Sponsored by:

992.2 Carrera spotted testing

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 02:09 AM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,226 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
OK, I'll bite. How do you know that the people buying Porsches (including you I presume) are buying them for badge presence and flexing on the Jones'? I guess I understand how you know you bought it for that reason, but how do you know that about everyone else?
Is this a trick question aimed at calling me a Poseur or am I reading it wrong?

Either way, to answer your question:

Nearly every time I see a 911, especially 991.2 and newer out in public or on social media it's being used for *look at me* attention. My interactions with the owners/drivers prove this. Decked out in outrageous designer brands, scared to push it or give it any real input, white knuckle grip on 9 and 2. Scowling or looking oblivious... Strike up conversation about the car, they know nothing or spew misinformation. They're glad to talk, but they're just rocking the badge. Its obvious.

Before anyone tries take this and try to spiral this into something negative upon me, I honestly don't care. They can do whatever they want. The post was in regards to 991.2/992 sales. Porsche is a lifestyle brand, if you see it great, if not then oh well. I guess one could argue that since it's a lifestyle brand, they're using the car correctly

Last edited by 911dude41; 02-09-2022 at 02:11 AM.
Old 02-09-2022, 05:20 AM
992uk
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Lots of people buy brands for the image they protect onto others. That has always been the case and is at the very heart of capitalism. The trouble with cars is that others are really looking at the car not the joker sat inside.

Most of us who populate internet forums tend to have a lot of car knowledge which is why I like it here. The other buyers of 911s et al can just bask in their lack of knowledge about what they have bought. Anyway for them it is likely largely transitory until the new shiny thing comes along for them to internally measure their 'worth' on the bling scale of success. I like cars as mechanical devices that are fun to drive, most don't.

For me I am coming to a 992 after two decades of driving Maserati Coupes as my summer cars. I'm looking forward to trying something with more engineering purpose and less left field choice implications.
The following users liked this post:
ron4sc (02-09-2022)
Old 02-09-2022, 09:42 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,651 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dude41
Is this a trick question aimed at calling me a Poseur or am I reading it wrong?

Either way, to answer your question:

Nearly every time I see a 911, especially 991.2 and newer out in public or on social media it's being used for *look at me* attention. My interactions with the owners/drivers prove this. Decked out in outrageous designer brands, scared to push it or give it any real input, white knuckle grip on 9 and 2. Scowling or looking oblivious... Strike up conversation about the car, they know nothing or spew misinformation. They're glad to talk, but they're just rocking the badge. Its obvious.

Before anyone tries take this and try to spiral this into something negative upon me, I honestly don't care. They can do whatever they want. The post was in regards to 991.2/992 sales. Porsche is a lifestyle brand, if you see it great, if not then oh well. I guess one could argue that since it's a lifestyle brand, they're using the car correctly
Not a trick question at all. But it was you that called all of us - and yourself - Poseurs with your blanket statement about Porsche owners. You must see exponentially more 911s and 911 owners than I do to extrapolate from that experience with an assessment of the entire population. I agree that there are many people that buy a 911 for what they think it represents as opposed to what it is. But that is true for clothing, homes, watches, boats and just about any other luxury item. I would wager that the vast majority of people on RL do not fall into that category.
peterdouglas (02-10-2022)
Old 02-09-2022, 09:52 AM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 919 Likes on 484 Posts

Not a trick question at all. But it was you that called all of us - and yourself - Poseurs with your blanket statement about Porsche owners. You must see exponentially more 911s and 911 owners than I do to extrapolate from that experience with an assessment of the entire population. I agree that there are many people that buy a 911 for what they think it represents as opposed to what it is. But that is true for clothing, homes, watches, boats and just about any other luxury item. I would wager that the vast majority of people on RL do not fall into that category.
I would agree that most RL members are not the type of Porsche owners that are only buying them for status. Most RL'ers are enthusiasts which is completely opposite of the other type.
The following 2 users liked this post by 991.1 Guy:
Dan Nagy (02-09-2022), detansinn (02-11-2022)
Old 02-09-2022, 10:21 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,231 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Who cares what people think? Especially those on the Internet. The majority of posts are nothing more than someone’s opinion, and without any data or facts to back up those opinions, they represent noise…in an endless sea of Internet gibberish.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-09-2022 at 10:23 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
dhirm5 (02-21-2022), eXpensiveGears (02-09-2022), icanthelpit (02-09-2022), Lander911 (02-09-2022), M3Inline6 (02-09-2022), rcg412 (02-09-2022), russbert (02-09-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-09-2022, 10:44 AM
centaur
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
…I prefer my carrot’s cooked. 😳
Excellent, that is hilarious.
Old 02-09-2022, 01:41 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

The 991.2 and the 992's selling like hot cakes is a funny one. Yes, they are GREAT cars... But the people buying them are buying them for badge presence and flexing on the Jones'. Ask me how I know. Most of modern 911 people I run into on the streets don't know their dick from a carrot.

TRUE STORY:

Ok, I know you’re just having some fun, nevertheless, earlier today, while getting gas for my 992S an hour ago, I noticed a young lady (early-30’s, and smokin’ hot…I mean the kind of young lady my wife would have gotten upset over had she caught me looking at her!) getting out of her car to get gas. She was across from me but in the next isle). As soon as she inserted the thing into her opening 🤔, to fill up, she started to seriously check out my car….to the point I almost asked her if she wanted a ride…but then I though I would come off as creepy, so I didn’t. But she was checking the car out (I assume it was the car she was looking at &#128563 for maybe a minute or so. Nice complement, without either of us saying a word, for sure.

So, the uptake of this recent encounter is - If getting a Porsche means I got it for the status, or to get noticed, etc….well, I’m OK with that and sign me up!! Oh, and this is NOT the first time that someone has checked out the car while parked, or driving. 😎 Just the most blatant.

Peace Out.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-09-2022 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-09-2022, 02:39 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,590 Likes on 5,083 Posts

…I prefer my carrot’s cooked. 😳
That's what she said too.
Old 02-09-2022, 03:32 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by malba2366
This rumor is doubtful to come true. They will not put the GT3 motor in the regular cars, which leaves the GT4 motor...ending up with a car that is much slower than the current generation. If this rumor is true it will be accompanied with a battery and electric motor.
There may be some credence to this possibility. The writing mentions:
"...we are starting to hear rumors about a version of Porsche’s 4.0-liter flat-six motor with a smaller displacement that could replace the current 3.0-liter twin-turbo unit...."

You'll downsize the displacement only to supplement with a hybrid power. Paradoxically, tighter emission regs made the displacements to go up in size. So, they couldn't downsize from 718's 4.0, which by itself could be slower, without supplementing some other source of power. 992's design inherently can accommodate a hybrid component. .2 Turbo is almost certain to be a Hybrid. If they move up the schedule to hybridize rest of the non-GT lineup, then they must have changed the plans. Early signs indicated no hybrid for regular 992.2 models (non-Turbo).

Or, the exhaust pipes location simply indicates a new Sport Exhaust as evo magazine theorized; possibly due to GPF (my speculation). But, multiple outlets are citing "their sources" about NA. Sure, it could be an echo chamber. One guy/gal launches a "hot bogus tip"; and, it takes a life of its own! Or, there really is something cooking. This is the first source quoting "smaller displacement" which is significant.

Had the proto been spotted on the 'Ring, we would know if it's hybrid since it would have a yellow/orange sticker on the back. We might see these protos on the 'Ring soon. But, unlike Turbo mule, these cars don't have the rear windows blacked out to hide hybrid components in the rear seat area. Or, the hybrid components are ready-enough to be packaged into near-production bodies, leaving no trace visibly.

Originally Posted by malba2366
Most likely 2024.
Yeah, typically after the summer break, which would be next MY.
Old 02-09-2022, 04:18 PM
SpyderTarga
Instructor

Received 173 Likes on 56 Posts

FWIW Porsche recently filed a patent for electric turbochargers, which could point to 720s style TT/TTS turbocharger functionality.
Old 02-09-2022, 04:42 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
I would agree that most RL members are not the type of Porsche owners that are only buying them for status. Most RL'ers are enthusiasts which is completely opposite of the other type.
RL and forums are usually a different story when it come to ownership as that's were most enthusiasts come to flock for motorsport type of reasons. Racing/modding or car show/concours.

Meanwhile:

tourenwagen (02-09-2022)
Old 02-09-2022, 04:45 PM
911dude41
Drifting

TRUE STORY:

Ok, I know you’re just having some fun, nevertheless, earlier today, while getting gas for my 992S an hour ago, I noticed a young lady (early-30’s, and smokin’ hot…I mean the kind of young lady my wife would have gotten upset over had she caught me looking at her!) getting out of her car to get gas. She was across from me but in the next isle). As soon as she inserted the thing into her opening 🤔, to fill up, she started to seriously check out my car….to the point I almost asked her if she wanted a ride…but then I though I would come off as creepy, so I didn’t. But she was checking the car out (I assume it was the car she was looking at &#128563 for maybe a minute or so. Nice complement, without either of us saying a word, for sure.

So, the uptake of this recent encounter is - If getting a Porsche means I got it for the status, or to get noticed, etc….well, I’m OK with that and sign me up!! Oh, and this is NOT the first time that someone has checked out the car while parked, or driving. 😎 Just the most blatant.

Peace Out.
Old 02-09-2022, 05:08 PM
tourenwagen
Three Wheelin'

Received 4,334 Likes on 1,188 Posts

RL and forums are usually a different story when it come to ownership as that's were most enthusiasts come to flock for motorsport type of reasons. Racing/modding or car show/concours.

Meanwhile:

https://youtu.be/o_CyVAOLHhE
I was at that meet
Old 02-09-2022, 05:21 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by tourenwagen
I was at that meet

Love the comment in the vid: “what the Fock”

My only question: stock, or bumped?
Old 02-10-2022, 02:32 AM
911dude41
Drifting

Originally Posted by tourenwagen
I was at that meet
What's the story?

Just watching that video over and over. I can't help but feel for the guy, look how excited he is when he's shoulder checking then looking down to put it in Sport + and turn off PASM

tourenwagen (02-10-2022)

Quick Reply: 992.2 Carrera spotted testing