacted by the 4.0 issue (again 190 in total…) didn’t even have their cars yet. The 991.1 GT3 issue was literally impacting every 2014 car and some 2015’s. These cars were blowing motors at the track and Porsche offered free replacement motors for up to ten years.

Not to worry though. Your FI 3.0 will undoubtedly serve you with zero issues as it sits at the bottom of what Porsche considers to be their true high performance vehicles and one of the least involving sports car driving experiences Porsche has to offer.

I’ll take my GT cars any day over any current carrera, even if they were to blow their motors once per year lol…
Old 02-06-2022, 12:13 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Apparently you are very new to performance cars that are pushing what is possible from an engineering standpoint. GT customers get this and generally speaking, our GT cars aren’t the only cars in the garage. So in the off chance that something goes wrong with arguably the most reliable line of track focused cars in the world, we have other toys in the garage to enjoy in the meantime. I have owned 6 GT cars at this point only experienced one issue which was with the 991.1, and my motor was replaced within 30 days.

That is not to say it’s not a serious issue but I know of no other brand like Porsche that steps up the way they do. Not to mention, the majority of the customers impacted by the 4.0 issue (again 190 in total…) didn’t even have their cars yet. The 991.1 GT3 issue was literally impacting every 2014 car and some 2015’s. These cars were blowing motors at the track and Porsche offered free replacement motors for up to ten years.

Not to worry though. Your FI 3.0 will undoubtedly serve you with zero issues as it sits at the bottom of what Porsche considers to be their true high performance vehicles and one of the least involving sports car driving experiences Porsche has to offer.

I’ll take my GT cars any day over any current carrera, even if they were to blow their motors once per year lol…

Wow, I’m not sure how to respond to your opinion-laced tirade…but it did make me laugh. Glad to see you appointed yourself the GT spokesman. Is that just for NA, or world-wide? 😎 I’m speechless at the arrogance. Truly.

But back to your rant…why do I care, and what relevance does it have for you to tell me you have a garage full of “other toys to keep you busy” if your 4.0 liter GT4 breaks down? WTF was that about? You seem to be saying - who cares if the engine needed to be replaced, or has other issues (as mentioned several posts up)_..since all GT owners have other cars to keep them busy. Is this now a who has more toys discussion? I have a Cessna 172 (see avatar) in a hangar 20 miles from my house, a 32’ SeaRay 50 yards away at my dock, and a M4 and Lexus RX in my garage to keep me busy if something should happen to my 992S….but who the F*ck cares, and WTF does any of that have to do with the reliability issues of the 4.0 liter engines being discussed? 😱

As for what “car you will take over…blah, blah”….do you think I care what you think, or prefer? Really? If I need Porsche technical advice, I seek the advice of my two grad school buddies that regularly track their non-street legal GT3 or GT3 RS. Coincidentally, both recommended that I “start” with with the 992 or 992 S (both are a LOT of fun to drive, and more suited as a daily driver than the GT3), and if I start tracking regularly, a big if, to maybe consider getting a track-only Porsche, that is kept off-site and trailered to the track when needed. Personally, I like their suggestion, but a long way off from making this commitment. So, spare me your rant, and supposed GT expertise, “bro”.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-06-2022 at 01:43 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
peterdouglas (02-06-2022), SBAD (02-06-2022), westcoastj (02-11-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 12:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 796 Likes on 427 Posts

This is a sincere post. I don't get it. Educate me. I've had my fair share of vehicles and I don't understand. Different does not mean bad to me, or less engaging. My S rides tight, handles great, the quickness of the pdk is phenomenal. It is fast, too fast for me, I will never exploit it to it's fullest potential. My heart races when I drive it like a holligan as evidenced by apple watch readings lol. It scares the **** out of my wife and children and people gawk over it everywhere it goes. The only thing I can find fault in this car is the exhaust note and Db level. Does it boil down to that? if I can somehow fake a NA GT3 scream in cabin would you be fooled into thinking it is more of a car? With a tune and some Cup 2's it would be giving any GT3 out there a run for their money and likely beat prior generations. Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the tubo cars of prior generations the most sought after and collectable, thinking G Body and air cooled generations. Why are those turbos good and 992 turbos bad? There's a lot I don't understand going on here. To me, an awesome car is an awesome car. It doesn't need to mimick another awsome car to be awsome in it's own right. Approch each experince with an open mind, after all, if you look for what's wrong and what a car isn't ...you will certainly find it.

Old 02-06-2022, 12:47 PM
SBAD
Pro

Received 707 Likes on 278 Posts

Congratulations. No matter the validity of any points you are trying to make, you have managed to make yourself look like a real jerk.
The following 7 users liked this post by SBAD:
CodyBigdog (02-06-2022), detansinn (02-06-2022), ngamountains (02-06-2022), peterdouglas (02-06-2022), S S (02-06-2022), westcoastj (02-11-2022), Wilsontour (02-06-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: 992.2 Carrera spotted testing