Sponsored by:

992.2 Carrera spotted testing

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 09:49 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,231 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Originally Posted by Sausage416
By turbo, I meant the capital T 911 turbo/s. As far as a base carrera, and carrera s having more sales is rather simple, anyone can place an order for a c2s, but most can’t get an msrp gt3 allocation, unless one’s willing to cough up 100k-150k mark up. Also why didn’t you buy a touring, it’s probably the most beautiful 992 currently in production?
I don’t know about the validity of your statement regarding the $100k-$150K markup on the GT3? A guy I met at a local PCA event was driving his new 992 GT3 and he told me he paid “just shy of $180K”. I have no idea how much of that was markup, or options?? The MSRP on my 2021 992 S was $158K (with options).

I agree, the touring version looks very sharp, and would suite my desire for an understated look, more than the boy racer option. But the touring was not available when I purchased my S in late 2020. In fact, no 992 GT3 was available at that time. In hindsight, I’m glad I did not get the GT3, and no, money was never a concern. In the end, I got exactly the car that fits my needs and use (ie, everything about the car already far exceeds my capabilities as a driver on the street). But ultimately, the need for power/speed is of greater interest to me, and if I chose, can easily, and significantly, bump the power with a software flash for under $2K. That’s pretty cool.

I mentioned this before - the advice I got from two college buddies that track their cars (one a GT3 and other GT3 Cup) every available weekend for much of the year. Very dedicated and knowledgeable folk. They advised, when ready and want to track regularly, to get a dedicated track car and have it trailered to the track. Slicks, full rolll cage, gutted inside to reduce weight, etc, etc. They also suggested i first start with a lower powered, but mid-engine car like an older Cayman (non-turbo) to learn the fundamentals before attempting to break any track records (LOL). So, if I decide I want to commit to more time to tracking, that’s what I will do. But unlike my two college buddies, I have many other hobbies, outside of cars, that keep me very busy…so, we’ll see?

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-08-2022 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-08-2022, 01:09 PM
R N M
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
I don’t know about the validity of your statement regarding the $100k-$150K markup on the GT3? A guy I met at a local PCA event was driving his new 992 GT3 and he told me he paid “just shy of $180K”. I have no idea how much of that was markup, or options?? The MSRP on my 2021 992 S was $158K (with options).

I agree, the touring version looks very sharp, and would suite my desire for an understated look, more than the boy racer option. But the touring was not available when I purchased my S in late 2020. In fact, no 992 GT3 was available at that time. In hindsight, I’m glad I did not get the GT3, and no, money was never a concern. In the end, I got exactly the car that fits my needs and use (ie, everything about the car already far exceeds my capabilities as a driver on the street). But ultimately, the need for power/speed is of greater interest to me, and if I chose, can easily, and significantly, bump the power with a software flash for under $2K. That’s pretty cool.

I mentioned this before - the advice I got from two college buddies that track their cars (one a GT3 and other GT3 Cup) every available weekend for much of the year. Very dedicated and knowledgeable folk. They advised, when ready and want to track regularly, to get a dedicated track car and have it trailered to the track. Slicks, full rolll cage, gutted inside to reduce weight, etc, etc. They also suggested i first start with a lower powered, but mid-engine car like an older Cayman (non-turbo) to learn the fundamentals before attempting to break any track records (LOL). So, if I decide I want to commit to more time to tracking, that’s what I will do. But unlike my two college buddies, I have many other hobbies, outside of cars, that keep me very busy…so, we’ll see?
Sure you can get a GT3 at MSRP if you’re a VIP customer or are trading in an existing GT3 at a huge discount so dealer can make $50k+.

There are zero allocations available unless you pay markup and cars that are on the ground have average ADMs of $100-150k.

Anybody that loves driving and plans to use the 911 as a weekend car would choose a GT3 if $$$ was no option. Its engineered to a much higher standard and provides a much more involved driving experience.

If you need a daily or just like a luxury sports car that you can push on occasion then Carrera S is the best out there. Even a base 992 is an amazing sports car but GT3 are that much better and you don’t need to be a hardcore track junky to enjoy them on backroads.
Old 02-08-2022, 01:23 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by R N M
Sure you can get a GT3 at MSRP if you’re a VIP customer or are trading in an existing GT3 at a huge discount so dealer can make $50k+.

There are zero allocations available unless you pay markup and cars that are on the ground have average ADMs of $100-150k.

Anybody that loves driving and plans to use the 911 as a weekend car would choose a GT3 if $$$ was no option. Its engineered to a much higher standard and provides a much more involved driving experience.

If you need a daily or just like a luxury sports car that you can push on occasion then Carrera S is the best out there. Even a base 992 is an amazing sports car but GT3 are that much better and you don’t need to be a hardcore track junky to enjoy them on backroads.

Thx. And yes, I appreciate the GT3 is engineered to take the abuse that the track dishes out. I am a long way off from even approaching the limits of my car, let alone a GT3, on the track. As it is, my wife will no long drive with me in my S (she already threw up once - out the window - while driving in the hills of W Virginia), when I go out for a “spirited drive”…and sometimes, the car even scares me. So, getting a car that’s even “more exciting to drive”, than my 992 S, is not the issue.

Just to clarify, the person I mentioned only told me what he paid for his GT3. We didn’t get into the specifics of whether he was a VIP, or was trading in another GT3. As far as getting an allocation/wait times…he waited 5 months. I waited 6 months (after I received my allocation) for my 992S. We got our Porsche from different local dealerships. But maybe timing is everything? That’s all I know.

Until I track a few times, and decide whether I want to commit to the cost and time of becoming a regular, I’m confident I made the right choice. If I do decide that it’s something I really want to spend the time and money on….then I’m leaning, per the advice of my college buds, towards getting a used, track-only Porsche. That could be a GT3, but it might also be a Cayman? Lot of variables. Not there yet.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-08-2022 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-08-2022, 03:58 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,809 Likes on 980 Posts

By turbo, I meant the capital T 911 turbo/s. As far as a base carrera, and carrera s having more sales is rather simple, anyone can place an order for a c2s, but most can’t get an msrp gt3 allocation, unless one’s willing to cough up 100k-150k mark up. Also why didn’t you buy a touring, it’s probably the most beautiful 992 currently in production?
….then that wouldn’t be MSRP. Just poking at the wording.
Old 02-08-2022, 07:17 PM
Sausage416
Pro

Received 336 Likes on 168 Posts

Lol my point exactly.
Old 02-08-2022, 07:18 PM
Sausage416
Pro

Received 336 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog

I can see you’re new to the Porsche game, no offence.
Old 02-08-2022, 07:28 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,226 Likes on 705 Posts

The 991.2 and the 992's selling like hot cakes is a funny one. Yes, they are GREAT cars... But the people buying them are buying them for badge presence and flexing on the Jones'. Ask me how I know. Most of modern 911 people I run into on the streets don't know their dick from a carrot.
The following users liked this post:
Airbag997 (02-21-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 07:36 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

…I prefer my carrot’s cooked. 😳
M3Inline6 (02-08-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 07:38 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

I can see you’re new to the Porsche game, no offence.
No offense, taken. We all have different references.
Old 02-08-2022, 08:33 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,809 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dude41
The 991.2 and the 992's selling like hot cakes is a funny one. Yes, they are GREAT cars... But the people buying them are buying them for badge presence and flexing on the Jones'. Ask me how I know. Most of modern 911 people I run into on the streets don't know their dick from a carrot.
Or maybe it’s the first Porsche they actually liked and aspired to own…….or maybe they’ve just reached a point in life where a Porsche is attainable and/or made sense….

The badge argument could be applicable to the owner of any premium vehicle. Many men these days can’t distinguish their dicks from a carrot, and it has nothing to do with the car they are driving. That’s another discussion altogether though.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 02-08-2022 at 08:34 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by M3Inline6:
911dude41 (02-08-2022), CodyBigdog (02-08-2022), slwong23 (02-09-2022), westcoastj (02-11-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 08:43 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,226 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Inline6
Or maybe it’s the first Porsche they actually liked and aspired to own…….or maybe they’ve just reached a point in life where a Porsche is attainable and/or made sense….

The badge argument could be applicable to the owner of any premium vehicle. Many men these days can’t distinguish their dicks from a carrot, and it has nothing to do with the car they are driving. That’s another discussion altogether though.
You made me LOL. Touche.

Let it be clear that my post was not intended towards any particular trim of 911.. It's basically all of them. One guy at a gas station kept calling it the "LDK" transmission, I just kept nodding.
Old 02-08-2022, 08:58 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,651 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dude41
OK, I'll bite. How do you know that the people buying Porsches (including you I presume) are buying them for badge presence and flexing on the Jones'? I guess I understand how you know you bought it for that reason, but how do you know that about everyone else?
peterdouglas (02-10-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 09:45 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 751 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by The Pinkoboe
”Take this information with a grain of salt but we are starting to hear rumors about a version of Porsche’s 4.0-liter flat-six motor with a smaller displacement that could replace the current 3.0-liter twin-turbo unit.”

https://www.motor1.com/news/565957/p...acelift-spied/
This rumor is doubtful to come true. They will not put the GT3 motor in the regular cars, which leaves the GT4 motor...ending up with a car that is much slower than the current generation. If this rumor is true it will be accompanied with a battery and electric motor.
Old 02-08-2022, 10:14 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 908 Likes on 504 Posts

Is the 992.2 the 2023 car? Or the 2024?
Old 02-08-2022, 10:21 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 751 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
Is the 992.2 the 2023 car? Or the 2024?
Most likely 2024.